BC NORTHWESTERN

D1 Mens Lacrosse
IvyBrown

Re: BC NORTHWESTERN

Post by IvyBrown »

With female boxing and MMA - and all that other stuff - - why dont the ladies match the men in rules?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:52 pm The idea that these three schools (BC, Pitt and Northwestern) would be perennial Top 20 teams is a pretty huge leap in my opinion. Boston College had a d1 team for decades before ending the program in 2002. As far as I remember they were less than middling program that never threatened to enter Top 20. Why would you assume that they’d be that good by re-entering D1 lacrosse? Especially, given the fact they’d be in the ACC. Nortwestern has a nice history for women’s sports but I can’t think of a men’s D1 program at NW that has had any sustained success ever. Why would men’s lacrosse be different in the Big10? Same with Pitt in the ACC. In what world is Pitt a top 20 team in ANY men’s sport? Just saying.

There is a reason they don’t have men’s lacrosse besides the obvious Title IX excuses. Each would have very little chance for success.
BC ended varsity lax in 1987/8 or so I believe. Played v them my freshman year and never again.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

gmen1986 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:52 pm
D2fan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:26 pm
gmen1986 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:34 pm
hofpride wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:52 am Watched the womans championship game yesterday , absolutely fantastic play . Damn shame these 2 grt academic institutions do not have mens lacrosse teams , just mind boggling
sadly you can't fix stupid ...might as well throw Pitt into this as well. all 3 could have a yearly top 20 program, but refuse to.
What do those Universities get out of adding lacrosse?

They already have name recognition and are not hurting for male enrollment. All it would do is take resources away from football and basketball.

Listen I’d love for more schools to add, but you have to be realistic. But lacrosse is a small niche sport.
i am being realistic...every sport not named football or basketball is niche at the college level. wouldn't you want to allocate assets/resources to something you could have a greater chance of being successful in?
I can guarantee that the top Hockey East hockey teams are much less niche that the same schools' basketball teams. Might also be the same in the ECAC.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Endowments: Endowments have two categories. One is restricted endowments. You can only spend their assets on preapproved activities. The other is unrestricted endowments. They can spend on anything. If you want to try and get a fix on available sources you need the unrestricted endowment number.

Cornell at one tine was trying to endow its lax program including Richie’s salary. My understanding is tge funded the coach’s salary but not the team cost. If one of tge Cornell fans has a different take pls correct me.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”