Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cdb

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by cdb »

In football, players are not required to report to the portal when they have found a new school.

These women are good students, so they should ensure that transfer credits match the new school's requirements -- e.g that all of their credits will transfer to the new school. They also should ensure that they do not have any paid bills at their old school. There is no requirement for the old school to maintain their scholarship once they enter the portal nor to allow access to any school benefits. The old school will not release their transcripts if any money is still due -- some may be surprised at these requirements.

I don't expect transfers have to worry about disingenuous offers as football players do. It is a fairly common practice to approach several players and indicate they will receive an offer to get them to enter the portal and then choose the one that best fits their team leaving the others to find another school. So, football players have to exercise great care -- I cannot imagine these women would face that kind of tactic in WLAX.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

D-Lax wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:15 pm Jenny Markey to Florida. Reunited with Regy Thorpe and Nicole Levy.
Regy left before she even got to cuse
Lax832s

Post by Lax832s »

Laxfan212 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:58 pm
Lax832s wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:38 pm Why are there so many transfers from schools like Xavier(11), Virginia tech(8), oregon(5), and Louisville(5). Some of these are not bad schools so I’m wondering why there’s so many players transferring. Also how will this effect recruiting with incoming classes like the 24s, 25s, and 26s.
Because there are various problems at these schools (primarily disgruntled kids with various issues with the coaching staffs). I doubt it will affect recruiting much - there are always way more kids who want to play Division 1 lacrosse than spots available, so even if a team seems undesirable for whatever reason, there will always be kids willing to play there because they want to play Division 1 lacrosse and they don’t have a better opportunity.
I mean are they going to have to offset this by recruiting more 26’s or are they going to look back at other 25’s. Also it is interesting to see 7 transfers from Oregon as they had a successful season as well as being under new leadership this year.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Lax832s wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:45 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:58 pm
Lax832s wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:38 pm Why are there so many transfers from schools like Xavier(11), Virginia tech(8), oregon(5), and Louisville(5). Some of these are not bad schools so I’m wondering why there’s so many players transferring. Also how will this effect recruiting with incoming classes like the 24s, 25s, and 26s.
Because there are various problems at these schools (primarily disgruntled kids with various issues with the coaching staffs). I doubt it will affect recruiting much - there are always way more kids who want to play Division 1 lacrosse than spots available, so even if a team seems undesirable for whatever reason, there will always be kids willing to play there because they want to play Division 1 lacrosse and they don’t have a better opportunity.
I mean are they going to have to offset this by recruiting more 26’s or are they going to look back at other 25’s. Also it is interesting to see 7 transfers from Oregon as they had a successful season as well as being under new leadership this year.
I only see 5 from Oregon? 2 are goalies so I have to guess there’s something going on there.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Ava Peers from Louisville to Syracuse.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Kology from the Gators heading to UVA
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:54 am Ava Peers from Louisville to Syracuse.
Going back home makes sense for her.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:54 am Ava Peers from Louisville to Syracuse.
Sister is heading there 2025
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Rosga is an interesting case. She doesn't have high end talent but has solid intangibles. Dominated against weaker competition in Minnesota and may have received the wurzbugurger "hype" boost as a result (CW significantly more talented). Also for some reason Inside Lacrosse was marketing her hard during her senior year. Over some players who actually had star potential. i found that interesting.

Under the right system she'll be a good player but Idk if NW would be the best fit. Not guaranteed she cracks the starting lineup there either. I think a school like Michigan or Ohio State would be better.

As for Lacey Downey, i kind of saw it coming. I was critical of BC and their approach of choosing to load up on top transfers instead of developing their younger talent. It was a big gamble, especially since it didn't work out in previous years and had it not this year, it could have been disastrous for the program.. but it worked out for them. LoPinto and Clark were just enough to push them over the hump so losing Downey won't hurt as much because recruiting will stay at a high level when you have a ring to show for it. I thought Downey looked like the prototypical BC player. Strong 2 way game, athletic, and a workhorse. So there is sill some value lost there for BC with her leaving
cdb

Post by cdb »

Interesting about Downey. I researched that she just played in two games with BC, while their other highly rated freshmen all played in many more games -- BC has built its program with transfers over the years, I do know I agree that last year was any riskier than other years. I also noted that many of their best players had significant playing time, including starting, as freshman. Asking former graduates of BC, they told me that Coach Walker-Weinstein came out of the MD system, where you run and run and then run some more and play awesome D the entire field. BC does the same thing. Folks may forget how close the semi's a couple of years ago were between MD and BC -- either team could have won -- BC just barely prevailed after trailing most of the game. I just re-watched that game and it was like to boxer fighting it out punch for punch. BC relies on D and speed to make up for its draw control losses. That will work against a team that isn't able to keep up with the speed -- not indiivual player wise -- but as team. That is why we have seen BC come back against teams -- that is why North Carolina was able to come back 8 goals against NW in the final quarter -- perhaps that is not a style that Downey wanted to play in -- but that has been BC's style under Walker-Weinstein.

One could also argue that schools that are recruiting many of best young players -- e.g. North Carolina -- have to figure out a way to get them all playing time while trying to win. 5 stars expect get significant playing time. You might remember Texas A&M recruiting the best incoming freshman football team of all time a few years ago -- most all 5 stars and very high 4s. Usually players take a year of so to learn a new system and are developed more slowly -- at least in football -- well, it didn't work -- and most of those players left the program in the portal.

As graduates we all love the schools we attended and have developed a deep loyalty to them. In some cases these talented young ladies may have always dreamed of playing lacrosse for their school, but many of these very talented players are expecting to step in and make significant contributions to the programs. Some of them go to a camp at the school they choose and decide that is the school for them forgetting that one of the jobs of the folks at these camps is to sell the school to players that as seen as potential great college players.

The players I saw most impacted by the transfers of Clark and LaPinto at BC were the Hasselbeck sisters, whose playing time was greatly diminished during the season and playoffs. Neither of these transfers are midfielders.

It might be that it was just a poor fit and Downey will have a much better chance to show off her stuff at her new school. She certainly comes out of one of the best areas for high school lacrosse as one of its best players.No one would talk about this situation of the folks I tried to reach at BC (I admit I am not that connected), but I doubt any school would have discussed this anyway -- out of respect for the player and who wants to talk about a young player entering the transfer portal -- it is a failure.

I don't think we can draw a conclusion one way or the other without talking with the player -- perhaps she just didn't like attending BC as a student -- there are lots of potential reasons why I talented kid might transfer.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

The bigger problem with the freshmen search year is you have these girls that are pumped up by some sketchy rankings from Inside Lacrosse. Lacey Downey was no where near as good as her ranking. The same with Rosga, the Hasselbecks, Lapointe, Locasio, etc. it’s like college football where if you committed ohio State you get an extra star. UNC, Maryland, Northwestern and Syracuse recruits get an extra star from IL just for committing there. Look at the rosters for all American game and you can see that. The players all see it. I heard a couple club coaches say that they played Rosga 4 times that summer and she might have had an assist. Her and Downey should both become defenders in college.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:17 am Rosga is an interesting case. She doesn't have high end talent but has solid intangibles. Dominated against weaker competition in Minnesota and may have received the wurzbugurger "hype" boost as a result (CW significantly more talented). Also for some reason Inside Lacrosse was marketing her hard during her senior year. Over some players who actually had star potential. i found that interesting.

Under the right system she'll be a good player but Idk if NW would be the best fit. Not guaranteed she cracks the starting lineup there either. I think a school like Michigan or Ohio State would be better.

As for Lacey Downey, i kind of saw it coming. I was critical of BC and their approach of choosing to load up on top transfers instead of developing their younger talent. It was a big gamble, especially since it didn't work out in previous years and had it not this year, it could have been disastrous for the program.. but it worked out for them. LoPinto and Clark were just enough to push them over the hump so losing Downey won't hurt as much because recruiting will stay at a high level when you have a ring to show for it. I thought Downey looked like the prototypical BC player. Strong 2 way game, athletic, and a workhorse. So there is sill some value lost there for BC with her leaving
To be fair to Rosga, I watched her play several times during her sophomore year for YJ. She was the best athlete,by far, on an outstanding team.

I think the reality is that she hasn’t fully recovered from her ACL tear. You see this a lot in lacrosse players where speed and agility is their top talent.

My guess is wherever she does, she will eventually be converted to defense.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:32 am The bigger problem with the freshmen search year is you have these girls that are pumped up by some sketchy rankings from Inside Lacrosse. Lacey Downey was no where near as good as her ranking. The same with Rosga, the Hasselbecks, Lapointe, Locasio, etc. it’s like college football where if you committed ohio State you get an extra star. UNC, Maryland, Northwestern and Syracuse recruits get an extra star from IL just for committing there. Look at the rosters for all American game and you can see that. The players all see it. I heard a couple club coaches say that they played Rosga 4 times that summer and she might have had an assist. Her and Downey should both become defenders in college.
Will be the same with the rankings for the 24s and 25s. The top kids won’t produce as much as they’ve been hyped by IL. Name recognition and club relationships have a lot to do with it but as many have said here, these girls have had their sticks in their hands since kindergarten. My daughters included. Many of them have reached their potential by Junior year. It’s the ones that didn’t that become the stars.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:14 am
laxfan9999 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:32 am The bigger problem with the freshmen search year is you have these girls that are pumped up by some sketchy rankings from Inside Lacrosse. Lacey Downey was no where near as good as her ranking. The same with Rosga, the Hasselbecks, Lapointe, Locasio, etc. it’s like college football where if you committed ohio State you get an extra star. UNC, Maryland, Northwestern and Syracuse recruits get an extra star from IL just for committing there. Look at the rosters for all American game and you can see that. The players all see it. I heard a couple club coaches say that they played Rosga 4 times that summer and she might have had an assist. Her and Downey should both become defenders in college.
Will be the same with the rankings for the 24s and 25s. The top kids won’t produce as much as they’ve been hyped by IL. Name recognition and club relationships have a lot to do with it but as many have said here, these girls have had their sticks in their hands since kindergarten. My daughters included. Many of them have reached their potential by Junior year. It’s the ones that didn’t that become the stars.

I’d take Downey all day, everyday, on any team. That kid is a born athlete and was the top of any sport she played if I remember correctly. BC’s loss.

Every grad year has a hype train. Many of the rankings are manufactured, stats, lists, etc.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

Has BC or NW picked up anybody in the portal?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:10 pm Has BC or NW picked up anybody in the portal?
NW has
Idontknowtherules

Well, well, well it seems the number one recruit Spina has fled the orange
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:05 pm
laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:10 pm Has BC or NW picked up anybody in the portal?
NW has
Who???
Idontknowtherules

Idontknowtherules wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:08 pm Well, well, well it seems the number one recruit Spina has fled the orange
Spallina
njbill

Post by njbill »

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”