Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:52 pm Niki Lauda, one hell of a driver and a man with grande juevos.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936

Grande huevos is right. I well remember that terrible crash that he survived and how he was forced to retire - but he came back cause he was all guts. Awesome F1 racer.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Bart Starr: https://tinyurl.com/y5towyew

Lots of tears being shed in Badgerland & in Lake Wobegone for him. An awesome old school player who always gave 100% every time he laced on the boots.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

RIP Bill Buckner

That moment the ball was going through Bill’s legs I was in a bar brawl in a Long Island parking lot backing up our old laxpower friend sore+old. Will never forget it!

RIP. Great player unfortunately known for his greatest error.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Yeah, it's a shame about Buckner's legacy considering how great a hitter he was. After all, the game had been tied at that point which means the bullpen did not get its job done (recall that the bullpen gave up 8 runs late in the next game). Further, that was only in game 6 with still another game to go. I always faulted manager John McNamara for not replacing Buckner at 1b, considering how bad his legs looked late in the game.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

DD-Tech wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 pm RIP Bill Buckner

That moment the ball was going through Bill’s legs I was in a bar brawl in a Long Island parking lot backing up our old laxpower friend sore+old. Will never forget it!

Wondering why ol' S&O never showed up here at FanLax...do you know DD? Hope he's alright...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:46 am
DD-Tech wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 pm RIP Bill Buckner

Wondering why ol' S&O never showed up here at FanLax...do you know DD? Hope he's alright...

He is doing well... working on his golf game (and oh boy! it needs work!)

I think the political back and forth got to a point of becoming too personal and no longer was fun for him. I believe that even if it was still laxpower it would still be the same result. I have made it a point to stay out of the politics forum. Can't even remember the last time I have watched CNN or FOX for more than a 30 second headline grab. It's been nice for me that's for sure!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

“It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th, 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127,” it read. “He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He’s interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, ‘Oh behave yourselves. Thank you…. and good evening everybody.'

RIP
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DD-Tech wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 pm [quote=dislaxxic post_id=56281 time=<a href="tel:1559047598">1559047598</a> user_id=258]
[quote=DD-Tech post_id=56173 time=<a href="tel:1558998089">1558998089</a> user_id=61]
RIP Bill Buckner

[/quote]

He is doing well... working on his golf game (and oh boy! it needs work!)

I think the political back and forth got to a point of becoming too personal and no longer was fun for him. I believe that even if it was still laxpower it would still be the same result. I have made it a point to stay out of the politics forum. Can't even remember the last time I have watched CNN or FOX for more than a 30 second headline grab. It's been nice for me that's for sure!
[/quote]

DD - I’m sure Dis and I aren’t the only ones here who are happy to see this update on Sore. I’ve always wondered where he’s been and have hoped his departure was caused by something like you suggest and not because of something serious.

Please send him my regards.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Arte Johnson, Master of Hilarious Characters on 'Laugh-In,' Dies at 90

Arte Johnson, the comic best known for the hilarious characters he created for the 1960s NBC smash hit Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, has died. He was 90.

The 5-foot-4 Johnson, a master of ad libs, double-talk and dialects who was content to be a "second banana," died Wednesday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles of heart failure following a three-year battle with bladder and prostate cancer, his family announced.

Johnson cracked up Laugh-In audiences with his portrayal of Wolfgang, a former German storm trooper who muttered "Verry interesting" to the most cracked proposals (or, "Verry interesting … but stupid". He said he got the idea for the character while watching Errol Flynn and Ronald Reagan battle the Nazis in the 1942 movie Desperate Journey.

Outfitted in a comic combination of Charlie Chaplin and Albert Einstein — walking stick, bad suit, frizzy hair, odd top hat — Johnson also was delightful as Tyrone F. Horneigh, a dirty old man who propositioned the spinster Gladys (Ruth Buzzi) on a park bench. After his suggestive mutterings, she would swat him with her oversized purse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/arte- ... li=BBnbfcL

Thanks Arte for all those many laughs!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Joao Gilberto:

Unknown here in Lake WOEbegone but very popular in Gotham back in the day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... o-gilberto

While Brazil mourns his lost, fascist leader Bolsonaro disregarded this sad news.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ross Perot, 89

"I'm all ears"

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jim Bouton, 80

"Ball Four"

Truly one of a kind.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Walt Michaels, 89

https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/jets-grea ... -michaels/

''Michaels died Wednesday in his home state of Pennsylvania at the age of 89. He is best remembered for his six seasons as head coach of the Jets, when he brought the team back to respectability, and for being the defensive coordinator of the 1968 team that won the franchise’s only Super Bowl.

“If we were in the middle of practice and practice wasn’t going the way he wanted, he would blow a whistle and we’d start the whole practice over again,” Lyons said. “I think as players we learned to respect that. He wanted to win just as much as we did.”

His former players talked about a tough coach who they grew to love.

“Walt was old school,” Jets legend Joe Klecko said. ''

Old school - to me, that's the greatest compliment of all.

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 am Walt Michaels, 89

https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/jets-grea ... -michaels/

''Michaels died Wednesday in his home state of Pennsylvania at the age of 89. He is best remembered for his six seasons as head coach of the Jets, when he brought the team back to respectability, and for being the defensive coordinator of the 1968 team that won the franchise’s only Super Bowl.

“If we were in the middle of practice and practice wasn’t going the way he wanted, he would blow a whistle and we’d start the whole practice over again,” Lyons said. “I think as players we learned to respect that. He wanted to win just as much as we did.”

His former players talked about a tough coach who they grew to love.

“Walt was old school,” Jets legend Joe Klecko said. ''

Old school - to me, that's the greatest compliment of all.
Joe Klecko was old school as well.Walt was tough.but had a grand and somewhat sardonic sense of humor.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

"Sweet Pea" Pernell Whitaker:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/us/boxer ... index.html

Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker, considered one of the greatest lightweight boxers of all time, died Sunday after he was hit by a vehicle in Virginia, police said.

He was 55 years old.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Harley Race - self proclaim KING of pro wrestlers:

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/local/o ... utType=amp

“Long live the King!”

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hall of Fame LB Nick Buoniconti dies at 78

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/272 ... ti-dies-78

Another great loss for the sports world.

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Lost in the news cycle - Toni Morrison

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/book ... -dead.html
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Rosie Ruiz - the Republican of long distance running:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... 6-n1040651

"It's a colorful part of the Boston Marathon history, that's for sure," said Bill Rodgers, who won the men's race that year and was immediately suspicious of the woman sitting next to him on the awards podium.

I well remember the post race interview in which he immediately voiced skepticism over her "victory".

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”