Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LiveLaxLove

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:52 am As only an affiliate member of the BIG10, I would not be surprised if Hopkins gets pushed out at of the conference. Where they would end up remains to be seen.
Was just thinking about that. Maybe they can get into the ACC, sans FSU, Clemson, etc.?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:29 am
BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:06 am
LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:03 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:56 am
BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:45 am In an attempt to bring this back to the topic -

What does Clemson and Duke need to do in the transfer portal to take the next step

(For Clemson I guess that would be making the tournament, for Duke - I guess Final 4?)

Not sure about what Duke recruiting is - but I can’t believe Clemson could really be doing better there …

So what do they need to do in the portal?

(For the record - I think the only way for both of them to move forward in the Acc is for a team ahead of the them to fall - and I don’t see that happening. What they should do is jump conferences - like the rest of their sports want to do)
Clemson will be the first to go (not including FSU here since lax hasn't started up yet). And where football leads, the others follow. A Big 10 move for the Tigers puts lax in a bit better position than they're in currently (conference wise), but still would have to prove themselves against Hopkins, Penn State and MD (not bothering comparing them to the Cats yet). If Clemson goes to the SEC, perhaps Clemson would be the Florida replacement in the AAC making them the defacto top 2 team (or make an SEC lax league more likely...).
You really think Hopkins can hang with those schools in a few years when those schools have:
1. Unlimited full scholarships (up to roster caps)
2. World class facilities
3. Best support (charter flights, treatment, nutrition, etc.)
4. Major NIL programs that produce huge platforms
I actually don’t know how Hopkins can pay for the travel of new Big10.
Straight heat here...Hopkins views their lacrosse programs as marketing arms for a largely non-athletic school tied to one of the best medical systems in the country (and that is where the $ comes from to fund the athletic marketing arm).
A largely non-athletic school that has won back to back Learfield Director's Cups for top DIII athletics program in the country and finished second the two years prior.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:09 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:29 am
BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:06 am
BigRedChant wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:45 am In an attempt to bring this back to the topic -

What does Clemson and Duke need to do in the transfer portal to take the next step

(For Clemson I guess that would be making the tournament, for Duke - I guess Final 4?)

Not sure about what Duke recruiting is - but I can’t believe Clemson could really be doing better there …

(For the record - I think the only way for both of them to move forward in the Acc is for a team ahead of the them to fall - and I don’t see that happening. What they should do is jump conferences - like the rest of their sports want to do)
Clemson will be the first to go (not including FSU here since lax hasn't started up yet). And where football leads, the others follow. A Big 10 move for the Tigers puts lax in a bit better position than they're in currently (conference wise), but still would have to prove themselves against Hopkins, Penn State and MD (not bothering comparing them to the Cats yet). If Clemson goes to the SEC, perhaps Clemson would be the Florida replacement in the AAC making them the defacto top 2 team (or make an SEC lax league more likely...).
You really think Hopkins can hang with those schools in a few years when those schools have:
I actually don’t know how Hopkins can pay for the travel of new Big10.
Straight heat here...Hopkins views their lacrosse programs as marketing arms for a largely non-athletic school tied to one of the best medical systems in the country (and that is where the $ comes from to fund the athletic marketing arm).
A largely non-athletic school that has won back to back Learfield Director's Cups for top DIII athletics program in the country and finished second the two years prior.
Going to suck watching these historic programs going downhill, but just like Princeton Football with it's 28 National Championships (last one in 1950), times are changing and certain schools won't hang around. Imagine telling people in 1950, after coming off it's National Championship, that Princeton football wouldn't be competing at the highest level for much longer.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

Curious if anybody has heard anything about any big names that entered the portal in the final days it was open.

Also, has anybody heard anything about Mia Mascone going anywhere? I know she was a senior at Brown and therefore has some extra eligibility. She would be a great graduate student for a team to pick up.

I am surprised with how little we’ve heard about BC and NW locking up some players from the portal. Do we think they are talking to mostly graduate students that don’t have to use the portal?
Strictnine

Post by Strictnine »

Unlike previous few years. There are not that many graduate students with eligibility. The extra year from Covid is a thing of the past. So Portal numbers and talent will be down
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:25 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:10 am

You really think schools will be spending money on a lot of those things for wlax players? Hopkins only has 2 D1 teams, men's and women's lax. They don't have to support 20+ D1 programs. They have their own lax facility that has just recently been renovated. On the men's side, Hopkins NIL program is on par with most top schools. Are we going to pretend that there are a lot of wlax players pulling in major NIL money? Not to mention, many Hopkins players don't use scholarship money thanks to the Mike Bloomberg donation. By your logic, the Ivy League may as well cancel lacrosse too. We're not talking about a revenue generating sport here.
Great points. I should clarify, there are 3 opportunities for money for athletes in college:
1. Scholarships (What programs can offer every player on the roster a full scholarship?)
2. NIL (WLax hasn't seen big time money coming in, like WBB, but has definitely had players earning NIL contracts.)
3. New NCAA Approved ~$21-22M Pay for Players (With Title IX, you can expect half of that to go to women's sports. What schools can afford that? Louisville Athletic Director just said they definitely don't have an extra $20M in the budget every year... who CAN pay that?)

My point: Hopkins won't be able to touch all 3, PLUS maintain facilities, support, etc, like PSU, Ohio State, Clemson, the rest of the B1G/SEC.
I don't know about the other big schools but PSU is not doing well financially. Yes they get piles of money from football and I'm sure they'll be around in 100 years but they get very little $ from the state vs other "state" schools. PSU is currently deciding what satellite campuses to close down so I doubt they'll be throwing more money at Wlax in the future.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Strictnine wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:19 pm Unlike previous few years. There are not that many graduate students with eligibility. The extra year from Covid is a thing of the past. So Portal numbers and talent will be down
For some reason with the expanded rosters I think portal numbers are going to increase starting 2026. Gonna be a lot of kids complaining about not playing and looking to go elsewhere. Just my opinion. I’ll come back here and let you know if I’m right in a year and a half
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I think NW will have good activity but BC will lay low and maybe get a defender. They are getting 4 great recruits for the offense and return some good players. Don’t think they need much portal activity
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:39 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:19 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:22 pm Jaylen Rosga is in the portal. Awful lot of hype for her going into college. Unfair expectations.
Another blue chip Maryland recruit we never get to see on the field much in College Park now heading elsewhere...vegas money says heading north up 81.

I would guess closer to home. The whole 22 recruiting class has been underwhelming.
From what I heard, it wasn't Rosga's choice to leave. MD coaches were sick of dealing with her father.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:08 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:39 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:19 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:22 pm Jaylen Rosga is in the portal. Awful lot of hype for her going into college. Unfair expectations.
Another blue chip Maryland recruit we never get to see on the field much in College Park now heading elsewhere...vegas money says heading north up 81.

I would guess closer to home. The whole 22 recruiting class has been underwhelming.
From what I heard, it wasn't Rosga's choice to leave. MD coaches were sick of dealing with her father.
Wow! Coaches look over some good players for that very reason Take the player You get the parents lol
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:27 pm I think NW will have good activity but BC will lay low and maybe get a defender. They are getting 4 great recruits for the offense and return some good players. Don’t think they need much portal activity
I agree with this NW has more holes to fill I would say Cuse as well So many key players leaving I think Ward has another year Do they have a goalie I know they had a younger one that tore her acl Paulson is done and she never got any time anyway I would think that’s the biggest question mark there
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:25 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:10 am

You really think schools will be spending money on a lot of those things for wlax players? Hopkins only has 2 D1 teams, men's and women's lax. They don't have to support 20+ D1 programs. They have their own lax facility that has just recently been renovated. On the men's side, Hopkins NIL program is on par with most top schools. Are we going to pretend that there are a lot of wlax players pulling in major NIL money? Not to mention, many Hopkins players don't use scholarship money thanks to the Mike Bloomberg donation. By your logic, the Ivy League may as well cancel lacrosse too. We're not talking about a revenue generating sport here.
Great points. I should clarify, there are 3 opportunities for money for athletes in college:
1. Scholarships (What programs can offer every player on the roster a full scholarship?)
2. NIL (WLax hasn't seen big time money coming in, like WBB, but has definitely had players earning NIL contracts.)
3. New NCAA Approved ~$21-22M Pay for Players (With Title IX, you can expect half of that to go to women's sports. What schools can afford that? Louisville Athletic Director just said they definitely don't have an extra $20M in the budget every year... who CAN pay that?)

My point: Hopkins won't be able to touch all 3, PLUS maintain facilities, support, etc, like PSU, Ohio State, Clemson, the rest of the B1G/SEC.
women don't get half of things now, there's no expectation that'll be the case going forward.
hopkins cares 1st about lacrosse. @ those mega-schools, lacrosse will be caught up in the wash with myriad other sports. no one knows how that will shake out. women's sports are better protected than men's.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Fischer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:59 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:27 pm I think NW will have good activity but BC will lay low and maybe get a defender. They are getting 4 great recruits for the offense and return some good players. Don’t think they need much portal activity
I agree with this NW has more holes to fill I would say Cuse as well So many key players leaving I think Ward has another year Do they have a goalie I know they had a younger one that tore her acl Paulson is done and she never got any time anyway I would think that’s the biggest question mark there
Pretty sure Ward isn’t returning. She posted grad photos today and some teammates commented how they would miss her.
gbswingames

Post by gbswingames »

Hearing BC taking a grad midfielder from Penn.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:42 pm
Pretty sure Ward isn’t returning. She posted grad photos today and some teammates commented how they would miss her.
I saw that! I know she has one more year of eligibility! I wonder if she’s going to play anywhere else? Any thoughts?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxfan2889 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:12 pm
I saw that! I know she has one more year of eligibility! I wonder if she’s going to play anywhere else? Any thoughts?
If she was in the portal, I think we'd have heard about it. STX posted something a few weeks ago congratulating her on a great career. Maybe she's just ready to move on.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:36 am
If she was in the portal, I think we'd have heard about it. STX posted something a few weeks ago congratulating her on a great career. Maybe she's just ready to move on.
So can someone clarify for me, if you are a graduate student you don’t have to enter the portal I thought? So wouldn’t Emma Ward, for example, not need to enter the portal since she is a graduate student? Idk why I think graduate students don’t have to be in the portal.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:39 am
So can someone clarify for me, if you are a graduate student you don’t have to enter the portal I thought? So wouldn’t Emma Ward, for example, not need to enter the portal since she is a graduate student? Idk why I think graduate students don’t have to be in the portal.
I don't believe this is true. The difference is that grad students can enter the portal at anytime. It doesn't have to be during the short window that the portal is open for undergrads.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:40 am
I don't believe this is true. The difference is that grad students can enter the portal at anytime. It doesn't have to be during the short window that the portal is open for undergrads.
Ahhh! thank you so much. I have had trouble understanding what the difference was.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxfan2889 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:42 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:40 am
Ahhh! thank you so much. I have had trouble understanding what the difference was.
Emma Ward CANNOT transfer unless she was in the portal before it closed, even as a graduate transfer. New NCAA rules (as of spring 2024) stipulate that graduate students can enter anytime during the academic year but must do so before the portal closes. Specific verbiage from NCAA:

“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports’ final transfer windows...”

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”