Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Rutgers 2025

Post by 1766 »

lorin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:05 am
slumdogmillionaire wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:33 am Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread before but I would create the argument that Coach Brecht goes a bit too hard in the portal. Having a fourth of the team consist of new faces each year has to be demoralizing for the players that have already been there 3 or 4 years. I understand the thought process of not letting a talented transfer prospect go by, but there needs to be a line drawn. While the Big 10 in general relies on transfers, Rutgers can't keep reloading year after year while teams like Penn State carefully develop players. The ceiling can only be so high when you bring in solid 1 year players rather than developing what you have. Losing young studs like Palmer and Remi Reynolds in part due to the influx of transfers, doesn't help the long term vision.
I would have my kid go D4 over Rutgers,
With your genes, that's the only option.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

blue angels wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:10 am
slumdogmillionaire wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:33 am Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread before but I would create the argument that Coach Brecht goes a bit too hard in the portal. Having a fourth of the team consist of new faces each year has to be demoralizing for the players that have already been there 3 or 4 years. I understand the thought process of not letting a talented transfer prospect go by, but there needs to be a line drawn. While the Big 10 in general relies on transfers, Rutgers can't keep reloading year after year while teams like Penn State carefully develop players. The ceiling can only be so high when you bring in solid 1 year players rather than developing what you have. Losing young studs like Palmer and Remi Reynolds in part due to the influx of transfers, doesn't help the long term vision.
I am no expert on Rutgers, but the school appears not as popular with the top high school kids as many of their competitor schools. That might be academic reputation, location, social life, etc, etc. Who knows? As a result, Brecht needs to get players from wherever he can. I am not sure what can be done about it, but they certainly are making an effort.
You pretty much nailed it. Brecht has hit the transfer portal hard because he has no choice. He realizes he doesn't have the amount of talent needed on his roster from HS recruiting and to compete in the B10 he needs outside talent. Nothing wrong with that and I think he's mostly done a good job hitting the portal but the issue is that it's simply not sustainable over the long haul and you saw it this past year. RU was starting a D3 attack transfer who most Power teams simply short sticked without issue. Brecht has brought in some good players via HS no doubt in Scott, Knoblach, and that freshmen goalie this year Stoller and certainly a number of others but he hasn't been able to bring in enough top end players to compete against the B10 the last few years and I don't think next year is looking all that much better.

NJ is very fertile recruiting territory but Rutgers struggled immensely to bring in top end players in the last number of classes especially the 2025 class where I think they missed out on every top end NJ prospect. Brecht needs a major bump in HS recruiting or he's gonna find himself on the hot seat

Post by 1766 »

That's rich. Syracuse doesn't sniff the tourney this past year without transfers. Colin Kurdyla was the best HS player in the 23 class in NJ fyi.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:44 pm That's rich. Syracuse doesn't sniff the tourney this past year without transfers.
I think you missed the point completely. Rutgers issues has little do with transfers, its issues are with HS recruiting as I noted in my post.

Syracuse absolutely supplemented with transfers this past season but they also had a significant homegrown foundation. This is evidenced by the fact that they have 2 portal commits this off-season.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:51 pm
1766 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:44 pm That's rich. Syracuse doesn't sniff the tourney this past year without transfers.
I think you missed the point completely. Rutgers issues has little do with transfers, its issues are with HS recruiting as I noted in my post.

Syracuse absolutely supplemented with transfers this past season but they also had a significant homegrown foundation. This is evidenced by the fact that they have 2 portal commits this off-season.
I think the point you missed was that Rutgers did get the top Jersey recruit in '23 in Kurdyla. But as you say, they don't get the numbers they should from the state. I don't think they are losing them to the B1G or ACC. Rather, they are losing them to the Ivies and privates like Villanova and Georgetown.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

mdk01 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:33 pm

I think the point you missed was that Rutgers did get the top Jersey recruit in '23 in Kurdyla.
His dad played at Rutgers and his older brother was already committed. Not exactly a sustainable recruiting strategy

Post by 1766 »

Maryland has killed it in HS recruiting yet they are taking tons of xfers. Duke the same. Uva took a bunch last year.

HS recruiting is an inexact science. If you can get proven college players, well, lots of coaches seem to value that. Even so, the vast majority of major talent that has come through Rutgers has been "homegrown", which really means nothing in this day and age. The portal is every bit of recruiting as high school recruiting. Some in lacrosse seem don't seem to get that. Other sports fans do.

Lastly, I will simply say that based on the alumni correspondence from the staff, they are high in what they have coming in from the HS ranks regardless of where they come from. Syracuse is a great example. They do well recruiting but few would say they own NY. Uva, Duke, ND all seem to do better there in their own conference. Maryland? You could say the same.

Coach Brecht isn't landing every NJ recruit he wants, or probably even close, but he is getting some. But if you speak with him about his philosophy it's never going to be a team of Jersey kids. That's not how he views recruiting.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

I think the point you missed was that Rutgers did get the top Jersey recruit in '23 in Kurdyla. But as you say, they don't get the numbers they should from the state. I don't think they are losing them to the B1G or ACC. Rather, they are losing them to the Ivies and privates like Villanova and Georgetown.
I didn't miss it, Kurdyla is a really good player but he was only a 4 star and both Kilrain and Creter were rated higher. The issue isn't Kurdlya he's certainly talented it's that the other B10 schools or most of them anyway are pulling in a much higher number of similar type players or players with the same talent level/rep each class. Be it fellow B10 or ACC school or IVY and private universities Brecht has to win more high profile recruiting battles like he did with Kurdyla.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Maryland has killed it in HS recruiting yet they are taking tons of xfers. Duke the same. Uva took a bunch last year.

HS recruiting is an inexact science. If you can get proven college players, well, lots of coaches seem to value that. Even so, the vast majority of major talent that has come through Rutgers has been "homegrown", which really means nothing in this day and age. The portal is every bit of recruiting as high school recruiting. Some in lacrosse seem don't seem to get that. Other sports fans do.

Lastly, I will simply say that based on the alumni correspondence from the staff, they are high in what they have coming in from the HS ranks regardless of where they come from. Syracuse is a great example. They do well recruiting but few would say they own NY. Uva, Duke, ND all seem to do better there in their own conference. Maryland? You could say the same.

Coach Brecht isn't landing every NJ recruit he wants, or probably even close, but he is getting some. But if you speak with him about his philosophy it's never going to be a team of Jersey kids. That's not how he views recruiting.
Again No issue at all with transfers, Cuse has been using them to supplement their roster for decades, long before the "portal". Brecht is doing the right thing by utilizing it. My point is that it should be used to supplement where in the last few years Rutgers has been more dependent on it, 15 transfers last year is way to many to need.

Maryland is taking a lot this year but that's more of an outlier. UVA is a good model, they took a handful last year and have I think 2 this off-season. Duke is a mystery, they bring in a lot each season but half never see the field, odd dynamic.

I certainly don't expect Rutgers to own NJ, no one can really own a state in lax but I think Brecht has to land more high profile recruits if Rutgers is going to compete in the B10. He has to start landing more high 4s and the occasional 5. Kurdyla is a good player but one or two high 4 stars a class isn't enough at this level.

Post by 1766 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:56 pm

I didn't miss it, Kurdyla is a really good player but he was only a 4 star and both Kilrain and Creter were rated higher. The issue isn't Kurdlya he's certainly talented it's that the other B10 schools or most of them anyway are pulling in a much higher number of similar type players or players with the same talent level/rep each class. Be it fellow B10 or ACC school or IVY and private universities Brecht has to win more high profile recruiting battles like he did with Kurdyla.
Rated by whom exactly? Kurdyla was the best player in NJ. Every coach worth anything would have told you that. Kilrain is legit. Did Creter even see the field for Maryland this year?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Rated by whom exactly? Kurdyla was the best player in NJ. Every coach worth anything would have told you that. Kilrain is legit. Did Creter even see the field for Maryland this year?
IL and NLF both had them rated higher.

Post by 1766 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:09 pm
1766 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:08 pm

IL and NLF both had them rated higher.
Exactly. Kurdyla was viewed by NJ coaches as better than both of those players. And proved that on the field, though I am big fan Kilrain. I am not sure I'd take the opinion of a couple of people with no resources that seriously. A few can't miss prospects. The rest is a crapshoot. Hence the value of proven college players.

THe majority of high end players Rutgers has produced have been "homegrown". Most were 2 or 3 stars. So, either the rankings aren't accurate, or he and his staff are the best developers of talent in the country.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

No reason to attack the messenger. Brecht gets the odd good high school recruit or 2 or 3 in each class, but he isn't getting nearly as many as his conference foes. Maryland, HOP, PSU. and Michigan all recruit the high school ranks better than Rutgers. It doesn't even matter if the recruits are from New Jersey. Brecht needs to figure out a way to draw stronger classes from wherever, hot beds or non hot beds. Talent is no longer found only along the East Coast States. If you refuse to believe there is a problem, you have your head in the sand.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Kurdyla was by far the best Middie in NJ last year, Creter did not
Play much but he is an also good and his ranking is based on the idea that he played at LE who is affiliated with NLF. SHow me a top Recruit that went to RU from NJ that was not related to a Rutgers alum or a transfer. BB simply can’t recruit NJ, one kid in the 24 class out of NJ that’s it.

Now with other teams being able to pay NIL Rutgers is in real trouble through the portal. Where would you rather go for grad school? ND, JHU, Duke, Georgetown,UNC or Rutgers?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

A legacy
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The comment about them not losing them to the BIG or ACC didn't sound correct to me so I checked IL New Jersey recruiting for 24 and 25. Currently there are 3 5 star recruits for those years. One headed to Harvard. The other 2 headed to Virginia and Duke, respectively. There are multiple 4 stars headed to Penn State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Hopkins, Virginia, etc, etc
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The comment about them not losing them to the BIG or ACC didn't sound correct to me so I checked IL New Jersey recruiting for 24 and 25. Currently there are 3 5 star recruits for those years. One headed to Harvard. The other 2 headed to Virginia and Duke, respectively. There are multiple 4 stars headed to Penn State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Hopkins, Virginia, etc, etc.please check your facts
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

blue angels wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:03 pm

The comment about them not losing them to the BIG or ACC didn't sound correct to me so I checked IL New Jersey recruiting for 24 and 25. Currently there are 3 5 star recruits for those years. One headed to Harvard. The other 2 headed to Virginia and Duke, respectively. There are multiple 4 stars headed to Penn State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Hopkins, Virginia, etc, etc
Just to be aware the kid going to UVA is the son Of a Rutgers lacrosse alum.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Asgot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:55 am

That’s a good dad, you always want better for your kids
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

lorin wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:59 am
Asgot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:55 am

That’s a good dad, you always want better for your kids
Slam them whenever there's an opportunity, eh lorin?

Have you copped yet to why you have such a hard on for the school/program/coach?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”