Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It still works.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:00 am

It still works.
Is that the FBI investigator, or rather, ICE......looking into the Federal contractor employing "undocumented" workers.

Man........the Baltimore area company surely must have known the NAME of all of it's employees tragically killed on the Francis Scott Key bridge.

unless.........no one ever hires illegals, which is what we are told

That tree company.........esplaud.....nationwide........almost ALL tax dollar work.

They.......ever get into "trouble" with not filling out the proper tax forms?

must "know" a guy............
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:33 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:20 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:33 am https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/17/us/louis ... index.html

This is how we like our killers and rapist.
Terrible story, let's get back on topic.
They are all terrible things done by terrible people. A cogent strategy about immigration reform has little to do with the rare case of a bad hombre doing bad things. That’s not a real reason for immigration reform because the goal of immigration reform isn’t to “keep out bad hombres”. We need a rational system to allow people into the country lawfully and a system to facilitate productive participation in our system. Get them on the payroll instead of under the table. So, people that come in the country legally don’t murder people? It’s silly and stupid and the only point it serves is to motivate you to vote for someone that claims they are going to fix it. The Trump administration controlled the executive branch, congress and the senate during his first two years. Got tax reform done without a single democrat voting for it and why didn’t immigration reform get passed? He ran on it? It didn’t get passed because it would be one less thing to motivate people like you to vote.
I say it often- Hard cases make for bad law. Its not A or THE reason for immigration reform, but this case certainly shows why an unsecured border and the current state of affairs is dangerous.

I want someone who will fix it. So far neither side has shown a desire or willingness.

If you care about your country, the safety of it's citizens, equity in the treatment/opportunity, and the safety/well-being of the aliens and immigrants themselves, every citizen should be ALL for immigration reform.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:33 am https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/17/us/louis ... index.html

They are all terrible things done by terrible people. A cogent strategy about immigration reform has little to do with the rare case of a bad hombre doing bad things. That’s not a real reason for immigration reform because the goal of immigration reform isn’t to “keep out bad hombres”. We need a rational system to allow people into the country lawfully and a system to facilitate productive participation in our system. Get them on the payroll instead of under the table. So, people that come in the country legally don’t murder people? It’s silly and stupid and the only point it serves is to motivate you to vote for someone that claims they are going to fix it. The Trump administration controlled the executive branch, congress and the senate during his first two years. Got tax reform done without a single democrat voting for it and why didn’t immigration reform get passed? He ran on it? It didn’t get passed because it would be one less thing to motivate people like you to vote.
I say it often- Hard cases make for bad law. Its not A or THE reason for immigration reform, but this case certainly shows why an unsecured border and the current state of affairs is dangerous.

I want someone who will fix it. So far neither side has shown a desire or willingness.

If you care about your country, the safety of it's citizens, equity in the treatment/opportunity, and the safety/well-being of the aliens and immigrants themselves, every citizen should be ALL for immigration reform.
I am for immigration reform. You didn’t answer my questions…. Also what is the difference between an alien and an immigrant?

EDIT: found it. Thanks
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

That was the flip side of Reagans deal. Amnesty for a secure border. Nobody ever talks about WHY Reagan made this deal. Reagan didn't want these people to be abused and taken advantage of. 40 years later the sole purpose of opening up the flood gates is so this massive influx of illegals can be used and abused by both parties. The Democrat wet dream is millions of potential new voters dependent on Democratic gratuity. The Republican wet dream is millions of workers who will bust their ass for dog chit wages. So the bottom line is that part 2 of the Reagan amnesty plan never stood a chance from day one. Is was bullchit from the get go. :roll: The American people are nothing more than mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed only large quantities of manure.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

FTR nobody knows for sure how many illegals are in the USA today. I have read that some estimates are as high as more than 35 million. Since nobody in our government knows where these illegals are an accurate accounting of them is not possible. Could be 12 million, could be 40 million. We will have to wait for the next census to get an accurate count...insert sarcasm font here. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:03 pm

That was the flip side of Reagans deal. Amnesty for a secure border. Nobody ever talks about WHY Reagan made this deal. Reagan didn't want these people to be abused and taken advantage of. 40 years later the sole purpose of opening up the flood gates is so this massive influx of illegals can be used and abused by both parties. The Democrat wet dream is millions of potential new voters dependent on Democratic gratuity. The Republican wet dream is millions of workers who will bust their ass for dog chit wages. So the bottom line is that part 2 of the Reagan amnesty plan never stood a chance from day one. Is was bullchit from the get go. :roll: The American people are nothing more than mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed only large quantities of manure.
You are prone to stereotyping people….

7 of the 10 states most dependent on the federal government were Republican-voting, with the average red state receiving $1.05 per dollar spent.
Typical Lax Dad

More American history.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:13 pm

7 of the 10 states most dependent on the federal government were Republican-voting, with the average red state receiving $1.05 per dollar spent.
How would I possibly know that? :D I live in NYS where Republicans rank right up there next to lucky strikes when it comes to popularity. Rumor is that here in NYS Republicans will have to start wearing a Surgeon Generals warning attached to their clothing. Biden has not denied it. ;)
The only thing that matters since your hung up on statistics is the national debt. FTR I do own a stereo but I'm not very good at typing. I never even knew I could type on my stereo...
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm

How would I possibly know that? :D I live in NYS where Republicans rank right up there next to lucky strikes when it comes to popularity. Rumor is that here in NYS Republicans will have to start wearing a Surgeon Generals warning attached to their clothing. Biden has not denied it. ;)
The only thing that matters since your hung up on statistics is the national debt. FTR I do own a stereo but I'm not very good at typing. I never even knew I could type on my stereo...
You own a stereo or a stereo system?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:52 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm

You own a stereo or a stereo system?
Not anymore I spent a boatload full of money for my stereo out of high school. That was one of the benefits of having worked 3 days a week washing dishes at Perkins. I saved a lot of money. My baby back then was a Kenwood 100 watt amp with tuner and a Kenwood direct drive turntable. You probably weren't born back in 1976. Fleetwood Mac Rumours was my favorite album for a long time. My all time favorite live album was Bob Seger Live Bullet recorded at Cobo Hall in Detroit. There is not a bad trac on the double live album. I could listen to On the Road Again all day long still to this day. Sorry if I digressed.
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.economist.com/

Republican politicians often compare America’s southern border to Swiss cheese. It is more like a black hole. Its gravitational pull is so strong that officials can think only of enforcement and security (or the good electoral politics that come with harping on about enforcement and security). The names of small, dusty border towns—Eagle Pass, Jacumba Hot Springs—have never been so well known. The black hole leaves little time to consider the other parts of America’s creaking immigration system, such as refugees, skilled-worker visas or reforming quotas that are decades out of date.

Yet it is worth looking at what is happening beyond the border. For even while the surge of irregular migration has soaked up attention and resources, legal immigration has rebounded. And on June 18th President Joe Biden announced new safeguards—including work permits and protection from deportation—for people who have been living illegally in the country for years but are married to American citizens. The move was crafted to appeal to, among others, Latino voters and to assuage progressives angered by Mr Biden’s crackdown on illegal migration in an executive action two weeks ago. At a stroke it also swells the ranks of the country’s legitimate residents by about 500,000 people.

Two things combined to decrease legal immigration to the lowest level in decades during Donald Trump’s presidency: anti-immigrant policies and covid-19. Research from Giovanni Peri and Reem Zaiour, of the University of California, Davis, suggests that America’s foreign-born workforce began to shrink in 2019, before the pandemic. Between 2016 and 2020 America saw the longest continuous decline in new green cards issued since the 1990s. The number of refugees admitted annually tumbled to its lowest level in the resettlement programme’s history. Denial rates for skilled-worker visas rocketed. Later, the pandemic closed consulates abroad.

Legal migration took time to recover: consulates reopened slowly, and visa backlogs were huge. But in 2024 it has returned to pre-pandemic, and indeed pre-Trump, levels. Nearly 1.2m green cards were issued in the fiscal year of 2023, a 68% increase from 2020 and slightly more than the number doled out during Mr Trump’s first year in office. The government is projected to resettle at least 90,000 refugees in 2024, potentially short of Mr Biden’s 125,000 allotment but far more than the 11,000 or so settled during the doldrums of the pandemic.

Non-immigrant visas, the kind that temporary workers and students get, have also made a comeback. This is good news for firms wanting to hire skilled workers. The h-1b lottery system, which allots visas to high-skilled, mostly tech, workers, was rife with fraud. Hundreds of thousands of applicants compete for just 85,000 spots, a number set by Congress in 2004. Sometimes dozens of applications were submitted on behalf of one person. A tweak to the lottery system is intended to fix that.

Although more students are again coming to study in America, more than ever are also being denied visas. The same factors encouraging border crossings—a hot labour market, violence and instability at home, and a more welcoming president—may also be pushing young people abroad to seek their education in America. Cecilia Esterline of the Niskanen Centre, a think-tank, suggests that students may be failing to convince consulates that they will return to their home country after studying.

What has all of this meant for the workforce? At its peak in 2021, the shortfall of foreign-born workers identified by Mr Peri and Ms Zaiour reached about 2m people. That hole has now disappeared, partly due to the number of people who streamed across the border and found work. But Mr Peri reckons the rebound has also been fuelled in part by the return of college-educated legal migrants. Some 45% of recent immigrants have a college degree, compared with 38% of native-born Americans and 33% of those who arrived in the 1990s.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the system itself. Congress has repeatedly failed to create new legal pathways for migrants, to increase caps for limited visas and to make the system more responsive to the needs of America’s economy. The result is a monumental backlog for green cards, long wait times at consulates, frustrated families who worry they will never be reunited, and irritated businesses and states eager for more labour. The process is next to impossible, says Mr Bier. “There are the people who are screwed, people who are really screwed, and then the people who are just going to die before they get a chance to come,” he adds, bleakly.

Americans do not share Congress’s allergy to reform. They increasingly support more deportations and the border wall, but the desire for stricter enforcement has not yet shaken their approval of immigration overall. A majority of Democrats and a plurality of Republicans support more legal pathways. Some 61% of registered voters surveyed by Pew in April maintain that America’s openness to people from elsewhere is essential to its national character. But in an election year, with the black hole sucking up so much attention, reform of the legal system is unthinkable.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Give the rapists & murders a job, get them on the payroll & they won't rape & murder.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

No political party in 40 years has lifted a finger to secure the southern border. Now the border has become a festering puss filled sore and NOW it has become a problem. Gee, imagine that... :roll: Nobody saw this coming .... :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:56 pm Give the rapists & murders a job, get them on the payroll & they won't rape & murder.
You're now telling the forum that you're so freaking stupid, that it's too difficult for you to understand that if you can't get work legally in a country.....it's literally impossible to put food on the table legally.

Everyone reading this? A man with a College Degree from one of the best Universities on Earth thinks that if you're an illegal immigrant, you can work without breaking laws. So he's SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tells ya when illegal immigrants (checks notes) breaks US laws to put food on the table.

He's also so stupid that he thinks that the 10,000,000+ people living here illegally are clearly Saints, and until Joe Biden showed up, never once committed a violent crime, even though American citizens murder people at the rate of 20,000 or so per year. Old Salt thinks this is impossible, and only illegal immigrants kill people. You know: Because FoxNews sez so.

Why do you waste your time with this stupid, petty, gaslighting stuff? You know that i wasn't talking about one isolated illegal immigrant. So does everyone else here. Silly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:13 pm FTR nobody knows for sure how many illegals are in the USA today. I have read that some estimates are as high as more than 35 million. Since nobody in our government knows where these illegals are an accurate accounting of them is not possible. Could be 12 million, could be 40 million. We will have to wait for the next census to get an accurate count...insert sarcasm font here. ;)
Baloney.
But hey, Elvis just got spotted again.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:13 pm FTR nobody knows for sure how many illegals are in the USA today. I have read that some estimates are as high as more than 35 million. Since nobody in our government knows where these illegals are an accurate accounting of them is not possible. Could be 12 million, could be 40 million. We will have to wait for the next census to get an accurate count...insert sarcasm font here. ;)
Baloney.
I heard there are 60 million illegal immigrants
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:05 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:56 pm Give the rapists & murders a job, get them on the payroll & they won't rape & murder.
You're now telling the forum that you're so freaking stupid, that it's too difficult for you to understand that if you can't get work legally in a country.....it's literally impossible to put food on the table legally.

Everyone reading this? A man with a College Degree from one of the best Universities on Earth thinks that if you're an illegal immigrant, you can work without breaking laws. So he's SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tells ya when illegal immigrants (checks notes) breaks US laws to put food on the table.

He's also so stupid that he thinks that the 10,000,000+ people living here illegally are clearly Saints, and until Joe Biden showed up, never once committed a violent crime, even though American citizens murder people at the rate of 20,000 or so per year. Old Salt thinks this is impossible, and only illegal immigrants kill people. You know: Because FoxNews sez so.

Why do you waste your time with this stupid, petty, gaslighting stuff? You know that i wasn't talking about one isolated illegal immigrant. So does everyone else here. Silly.
Just wave the gang members in. Just give them a job. That's all they need.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:24 pm Just wave the gang members in. Just give them a job. That's all they need.
Naaah. Just register them as Republicans. Then they can rape and break laws all they want....and you and your buds will come on and tell us that it''s impossible for Republicans to break laws, and the only explanation is that the judges and prosecutors are corrupt.

And then you'll vote them in to lead your party, because you and your buds think convicted felons are cool, and a mark of character.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:24 pm
Baloney.
Estimates are estimates and what was Elvis doing at the southern border anyway? Looking for his blue suede shoes. So do you have an exact count?? You don't know the answer anymore than I do. I'm guessing that you believe what the Biden administration tells you, no surprise there..
Some food for thought for you keeper. There are a number of asylum seekers that have been relocated to Rochester. No one in any government capacity will even announce how many people there are and where they are located for that matter. If they can't be up front with people about that then why believe anything else we are being told? Should it be a " secret" how many asylum seekers have been relocated here and even more top secret what the plan is for the future. I mean even Elvis wants to know.

Return to “POLITICS”