Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by wgdsr »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:41 pm Culture is important so I hope the captains are part of the search process. As for crawley, I'm sure he'll be on to greener pastures again in a few years.
maybe. or maybe he has an opportunity to mold a program in his own image with a good amount of support and a good foundation.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:02 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:41 pm Culture is important so I hope the captains are part of the search process. As for crawley, I'm sure he'll be on to greener pastures again in a few years.
maybe. or maybe he has an opportunity to mold a program in his own image with a good amount of support and a good foundation.
For someone like Crawley, I'm sure he has grander aspirations than High Point.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:02 pm
Perhaps. He's only been coaching for about 7 years and this will be his 5th job. First time he's been a part of a head coaching search to my knowledge and he got the offer and accepted. He's moving up and around about as fast it's possible to do so.

This is not a criticism by the way — it's a valid way to go about your career and he's clearly talented. I remember a few years ago during his Lehigh tenure that those in the know were saying he was destined to become a head coach and his brief time at Hopkins certainly didn't alter that trajectory.

All of this is to say that it just doesn't really strike me as a situation he will stay in super longterm. I don't claim to be an expert on HPU but there seemed to be somewhat of a question about the school's commitment to lacrosse from a few people here. I do know at least one sitting head coach of a program roughly equivalent to High Point was interviewing for the position and dropped out — who knows if it was over money or just not the right fit but it was something I took note of. The process took pretty long by these things' standards, which suggests either they had so many candidates that they had a hard time deciding or that by the time a decision was made they were into the second or third tier of guys on their wish list. There apparently was also some weirdness about whether or not they were going to offer Broschart the job and the word is they took too long so he said thanks but no thanks and grabbed the Navy opening when it presented itself.

Wish Crawls the best — dude has all the intangibles to be a successful head coach. Have never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Even dating back to his days as a captain on the Jays. Knew he was different from most.

As for the Blue Jays I would expect PM to expedite the process for his replacement for recruiting purposes. Mid-June already, much later than when he had to replace the last OC.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator. There are some statistics that make me pause.
In 2021 Lehigh went 10-2 and you don't have to read very far in a bio to discover that the 14 goals per game was the highest for Lehigh in quite some time. One caveat to that however - 5 of those wins and many many of those goals were on the backs of playing Bucknell twice (2-6) 36 goals, Lafayette twice 32 goals and NJIT 24 goals. 92 goals in 5 games - that of course is almost 20 per game. When they played Rutgers in the NCAAs they scored 5. The next year with many of the same players - Cole/Kirst etc. they averaged 3 goals less per game. Now with Hopkins and two major additons - Collison and Melendez the Jays offense increased its GPG output from 11 to 12.5 - not bad - then with virtually the exact same team - it dropped back closer to 11 in 24 and there certainly wasn't anyone on this board sending Hopkins last 6 or so game tapes into the Hall of Fame for offensive prowess. So wish him the best - maybe he will return to Homewood as the big cheese someday but slightly puzzled at this decision by High Point at this time.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

If Crawley was HPU’s third or fourth choice (third or fourth offer), they got a good bargain.

I think Coach Crawley will earn some success there. Not sure how long he will stay, but this will be an invaluable experience for him. Not many folks get to be a Division I HC at his age.

His choice of assistant coaches will be quite telling.

We will also see what a true “Crawley offense” is. Something tells me it won’t be Tulip 🌷 Ball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:07 pm I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator. There are some statistics that make me pause.
In 2021 Lehigh went 10-2 and you don't have to read very far in a bio to discover that the 14 goals per game was the highest for Lehigh in quite some time. One caveat to that however - 5 of those wins and many many of those goals were on the backs of playing Bucknell twice (2-6) 36 goals, Lafayette twice 32 goals and NJIT 24 goals. 92 goals in 5 games - that of course is almost 20 per game. When they played Rutgers in the NCAAs they scored 5. The next year with many of the same players - Cole/Kirst etc. they averaged 3 goals less per game. Now with Hopkins and two major additons - Collison and Melendez the Jays offense increased its GPG output from 11 to 12.5 - not bad - then with virtually the exact same team - it dropped back closer to 11 in 24 and there certainly wasn't anyone on this board sending Hopkins last 6 or so game tapes into the Hall of Fame for offensive prowess. So wish him the best - maybe he will return to Homewood as the big cheese someday but slightly puzzled at this decision by High Point at this time.
Jury was certainly out on Crawley. While i wish he didn't leave, i and others certainly wanted to see more from the offense down the stretch.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:07 pm I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator. There are some statistics that make me pause.
How he got the job?

For starters, he got some great references.

https://highpointpanthers.com/news/2024 ... coach.aspx

Second, he probably came at a good price point.

Third, for this church-affiliated school in the South, I suspect it was important that Crawley is soon to be married (congratulations, HC!). It was charming that he proposed to Miranda Ibello (former Hopkins women’s lax player) at Homewood Field. How cute is that?!?

https://www.instagram.com/jcrawley44/p/ ... mg_index=1

As long as HPU doesn’t go bankrupt from all their building projects and opening of new schools, I think Crawley is going to be a terrific HC for them. HPU is certainly committed to athletic success.

Now, if only that pesky academic accreditation board will just leave the school alone ….

https://sacscoc.org/app/uploads/2023/06 ... 3final.pdf

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:19 pm Now, if only that pesky academic accreditation board will just leave the school alone ….

DocBarrister
In fairness, you've got an accreditor whose name appears to be pronounced Sacks Cock. No wonder they have trouble securing compliance; this is like assigning a Mr. Richard Swett to run 8th grade detention.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Homer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:21 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:19 pm Now, if only that pesky academic accreditation board will just leave the school alone ….

DocBarrister
In fairness, you've got an accreditor whose name appears to be pronounced Sacks Cock. No wonder they have trouble securing compliance; this is like assigning a Mr. Richard Swett to run 8th grade detention.
Well, true. SACSCOC handles accreditation for the Old Confederacy, so it all kinda makes sense.

DocBarrister 💁🏽‍♀️
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Homer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:21 am

DocBarrister
:lol:
Homer

Post by Homer »

I guess the rejoinder here is, well, you aren't hiring him to be OC. You can certainly hire a guy where part of the appeal is he's proven to be a great tactician on one side of the ball and he'll have de facto control there. But you can also hire a guy who says, "my boss's model has been to delegate very clearly to the OC and DC, I've seen it work, I know how make it work, and that's what I plan to do here." In that case it's not really so much about Crawley's track record improving (or not) the offensive output as OC. It's more a matter of, you've got multiple data points where a program holistically got stronger while he was there and people involved say, "yeah, this was the key guy in that."

That said, I'm a little surprised too, but obviously HP liked what they saw, and I'm very happy for him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The Crawley news conference ! An in person lacrosse coaching news conference !!! is up on the HPU athletics website. Did a nice job of thanking everyone. Good luck to him.

The only certainties I know about the new oc search are that there will be typos in the inside lacrosse reports and quint will have comments that will drive many of you absolutely nuts.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:11 am The Crawley news conference ! An in person lacrosse coaching news conference !!! is up on the HPU athletics website. Did a nice job of thanking everyone. Good luck to him.

The only certainties I know about the new oc search are that there will be typos in the inside lacrosse reports and quint will have comments that will drive many of you absolutely nuts.
I hope they hire an OC who will play up tempo.
With so many takeaways these days and transition plays the Jays need to capitalize on that.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Losing assistants to HC jobs is the sign of a healthy and successful program. Good luck to John and thanks for a great run at JHU.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:22 am Losing assistants to HC jobs is the sign of a healthy and successful program. Good luck to John and thanks for a great run at JHU.
Petro has taken a beating for awhile especially on his recruiting but this is a validation of him, someone this young rushing through the ranks. I think one of you mentioned we have the younger brother of Nolting-a former HPU star coming soon.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

What is Ryan Brown doing now? Didn't see his name listed yet.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DougELax wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:00 pm What is Ryan Brown doing now? Didn't see his name listed yet.
Moved to Texas, started a club program and works in insurance.

One of the goals at this point is probably stability — I doubt PM will want to replace another OC in two years. So he might lean toward someone who's committed to being here for awhile. That might favor someone like Boyle or Rewkowski.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:07 pm I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator.
Honest question. What kind of reputation do you think our defensive coordinator carries in the lacrosse world? Without burying the guy here it is in no way in the league of Crawley but I will say it is exactly why Crawley is a HC and our DC is not.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:14 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:07 pm I won't say anything bad about Crawley - don't know the man but I will say I wonder how he got the job. I would have been much more fearful of losing our defensive coordinator rather than the offensive coordinator.
Honest question. What kind of reputation do you think our defensive coordinator carries in the lacrosse world? Without burying the guy here it is in no way in the league of Crawley but I will say it is exactly why Crawley is a HC and our DC is not.
Jamison is extremely well respected. He did very well at UMBC to bolster their defense. Between him and Crawley, I'd rather Crawley leave and it's not particularly close.

"Prior to returning to Homewood, Koesterer had joined the UMBC coaching staff in July 2016 and quickly made an impact on the Retriever defense. His unit finished in the top 20 in scoring defense in 2017 (19th/9.14), 2018 (1st/7.77) and 2020 (6th/8.40)"

Yes, he made UMBC be the top scoring defense despite talent gaps. Literally #1.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:42 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:14 pm
Jamison is extremely well respected. He did very well at UMBC to bolster their defense. Between him and Crawley, I'd rather Crawley leave and it's not particularly close.

"Prior to returning to Homewood, Koesterer had joined the UMBC coaching staff in July 2016 and quickly made an impact on the Retriever defense. His unit finished in the top 20 in scoring defense in 2017 (19th/9.14), 2018 (1st/7.77) and 2020 (6th/8.40)"

Yes, he made UMBC be the top scoring defense despite talent gaps. Literally #1.
Arguably good success at UMBC, The OSU and JHU while serving as an Assistant Coach, Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator for almost fifteen years now but never mentioned in head coaching competitions. You’ve never asked yourself why?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”