ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
HarleyX

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by HarleyX »

Think it's time for Pilat to move on from couching. Roanoke's talent these past couple years is in line with the other top ODAC teams, I think there style of play is reckless and their lack of discipline on defense will forever hold them back. I think they have reached their ceiling of being the 3-4th team in the conference.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Cyborg Reticulan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:12 am w&L has Lynchburg's number right now but I do not see them giving salisbury much of a game that lynchburg would have. w&L midfield will have to carry more weight than they have all year and I doubt it will happen against the best team in the country. That salisbury defense will have no trouble with them and it is unfortunate the bugs could not pull out the win yesterday.

salisbury-17 w&L-7
For the sake of its program, it’s a good thing the boys don’t listen to the naysayers.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

HarleyX wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm Think it's time for Pilat to move on from couching. Roanoke's talent these past couple years is in line with the other top ODAC teams, I think there style of play is reckless and their lack of discipline on defense will forever hold them back. I think they have reached their ceiling of being the 3-4th team in the conference.
Be careful what you wish for. Just out of curiosity, who do think or want them to bring in?
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

HarleyX wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm Think it's time for Pilat to move on from couching. Roanoke's talent these past couple years is in line with the other top ODAC teams, I think their style of play is reckless and their lack of discipline on defense will forever hold them back. I think they have reached their ceiling of being the 3-4th team in the conference.
Perhaps Pilat's style is a little old school, some kids it does not bother, and they thrive on it, others sort of wilt. There offensive style the last few seasons has been to push in transition and shoot early in the shot clock. When it's working its very effective. When the opponent took away the transition opportunities and made it 6 on 6 then the offense really struggled to get quality shots. Against the better teams the shooting % was quite low. It seemed as though Pilat (and assistants) were slow to make any in game changes. I'm not sure what you mean by lack of discipline on defense, they really did not have that many penalties. Can you site a few examples?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Lynchburg must be going thru tough times financially, the President just sent out an email to alumni - they are shutting down a bunch of academic programs, laying off a bunch of people, and doing quite a lot of restructuring for cost efficiencies

https://sites.google.com/lynchburg.edu/ ... authuser=0
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

thescottharris wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:24 am Lynchburg must be going thru tough times financially, the President just sent out an email to alumni - they are shutting down a bunch of academic programs, laying off a bunch of people, and doing quite a lot of restructuring for cost efficiencies

Many schools are suffering financially. I give this President credit for recognizing the problem and getting out in front of it. Looks like they had a 12M dollar budget shortfall Dec 2022. Bugs could use some alum to contribute to the 150M endowment.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:07 pm
thescottharris wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:24 am Lynchburg must be going thru tough times financially, the President just sent out an email to alumni - they are shutting down a bunch of academic programs, laying off a bunch of people, and doing quite a lot of restructuring for cost efficiencies

Many schools are suffering financially. I give this President credit for recognizing the problem and getting out in front of it. Looks like they had a 12M dollar budget shortfall Dec 2022. Bugs could use some alum to contribute to the 150M endowment.
Budget shortfall of $12M was in 2020, cut to a little over $4.2M since then.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:07 pm

Budget shortfall of $12M was in 2020, cut to a little over $4.2M since then.

valaxfan
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Not sure Lynchburg can do much more to increase revenue- hard to get many more students when the acceptance rate is 95%.
A Capital Campaign to increase the endowment seems mandatory and more support from the alums.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

And Lynchburg did one of the most callous and inhumane layoff executions I have ever seen in my life.

THey hosted an all-campus meeting to address the employees about it.

They said the layoffs were effective by end of the day and they had until 5 pm to collect their belongings and turn in their ID and keys

And how did they elect to notify each individual who was getting laid off? By reading off all their names from a list in front of everyone at the meeting.
BTM2

Post by BTM2 »

Is that true?
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

BTM2 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:08 pmIs that true?
Pretty messed up if it indeed true
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

The12lov3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:39 pm
Pretty messed up if it indeed true
George Clooney could show them how it is done:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

It's based on reports from multiple people who were there
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

What a gut punch. Highly doubtful anyone in the administration handled a RIF before. Academia doesn't typically go through those motions. Still horrible.

Hope Lynchburg turns it around.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

thescottharris wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:45 pm And Lynchburg did one of the most callous and inhumane layoff executions I have ever seen in my life.

They said the layoffs were effective by end of the day and they had until 5 pm to collect their belongings and turn in their ID and keys

And how did they elect to notify each individual who was getting laid off? By reading off all their names from a list in front of everyone at the meeting.
LYN will be fine. They have 51 majors.
Eliminating 12 undergraduate and 5 graduate programs. Affecting only 4.5% of students. Less than 10% eliminated. Zero lax players.

40 employees have opportunities elsewhere. The departments were identified and known to be on the block..
It’s a business in challenging times. I look back at experiences personally and appreciated efficient and swift vs. “inhuman and callous”. After all, college prepares you to be prepared for tough sledding. Who better than staff to understand that..
Glad those let go are receive severance, healthcare for a period and job counseling.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:42 pm Glad those let go are receive severance, healthcare for a period and job counseling.
As long as your sign away all your rights for any legal claims.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Standard. It’s a tough screw but fiscal responsibility a priority. Can’t kick it down the road.. I’m certain LYN not alone in this regard.
LaxGuru27

Post by LaxGuru27 »

With D3 schools failing all over the country, I have a lot of respect for the president to make these decisions and keep the school afloat and lowering the debt. The majors that were cut has 1-2 students in them and they are allowed to finish their degrees so no harm comes to them. It sucks for the workers that they are getting fired but college is just as much a business as other corporations. They need to make money and if these degrees and professors are harming the school than props to the president for cutting them. The other 95% of students are being thought about and to the other 5% they get to finish out so no harm to them.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:42 pm
thescottharris wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:45 pm And Lynchburg did one of the most callous and inhumane layoff executions I have ever seen in my life.

LYN will be fine. They have 51 majors.
Eliminating 12 undergraduate and 5 graduate programs. Affecting only 4.5% of students. Less than 10% eliminated. Zero lax players.

40 employees have opportunities elsewhere. The departments were identified and known to be on the block..
It’s a business in challenging times. I look back at experiences personally and appreciated efficient and swift vs. “inhuman and callous”. After all, college prepares you to be prepared for tough sledding. Who better than staff to understand that..
Glad those let go are receive severance, healthcare for a period and job counseling.
They might be ok. But never a good sign. And a worse sign if this is how the admin really handled it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”