Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

realitychecks wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:09 am Interested to know if the situation discussed on the transfer portal thread played into the decomitting
Regardless what a haul for Clemson who already had the best midfielder in Pencek now they add the #1 recruit and top attackman / QB in Spallina and now Eisfeld. Seen a few people mention “there’s only 1 ball” AS is a true QB and best passér in the class will she pull it down and dodge yes it’s depends on D Play her as a feeder she dodges and play her as a dodger she’s feeding. Think these recent moves help recruiting in a large way. It will be interesting to see if there are more flips before signing day. Enjoy the summer
I expect to see more. Maybe not as high profile, though. I know of two Ivy league/high academic likely decommits coming soon. Not because the girls changed their mind, but because these schools have changed from test-optional since September for 25s and these girls haven't gotten the minimum scores yet.
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Odds of Taylor Gait heading back to Cuse?
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Quill wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:39 am Odds of Taylor Gait heading back to Cuse?
Zero - not while KT is there (which may not be long…). KT was excluded, due to her recent affair activities, from a “girls” weekend of alum that are all buddies from that era. KT’s former teammates have all but blacklisted her.
Last edited by intheknow247 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:47 am
Zero - not while KT is there (which may not be long…). KT was excluded due to her recent affair activities from a “girls” weekend of alum that are all buddies from that era. KT’s former teammates have all but blacklisted her.
Wow. If true. She’ll be out of Cuse.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:07 am
realitychecks wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:09 am Interested to know if the situation discussed on the transfer portal thread played into the decomitting
Regardless what a haul for Clemson who already had the best midfielder in Pencek now they add the #1 recruit and top attackman / QB in Spallina and now Eisfeld. Seen a few people mention “there’s only 1 ball” AS is a true QB and best passér in the class will she pull it down and dodge yes it’s depends on D Play her as a feeder she dodges and play her as a dodger she’s feeding. Think these recent moves help recruiting in a large way. It will be interesting to see if there are more flips before signing day. Enjoy the summer
I expect to see more. Maybe not as high profile, though. I know of two Ivy league likely decommits coming soon. Not because the girls changed their mind, but because these schools have changed from test-optional since September for 25s and these girls haven't gotten the minimum scores yet.
Which Ivy’s aren’t test optional anymore? What are the scores required for athletes?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:51 am
I expect to see more. Maybe not as high profile, though. I know of two Ivy league likely decommits coming soon. Not because the girls changed their mind, but because these schools have changed from test-optional since September for 25s and these girls haven't gotten the minimum scores yet.
Which Ivy’s aren’t test optional anymore? What are the scores required for athletes?
Penn, Princeton and Columbia, Cornell are test optional in the fall 2024 cycle. Cornell, Penn and Princeton will switch to test requited in fall 2025. Dartmouth, Harvard and Brown switched to tests required for upcoming cycle since last fall.

Ivy League schools require a certain academic index from its athletes (a formula based on a combo of unweighted GPA and test scores). For non-testing schools, its just GPA.

Actual indexes vary a bit by school and sport.
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:47 am
Zero - not while KT is there (which may not be long…). KT was excluded, due to her recent affair activities, from a “girls” weekend of alum that are all buddies from that era. KT’s former teammates have all but blacklisted her.
THEY DIDN’T INVITE HER TO A GIRLS WEEKEND?! OH THE HUMANITY!

Worst post of the year.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

From what I've heard, it had nothing to do with it. There's been a general lack of communication between coach and player for some time for some reason.
njbill

Post by njbill »

One of the posts in this thread (I think it’s this thread) said the affair began in October of last year. When did it come to the attention of the Syracuse administration? Did they conduct an investigation? What were the results? What action, if any, has been taken? Or has the investigation closed with no action having been taken?

This is now just being reported on this board, but it seems to be quite possible that Syracuse has already taken final action, whatever that might be, perhaps months ago.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

I had heard last fall that pencek could not get far enough away from Spallina and wanted to be the top dog at Clemson. Wonder if this has changed or if she’s aggravated with signing. Only what I had heard from club chatter ….
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:47 pm
From what I've heard, it had nothing to do with it. There's been a general lack of communication between coach and player for some time for some reason.
hmmm brings up a point that is worth bearing in mind for recruits/commits. I remember being somewhat surprised by the scarcity of communication between coaches and commits between junior year of hs and arrival on campus. It is a looong wait for players and families and a bit of attention from the staff goes a long way. In a landscape where programs now have another assistant coach and money is potentially flowing more freely, I wonder if/how coaches will be keeping closer tabs on their commits.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:28 pm
hmmm brings up a point that is worth bearing in mind for recruits/commits. I remember being somewhat surprised by the scarcity of communication between coaches and commits between junior year of hs and arrival on campus. It is a looong wait for players and families and a bit of attention from the staff goes a long way. In a landscape where programs now have another assistant coach and money is potentially flowing more freely, I wonder if/how coaches will be keeping closer tabs on their commits.
100%. And from what I've heard, AS had not heard from Kayla since November. There were a myriad of things that went into the commitment change. I don't believe the personal issues with the coaches really played a role in it. I'm sure the disarray isn't helping things though.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Madlax59 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:12 pm
I had heard last fall that pencek could not get far enough away from Spallina and wanted to be the top dog at Clemson. Wonder if this has changed or if she’s aggravated with signing. Only what I had heard from club chatter ….
No idea but I’m sure any transfer in or commit like that secretly bothers most of the kids. Especially transfers.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:28 pm
When you’re a top player you probably should be treated a little differently. But most coaches aren’t calling in to check every week. In my experience. Once in the late fall. Once in the spring and whenever they want you at one of their camps. But if I was the rated number 1 recruit, I would want a little more attention. I assume the same thing happened to Eisfeld or is it a case where ever you go o go because we are besties.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:36 pm
Penn, Princeton and Columbia, Cornell are test optional in the fall 2024 cycle. Cornell, Penn and Princeton will switch to test requited in fall 2025. Dartmouth, Harvard and Brown switched to tests required for upcoming cycle since last fall.

Ivy League schools require a certain academic index from its athletes (a formula based on a combo of unweighted GPA and test scores). For non-testing schools, its just GPA.

Actually indexes vary a bit by school and sport.
Y’all have been helpful before, so thanks for responses to other posts.

My daughter attends a super selective magnet high school (think TJ in VA type school - ranked in the top 40 HS in USA by USNews). It’s hard as hell. I swear her freshman coursework was harder than my (Ivy) courseload. The high school takes pride in offering very difficult classes and hard grading (no curves, etc.).

Point being: Her unweighted GPA is not going to be great. The high school counselors say that colleges will care more about rigor and weighted GPA. Yet your post (and others) suggest unweighted GPA matters more for elite academic/lax schools for recurring.

So the question is: For recruiting purposes (high academic, Ivy aspirations, but casting a wide wide net) will coaches look at the rigor of the school or just prefer a great GPA at a “regular” high school?

We’ve debated transferring her to a “regular” high school where As will be easy to come by (not just for lax here but for having a more normal HS life).
Last edited by Bluecollar on Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I would’ve thought BC would be a better fit for Spallina and her game. Playing under Apuzzo & AWW and they graduate Lopinto & Davis the year before. She could easily be the quarterback of that offense and they are proven contenders. Clemson will be good, but I think they lack a few things that take them out of championship contender level, but they are a top 15 team in 2026 for sure.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bluecollar wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:26 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:36 pm

Actually indexes vary a bit by school and sport.
Y’all have been helpful before, so thanks for responses to other posts.

My daughter attends a super selective magnet high school (think TJ in VA type school - ranked in the top 40 HS in USA bu USNews). It’s hard as hell. I swear her freshman coursework was harder than my (Ivy) courseload. The school take pride in offering very difficult classes and hard grading (no curves, etc.).

Point being: her unweighted GPA is not going to be great. the school counselors say that colleges will care more about rigor and weighted GPA. Yet your post (and others) suggest unweighted GPA matters more for elite academic/lax schools for recurring.

So the question is: for recruiting purposes (high academic, Ivy aspirations, but casting a wide wide net) will coaches look at the rigor of the school or just prefer a great GPA at a “regular” high school?

We’ve debated transferring her to a “regular” high school where As will be easy to come by (not just for lax here but for having a more normal HS life).
Feel free to DM me. I had a niece in a similar situation. Some stuff I don't feel comfortable posting on a public forum.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

uncfan1013 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:28 pm I would’ve thought BC would be a better fit for Spallina and her game. Playing under Apuzzo & AWW and they graduate Lopinto & Davis the year before. She could easily be the quarterback of that offense and they are proven contenders. Clemson will be good, but I think they lack a few things that take them out of championship contender level, but they are a top 15 team in 2026 for sure.
I actually think the best place for her would be Michigan. A team on the rise with great defense but only a couple playmakers on offense. A school where she could make an immediate impact, but far enough away from a spotlight it would mitigate pressure.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:42 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:28 pm I would’ve thought BC would be a better fit for Spallina and her game. Playing under Apuzzo & AWW and they graduate Lopinto & Davis the year before. She could easily be the quarterback of that offense and they are proven contenders. Clemson will be good, but I think they lack a few things that take them out of championship contender level, but they are a top 15 team in 2026 for sure.
I actually think the best place for her would be Michigan. A team on the rise with great defense but only a couple playmakers on offense. A school where she could make an immediate impact, but far enough away from a spotlight it would mitigate pressure.
Well I hear someone else from cuse is going to bc but I don’t have concrete info on that yet
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

I wonder if these 2025 kids flipping to Clemson, 3 so far, will cause some current Clemson players to enter portal? It's pretty clear which basket the coaching staff is placing their eggs.....there will be a bunch of seniors cheering on this freshman class from the sideline come the spring of 2026

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”