Private Schools vs Public Schools in State Playoffs

HS Boys Lacrosse
Unknown Participant

Re: Private Schools vs Public Schools in State Playoffs

Post by Unknown Participant »

LI13 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:39 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:22 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:04 pm Lets look at Delaware.
Salesianium School in Wilmington, DE has built quite a program and dominates the state and they can do so by routinely pulling players from nearby hotspots in Chester County PA. They were ranked #15 by IL with loses only to #1 Lawrenceville 8-9 OT and #6 Malvern Prep 8-9 and wins over St Mary’s Annapolis, Chaminade and Radnor. Yet they still choose to plow through the other schools for state titles. Maybe it’s time to move on.

They’ve won state titles in 1995, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024. This year they won the final by 16-6 which is pretty routine now.
agreed. 13 state titles since 2007 for a private, can legitimately schedule anyone they want, i'd say that ship left the port awhile ago.
This is what happened with Culver in Indiana. They used to compete for state titles but as they started getting better and pulling kids from further away they left the state association and scheduled nationally. They field a B team that competes for state titles and is usually in the top 5 or 6 in the state.
Same w/IMG in FLA, altho I think that was its plan from inception. FLA btw has all schools competing against each other differentiated only by student body size (a recent development). A cpl public schools have won in the last 10 years, Jupiter and Ponte Vedra I believe, but certainly the privates dominate. No real Catholic dominance like you see n the NE, but St Thomas Aquinas has won a few titles. Cardinal Mooney is pretty good too.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I have no ability to back it up but in Mass I think the MIAA, which runs and manages the public school league, likes the additional revenue from the Catholic schools.

The MIAA won’t work to improve the status quo until the AD’s start rattling the cages….. which they won’t because they are mostly 60 year old dudes just trying to not rock the boat so they can start collecting their pensions in the near future.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 am I have no ability to back it up but in Mass I think the MIAA, which runs and manages the public school league, likes the additional revenue from the Catholic schools.

The MIAA won’t work to improve the status quo until the AD’s start rattling the cages….. which they won’t because they are mostly 60 year old dudes just trying to not rock the boat so they can start collecting their pensions in the near future.
They should follow NJ and establish a "non-public" division. Catholics still get to play for a state title and larger publics get a fair shake again. This wasn't an issue in MA lacrosse until recently, as different public school dynasties took turns at the top from the mid 70s basically until Covid, but the Catholic Conference grip looks tight. Perhaps more importantly the patience grows thinner and the rumblings louder from the rest of a small MA lacrosse community. The cage rattling could be coming.

Also, BC High won the state tournament in baseball yesterday.

Edit: And SJP won the state title in tennis.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

10Stone5 will have more details than I do on this, but for the past 20 years, the best HS team in CA is either St Ignatius, Torrey Pines, or La Costa Canyon.

That's one NorCal Private Day School, and two Y U G E San Diego County Publics. The best teams in Orange County are either Foothill or Corona Del Mar, which are both Publics. Please keep in mind that both San Diego and Orange Counties each have populations comparable to Maryland.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

My position on this all along has been very simple: If your team is made up of players who have chosen to attend that school over their town's public offering, that team shouldn't compete against schools with teams made up of kids who "just live there".
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

BlueWarrior wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:53 pm My position on this all along has been very simple: If your team is made up of players who have chosen to attend that school over their town's public offering, that team shouldn't compete against schools with teams made up of kids who "just live there".
Exactly!
dmoney

Post by dmoney »

Anybody know why McQuaid and Aquinas dont play in the Monsignor Martin Buffalo league? Looks like Rochester is only a little over an hour from Buffalo and downstate, the NYCHSAA has much longer distances between schools.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

dmoney wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:20 am Anybody know why McQuaid and Aquinas dont play in the Monsignor Martin Buffalo league? Looks like Rochester is only a little over an hour from Buffalo and downstate, the NYCHSAA has much longer distances between schools.
Who Downstate is further than an hour away?

The longest distance I found was 56 miles. St. John’s the Baptist to Stepinac.

The shortest MMA trip for McQuaid is Nichols School which is 75 miles.
dmoney

Post by dmoney »

D2fan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:46 pm
dmoney wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:20 am Anybody know why McQuaid and Aquinas dont play in the Monsignor Martin Buffalo league? Looks like Rochester is only a little over an hour from Buffalo and downstate, the NYCHSAA has much longer distances between schools.
Who Downstate is further than an hour away?

The longest distance I found was 56 miles. St. John’s the Baptist to Stepinac.

The shortest MMA trip for McQuaid is Nichols School which is 75 miles.
Kennendy Catholic to St John the Baptist is the longest ride in the CHSAA at 80 miles and Google Maps puts at 1 hour 45 minutes right now. Regardless of distance, with NYC traffic most trips in the CHSAA are around 45 minutes to an hour. For example, even within the city to go from Fordham Prep in the Bronx to Xaverian in Brooklyn is an hour.

Any Westchester to Long Island matchups or vice versa, and pretty much anywhere but Brooklyn going to Staten Island are usually closer to an hour and a half because of the bridges. Right now (1:55PM on a Tuesday) even St. Anthony's to Monsignor Farrell Google maps has at 1 hour 40 minutes.

Google Maps has McQuaid to St Francis as 81.7 miles but only 1 hour and 19 minutes.

Catholic schools almost always have long bus rides.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

LI13 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:39 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:22 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:04 pm Lets look at Delaware.
Salesianium School in Wilmington, DE has built quite a program and dominates the state and they can do so by routinely pulling players from nearby hotspots in Chester County PA. They were ranked #15 by IL with loses only to #1 Lawrenceville 8-9 OT and #6 Malvern Prep 8-9 and wins over St Mary’s Annapolis, Chaminade and Radnor. Yet they still choose to plow through the other schools for state titles. Maybe it’s time to move on.

They’ve won state titles in 1995, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024. This year they won the final by 16-6 which is pretty routine now.
agreed. 13 state titles since 2007 for a private, can legitimately schedule anyone they want, i'd say that ship left the port awhile ago.
This is what happened with Culver in Indiana. They used to compete for state titles but as they started getting better and pulling kids from further away they left the state association and scheduled nationally. They field a B team that competes for state titles and is usually in the top 5 or 6 in the state.
I am an alum and have said for years they need to join some sort of prep school league and drop the DE schools from the schedule. It is an absolute joke they play those teams. Especially now that they seem to really be bringing in some talent and sending an abundance more kids to top college programs. I have no idea if it is possible but joining the PA IAC would be fitting in terms of travel. They will never leave the DIAA though.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”