All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:32 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:28 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:55 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:38 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:11 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:52 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:37 am
So Putin is saying we can launch missiles at Ukraine but Ukraine had better not launch missiles at Russia. That would be unacceptable. :roll:
And the US is saying that the EU and the US can help Ukraine, but China can't help Russia.

Welcome to wartime "logic", cradle.
My logic is simple and I've said it numerous times. War is hell and most people can't wrap their brains around that.
Yep. Which is why you stay the F out of them, unless you are directly defending your own country, or your treaty-bound allies.
Also because most people can't stomach the reality of what it takes to win a war. It use to be the daily carnage wasn't broadcast on the nightly news. Hard to comprehend seeing little babies being pulled from bombed out buildings. Harder still to comprehend how any adversary would put those lives at risk by deliberately using them as human shields. I'll say it yet again war is hell and so is what it takes to win a war. I will say this and I know many of you will disagree... cease fires don't win wars. They can delay the inevitable but sooner or later the only thing that will win any war is total defeat or unconditional surrender.
Wars end when one “side” gives up.
What do you mean by " gives up"? I call that unconditional surrender. I guess Custer must have given up after the 7th Cavalry unit he commanded was wiped out to the last man. I guess that is sorta kinda like giving up. :roll: Technically the USA is still at war with North Korea. Amazingly that truce is still holding up, for now at least. Amazing enough is that neither side gave up. They have just put the war on a shelf for a date to be determined.
Did the USA surrender in Vietnam?
Sort of old sod we quit. We shouldn't have been there in the first place. That damn domino theory and the Gulf of Tonkin resolution befuddled a lot of Democrats and Republicans in the early 60s. Had to stem the red tide we did. :roll:
We unconditionally surrendered then.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:20 pm
So Putin is saying we can launch missiles at Ukraine but Ukraine had better not launch missiles at Russia. That would be unacceptable. :roll:
And the US is saying that the EU and the US can help Ukraine, but China can't help Russia.

My logic is simple and I've said it numerous times. War is hell and most people can't wrap their brains around that.
Yep. Which is why you stay the F out of them, unless you are directly defending your own country, or your treaty-bound allies.
Also because most people can't stomach the reality of what it takes to win a war. It use to be the daily carnage wasn't broadcast on the nightly news. Hard to comprehend seeing little babies being pulled from bombed out buildings. Harder still to comprehend how any adversary would put those lives at risk by deliberately using them as human shields. I'll say it yet again war is hell and so is what it takes to win a war. I will say this and I know many of you will disagree... cease fires don't win wars. They can delay the inevitable but sooner or later the only thing that will win any war is total defeat or unconditional surrender.
What do you mean by " gives up"? I call that unconditional surrender. I guess Custer must have given up after the 7th Cavalry unit he commanded was wiped out to the last man. I guess that is sorta kinda like giving up. :roll: Technically the USA is still at war with North Korea. Amazingly that truce is still holding up, for now at least. Amazing enough is that neither side gave up. They have just put the war on a shelf for a date to be determined.
Sort of old sod we quit. We shouldn't have been there in the first place. That damn domino theory and the Gulf of Tonkin resolution befuddled a lot of Democrats and Republicans in the early 60s. Had to stem the red tide we did. :roll:
You could call it that if you prefer. IMO the mood of the country forced the politicians to stop funding the conflict anymore. The Tet Offensive and Walter Cronkite were the final straw. I suppose theoretically the US could be romping around the jungles still today looking for the elusive VC. There is or should be a clear vision how victory is defined in any conflict. Korea should have demonstrated that to anyone that was paying attention. Germany and Japan both learned the hard way what the path to unconditional surrender looks like. War really is hell my man. Do you think General Sherman was jerking your chain? He spoke often about his distain for war. The folks we send to fight understand that better than anyone else. They get to witness the carnage up close and personal and if they live spend the rest of their lives dealing with it.

My dad knew all about that. When he first came home an intense thunderstorm terrified him to no end. Have you ever seen Band of Brothers? Can you wrap your head around the fact these soldiers were so terrified they chit in their foxholes instead of walking around in the open. My old man died with German 88 shrapnel still in his back. My old man refused his purple 💜. With all the chit he witnessed he never considered himself worthy. War is hell my man. The people by and large that start war are never the people that have the privilege of doing the dirty work.

You got a smart ass video clip that covers that? :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:20 am

You could call it that if you prefer. IMO the mood of the country forced the politicians to stop funding the conflict anymore. The Tet Offensive and Walter Cronkite were the final straw. I suppose theoretically the US could be romping around the jungles still today looking for the elusive VC. There is or should be a clear vision how victory is defined in any conflict. Korea should have demonstrated that to anyone that was paying attention. Germany and Japan both learned the hard way what the path to unconditional surrender looks like. War really is hell my man. Do you think General Sherman was jerking your chain? He spoke often about his distain for war. The folks we send to fight understand that better than anyone else. They get to witness the carnage up close and personal and if they live spend the rest of their lives dealing with it.

My dad knew all about that. When he first came home an intense thunderstorm terrified him to no end. Have you ever seen Band of Brothers? Can you wrap your head around the fact these soldiers were so terrified they chit in their foxholes instead of walking around in the open. My old man died with German 88 shrapnel still in his back. My old man refused his purple 💜. With all the chit he witnessed he never considered himself worthy. War is hell my man. The people by and large that start war are never the people that have the privilege of doing the dirty work.
Or we were defeated?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:22 am

Or we were defeated?
You didn't read far enough before you responded. The last time I looked we won WW2 and UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER was the order of the day. That meant Germany and Japan didn't have options or have any say in the terms of surrender. If you don't believe me check out the looks on the faces of the Japanese leadership that day on the Big Mo when they signed the UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER TREATY. It took destroying most of Japan to get them on that battle ship.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:34 am

Or we were defeated?
You didn't read far enough before you responded. The last time I looked we won WW2 and UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER was the order of the day. That meant Germany and Japan didn't have options or have any say in the terms of surrender. If you don't believe me check out the looks on the faces of the Japanese leadership that day on the Big Mo when they signed the UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER TREATY. It took destroying most of Japan to get them on that battle ship.
So wars don’t always end with the loser unconditionally surrendering?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:38 am

Or we were defeated?
That can happen when a declaration of war is replaced by a non declaration of a police action. That could be because a police action isn't in the same league as declaring a state of war against another nation. You already knew that though didn't you? I'm actually only inquiring about it for a friend of mine. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:34 am

Or we were defeated?
That can happen when a declaration of war is replaced by a non declaration of a police action. That could be because a police action isn't in the same league as declaring a state of war against another nation. You already knew that though didn't you? I'm actually only inquiring about it for a friend of mine. ;)
How is Ho Chi Minh City these days? Asking for a friend.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Talking about using nuclear weapons on Poland, on Russian State TV:

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status ... 3630452986
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:34 am

Or we were defeated?
How is Ho Chi Minh City these days? Asking for a friend.
Alive and kicking. He lives next to Elvis in a super secret location.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:15 am Talking about using nuclear weapons on Poland, on Russian State TV:

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status ... 3630452986
The Russians can make this same threat against Germany since they have Iskander missiles in Kaliningrad

The Missiles of June. This is how wars begin.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:02 am How this war may end.

https://www.stimson.org/2024/testing-as ... _d1_dbrief
Thanks for posting this; very interesting article.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Macron reaffirms possibility of sending French troops to Ukraine.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2024 ... ront-lines
French President Emmanuel Macron reaffirmed he did not rule out sending troops to Ukraine, saying the issue would "legitimately" arise if Russia broke through Ukrainian front lines and Kyiv made such a request

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -red-line/

A few Western allies have undertaken small training missions inside Ukraine over the past two years. What French President Emmanuel Macron is now contemplating seems more ambitious, more public and more risky — even if the trainers he might deploy would be far from the front lines.

What is known is that despite Macron’s tough rhetoric, Paris’s deliveries of what Ukraine needs most — weapons systems and munitions — have lagged behind those of many of Ukraine’s other NATO allies.

France has supplied a few dozen long-range SCALP missiles, which were important in breaking Moscow’s blockade of Ukrainian shipping in the Black Sea, among other arms. Yet in terms of total bilateral military aid to Kyiv, France ranks behind the Netherlands, Denmark and Poland, not to mention bigger donors such as the United States, Germany and Britain.

Reports suggest Macron could announce his plan to send military trainers on the 80th anniversary of D-Day, on Thursday, when Biden and other Western leaders will join him to commemorate the landings in Normandy. In a ceremony marking Allied unity, the French leader risks highlighting his isolation — and with the prospect of precious little benefit.

France to provide Mirage 2000 fighter jets to Ukraine & train pilots.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/06/ ... ction-day/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/06/ ... ction-day/

https://kyivindependent.com/what-are-fr ... -use-them/

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ze ... 024-06-07/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2 ... -fighters/
a fan

Post by a fan »

Russian banks teetering. The Russian people are so utterly and completely F'ed for years to come........

Sad. All because of a man dealing with a Napoleon complex who thinks that taking a pointless piece of land will somehow turn back the hands of time.

Nope. Doesn't work like that, Vlad.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 024-06-12/
old salt

Post by old salt »

...forcing more economic integration with China, which can offer anything Russia needs at a lower price.
This hurts the EU.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:36 am ...forcing more economic integration with China, which can offer anything Russia needs at a lower price.
This hurts the EU.
If by "economic integration", you mean "China is buying energy from Russia at firesale prices, putting Russia even further behind?"

Okay.

The EU didn't ask for this invasion....Putin did.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:18 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:36 am ...forcing more economic integration with China, which can offer anything Russia needs at a lower price.
This hurts the EU.
If by "economic integration", you mean "China is buying energy from Russia at firesale prices, putting Russia even further behind?"

Okay.

Nah, gotta blame it on the Euros.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 pm
This hurts the EU.

Okay.

Not the Euors, the US?

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book ... ders-early
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:47 pm
This hurts the EU.

Okay.

Not the Euors, the US?

Even IF you believe this.

The promise has been kept. Putin invaded anyway. So....there goes that idea, don't you think.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:47 pm
This hurts the EU.

Okay.

Not the Euors, the US?

Even IF you believe this.

The promise has been kept. Putin invaded anyway. So....there goes that idea, don't you think.
...but Biden's still promising NATO membership for Ukraine, without consulting the American public or the rest of NATO.

Putin will never accept that. Another forever war.

Return to “POLITICS”