The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:15 pm
Wait....OS, I guess I misunderstood.

Is your complaint with Khan is that she's trying rein in the monopolies that are killing our country?

Yeah. We don't agree. Not even a little.

FFS, my former Senator Ken Buck (R) supports breaking them up. So does anyone who supports health capitalism and competition.

So do consumers who don't want to be gauged.

The ONLY folks who want monopolies are 1%ers.....because it makes monopolies more profitable for their shareholders. So no, I'm not upset that Carl Ichan has one fewer yacht to water ski behind, sorry.

I thought you were complaining about Khans internal FTC issues.

ANYONE who breaks up monopolies and anti-competitive trade practices has more support.

It was the Republican-led FTC that went after Ma Bell. Books have been written about alllll the good things that came from that break up. Innovations, pricing, etc. etc.

This is a CONSERVATIVE, capitalist view. I can tell you monopolistic practices that happen in my trade until the cows come home.
Joe is also in charge of European regulators.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:19 pm

Is your complaint with Khan is that she's trying rein in the monopolies that are killing our country?

FFS, my former Senator Ken Buck (R) supports breaking them up. So does anyone who supports health capitalism and competition.

The ONLY folks who want monopolies are 1%ers.....because it makes monopolies more profitable for their shareholders. So no, I'm not upset that Carl Ichan has one fewer yacht to water ski behind, sorry.

ANYONE who breaks up monopolies and anti-competitive trade practices has more support.

It was the Republican-led FTC that went after Ma Bell. Books have been written about alllll the good things that came from that break up. Innovations, pricing, etc. etc.

This is a CONSERVATIVE, capitalist view. I can tell you monopolistic practices that happen in my trade until the cows come home.
afan -- you're talking in generalities. I'm talking about 1 specific company which was not a threat to anyone.

TLD -- Grail does not, & has no intention, to produce or market in EUrope.
Khan went to the EU when her own FTC Judge ruled against her.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
Why is she in that job ? Certainly not based on her work experience ? Food for thought.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:19 pm

afan -- you're talking in generalities. I'm talking about 1 specific company which was not a threat to anyone.

TLD -- Grail does not, & has no intention, to produce or market in EUrope.
Khan went to the EU when her own FTC Judge ruled against her.
I am watching Euro Cup now.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
Why is she in that job ? Certainly not based on her work experience ? Food for thought.
Someone should take Saltine's shovel so he will stop digging before he ends up in the Forbidden City!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pmafan -- you're talking in generalities. I'm talking about 1 specific company which was not a threat to anyone.
In your opinion, they were not a threat. If the complaint is that Khan won her case, and broke them up?

The Courts disagree with your opinion.

I'm 1000% on board with breaking up monopolies, and have said as much MANY times over the years. I'm sure you'll be just fine with her if she gets to go after facebook and the like.

We can agree to disagree, no?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pmafan -- you're talking in generalities. I'm talking about 1 specific company which was not a threat to anyone.
In your opinion, they were not a threat. If the complaint is that Khan won her case, and broke them up?

I'm 1000% on board with breaking up monopolies, and have said as much MANY times over the years. I'm sure you'll be just fine with her if she gets to go after facebook and the like.

a fan

Post by a fan »

Kismet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:33 pm
Someone should take Saltine's shovel so he will stop digging before he ends up in the Forbidden City!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OS, FFS, have you seen her CV? In what world is she not qualified?

What's the problem with this....?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Khan
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:46 pm

Everyone knows that people are as qualified and only get ahead because of quotas, affirmative action and DEI initiatives. Just look at her….
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:42 pm

Nothing was broken up. Illumina was prevented from reacquiring Grail, which Illumina had started up as a subsidiary.
The FTC Judge assigned to the case decided in Illumina's favor.
Khan then intervened & overruled her own FTC Judge's ruling.
Illumina is not a monopoly. They are an industry leader -- based on merit.
No other company can do for Grail what Illumina was capable of & prepared to do.
khan's interference is anti-progress & a publicity stunt.
Illumina is not Amazon or Microsoft. She had to get a Win after her high profile losses to tech giants.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:52 pm

Nothing was broken up. Illumina was prevented from reacquiring Grail, which Illumina had started up as a subsidiary.
No other company can do for Grail what Illumina was capable of & prepared to do.
Illumina is not Amazon or Microsoft. She had to get a Win after her high profile losses to tech giants.
You lost me. How did not buying up another company hurt illimina's innovation?

Both companies are still operating. What's the problem?

And I just looked it up: Illumina has 80% marketshare?

OS, FFS, what the firetruck are you complaining about?

https://frontlinegenomics.com/how-did-i ... ng-market/
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:04 pm

https://investors.grail.com/investor-relations/

Has a $478 million market cap.
old salt

Post by old salt »

What am I complaining about ? When Illumia & Grail announced the reacquisition, ILMN peaked at $516/sh.
After being gutted by Khan, ILMN traded at $106/sh when GRAL was finally spun off on June 28.
...I wonder who shorted ILMN ?

Illumina started Grail. It would not exist, nor would it's new cancer test have been developed, without Illumina. Grail is still bogged down in getting the test approved. Insurers still won't cover it's cost. It still costs patients $950/test, out of pocket.
Had Illumina & Grail been allowed to proceed as they intended, the test would already be approved, in production & covered by insurers.

Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
No other firm has stepped up to help Grail. They're on their own.
Despite all the yammering about monopolies, no other firm has developed to do anywhere near what Illumina can do.
Thanks to Khan, all we ILMN shareholders are also GRAL shareholders,
& the sum of the parts is far less than the whole would have been.
...& cancer patients are still waiting &/or paying.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:25 pm

What am I complaining about ? When Illumia & Grail announced the reacquisition, ILMN peaked at $516/sh.
After being gutted by Khan, ILMN traded at $106/sh when GRAL was finally spun off on June 28.
...I wonder who shorted ILMN ?

Illumina started Grail. It would not exist, nor would it's new cancer test have been developed, without Illumina. Grail is still bogged down in getting the test approved. Insurers still won't cover it's cost. It still costs patients $950/test, out of pocket.
Had Illumina & Grail been allowed to proceed as they intended, the test would already be approved, in production & covered by insurers.

Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
No other firm has stepped up to help Grail. They're on their own.
Despite all the yammering about monopolies, no other firm has developed to do anywhere near what Illumina can do.
Thanks to Khan, all we ILMN shareholders are also GRAL shareholders,
& the sum of the parts is far less than the whole would have been.
...& cancer patients are still waiting &/or paying.
Still whining….Spain just went up 3-1! Nico Williams Jr Roofed it!! Georgia got the first. About to exit Euros.
Typical Lax Dad

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:46 pm

She’s not a man. She’s not white. She wasn’t in a branch of the armed services. She works on a Democratic administration. So? The devil, and underqualified to boot. You give this bonehead too much air time.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:25 pm Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
Clearly you're invested in the details of this company...which tells me you're lying to me here, and I don't understand why.

Illumina has acquired over a dozen other companies. You're making the FTC sound smarter and smarter with every post.

80% marketshare, and they want more? And your argument is that the world will fall apart if you don't let them keep snapping up the competition?

Sorry man, not at all on board. Neither is anyone else that doesn't own stock in this monopoly.

https://tracxn.com/d/acquisitions/acqui ... ync9F7jZTk
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:09 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:25 pm Illumina has 80% market share based on merit. Grail & their cancer test would not exist, were it not for Illumina.
Clearly you're invested in the details of this company...which tells me you're lying to me here, and I don't understand why.

Illumina has acquired over a dozen other companies. You're making the FTC sound smarter and smarter with every post.

80% marketshare, and they want more? And your argument is that the world will fall apart if you don't let them keep snapping up the competition?

Sorry man, not at all on board. Neither is anyone else that doesn't own stock in this monopoly.

https://tracxn.com/d/acquisitions/acqui ... ync9F7jZTk
Economy of scale. Any hostile takeovers ? Did Illumina pay a fair price ? Did the acquisitions stifle development or boost developments ?
We're talking R&D in a niche tech tech sector. ILMN is still available, at a now depressed price.

Return to “POLITICS”