Brown 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
IvyBrown

Re: Brown 2025

Post by IvyBrown »

Anyone have any formal updates on assistants? Who is OC who is DC? I have not seen anything formally announced - seems like Dalys assistants still listed - not suggesting that is bad - just trying to figure out if it has been settled
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:54 pm Anyone have any formal updates on assistants? Who is OC who is DC? I have not seen anything formally announced - seems like Dalys assistants still listed - not suggesting that is bad - just trying to figure out if it has been settled
Wisnauskas
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

Apparently the FOGO coach from HP is now on staff.
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Not sure who that is but the DC James Chakey has been taken down off the HPU site and there was speculation he may follow Torpey to Brown. He’s a good coach.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Good recon. I don’t think either of the prior coaches have been formally announced yet, but this is good stuff
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

stevemc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:35 pm Not sure who that is but the DC James Chakey has been taken down off the HPU site and there was speculation he may follow Torpey to Brown. He’s a good coach.
How many coaches does the NCAA permit? Do the Ivies permit the same number?

Trying to keep track of Brown's new hires, I'm guessing: HC, OC, DC, FOGO, and GK. This seems like a lot.
stevemc

Post by stevemc »

Ezra White wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:05 pm
stevemc wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:35 pm Not sure who that is but the DC James Chakey has been taken down off the HPU site and there was speculation he may follow Torpey to Brown. He’s a good coach.

Trying to keep track of Brown's new hires, I'm guessing: HC, OC, DC, FOGO, and GK. This seems like a lot.
That is too many. 3 assistants I think
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Still Torpey & the holdover coaches on the lacrosse website.
After a quick transition at the top, things moving slowly. I know what seems to be in the pipeline, but does the athletic dept shut down after commencement? I know it doesn't.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

stevemc wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:42 pm
Ezra White wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:05 pm

That is too many. 3 assistants I think
One head coach
Three paid assistants now allowed by NCAA
One volunteer coach
One Director Ops who is not allowed to have an on field role
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The first (I believe) commitment of the Torpey era is a good one: Matt Egan - midfield - Middlesex School 2025. He’s already built like he could play in a D1 game this afternoon and is also a standout hockey player. That time on the ice means his stick isn’t quite as polished as the 2025s who grew up as 24/7 lax rats, but I think it’s benefitted his game in other ways and you can see the hockey player's wrists in the snap of his release. I think he's got the tools to compete at dmid from the start and the potential to become the two-way threat he is at the high school level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Byen49eS7I
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:21 am The first (I believe) commitment of the Torpey era is a good one: Matt Egan - midfield - Middlesex School 2025. He’s already built like he could play in a D1 game this afternoon and is also a standout hockey player. That time on the ice means his stick isn’t quite as polished as the 2025s who grew up as 24/7 lax rats, but I think it’s benefitted his game in other ways and you can see the hockey player's wrists in the snap of his release. I think he's got the tools to compete at dmid from the start and the potential to become the two-way threat he is at the high school level.

Good looking "tape". One thing on all these recruiting vids I'd like to ask the coaches (and players, players' parents): why not have the kid do voice-overs instead of music? Explain what he saw on some at least of the plays: "I felt the defender overplaying my strong hand & rolled back...", "their 2nd slides were sloppy so I knew my teammate would be open on the pipe..." stuff like that. I think recruiters would love some of that. Or is that done in the face-to-face stuff once a staff is more interested in the kid?
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:45 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:21 am The first (I believe) commitment of the Torpey era is a good one: Matt Egan - midfield - Middlesex School 2025. He’s already built like he could play in a D1 game this afternoon and is also a standout hockey player. That time on the ice means his stick isn’t quite as polished as the 2025s who grew up as 24/7 lax rats, but I think it’s benefitted his game in other ways and you can see the hockey player's wrists in the snap of his release. I think he's got the tools to compete at dmid from the start and the potential to become the two-way threat he is at the high school level.

Good looking "tape". One thing on all these recruiting vids I'd like to ask the coaches (and players, players' parents): why not have the kid do voice-overs instead of music? Explain what he saw on some at least of the plays: "I felt the defender overplaying my strong hand & rolled back...", "their 2nd slides were sloppy so I knew my teammate would be open on the pipe..." stuff like that. I think recruiters would love some of that. Or is that done in the face-to-face stuff once a staff is more interested in the kid?
I think that's a great idea. Even if it is done in the face-to-face it might help a kid get one of those meetings.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

BrownDad wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:01 am

I think that's a great idea. Even if it is done in the face-to-face it might help a kid get one of those meetings.
Definitely not a bad idea. In reality I think the biggest problem with that would be timing on the tape. I don't think you would be able to effectively have a clear, well spoken voice over from the player in the time the highlight plays out on the video. The alternative would be to pause the video while the player does the voice over and I don't know how much patience the college coaches would have for that. I've heard a few college coaches state that the recruits' video has about 20 seconds to get their attention and determines if they keep watching. Still like the thought process though.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Inside Lacrosse podcast, early segment on Brown/Torpey

6/26 The Source: Coach Carousel Recap, 'Most Impactful Transfer' Draft (sorry, can't seem to cut/paste a link; just go to the podcast & listen.)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Actually I know of one coach that actually did that. He wanted my son to go through his highlights and explain why he picked those and explain what he saw. We didn’t go through the exercise but my impression was that it was a standard process for him. I really don’t like many of the “highlight” videos I see. In the old days, there was no music and generally longer.
“I wish you would!”
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

A good listen. Basically says a home run hire.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Does anyone know if Jack Kelly will play in 2025?
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

PATalk wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:30 am Does anyone know if Jack Kelly will play in 2025?
My understanding is that he is playing.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Here we go:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rothman Head Coaching Chair for Men's Lacrosse Jon Torpey announced the additions of James Chakey and Logan Wisnauskas to the staff ahead of the 2025 season.

Chakey and Wisnauskas both join the staff after spending the 2024 season at High Point under Torpey.

In 2024, Chakey helped the Panthers to a 9-7 overall record in 2024 and guided a defense that ranked in the top half of the NCAA. In two years at Washington College, Chakey helped five Shoremen earn All-Centennial League honors.

A 2016 Penn State graduate, Chakey was a four-year letterwinner in lacrosse and earned the Big 10 Sportsmanship Award and Penn State's True Grit Award as a senior.

Wisnauskas arrives to College Hill after spending the 2024 season as a volunteer assistant coach at High Point under Torpey.

A standout player at Maryland, Wisnauskas led the Terrapins to an undefeated National Championship season in 2022, earning First Team All-America honors and the Tewaaraton Award. He was selected first overall in the 2022 PLL Draft by the Chrome. He holds the Maryland program records for points (340), goals (205), and points in a season (103 – 2022).

In the professional ranks, Wisnauskas was named a PLL All-Star in 2022 and 2023.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Figured. So bringing the whole staff - continuity. Will be interesting for sure. Exciting times for Brown lax

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”