Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:48 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:20 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:04 pm The portal stuff is done.
The staff is set.

Other than a few last decisions on kids returning for 2024 there shouldn't be any program news until school starts and we find out if there were any last minute roster changes right?
The Staff is set and I suppose there could be news around the 25 commits but there is alot of time before they sign the NLI's. And I wouldn't expect a ton of decommits/poaching but one never knows. It's hard to get a great sense of what this class holds as they are from all over so the IL stars is pretty close to all you have. Hopkins of course has no 5 stars but they have the most 4 stars - 10 (tied with Michigan) and if you rank the recruiting classes by number of total stars Hopkins is 4th. Who might come calling for whom is almost impossible to predict. If John Crawley was the be all to end all for you committing to Hopkins then you might do something different but one would also think - within the rules - Hopkins is working to reassure the '25 class that things will be super duper. I guess one obvious one is Crawley might be contacting Asher & Ollie to see what's up.
Crawley flipping recruits away from Homewood I don't think would be looked upon highly.
Going to HPU from Hopkins as a player would be idiotic in a lot more ways than one tbh.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:48 pm Crawley flipping recruits away from Homewood I don't think would be looked upon highly.
Would not be looked highly upon by whom? What would happen? I don't think Crawley would care in the slightest.

Saw a couple of instagram posts - first Rabil was carrying the Olympic torch and there was a thank you post to Cam Chauvette so he's off the list of folks with eligibility returning - though I guess most thought or knew that already.
coda

Post by coda »

The staff is set.

Other than a few last decisions on kids returning for 2024 there shouldn't be any program news until school starts and we find out if there were any last minute roster changes right?
The Staff is set and I suppose there could be news around the 25 commits but there is alot of time before they sign the NLI's. And I wouldn't expect a ton of decommits/poaching but one never knows. It's hard to get a great sense of what this class holds as they are from all over so the IL stars is pretty close to all you have. Hopkins of course has no 5 stars but they have the most 4 stars - 10 (tied with Michigan) and if you rank the recruiting classes by number of total stars Hopkins is 4th. Who might come calling for whom is almost impossible to predict. If John Crawley was the be all to end all for you committing to Hopkins then you might do something different but one would also think - within the rules - Hopkins is working to reassure the '25 class that things will be super duper. I guess one obvious one is Crawley might be contacting Asher & Ollie to see what's up.
Crawley flipping recruits away from Homewood I don't think would be looked upon highly.
I dont think that is in his mind. He knows he has 3-4 years to leverage this into a big time job. I dont think targeting JH recruits is the best use of his time though. I would be more worried about the rest of the Big 10 trying to take advantage of the situation. He could end up grabbing some depth out of fall portal based on his relationships, but that is probably the extent of the damage.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:54 am
The staff is set.

I dont think that is in his mind. He knows he has 3-4 years to leverage this into a big time job. I dont think targeting JH recruits is the best use of his time though. I would be more worried about the rest of the Big 10 trying to take advantage of the situation. He could end up grabbing some depth out of fall portal based on his relationships, but that is probably the extent of the damage.
I've lost count of the roster numbers for 2024-25 but obviously if there are kids who decide things aren't going to work for them at homewood, HPU becomes a place where there's a familiar face and they can get playing time.

I would now rate the most important people to the success of the Hopkins 2025 club as in order from most important
-Brian Kelly
-Callahan/faceoff unit
-PM
-Staudt
-Angelus's replacement
-Melendez
-Collison
-Kilrain
-Jameson
-Whomever ssdm unit 1 is
-Whomever the ssdm backups are
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:26 am I've lost count of the roster numbers for 2024-25 but obviously if there are kids who decide things aren't going to work for them at homewood, HPU becomes a place where there's a familiar face and they can get playing time.
I count 42 (and I can never remember the discussion but I think Raposo and Arteaga are not returning?). I then count 11 incoming freshmen according to IL but Milliman said 10 on the very last WWM. Then 4 transfers. SO I think you are at 57 - broken out like this
Freshmen - 11
McCleary/Eye/Crogan/Cook/Gregorek/DiCicco/Burke/Hobot/Kaestner/Pace/Stickler
Sophomores - 17
Ayers/Kilrain/Chauvette/Martin/Jewell/Sorichetti/Iler/Cooke/Verdi/Claiborne/Colhoun/Ives/Chick/Rawson/Hazard/McCarthy/Sheppard
Juniors- 11
Lane/Brown/Bigelow/Collison/English/J. Smith/Tripeta/McDonald/Billings/Gelinas/Didden
Seniors - 9
Kaufman/Webb/Phillips/Callahn/Teachout/Reen/Bowler/Todaro/Charboneau
Grad Students (I assume) - 9
Melendez/S. Smith/Hackler/Staudt/Monfort/McKee/Bauer/Deans/Evans

Coincidentally - High Point has a bit of a space problem - They have already posted a prelim version of the 2025 roster without the incoming freshmen. Inside Lacrosse's data base suggests HP's inocming class is huge - 19 players - so they are pretty much at 60 if those sources are pretty accurate. SO I don't think Crawley is going to be combing other rosters until he gets a handle on this. In additon, if you were an offensive player at Hopkins and you didn't get playing time - Crawley had a hand in that decision - obviously affected by the fact that Hopkins had such a veteran presence on offense.

The most important persons right now are the people involved in projecting an exciting time at Hopkins for recruits and putting together thoughts on packages. Figuring out how to see Melendez vintage '23 and keeping Brooks out of the operating room are important too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:37 pm In additon, if you were an offensive player at Hopkins and you didn't get playing time - Crawley had a hand in that decision
This is exactly right and just one of several reasons why the whole discussion is stupid.

Time for a quick Jr. A check-in: Collison is dominating as usual but one guy who looks improved is Gabe Sorichetti — he had 10 pts last night against Collie's team and is on pace to easily surpass his point totals from the previous two seasons. Reminder, he's a 4-star top 40 recruit and Under Armour All American out of Culver (and ironically, originally a High Point commit). Kid can play. Problem is, Chauvette isn't going anywhere as the sniper on the lefty wing. Sorichetti is more dynamic — can play inside or outside and has a bit of dodging pop even if that's not necessarily his specialty.

I wonder if a PM-led offense will lean a bit more on the Canadians and find a role for someone like Sorichetti, even if it's just on man-up or something like that. Chuck Rawson is another one to watch. There is a lot of talent in this rising sophomore class that has never seen the field and at least one or two of them are going to seize roles.

Hobot and Cook play in the Lax Nationals game tonight, but it's unclear if it's going to be streamed. NBAA game at Homewood where we'll get a look at McCleary isn't till the end of July.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:37 pm In additon, if you were an offensive player at Hopkins and you didn't get playing time - Crawley had a hand in that decision
This is exactly right and just one of several reasons why the whole discussion is stupid.

Time for a quick Jr. A check-in: Collison is dominating as usual but one guy who looks improved is Gabe Sorichetti — he had 10 pts last night against Collie's team and is on pace to easily surpass his point totals from the previous two seasons. Reminder, he's a 4-star top 40 recruit and Under Armour All American out of Culver (and ironically, originally a High Point commit). Kid can play. Problem is, Chauvette isn't going anywhere as the sniper on the lefty wing. Sorichetti is more dynamic — can play inside or outside and has a bit of dodging pop even if that's not necessarily his specialty.

I wonder if a PM-led offense will lean a bit more on the Canadians and find a role for someone like Sorichetti, even if it's just on man-up or something like that. Chuck Rawson is another one to watch. There is a lot of talent in this rising sophomore class that has never seen the field and at least one or two of them are going to seize roles.

Hobot and Cook play in the Lax Nationals game tonight, but it's unclear if it's going to be streamed. NBAA game at Homewood where we'll get a look at McCleary isn't till the end of July.
Koleton did extremely well at Junior As. I've learned to not read too much into it.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:49 pm

I saw Sorichetti live in the HS AA game last year. He has a knack for getting open and he can definitely score inside. He's someone that I think you could put on the crease and be effective. It's really hard to predict who will get playing time next year. Obviously we're not seeing practice, but some players who you think should see time don't and others do.
I would love to see them push transition next year.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

I remember when Hopkins built the Cordish center and thought to myself, man how is anyone going to compete with this....After looking at all of the new facilities and in particular the new one going up at UVA, the cordish center seems outdated....Crazy to see how things are changing
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxfanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:15 pm I remember when Hopkins built the Cordish center and thought to myself, man how is anyone going to compete with this....After looking at all of the new facilities and in particular the new one going up at UVA, the cordish center seems outdated....Crazy to see how things are changing
Isn't the UVA facility going to be for seven or eight different sports?

Cordish is and will remain one of the only lacrosse-only facilities. It will continually be updated to keep up, like with the locker room renovation this year.

Think there's something to be said for your locker room, film rooms, training rooms, coaches offices, lounges, etc. all being in the same place and that place is right on top of the field you practice/play on. Some of these new facilities are nice but you have to drive to and from the field, your classes, and your apartment. Cordish is a lacrosse hub smack dab in the middle of campus and walkable to/from everything. If I were a player, that's the setup I'd want.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lacrosse National 2024 SENIOR ALL AMERICAN GAME tonight @7
Team America
#9 Andrew Cook Goalie

Team National
#11 Joe Hobot Faceoff

https://www.youtube.com/live/zMNqzp_E40 ... rN3sLzGIYA
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

laxfanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:15 pm I remember when Hopkins built the Cordish center and thought to myself, man how is anyone going to compete with this....After looking at all of the new facilities and in particular the new one going up at UVA, the cordish center seems outdated....Crazy to see how things are changing
The problem with the Cordish Center is that they haven't added championship trophies. Football got their old lockerroom and has been unstoppable in the regular season the last 20 years and it's a lot harder to put together an elite d3 football team than d1 lacrosse team.

Quint's been moaning publicly for years about the awfulness of the press box-about how it's hot/cold, cramped, and outdated which makes me think there's been a lot more said off air. Given all the tough comments he's had about the program and administration I think his concerns would be at the bottom of their list of things to upgrade at Homewood.

IL did a story when maybe umass lowell or someone added lacrosse and they said that for schools like umass lowell and maybe hpu lacrosse makes money for the school because it gets students in the door paying tuition, maybe that's why they have 60 kids on the roster.

Every year we hear about these kids having awesome offseasons in canada or wherever then we get to the regular season and they don't play or don't produce. I just want health.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Yale coach Andy Shay on USA Sixes, Yale 2025

Monfort & Hackler

Yale facility > Cordish

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ay-e2l3vea
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Joe Tsai wealthier than David Cordish et al. Unfortunately for lax MB has not spent on athletics yet.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Joe Tsai wealthier than David Cordish et al. Unfortunately for lax MB has not spent on athletics yet.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:07 pm Joe Tsai wealthier than David Cordish et al. Unfortunately for lax MB has not spent on athletics yet.
Yale has also a national championship recently, so alums are more inclined to spend as well.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:07 pm Joe Tsai wealthier than David Cordish et al. Unfortunately for lax MB has not spent on athletics yet.
Hopkins lacrosse is 141 years old or whatever. If they don't have the resources it's on the program, the athletic department, and University leadership for some of the comments Daniels has made and actions he's taken or this spring not taken. I would be pretty upset if the university was turning to Bloomberg for lacrosse or athletics because the lacrosse program is the absolute last part of the university that needs his support.

Rivals build these facilities (that become outdated in 15 years) and the media and message boards go gaga. Then you look up their contractors and see Yale is using the same folks that SUNY Stony Brook uses for its Cultural Center. Not exactly the Taj Mahal.

https://hlblighting.com/project/yale-un ... eld-house/

https://hlblighting.com/project/suny-st ... al-center/

Yale Lacrosse "We have lighting built by the people who did the SUNY UNITI Cultural Center". Boola Boola.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes - but true or not true - Mickey B's gifts to Hopkins can have a trickle down effect by extending need based grants to the two lacrosse teams and allowing scholarship money to - in a way - go further?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

No doubt true.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”