UNC 2025

D1 Womens Lacrosse
uncfan1013

Re: UNC 2025

Post by uncfan1013 »

Another one!!

Congrats to Kate Levy on being named the USA Lacrosse Mid-Atlantic Player of the Year
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

48 G
128 DC
22 CT

Seems like an amazing all-around player to me
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

Olivia Vergano officially announced
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Good addition. Losing Nalls, Reed and BH for the draw is hard but now adding Gresham and Vergano is smart. Vergano can also play the offense which is good
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

In Kate Levy’s article about winning the player of the year, it talked about how she was thinking about playing soccer at UNC too. Very impressive that she could! It all depends on if she makes the USA U-20 Training Team tho
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

ertrader wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:44 am
GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:42 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:22 am
spidey44 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:29 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 pm Does anyone have a link to the HS Girls USA Lacrosse All-American list? Also I pay much less to high school lacrosse so how important is it to make it? How much players generally make it?
It will come out soon. Your high school coach has to nominate you (or AD, etc). Of course, my daughter's coach didn't know about it, so my kid wasn't nominated :roll: That said, as most of these lists, means very little besides resume builder.
At least in our state, these were much more lifetime achievement awards than rewards for high school play that season. 3 of the girls in our state played 3 or games or fewer this season. All exceptional players going to top programs, but clearly the award has nothing to do with what they did this season.
In NY, I believe the coaches vote at the section level--AA and academic AA. The number of available selections is based on the number of lax programs in the section.
Yes the number of AA awards is tied to number of teams in your section. This leads to some weirdness - for instance St anthonys is undefeated and arguably the #1 team in the country but they will have no more than 2 AA because they play in a smaller catholic league, while a public school that didn't even win it's own section has 3 AAs
AA is awarded on exceptional play,
IQ, and leadership on the field. Not whether you win or lose in your section. It’s an individual award not a team award.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Eliza Ozburn wins the West Player of the Year. 3 out of 5 regional players of the year are going to UNC next year!
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Uncfan. With all of the talent that unc has recruited over the past 15 years, I am curious as to why there aren’t rumblings about underachievement. Unc has had a top 3 recruiting class going back at least to 2012. But they have underperformed relative to programs like MD and BC. NW has done almost as much with less.
Unc has three titles, and two more championship appearances. So they have been in 5 of the last 11 title games, winning three.
They have been a perennial quarterfinalist and have, until bc just beat them, dominated the acc tournament.

But their ncaa championship performance doesn’t match their recruiting performance.

They have exactly one more ncaa tournament title from 2014 to 2024 than does JMU, who rarely gets a sniff of a recruit that Carolina would want.

Jenny levy is clearly one of, if not the, greatest recruiters of all time. But it’s not clear to me that she remains amongst the games best coaches ….
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:21 pm Uncfan. With all of the talent that unc has recruited over the past 15 years, I am curious as to why there aren’t rumblings about underachievement. Unc has had a top 3 recruiting class going back at least to 2012. But they have underperformed relative to programs like MD and BC. NW has done almost as much with less.
Unc has three titles, and two more championship appearances. So they have been in 5 of the last 11 title games, winning three.
They have been a perennial quarterfinalist and have, until bc just beat them, dominated the acc tournament.

But their ncaa championship performance doesn’t match their recruiting performance.

They have exactly one more ncaa tournament title from 2014 to 2024 than does JMU, who rarely gets a sniff of a recruit that Carolina would want.

Jenny levy is clearly one of, if not the, greatest recruiters of all time. But it’s not clear to me that she remains amongst the games best coaches ….
This is what I had been trying to say, great kids, lack of results overall and consistency. Lots of programs get great kids, and do more, just as well, or win. Like NU, you don’t hear about how many stars these kids have, or if they are player of the year, but they win the big games. Florida isn’t known for getting all these high powered studs, but they were on fire this year. Notre Dame was hot, MD was hot, JMU was hot. It’ll be interesting next year how all this plays out, even more so over the next couple years.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:21 pm Uncfan. With all of the talent that unc has recruited over the past 15 years, I am curious as to why there aren’t rumblings about underachievement. Unc has had a top 3 recruiting class going back at least to 2012. But they have underperformed relative to programs like MD and BC. NW has done almost as much with less.

Coaching and development could be issues. Levy is a great coach, but the offense in the last two seasons has struggled, even with great players. UNC might get the big names, but do they develop them as good as BC, UMD and NW? Recruiting is huge and UNC has done amazing, but going off of ILWomen Class of 20__ list doesn’t mean a recruit is going to be amazing. Those lists are never right, and players can turn out way better than they were ranked. Madison Taylor was a Tewaaraton finalist but not even a top 15 recruit. Same with Izzy Scane who is one of the best in the game. Caitlyn Wurzburger was hyped up to be one of the best ever recruits in the game and she barely was a top 15 player in college lacrosse.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Congrats to Kate Levy on being named National Player of the Year by USA Lacrosse!!
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

This is a very interesting year for UNC. The pressure is on the offense to live up to the talent on the roster. Last year was a flop even considering the injuries, just too much talent on that roster. I will blame the coaching staff if the offense is not a dominant group. I have heard a lot of people say UNC is not as good now because of one person. Katrina Dowd was the mastermind that led the UNC offense to great heights. She has done it everywhere she goes even without the top recruits she had at UNC. Probably the best young coach in the game today, Brown played a great brand of team offense last year.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:10 am This is a very interesting year for UNC. The pressure is on the offense to live up to the talent on the roster. Last year was a flop even considering the injuries, just too much talent on that roster. I will blame the coaching staff if the offense is not a dominant group. I have heard a lot of people say UNC is not as good now because of one person. Katrina Dowd was the mastermind that led the UNC offense to great heights. She has done it everywhere she goes even without the top recruits she had at UNC. Probably the best young coach in the game today, Brown played a great brand of team offense last year.
Well said. With no excuses, pressure is definitely on UNC this season.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Reilly Casey back for a 5th. The offense is going to be packed next year.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:30 am Reilly Casey back for a 5th. The offense is going to be packed next year.
Oh wow! Someone who is used to starting or a transfer is going to not start…going to be sad to watch!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:30 am Reilly Casey back for a 5th. The offense is going to be packed next year.
Wow. This is going to be one competitive UNC attack, but how good will their defense be. I know all of these freshmen won’t work out but imo there are 20 people competing for 7 spots.

Attack.
Humphrey
Humphrey
Godine
Mottice
White
Casey
Ingrilli
Vergano
Calabria
Pattillo

MF
Humphrey
Felter
Harden
Student
Leonard
Ford
Ripper
Levy
Corkins
Osborn
njbill

Post by njbill »

This just in. Jenny notified the powers that be that there was a typo in her memo from last year. She didn’t mean 6 v. 6. She meant 16 v. 16.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

This is the year Unc remains 12 nattys behind UMD and 5 behind Northwestern. A lot to look forward to
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

user1020 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:07 pm
Wow. This is going to be one competitive UNC attack, but how good will their defense be. I know all of these freshmen won’t work out but imo there are 20 people competing for 7 spots.

Attack.
Humphrey
Humphrey
Godine
Mottice
White
Casey
Ingrilli
Vergano
Calabria
Pattillo

MF
Humphrey
Felter
Harden
Student
Leonard
Ford
Ripper
Levy
Corkins
Osborn
I think it’s going to be very competitive, but also 7 of those players will graduate after this season and all those players will have a chance to prove if they should start or get sufficient time. It will be a real test to see who is working the hardest, and who thinks they should start but doesn’t actually show it
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:46 am
Oh wow! Someone who is used to starting or a transfer is going to not start…going to be sad to watch!
Casey is a good player but isn’t a proven starter. She has an amazing shot, but certainly with the amount of stars on this team I think she is more of a experienced player coming off the bench.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”