Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:07 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:42 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:14 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:07 pm I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator.
Honest question. What kind of reputation do you think our defensive coordinator carries in the lacrosse world? Without burying the guy here it is in no way in the league of Crawley but I will say it is exactly why Crawley is a HC and our DC is not.
Jamison is extremely well respected. He did very well at UMBC to bolster their defense. Between him and Crawley, I'd rather Crawley leave and it's not particularly close.

"Prior to returning to Homewood, Koesterer had joined the UMBC coaching staff in July 2016 and quickly made an impact on the Retriever defense. His unit finished in the top 20 in scoring defense in 2017 (19th/9.14), 2018 (1st/7.77) and 2020 (6th/8.40)"

Yes, he made UMBC be the top scoring defense despite talent gaps. Literally #1.
Arguably good success at UMBC, The OSU and JHU while serving as an Assistant Coach, Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator for almost fifteen years now but never mentioned in head coaching competitions. You’ve never asked yourself why?
Starting to think it wasn't really an "honest question"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:14 pm it is in no way in the league of Crawley but I will say it is exactly why Crawley is a HC and our DC is not.
I have to say I agree with '16. The above sounds like you know or think you know something - you're dying for it to come out but it isn't 100% complimentary so you don't want it solely and directly attributed to you.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:25 am
flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:14 pm it is in no way in the league of Crawley but I will say it is exactly why Crawley is a HC and our DC is not.
I have to say I agree with '16. The above sounds like you know or think you know something - you're dying for it to come out but it isn't 100% complimentary so you don't want it solely and directly attributed to you.
Well I know this. You stated you were surprised that Crawley got snapped up and were more fearful of losing our DC. I wasn’t. Talk to anyone in coaching and everyone knew Crawley was going to be a HC. I don’t hear that about our DC.

I asked you what kind of reputation you think our DC carries in the lacrosse world. You’ve didnt answer but jumped on a grand conspiracy that I have or think I have some bombshell.

I dont. What I have is one guy has a stellar rep and is a rising coaching star and one guy doesn’t have the same level of reputation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:17 am
Well I know this. You stated you were surprised that Crawley got snapped up and were more fearful of losing our DC. I wasn’t. Talk to anyone in coaching and everyone knew Crawley was going to be a HC. I don’t hear that about our DC.

I asked you what kind of reputation you think our DC carries in the lacrosse world. You’ve didnt answer but jumped on a grand conspiracy that I have or think I have some bombshell.

I dont. What I have is one guy has a stellar rep and is a rising coaching star and one guy doesn’t have the same level of reputation.
You heavily implied with the usual cryptic shenanigans that Coach K isn't HC material. Which I don't think is true. Just because he isn't Crawley the Wunderkind (few are) doesn't mean he's not on a more normal trajectory toward that end goal. He's still only in his late 30s — plenty of time, if it's even something he's interested in. Maybe it isn't. Or maybe the right moment/opportunity hasn't come along yet. The guy bleeds Hopkins lacrosse, he's probably pretty happy where he is at the moment.

Metzbower, Phipps, Wellner, Caputo, Georgalas, and several other extremely respected assistants are either the same age or older than K and have never had a head coaching gig either. Gerry Byrne was in his 50s when he took his first D1 head coaching job at Harvard. I'm sure there are tons of others, that's just who I thought of off the top of my head. Jamo is known as something of a defensive guru, passionate and hard-working — he's got total buy-in from the kids on that side of the ball. He'll lead his own program one day if that's something he wants.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:17 am What I have is one guy has a stellar rep and is a rising coaching star and one guy doesn’t have the same level of reputation.
And you were doing so well up until that last line. What is this reputation? Tha's as nebulous as any personal characteristic. I hear Crawley has a better aura than Koesterer. I never claimed to know either man or their "reputation" within a community that could make hiring decisions for coaching staffs. I did say I was surprised - based upon their statistical results as coordinators. UMBC had a top ranked defense and Hopkins has one as well - 11 gpg in '23 (with a goalie at 47%) 10 gpg in 24 and playing an inarguably very strong schedule. But as Homer pointed out - there is alot more than stats in selling yourself up the ladder. Good for Crawley. If JK stays at Hopkins and we continue to have defenses that surrender 10/11 gpgs per game - good for Hopkins. BTW - we used to thave the same tiresome discussion about Benson unril that coaching staff departed.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I'm just glad we didn't lose both coordinators at once.
JK definitely has some good pieces to work with next season.
The D was the strength of the team last year. Holding UMD to 5 goals was no easy feat.
Jamison is a great guy and a terrific coach.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:19 am I'm just glad we didn't lose both coordinators at once.
JK definitely has some good pieces to work with next season.
The D was the strength of the team last year. Holding UMD to 5 goals was no easy feat.
Jamison is a great guy and a terrific coach.
This. JK is an outstanding coach, clearly loves being at JHU, and plays a big part in creating a great culture at Homewood. I’m glad he’s here. Lots of factors go into the desire or opportunity to be a head coach. I seriously doubt that the only reason JK isn’t a HC is a problem with his “reputation” within the lacrosse community.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:41 am
flalax22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:17 am What I have is one guy has a stellar rep and is a rising coaching star and one guy doesn’t have the same level of reputation.
And you were doing so well up until that last line. What is this reputation? Tha's as nebulous as any personal characteristic. I hear Crawley has a better aura than Koesterer. I never claimed to know either man or their "reputation" within a community that could make hiring decisions for coaching staffs. I did say I was surprised - based upon their statistical results as coordinators.
And as you stated much more goes into a HC selection than statistics.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:37 am

You heavily implied with the usual cryptic shenanigans that Coach K isn't HC material. Which I don't think is true. Just
You know people inside the program and I know people who are and have been associated with the program and to suggest it’s cryptic shenanigans is a bit disingenuous. It’s more than fair to challenge someone who says they expected the DC to go before the OC.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:56 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:37 am

You heavily implied with the usual cryptic shenanigans that Coach K isn't HC material. Which I don't think is true. Just
You know people inside the program and I know people who are and have been associated with the program and to suggest it’s cryptic shenanigans is a bit disingenuous. It’s more than fair to challenge someone who says they expected the DC to go before the OC.
Of course it’s fair to challenge that idea but it’s not exactly fair to do so by insinuating the other guy doesn’t have what what it takes to be a HC. Apologies if that’s not what you were doing but it sure seemed like it
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Regardless of the sentiment, I hope Coach K stays for a long time and that Hopkins hires an OC soon
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Is Hop just bumping everyone up and keeping the hire in house? And Milliman would be more hands on with the offense?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JerrysWorld wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:24 pm Is Hop just bumping everyone up and keeping the hire in house? And Milliman would be more hands on with the offense?
I've heard from a few people now that this is a strong possibility
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Another shredding by the Toronto Beaches (well, actually they've had a couple close games).
11-0 with 9 regular season games to go.

Collison, one Terp, three from Cornell (Willem Firth especially doing very well).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... tgers-2024

Rutgers at home is probably the most winnable game of 2025.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 pm Another shredding by the Toronto Beaches (well, actually they've had a couple close games).

Collison, one Terp, three from Cornell (Willem Firth especially doing very well).
Who is the Terp?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:53 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:04 pm Another shredding by the Toronto Beaches (well, actually they've had a couple close games).

Who is the Terp?
Hamish McPherson
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

News is official: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ohen/63643

Chayse Ierlan joining as DOLO
Brian Kelly promoted to OC
Jon Cohen promoted to 3rd assistant

What this almost certainly means is that PM is going to run the offense.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:20 pm News is official: https://x.com/TerenceFoy/status/1802751706045776218

Chayse Ierlan joining as DOLO
Brian Kelly promoted to OC
Jon Cohen promoted to 3rd assistant

What this almost certainly means is that PM is going to run the offense.
Well, soon to be official.

Congratulations to all of them!

What will happen to Tulip 🌷 Ball?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

So I go away for 4 days and see 5 new pages and thought "what could have happened in 4 days to kick up 5+ pages" Got to the Crawley news. Good for him. Not sure I'm exactly sad to see him go but I wish him the best.

As for the moving up of guys in the pecking order. Not exactly stoked to see that but also understand that the timing of Crawley's move didn't come at the best time with summer recruiting season starting and the need to hit the summer tournaments. No real chance to get someone in at this point and still keep contacts. Add in the lack of an OC is recruiting kryptonite for opposing coaches to hone in on.

I also agree that this basically means that the offense will be Millman's. I also think Kelly was promoted on the view that "we've had 4 years and 2 OCs" and Kelly likely isn't going anywhere. Not sure that is a good thing but stability is certainly something the team needs in the OC position. Now, maybe they can push the ball a little more.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”