Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

Post by OCanada »

Are you sitting down. He is not alone. Neither did the Bush and Reagan tax cuts. I believe they recoup about 1/3 or so. In the event a losing strategy hsrming the country
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:17 am Are you sitting down. He is not alone. Neither did the Bush and Reagan tax cuts. I believe they recoup about 1/3 or so. In the event a losing strategy hsrming the country
They "recoup" zero. Not one cent.

You see, the game they play is that they don't just cut taxes and leave spending alone.

They EXPLODE spending....and then point at the incoming taxes from all that spending and say "see? Tax revenue went up!"

....and hope, correctly, that Republican voters are so stupid that they don't notice that they took out a massive loan with the idea of getting tax revenue to go up. And they never notice.

I've used this metaphor dozens of times.......Republican voters don't understand that this is what has happened: on his way home from work, a husband takes out a loan for $100K, walks in the door, and shouts to his wife "honey, our household has increased our revenue!! Time to start spending money!!"

Ignoring, of course, that they have to pay the loan back, plus interest.

Again, because of this moronic "thinking", we're now spending more on payments on interest on Federal debt than we are on educating our kids.

And the Board's Republicans just can't figure out why America's youth would want new leadership that can actually add and subtract. Or who know what compound interest is.......or even just what a loan is. :roll:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:06 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:17 am Are you sitting down. He is not alone. Neither did the Bush and Reagan tax cuts. I believe they recoup about 1/3 or so. In the event a losing strategy hsrming the country

You see, the game they play is that they don't just cut taxes and leave spending alone.

They EXPLODE spending....and then point at the incoming taxes from all that spending and say "see? Tax revenue went up!"

....and hope, correctly, that Republican voters are so stupid that they don't notice that they took out a massive loan with the idea of getting tax revenue to go up. And they never notice.

I've used this metaphor dozens of times.......Republican voters don't understand that this is what has happened: on his way home from work, a husband takes out a loan for $100K, walks in the door, and shouts to his wife "honey, our household has increased our revenue!! Time to start spending money!!"

Again, because of this moronic "thinking", we're now spending more on payments on interest on Federal debt than we are on educating our kids.

And the Board's Republicans just can't figure out why America's youth would want new leadership that can actually add and subtract. Or who know what compound interest is.......or even just what a loan is. :roll:
So AF--what should be the logical conclusion to all the debt piling up? The parties can't keep doing this, can they? Is it possible to default on the loans? All I know about loans is from when I once owned a house. We never had a problem making payments but there was always that knowledge that if we stopped, we would be up a creek without GPS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm

So AF--what should be the logical conclusion to all the debt piling up? The parties can't keep doing this, can they?
Yes! If Trump wins? His plans include more borrowing, and more tax cuts.

Folks who have been around the Forum know that I've told them many times that this game we've been playing with taxes started with Bush, and continues to this day.

Ask the average American....and in particular, Republicans....if their Federal income taxes are higher than they were 20 years ago. Every. single. person. would say yes.

They are LYING, or ignorant, or both. We are paying HALF of what we were in effective taxes that we were under Clinton.

In what world do you think we have enough adult voters in America to put a stop to this...and for Americans to pay for what they get, instead of handing off their tab to their grandchildren?

Did you know that for every dollar a Boomer put into Medicare, for example, they take THREE dollars out? Good luck trying to tell them they're getting more than they paid in.

Although it's REALLY easy to trick them to admitting that they're coasting on younger taxpayer's dime.....just ask them how much money they made in the 60's and 70's. Watch them brag about how little they were paid.......and then ask them....how much do you think that piddly wage put into Medicare coffers? Then ask them just how much they think their medications cost, let alone showing up at a doctor for a serious problem.

Then they get it.

Can you imagine the reaction of the American public if you offered them the fair choice: either we take 3x as much out of your paychecks to cover Medicare, or we'll cut everyone's Medicare bennies by 1/3rd. How bad would they freak out?

Our entire economy has been humming based on this borrowed money for 24 years now, and counting. Watch what happens if you balance the budget....it will be UGLY. And what would make it far worse? Is if we foolishly cut the government to balance the budget, instead of simply paying at the effective tax rates of the 80's and 90's.
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm Is it possible to default on the loans? All I know about loans is from when I once owned a house. We never had a problem making payments but there was always that knowledge that if we stopped, we would be up a creek without GPS.
Sure, it's possible.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:53 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm Is it possible to default on the loans? All I know about loans is from when I once owned a house. We never had a problem making payments but there was always that knowledge that if we stopped, we would be up a creek without GPS.
Sure, it's possible.
Thanks for all the info.

What would happen if the possible became reality? What would the country look like, so to speak? How would it affect your average working Joe?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Once you realize that deficit spending for the past two to three decades, has not moved the needle, impacted any of us in any impactful way, you realize its really just a an election time talking point.....just like the border has been for much the same time.

Relax....it'll all be fine. Before you know it, it will be a global economy and this will a mute point.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:42 pm Once you realize that deficit spending for the past two to three decades, has not moved the needle, impacted any of us in any impactful way, you realize its really just a an election time talking point.....just like the border has been for much the same time.
So.....why was everyone whining about inflation? If it hasn't moved the needle, what's with all the complaining?

And on the flip side of inflation......the massive deficit spending is why the DC area you live in is exploding, YA. Where do you think that all came from, my man? Hard work? :lol:

If you think that the deficit spending has had zero effect......why not increase everyone's taxes, and balance the budget?

Come on, my man....you know all this stuff. You know why it happens, and why your party made the Government 60% bigger in just four years.

Why are you playing dumb?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:47 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:42 pm Once you realize that deficit spending for the past two to three decades, has not moved the needle, impacted any of us in any impactful way, you realize its really just a an election time talking point.....just like the border has been for much the same time.
So.....why was everyone whining about inflation? If it hasn't moved the needle, what's with all the complaining?

And on the flip side of inflation......the massive deficit spending is why the DC area you live in is exploding, YA. Where do you think that all came from, my man? Hard work? :lol:

If you think that the deficit spending has had zero effect......why not increase everyone's taxes, and balance the budget?

Come on, my man....you know all this stuff. You know why it happens, and why your party made the Government 60% bigger in just four years.

That was a direct result of cv19, and like you’ve said on many occasion…..we were learning as we go. Some good, some not. Our revenue is clearly not an issue when we cover the tab for so many proxy nations that require aide. Imagine if we shut off the spigot globally. We’d have the debt paid off in a few years….if not sooner. Then what….other than saying we have surplus and still spending like crazy.

All I’m saying is that deficit spending is not an issue, until it actually becomes one….then we can pivot, when we must, otherwise it’s status quo.

Is it right? Nope!!! But it has not hurt the nation enough to change a damned thing.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:41 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:47 pm

That was a direct result of cv19, and like you’ve said on many occasion…..we were learning as we go. Some good, some not. Our revenue is clearly not an issue when we cover the tab for so many proxy nations that require aide. Imagine if we shut off the spigot globally. We’d have the debt paid off in a few years….if not sooner. Then what….other than saying we have surplus and still spending like crazy.

All I’m saying is that deficit spending is not an issue, until it actually becomes one….then we can pivot, when we must, otherwise it’s status quo.

Is it right? Nope!!! But it has not hurt the nation enough to change a damned thing.
Ah....you're talking about deficit election issue....I'm talking about the reality. Talking past each other, apologies.........

Yeah, they'll do nothing about it.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

debt/deficit

Actually, that's off topic and more suited for the economy thread. Just the same, it is never addressed when a republican is in the White Wash House. It is only addressed when a Democrat is in it. But at least Dems like Obama and Biden offered to reduce it by ending overseas foreign tax havens. Naturally, the Pukies refuse to end the corporate welfare but still blame Dems for the debt/deficit.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm

So AF--what should be the logical conclusion to all the debt piling up? The parties can't keep doing this, can they? Is it possible to default on the loans? All I know about loans is from when I once owned a house. We never had a problem making payments but there was always that knowledge that if we stopped, we would be up a creek without GPS.
Most of the debt has sccumulated under Republican administrations. Well over 50%. The economy dies not function like a light switch it takes time to change directions so there is that effect too
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

If these lawsuits are proven to be true, then it proves AGAIN that there is too little regulation:

Lawsuits accuse General Mills' Cocoa Puffs of having high levels of lead

Popular breakfast cereal Cocoa Puffs is facing accusations of having dangerously high levels of lead, according to two federal lawsuits seeking millions from its parent company General Mills.

The class action lawsuits were filed by consumers Mark Tobin of California and Dante Melendez and Destiny Morrisson of Minnesota. The plaintiffs seek a total of $5 million in damages for consumers who “would not have purchased and consumed [the cereal] had they known the truth about the products.”

In the California suit, the plaintiff alleges that one-cup serving of the cereal contains just under the state’s maximum limit of lead — 0.5 micrograms of the substance. In the Minnesota suit, the plaintiffs allege that “there is no known safe blood lead level, because even small amounts of lead can be harmful to a child’s developing brain,” based on evidence from the Center of Disease Control.

“Almost all consumers, however, substantially exceed the recommended serving size per bowl of cereal,” the lawsuit said.

Read more: https://www.fooddive.com/news/general-m ... ts/723508/

cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”