The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: 2024

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:07 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:46 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
Why is she in that job ? Certainly not based on her work experience ? Food for thought.
Someone should take Saltine's shovel so he will stop digging before he ends up in the Forbidden City!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OS, FFS, have you seen her CV? In what world is she not qualified?

What's the problem with this....?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Khan
She’s not a man. She’s not white. She wasn’t in a branch of the armed services. She works on a Democratic administration. So? The devil, and underqualified to boot. You give this bonehead too much air time.
She's not qualified. No business experience. An academic with an agenda, defending her PhD thesis.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Old news. Ichan's attempt at a BoD takeover failed. He's now just a pissed off shareholder, like me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:27 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:09 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:25 pm Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
Clearly you're invested in the details of this company...which tells me you're lying to me here, and I don't understand why.

Illumina has acquired over a dozen other companies. You're making the FTC sound smarter and smarter with every post.

80% marketshare, and they want more? And your argument is that the world will fall apart if you don't let them keep snapping up the competition?

Sorry man, not at all on board. Neither is anyone else that doesn't own stock in this monopoly.

https://tracxn.com/d/acquisitions/acqui ... ync9F7jZTk
Economy of scale. Any hostile takeovers ? Did Illumina pay a fair price ? Did the acquisitions stifle development or boost developments ?
We're talking R&D in a niche tech tech sector. ILMN is still available, at a now depressed price.
If I have more time available tonight, I may but Grail at the open on Monday.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:31 pm
Old news. Ichan's attempt at a BoD takeover failed. He's now just a pissed off shareholder, like me.
You are not only whining, you are also angry.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:33 pm
You're right. I'm beyond whining. I'm very angry. NOBODY saw this coming from the FTC, not even their own Judge.
Political agenda interfering in the market.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:31 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:25 pm Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
Clearly you're invested in the details of this company...which tells me you're lying to me here, and I don't understand why.

Illumina has acquired over a dozen other companies. You're making the FTC sound smarter and smarter with every post.

80% marketshare, and they want more? And your argument is that the world will fall apart if you don't let them keep snapping up the competition?

Sorry man, not at all on board. Neither is anyone else that doesn't own stock in this monopoly.

Economy of scale. Any hostile takeovers ? Did Illumina pay a fair price ? Did the acquisitions stifle development or boost developments ?
We're talking R&D in a niche tech tech sector. ILMN is still available, at a now depressed price.
If I have more time available tonight, I may but Grail at the open on Monday.
It did pretty well on Day #1. Let's see what Khan's marketplace does to help Grail get their cancer test to market.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:35 pm
You're right. I'm beyond whining. I'm very angry. NOBODY saw this coming from the FTC, not even their own Judge.
Political agenda interfering in the market.
https://www.wsj.com/tech/after-illumina ... ls-c95c9e8
llumina’s purchase of Grail was announced in 2020 and closed in 2021.
It involved two companies that didn’t compete with each other: Illumina sells gene-sequencing products, including to Grail, which uses them to run its blood tests to detect cancer. Such “vertical mergers” hadn’t traditionally raised regulators’ red flags and prompted pushback.

Blindsided by agenda drive politicians, academics & think tankers.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OS....FFS. You think that a company with a 16 Billion+ market cap just can't hack the economy of scale?

Your entire argument is absurd on its face. Your'e telling us that it's INSANE and out of left field that the FTC would block yet another acquisition made by a company that already owns 80% of a market?

Dude. This doesn't pass the laugh test. It makes PERFECT sense that it was blocked. And sorry, it's ABURD to claim that this massive company can no longer function if it doesn't have 90% of the marketshare.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wait.... so European regulators blocked the buy, too? Well, now you're out of legs to stand on, OS.

Earlier this month, Icahn sent an open letter to shareholders saying that the Illumina lost $50 billion in market capitalization since August 2021 as a direct result of "ill-advised (and frankly inexplicable) actions" taken in connection with the $8 billion acquisition of cancer-detection test maker GRAIL in September 2020.

Illumina closed the deal in August 2021, ahead of European regulatory approval. Last year, European officials ruled that it violated antitrust rules and ordered a divestiture. Illumina is appealing the decision.

Icahn, who holds a 1.4% stake in Illumina, claimed that, because of the costly bungling of the GRAIL purchase, the management team and board should be fired and investigated. He indicated that, over the past few weeks, "we have been working privately to try to find a way to help Illumina and our fellow shareholders," but to no avail, so the decision was made to launch a proxy contest.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:14 pm
Wait.... so European regulators blocked the buy, too? Well, now you're out of legs to stand on, OS.

Earlier this month, Icahn sent an open letter to shareholders saying that the Illumina lost $50 billion in market capitalization since August 2021 as a direct result of "ill-advised (and frankly inexplicable) actions" taken in connection with the $8 billion acquisition of cancer-detection test maker GRAIL in September 2020.

Illumina closed the deal in August 2021, ahead of European regulatory approval. Last year, European officials ruled that it violated antitrust rules and ordered a divestiture. Illumina is appealing the decision.

Icahn, who holds a 1.4% stake in Illumina, claimed that, because of the costly bungling of the GRAIL purchase, the management team and board should be fired and investigated. He indicated that, over the past few weeks, "we have been working privately to try to find a way to help Illumina and our fellow shareholders," but to no avail, so the decision was made to launch a proxy contest.
Biden put Icahn up to it….he also told the European regulators to canned it…..I wonder what Chinese regulators thought about the deal?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:19 pm Trump complimented his daughter. Biden actually raped his own daughter and molested countless others with photo and video evidence. The Epstein Island thing has been debunked. As soon as Trump realized who Epstein really was, he banned him from his properties and disowned him. Meanwhile Joe Biden kept on molesting innocent people. You live in New Jersey. One of the heavily taxed states in the country. Epstein didn’t commit suicide. He was killed by the Clinton cabal because Bill Clinton went to Epstein’s island dozens of times. It’s amazing how all you do is lie. Yet simp so hard for Biden who is a known rapist and pedophile. You support incest, rape and pedophilia. You’re such a good little Democrat. Enjoy living in New Jersey which is the armpit in the US and being destroyed by Democrats.
This smells a lot like trolling. Either curb your rhetoric or we'll curb it for you.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Scoreboard update:

Sinbinned reported posters - 0
gfy, nothing to see here - 2, +1 stern warning.
Keep swingin'.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:08 pm

OS....FFS. You think that a company with a 16 Billion+ market cap just can't hack the economy of scale?

Your entire argument is absurd on its face. Your'e telling us that it's INSANE and out of left field that the FTC would block yet another acquisition made by a company that already owns 80% of a market?

Dude. This doesn't pass the laugh test. It makes PERFECT sense that it was blocked. And sorry, it's ABURD to claim that this massive company can no longer function if it doesn't have 90% of the marketshare.
The economy of scale benefits Grail & the other smaller firms which Illumina purchased. It's the way of the world in the tech sector.
Smaller companies with an innovation are bought out by larger companies better able to complete development, testing, regulatory approval. production, & distribution. It is expected & mutually beneficial. Win-Win. No hostile takeovers.

Dude . It's not my argument. It's the legal position of the largest company in the sector.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:41 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:08 pm

The economy of scale benefits Grail & the other smaller firms which Illumina purchased. It's the way of the world in the tech sector.
Smaller companies with an innovation are bought out by larger companies better able to complete development, testing, regulatory approval. production, & distribution. It is expected & mutually beneficial. Win-Win. No hostile takeovers.

Dude . It's not my argument. It's the legal position of the largest company in the sector.
https://www.mayerbrown.com/en/insights/ ... nvironment

https://www.ropesgray.com/en/insights/v ... -for-grail
Typical Lax Dad

old salt

Post by old salt »

I addressed that earlier. The EC did not have jurisdiction.
With regard to the European Union, Illumina justified closing the deal by taking the position that it did not believe the European Commission nor its member states had jurisdiction over the transaction, given that GRAIL has no business in the European Union.

This was unprecedented by the EC. Neither company is located in a member state.
The EC does not dictate policy to US companies. EC approval is not required for a merger of 2 US companies. If Illumina developed Grail's cancer test & brought it to market, would the EC deny it to patients in the EU ?

https://www.wsgr.com/en/insights/illumi ... olicy.html

...the European Commission’s (EC’s) ability to review transactions that did not meet EU-level or national thresholds but were referred to the EC by an EU Member State under Article 22 of the EU Merger Regulation (EUMR).

Advocate General (AG) Emiliou’s Opinion criticizes the EC’s revised Article 22 EUMR policy, noting that the GC’s ruling would give rise to a “very significant extension” of the EC’s jurisdiction, with the EC being able to “review almost any concentration, occurring anywhere in the world.”
Last edited by old salt on Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:03 pm

I addressed that earlier. The EC did not have jurisdiction. This was unprecedented by the EC. Neither company is located in a member state.
The EC does not dictate policy to US companies. EC approval is not required for a merger of 2 US companies. If Illumina developed Grail's cancer test & brought it to market, would the EC deny it to patients in the EU ?

...the European Commission’s (EC’s) ability to review transactions that did not meet EU-level or national thresholds but were referred to the EC by an EU Member State under Article 22 of the EU Merger Regulation (EUMR).

Advocate General (AG) Emiliou’s Opinion criticizes the EC’s revised Article 22 EUMR policy, noting that the GC’s ruling would give rise to a “very significant extension” of the EC’s jurisdiction, with the EC being able to “review almost any concentration, occurring anywhere in the world.”
You should let the attorneys know this. Write a terse letter. Meanwhile in the real world: https://investors.grail.com/investor-relations/
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:05 pm

I addressed that earlier. The EC did not have jurisdiction. This was unprecedented by the EC. Neither company is located in a member state.

You should let the attorneys know this. Write a terse letter. Meanwhile in the real world: https://investors.grail.com/investor-relations/
Your link explained it accurately.

With regard to the European Union, Illumina justified closing the deal by taking the position that it did not believe the European Commission nor its member states had jurisdiction over the transaction, given that GRAIL has no business in the European Union.

In early 2023, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (the “Chamber”) published 332 records it obtained following protracted litigation of a 2022 FOIA request for communications between the FTC and enforcers outside the United States regarding the Illumina/GRAIL transaction. Shortly after publication of these records, Illumina requested that the ALJ reopen the record to admit additional documents, which Illumina argued raised due process concerns because the documents indicated that the FTC was potentially improperly coordinating with foreign antitrust authorities. The Chamber alleged that the competition enforcers were engaged in “forum shopping,” with the European Union taking action soon after the ALJ had approved the deal. A Chamber official was quoted as stating, “t appears that what’s occurring here with the Federal Trade Commission isn’t international regulatory cooperation. Instead, it’s international regulatory collusion.”1

Illumina then made similar assertions in its briefing once the case arrived before the FTC on appeal. The FTC dismissed those due process concerns, .
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:08 pm

In early 2023, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (the “Chamber”) published 332 records it obtained following protracted litigation of a 2022 FOIA request for communications between the FTC and enforcers outside the United States regarding the Illumina/GRAIL transaction. Shortly after publication of these records, Illumina requested that the ALJ reopen the record to admit additional documents, which Illumina argued raised due process concerns because the documents indicated that the FTC was potentially improperly coordinating with foreign antitrust authorities. The Chamber alleged that the competition enforcers were engaged in “forum shopping,” with the European Union taking action soon after the ALJ had approved the deal. A Chamber official was quoted as stating, “t appears that what’s occurring here with the Federal Trade Commission isn’t international regulatory cooperation. Instead, it’s international regulatory collusion.”1

Illumina then made similar assertions in its briefing once the case arrived before the FTC on appeal. The FTC dismissed those due process concerns, .

I know it did. And I may buy Grail tomorrow morning. You can keep pouting…..they all got it wrong. You should have served as General Counsel for Illumina.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:16 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:08 pm

I know it did. And I may buy Grail tomorrow morning. You can keep pouting.
Welcome aboard. As an Illumina shareholder, I automatically have a seat in the Grail lifeboat.
I just hope that Khan & her EU co-conspirators didn't kill 2 great companies.
Last edited by old salt on Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”