Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry - didn't mean to offend - changed to "statue" in my post - less than sensitive thought on my part may have been due to the fact that I was just in a cigar store the past couple days and there was one big as life. But I will say in my defense I was pretty clearly using a well worn phrase for a statue not meaning to offend native americans as again - there are in fact still many native american statues in cigar stores. Again - there was no intent ot offend anyone.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:11 pm Yes - wg... sensible Hop fans are all tired of this nonsense that the Millon foot on the crease not on the crease call cost Hopkins a trip to the Semis. As opposed to the Penn State folks who had some reason to be upset in that was literally the last play of the game - Hopkins had plenty of chances to win the game. If Angelus doesn't fall down - decent chance it's 11-8 or whatever at that point and the game might be close to over. Make the plays - don't turn the ball over something like 9 times in the 4th quarter - over 25 for the game - and you don't have to worry about a crease call.

O'C - I know we have our differences but I need some help with your post. First - "RM" is escaping me- trying to think of Final Four coaches with those initials and I am just blanking. Also, would love to hear what the conclusions were of the Hopkins analysis - also confused - wasn't the 2015 team loaded with blue chippers?
I did not ask a question when i already knew the answer. I know there was a committee looking into the issue. The one answer i did learn was the issue was not that kids did not want to play for the Coach.

I did not go back to read my post but if i did not have a hiccup Richie Meade would be RM. Maybe a typo for PM.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:38 pm
I did not ask a question when i already knew the answer. I know there was a committee looking into the issue. The one answer i did learn was the issue was not that kids did not want to play for the Coach.

I did not go back to read my post but if i did not have a hiccup Richie Meade would be RM. Maybe a typo for PM.
I'm sorry have to bang my head against the wall one more time. You did ask a question - here's the entire quote:

"In the 2010 - 16 time period Hopkins looked into why they were missing so many blie chip recruits. Do you know what the conclusions were?"

I do NOT know what the conclusions were - I did not know there was a committee. I respectfully asked you what were the conclusions... you reply with some riddle about what the conclusions were not. I don't think anybody - especially me - suggested blue chips were not hitting Baltimore because of David. I think most are suggesting Dave went too heavy handed in the early recruiting and that came back to bite him. That is not a disrespectful position but one that is supported by comments from DP himself.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:15 am This was probably the right move for team and staff cohesion. It's not as exciting as bringing in a buzzy name from the outside but like any workplace it's important that they set a precedent that it's possible to get promoted from within. PM and Kelly will add new wrinkles to the offense but it'll be an easier transition than someone else teaching an entirely new system. And it may not have gone over well if they hired someone new with Kelly sitting right there. Let's be honest, some of the names I had floated earlier weren't exactly setting the world on fire at their respective schools. Some intriguing talent to be sure and guy who'd bring more excitement but no one that you'd shed a tear over not getting.

I also don't think Chayse is a trivial hire. Yes DOLO is primarily a behind-the-scenes administrative role but having Chayse's voice at practice and on the sideline during games will matter. I remember at the Hofstra scrimmage last fall, he had only been a Blue Jay for a month or two but was the loudest guy on the sideline pumping everyone up, particularly the younger guys who were seeing their first D1 action of any kind. In that respect I think he will replace some of what Crawley did as a young, energetic guy who knows what it's like to play in this program (very recently) and can relate to the players. I expect they will also utilize him on the recruiting trail.

Agree with 51 though, at the end of the day the offense will go the way of the personnel. There's reason to believe there can be improvement if health allows. Also, it's not like we're talking about some massive leap they need to make to be Final Four quality — they lost in double overtime in the quarterfinals with the deciding goal a rather controversial one. It's all right there for the taking especially with so many other teams losing tons of talent.
If pm didn't promote Kelly Cohen and hire Ierlan also the chance Crawley poaches them for his own staff then you're looking at more turnover.

Interesting to see who crawley adds coaching wise, if there are familiar names, and if in the future any hopkins kids not getting playing time at homewood decide to move to hpu.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:15 pm
If pm didn't promote Kelly Cohen and hire Ierlan also the chance Crawley poaches them for his own staff then you're looking at more turnover.

Interesting to see who crawley adds coaching wise, if there are familiar names, and if in the future any hopkins kids not getting playing time at homewood decide to move to hpu.
Alex Ready will join John Crawley’s coaching staff @HPUMensLax, a source confirms to IL. Interviews are still ongoing for the other two assistant roles.

A four-year starter in between the pipes @DU_MLAX, Ready spent the last two seasons working with the goalies @DukeMLAX.
https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1803070 ... qERZo33csA
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:15 pm

Alex Ready will join John Crawley’s coaching staff @HPUMensLax, a source confirms to IL. Interviews are still ongoing for the other two assistant roles.

A four-year starter in between the pipes @DU_MLAX, Ready spent the last two seasons working with the goalies @DukeMLAX.
https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1803070 ... qERZo33csA
Interesting to go from Duke to HPU
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Ready will be DC. The two were at Lehigh together.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The portal stuff is done.
The staff is set.

Other than a few last decisions on kids returning for 2024 there shouldn't be any program news until school starts and we find out if there were any last minute roster changes right?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Men's lax IG posted the team GPA is a 3.42.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:04 pm The portal stuff is done.
The staff is set.

Other than a few last decisions on kids returning for 2024 there shouldn't be any program news until school starts and we find out if there were any last minute roster changes right?
there are still a number of players in the portal. i would imagine at least some p4 lacrosse schools are still shopping.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:05 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:39 pm This is now PM as OC (again). He was also OC when he took over from John Grant early to mid season of Jrs. departure season and I’m not sure the results warranted PM assigning himself the duties again. However there is something to be said for stability.
I think this is a tiny bit unfair. The basic fact of the matter was the 2022 team was not a very good team - up and down the field - Take your pick of who you think the offensive geniuses have been in college lacrosse - not getting much from that team with 2 of your Top 5 players incredibly injury compromised and 3 of your Top 5 players barely hitting water from a boat 17%/20% 25% - yet they took 260 of your shots. The 22 team faced off at 49% - had 267 turnovers (17 a game) - cleared at an abysmal 83% - got out ground balled by 50 over the season and the overall goalie save % was 46%. Not a ton of mid-field aggressive dodging on that team - actually possibly surprising they averaged 11 goals per game - razor's edge close to what they averaged this year. And if what is reported is true that there was conflict between the OC and the HC and possibly some internal strife within the team - then that contributes to the issues of the HC trying to recover a season as a coordinator.

This is hopefully a completely different situation and everyone seems to be ignoring Brian Kelly as nary a post goes by without the thought this is PM's offense and there will be no one to blame but him. I thought he was the great delegator.

To be clear - these changes do - after the sizzle of Junior and the charisma of the young Crawley - have a tinge of vanilla about them. I will say if reports are accurate - Kelly developed great rapport with admittedly a much smaller group of players and that was thought to be possibly Crawley's #1 strength - Have to wait and see. 10 of the 2025 recruits verballed in September of last year so September will be a closely watched month on how this arrangement did with recruiting.
It will be interesting with their 25 commits, but I just looked at their list, and it seems rather unimpressive. Figured someone with Crawley’s so called charisma, and the support Hop has now, would have been a little better. At least on the offensive end. Not sure if many better programs will come calling for these guys. But I will give Milliman credit, he seems to always have had an eye for the under the radar kid while at Cornell.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The staff is set.

The Staff is set and I suppose there could be news around the 25 commits but there is alot of time before they sign the NLI's. And I wouldn't expect a ton of decommits/poaching but one never knows. It's hard to get a great sense of what this class holds as they are from all over so the IL stars is pretty close to all you have. Hopkins of course has no 5 stars but they have the most 4 stars - 10 (tied with Michigan) and if you rank the recruiting classes by number of total stars Hopkins is 4th. Who might come calling for whom is almost impossible to predict. If John Crawley was the be all to end all for you committing to Hopkins then you might do something different but one would also think - within the rules - Hopkins is working to reassure the '25 class that things will be super duper. I guess one obvious one is Crawley might be contacting Asher & Ollie to see what's up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ollie's the only one I'd be semi-concerned about losing because of his connection to High Point. Don't care where he's ranked, that kid is a stud. I assume if he played on the east coast rather than in Colorado he'd be ranked higher.

Rarely do you see guys flip because of an assistant. When a head coach leaves, sometimes that has an impact. But an assistant? I suppose it has happened, but it's not something to worry about.

The Lawrenceville pipeline, for instance, predated Crawley and it will continue on without him. They have another excellent class coming up and I'd bet on the Jays getting one or two of them. Lefty attackman Hansen Peck is tremendous.

One to keep your eye on — Bing Burch, a defenseman at Loyola Blakefield and the son of Sheehan Stanwick Burch. NLF just ranked him as a 4-star and the #30 player in the class. I imagine he grew up going to games at Homewood.

Curious to see how Duke does this cycle. At some point recruits are going to realize that program isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:48 am Ollie's the only one I'd be semi-concerned about losing because of his connection to High Point. Don't care where he's ranked, that kid is a stud. I assume if he played on the east coast rather than in Colorado he'd be ranked higher.

Rarely do you see guys flip because of an assistant. When a head coach leaves, sometimes that has an impact. But an assistant? I suppose it has happened, but it's not something to worry about.

The Lawrenceville pipeline, for instance, predated Crawley and it will continue on without him. They have another excellent class coming up and I'd bet on the Jays getting one or two of them. Lefty attackman Hansen Peck is tremendous.

One to keep your eye on — Bing Burch, a defenseman at Loyola Blakefield and the son of Sheehan Stanwick Burch. NLF just ranked him as a 4-star and the #30 player in the class. I imagine he grew up going to games at Homewood.

Curious to see how Duke does this cycle. At some point recruits are going to realize that program isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Kid maybe turn out to be a complete stud, but hard to imagine Asher Nolting's brother is under-covered.

Posner has long relationship with Hopkins. That relationship will be fine. The 26 class is his most talented class at Lawrenceville. I would guess Peck will be Posner's 1st 5 star at Lawrenceville. Initial guess on Peck would be Cuse, but that is based on some stale information. Lot of talent in that 26 class that hasnt seen the field yet.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:20 pm Men's lax IG posted the team GPA is a 3.42.
Under the current administration these type of results will help PM have a long tenure. Even 3-5 additional years of quarter final losses won’t get him run out of town as some have suggested.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:48 am Ollie's the only one I'd be semi-concerned about losing because of his connection to High Point. Don't care where he's ranked, that kid is a stud. I assume if he played on the east coast rather than in Colorado he'd be ranked higher.

Kid maybe turn out to be a complete stud, but hard to imagine Asher Nolting's brother is under-covered.

Posner has long relationship with Hopkins. That relationship will be fine. The 26 class is his most talented class at Lawrenceville. I would guess Peck will be Posner's 1st 5 star at Lawrenceville. Initial guess on Peck would be Cuse, but that is based on some stale information. Lot of talent in that 26 class that hasnt seen the field yet.
What I meant with Ollie is that it's hard to tell how good he actually is because of the level of competition he faces. The rankings on occasion have underrated some of these kids from out West for that reason.

Peck was ranked #11 and a 5-star by NLF but I'm curious where Xanders has him. Quite frankly I think he has a better and more objective read on it than NLF, which you don't have to try hard to see potential conflicts of interest.

Kilrain was a 5-star unless you're talking exclusively about offensive players
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:22 am

What I meant with Ollie is that it's hard to tell how good he actually is because of the level of competition he faces. The rankings on occasion have underrated some of these kids from out West for that reason.

Peck was ranked #11 and a 5-star by NLF but I'm curious where Xanders has him. Quite frankly I think he has a better and more objective read on it than NLF, which you don't have to try hard to see potential conflicts of interest.

I did forget that, but that was the odd bump after the season. Posner thought some of his kids were under-appreciated in the 23/24 class. After the NC that isnt happening. The 25s got a nice bump, though I am a huge fan of Voultos. The 26s has some legit offensive talent. That lefty shooter in the Lawrenceville offense is always going to be highly productive. Peck is that guy for the next 2 years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:42 am

I did forget that, but that was the odd bump after the season. Posner thought some of his kids were under-appreciated in the 23/24 class. After the NC that isnt happening. The 25s got a nice bump, though I am a huge fan of Voultos. The 26s has some legit offensive talent. That lefty shooter in the Lawrenceville offense is always going to be highly productive. Peck is that guy for the next 2 years.
Who are some of the others to keep an eye on? Saw that they had a bunch of kids on the Maverik Showtime all-star team including Morgan and Sturtevant, but since they didn't play much for the Big Red this spring I'm not super familiar.

The younger English and Rawson both raised their stocks this spring — would be shocked if the poachers aren't circling especially given the Brown coaching change and the longterm uncertainty of the OSU staff.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:50 pm
coda wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:42 am

Who are some of the others to keep an eye on? Saw that they had a bunch of kids on the Maverik Showtime all-star team including Morgan and Sturtevant, but since they didn't play much for the Big Red this spring I'm not super familiar.

The younger English and Rawson both raised their stocks this spring — would be shocked if the poachers aren't circling especially given the Brown coaching change and the longterm uncertainty of the OSU staff.
English and Rawson are just good players. Not sure they have the size (neither are big) and stick (both 1 handed guys), to get huge attention. High floor guys, that maybe lack that high ceiling. Better players than recruits, if that makes sense.

I was told to keep an eye on Sturtevant. I believe the other was Ponting. I get him and Sala confused. That said I was told this was the most talented offensive class Posner signed at Lawrenceville. All of them are over 6 feet, so they will get more attention as recruits.

Lawrenceville runs pretty tight shifts, so it is tough for young players to get in.
MIddie has been a 4 man rotation the last 2 years. Kept it that way this year, despite not having 4 healthy middies all season (losing 2)
Attack is basically 3 guys, (losing 2)

Defensively, it will be interesting. They are only brining back 2 starters in Getson and Voultos. There will be significant turnover. Their DC is very good though. Lost one of the best goalies in the nation. Definitely see some new names here and some youth. That coudl be interesting given the complexity of the defense.

That is off the top of my head and a bit stale. Ill check in and see if I can get you better color.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:20 am
The staff is set.

The Staff is set and I suppose there could be news around the 25 commits but there is alot of time before they sign the NLI's. And I wouldn't expect a ton of decommits/poaching but one never knows. It's hard to get a great sense of what this class holds as they are from all over so the IL stars is pretty close to all you have. Hopkins of course has no 5 stars but they have the most 4 stars - 10 (tied with Michigan) and if you rank the recruiting classes by number of total stars Hopkins is 4th. Who might come calling for whom is almost impossible to predict. If John Crawley was the be all to end all for you committing to Hopkins then you might do something different but one would also think - within the rules - Hopkins is working to reassure the '25 class that things will be super duper. I guess one obvious one is Crawley might be contacting Asher & Ollie to see what's up.
Crawley flipping recruits away from Homewood I don't think would be looked upon highly.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”