Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:13 pm While I am not going so far as to say the article was garbage content - I do have the following thoughts:
- Parents are not becoming a problem - they have been a problem for a while
- The article has nothing to do with Hopkins lacrosse so should not really have been posted here - utterly fine topic for discussion as the summer recruitment calendar is well underway but does not apply here
- The article's title implies these behaviors are somehow unique or more relevant to lacrosse - aside from some actions that may be halfway unique to lacrosse (e.g. glove palms up to a goalie) virtually all of these behaviors cited are applicable to a wide range of sports and because of the potential money involved often way worse - you want to see the true nature of the beast - get yourself to an AAU basketball tournament
- It's only going to get worse - parents were fistfighting at one time just theoretically to get scholarship money - now NIL money is possibly at stake - after what Olivia Dunne made - girls gymnastic meets probably resemble the hunger games - high school quarterbacks are making more than their parents etc..
well, at least we know gymman doesn't work for lax all stars. hop's the most active thread year round, so it makes sense.

the 3 groups q doesn't go after/repeat talking points everyone already has heard a million times, not surprising:
-college coaches.
-$$club owners and $$event hosts (other than for uni #s and endline balls). stay after curfew with a pop in your hotel lobby, tho...
-..... goalies. funny, i see palms up from goalies as much as anybody. some tend to be chatterboxes @ shooters as well.

and the looking at your stick is time-tested. for many (most?) it's a joke.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:46 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:13 pm While I am not going so far as to say the article was garbage content - I do have the following thoughts:
- Parents are not becoming a problem - they have been a problem for a while
- The article has nothing to do with Hopkins lacrosse so should not really have been posted here - utterly fine topic for discussion as the summer recruitment calendar is well underway but does not apply here
- The article's title implies these behaviors are somehow unique or more relevant to lacrosse - aside from some actions that may be halfway unique to lacrosse (e.g. glove palms up to a goalie) virtually all of these behaviors cited are applicable to a wide range of sports and because of the potential money involved often way worse - you want to see the true nature of the beast - get yourself to an AAU basketball tournament
- It's only going to get worse - parents were fistfighting at one time just theoretically to get scholarship money - now NIL money is possibly at stake - after what Olivia Dunne made - girls gymnastic meets probably resemble the hunger games - high school quarterbacks are making more than their parents etc..
well, at least we know gymman doesn't work for lax all stars. hop's the most active thread year round, so it makes sense.

the 3 groups q doesn't go after/repeat talking points everyone already has heard a million times, not surprising:
-college coaches.
-$$club owners and $$event hosts (other than for uni #s and endline balls). stay after curfew with a pop in your hotel lobby, tho...
-..... goalies. funny, i see palms up from goalies as much as anybody. some tend to be chatterboxes @ shooters as well.

and the looking at your stick is time-tested. for many (most?) it's a joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh43eAn2YAc
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

On a more relevant but no surprises front the offical press release went out today on the staff changes

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/6/2 ... dates.aspx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:35 pm On a more relevant but no surprises front the offical press release went out today on the staff changes

Chayse as the point person for recruiting visits could be a plus.

Sounds like Cohen will be doing a lot of work with the faceoff group. Assume Kelly will continue working with the goalies despite his title change.

At the end of the day though the biggest outcome of these moves is if/how PM has a heavier hand in the offense, and what that may or may not mean for personnel and scheme. I wouldn't expect a drastic change in X's and O's but I do think there will be meaningful tweaks that we can't necessarily predict at the moment.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A little over two months to the start of the 2026 incoming freshmen cycle,

here are a few solid Canadian 2026 prospects, no Collison's or Firth's so far,

https://gamesheetstats.com/seasons/5220/players/3491293
...looks like he has not declared himself NCAA eligible but I'd guess some coaches will still try and contact him, very high scoring in Ontario Junior B, was called up briefly to Junior A.

https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... hamberlain
https://www.ontariojrclacrosse.ca/
...good size, field & box experience, on the unbeaten Junior C Peterborough Lakers.

https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlete/cooper_brozek
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... e=analysis
...benefits from playing for Deerfield and going up against schools such as Lawrenceville, has played in the under 17 Ontario box league(s).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:43 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:35 pm On a more relevant but no surprises front the offical press release went out today on the staff changes

Chayse as the point person for recruiting visits could be a plus.

Sounds like Cohen will be doing a lot of work with the faceoff group. Assume Kelly will continue working with the goalies despite his title change.

At the end of the day though the biggest outcome of these moves is if/how PM has a heavier hand in the offense, and what that may or may not mean for personnel and scheme. I wouldn't expect a drastic change in X's and O's but I do think there will be meaningful tweaks that we can't necessarily predict at the moment.
I think is the list of Hopkins Assistant/Volunteer Assistant Coaches during the Petro/PM eras.
Tierney, Dwan, Benson, Jameson, Dave Allan?, Larry Quinn?, Grant jr, Crawley, Kelly, Cohen, Ierlan.

Excellent-
Tierney-Many of you have said his departure was the reason the team fell off after 07/08
Jameson-fixed faceoffs during his first stint, fixed the entire defense during his second

Good
Benson-mostly because of his recruiting although the early recruiting debacle was also on him

Meh
Crawley-as the kiddos would say good vibes guy, but he couldn't elevate the offense to memorial day which is what you're judged on at Homewood

Do not know what they contributed
Dwan
Larry Quinn
Dave Allan
Kelly
Cohen
Kid from Salisbury State from the end of the Petro era

Complete Fail
Grant jr

TBD
Ierlan
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Can't even begin to comment on how bad this analysis is
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

One of the dumber posts in this site's history and that's saying something
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:31 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:38 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:35 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:30 pm
Hopfan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:53 pm 3 current and future Blue Jays among 77 trying out for Nadelen’s U20 team. All long sticks: Kilrain, Eye and Kaestner.
Like Q's chances.
No offense. Because we now have our 4th offensive coordinator in 6 years?
??? Just saying a like Kilrain's chances to make that team.
I love your posts. I was just commenting there are no Hopkins offensive side of the ball players. Probably because we're now on our 4th offensive coordinator in 6 years.
Q made the team
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:53 pm One of the dumber posts in this site's history and that's saying something
It was a great post. They have 1 memorial day appearance in 15 years.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It was asking a lot for Collison and Firth to make up ground with the 8 game (losses) penalty,
but Toronto may still make the OJLL playoffs and could still get the 7th seed.
I suspect the OJLL board laying the hammer on that team had a demoralizing effect, but they showed good
competitive spirit against Spallina and that top Orangeville team in their last game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:28 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:31 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:38 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:35 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:30 pm
Hopfan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:53 pm 3 current and future Blue Jays among 77 trying out for Nadelen’s U20 team. All long sticks: Kilrain, Eye and Kaestner.
Like Q's chances.
No offense. Because we now have our 4th offensive coordinator in 6 years?
??? Just saying a like Kilrain's chances to make that team.
I love your posts. I was just commenting there are no Hopkins offensive side of the ball players. Probably because we're now on our 4th offensive coordinator in 6 years.
Q made the team
he made the training team. 42 so they can scrimmage, and keep evaluating. final squad will be about 23, with possibly an alternate, and may not finalized until right before.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:44 pm It was a great post. They have 1 memorial day appearance in 15 years.
No it really wasn't - the analysis was horrific as was I guess the supposed premise
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:15 pm
I think is the list of Hopkins Assistant/Volunteer Assistant Coaches during the Petro/PM eras.
Tierney, Dwan, Benson, Jameson, Dave Allan?, Larry Quinn?, Grant jr, Crawley, Kelly, Cohen, Ierlan.

Excellent-
Tierney-Many of you have said his departure was the reason the team fell off after 07/08
Jameson-fixed faceoffs during his first stint, fixed the entire defense during his second
Jamison not Jameson
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:16 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:15 pm

Excellent-
Jamison not Jameson
No endeavor has ever been more futile than trying to get him to spell names correctly
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Full game - critical OJLL match up with Collison, Firth, Spallina, many others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-1h56Amas

Big game from Collison, with the game tying goal - his last year in Junior A.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:44 pm It was a great post. They have 1 memorial day appearance in 15 years.
No it really wasn't - the analysis was horrific as was I guess the supposed premise
Tierney was praised consistently (I think by you) on the old forum when people looked for answers for why the program struggled after Rabil left and that was before early recruiting took off.

I have not seen an interview with Kelly where he discusses his offensive philosophy.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:25 pm Tierney was praised consistently (I think by you) on the old forum
Not me - he was a good OC - the '03 team was as good an offense as Hopkins has had - too bad they ran into T. Johnson. As a head coach ask the Hofstra people after 17 years. He was Hopkins' OC from '01 through '06. Here's the secret - you want names - I'll give you names:
Bobby Benson
Kyle Barrie
Peter LeSueur
Connor Ford
Kevin Boland
Adam Donegar
Joe McDermott
Kyle Harrison
Paul Rabil - 2 Years
Kevin Huntley - 2 Years
Greg Peyser
Stephen Peyser - 2 Years
Matt Rewkowski - 2 Years
Jake Byrne

They didn't have that ranking system explicitly back then but almost every single name on that list was a 5 star caliber.
It's the Jimmies and Joes not the X's and O's

Oh and back then they won about 60% of face-offs so they had the ball all the time.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:25 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:07 pm
Tierney was praised consistently (I think by you) on the old forum when people looked for answers for why the program struggled after Rabil left and that was before early recruiting took off.

I have not seen an interview with Kelly where he discusses his offensive philosophy.
Several possible reasons some of which never really get discussed

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”