Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Hello

Re: Recruiting

Post by Hello »

But yes, sorry for Freshmen wait until this fall to start the process unless you hear otherwise from any of your coaches.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

The best use of your '27 daughter this summer aside from the tournaments is to work on 1 thing. Train specifically to get faster, it's that simple is all sports. Speed can be improved, but it must be worked at just like any skill. She can never be too fast. It's what coaches notice within 10 seconds of watching a game. The college game is just getting faster every year.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:51 am The best use of your '27 daughter this summer aside from the tournaments is to work on 1 thing. Train specifically to get faster, it's that simple is all sports. Speed can be improved, but it must be worked at just like any skill. She can never be too fast. It's what coaches notice within 10 seconds of watching a game. The college game is just getting faster every year.
Agree! But not just faster.... faster on the field. I see a ton of fast girls not get any looks from big programs only because that speed disappears when they put a stick in their hands.
spinnersend2

Post by spinnersend2 »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:57 am
laxdadpat wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:51 am The best use of your '27 daughter this summer aside from the tournaments is to work on 1 thing. Train specifically to get faster, it's that simple is all sports. Speed can be improved, but it must be worked at just like any skill. She can never be too fast. It's what coaches notice within 10 seconds of watching a game. The college game is just getting faster every year.
Agree! But not just faster.... faster on the field. I see a ton of fast girls not get any looks from big programs only because that speed disappears when they put a stick in their hands.
Couldn’t agree more. To play and be noticed there are some basic skills coaches see and speed with and without the ball is one of them. Speed when getting back into a play whether it be redefend for an A, transition for M or D, without the ball is so easily visible to even the “coaches catching up with their friends”.
When I asked each coach who seriously recruited my daughter they all said her speed with and without the ball caught their attention and put her on the evaluate her fit list. To this day her speed is a separator. Additionally she needs to be fit. Watch any good team play, no one jogs and everyone sprints relentlessly. The only jogging you see is some A in transition and that is a result of the potential green card they are instructed not to draw.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

My daughter is not on a top-tier club team, so attending camps was crucial in getting a good look. Camps allowed her to better understand the school, program, and coaches. After attending camps, she was able to narrow down her targets, and typically, she was able to get feedback on whether the school was interested. It came down to three schools, none of which were actively recruiting her before attending the camps. She ended up committing to a top 10 school, and that would never have happened if she had just relied on tournaments. I know this is not the case with everyone.

Additionally, don't underestimate the value of character. During our visit, I asked the coach she ended up committing to what they liked about my daughter. The response was along the lines of, "We knew you had the skills to play, but what really impressed us was what happened when the chips were down. We came to one of your tournament games, and you guys were getting beaten badly. But you remained encouraging and positive to your teammates, ran to the draw circle after every goal, and never quit hustling. It's easy to play when things are going well, but we wanted to see how you acted when things weren't going your way." It wasn't solely about ability, but about character as well.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I would also remind folks not to forget about non-lax development—academics, work experience, volunteerism, leadership. Balance the resources you pour into lax development with extra academic support. Most of the best lax schools are also high-academic. Students not only have to excel in the classroom and community to increase recruiting opportunities, but also have the skills to handle the demands once they are in.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Several of my 2028's teammates and their parents are already stressing over getting to the "right" showcase or big name college camp this summer - even though the club's very experienced coaches and recruiting director are telling us that it's way, way too soon.

A few of these families are flying 14 year olds who have not yet stepped onto a high school lacrosse field halfway across the country for a 1-day ID camp. :shock:
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Any college coach doesn't care what any 13-14 year olds can do at a camp. Those camps are only there for the suckers with money to burn thinking they are getting to the front of the recruiting line.
Girls finishing grade 8 should be working to being the best athlete they can be while working on their skills. Watch the college games on tv and they should make good improvement over the next 2 years before their big summer. Spend the next 2 years building up the foundation, it goes fast. Only worth it if the girls can enjoy the ride!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:55 pm Any college coach doesn't care what any 13-14 year olds can do at a camp. Those camps are only there for the suckers with money to burn thinking they are getting to the front of the recruiting line.
Girls finishing grade 8 should be working to being the best athlete they can be while working on their skills. Watch the college games on tv and they should make good improvement over the next 2 years before their big summer. Spend the next 2 years building up the foundation, it goes fast. Only worth it if the girls can enjoy the ride!
Girls finishing 8th grade should be spending their time in the summer at the beach and enjoying being a 13 year old as much as possible(obviously they have practice, tournaments, etc). They won't have that opportunity again for quite a while if they stick with lax.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Agree with hmmmm.

The worst thing the girls can do is to only live lax from 12-16 years of age. It puts way too much on recruiting. The self-doubt can tear a girl down going into summer before recruiting thinking she may have wasted her fun teenage years because she's not going to get play lacrosse at Duke, Md, Stanford, BC, NU, etc.

That pressure mostly comes from those parents spending a lot of money. They think the more you spend, the more top college will come calling.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:55 pm Any college coach doesn't care what any 13-14 year olds can do at a camp. Those camps are only there for the suckers with money to burn thinking they are getting to the front of the recruiting line.
I think, though, people read the profiles in US LAcrosse magazine of the top recruits and hear the stories of the girls who have been going to the camps "for years" and get to know the staff, and coaches got to "see them develop over time" and how much that was a part of their recruiting process, and then families get sucked into thinking that is necessary or that they will miss out if they don't do that. And they see in the "lacrosse resumes" that girls on these teams were on the all-star team at the UNC camp for four years in a row, and then it become spart of the lore. You have to go to UNC camp and be an all-star to be a top recruit.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

lacrossemwj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:19 pm
I think, though, people read the profiles in US LAcrosse magazine of the top recruits and hear the stories of the girls who have been going to the camps "for years" and get to know the staff, and coaches got to "see them develop over time" and how much that was a part of their recruiting process, and then families get sucked into thinking that is necessary or that they will miss out if they don't do that. And they see in the "lacrosse resumes" that girls on these teams were on the all-star team at the UNC camp for four years in a row, and then it become spart of the lore. You have to go to UNC camp and be an all-star to be a top recruit.
These camps are a business. What do businesses do, they sell. What are they selling on, fear. FOMO is real. Makes a lot of money for camps.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:52 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:19 pm
These camps are a business. What do businesses do, they sell. What are they selling on, fear. FOMO is real. Makes a lot of money for camps.
Yes, this!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Yep. It’s all one big Ponzi Scheme. Starts with Colleges and their camps right down to the Showcases and to the Clubs. They make a ton of money but are all dependent on each other to keep bringing in the kids. That’s why college coaches get paid at these events. And don’t kid yourself. There is no difference between AS, UA, NB AA, Juniors, Apex….they are all money grabs.

College camps are important but they are a money maker too. Or do we really think that Clemson, UNC or Duke are looking at 200 kids that show up to their camps? It’s a necessity those camps but they are evil. You can tell by the group your kid is in, if they are actually interested in you.
QuickTiger19

Post by QuickTiger19 »

To Decommit or Not to Decommit…

HS & Club Coach here - I'm interested in hearing about others' experiences working with athletes who have committed but are now questioning if they made the right choice. I have an athlete who committed in September but is now wavering and wants to contact a select group of other coaches to gauge their interest without decommitting from the current school.

I feel this is a tricky situation - if I approach these coaches as an intermediary to test the waters, there's a risk the current school finds out, which could complicate things (they could rescind the offer, it could affect the athlete's reputation, etc.).

I personally believe the athlete would have more success as a late commit if they decommit from their current school. This allows them to be upfront and honest with the staff at the current school while also actively presenting themselves to other coaches at tournaments and attending camps at target schools. It also shows they are truly committed to a different path, rather than hedging their bets and acting behind the scenes.

Would love to hear any and all thoughts and experiences.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

QuickTiger19 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:15 pm To Decommit or Not to Decommit…

HS & Club Coach here - I'm interested in hearing about others' experiences working with athletes who have committed but are now questioning if they made the right choice. I have an athlete who committed in September but is now wavering and wants to contact a select group of other coaches to gauge their interest without decommitting from the current school.

I feel this is a tricky situation - if I approach these coaches as an intermediary to test the waters, there's a risk the current school finds out, which could complicate things (they could rescind the offer, it could affect the athlete's reputation, etc.).

I personally believe the athlete would have more success as a late commit if they decommit from their current school. This allows them to be upfront and honest with the staff at the current school while also actively presenting themselves to other coaches at tournaments and attending camps at target schools. It also shows they are truly committed to a different path, rather than hedging their bets and acting behind the scenes.

damn, good for you. 1stly, i have to assume the parent(s) are in on this situation, or will be.
next, at the end, go with your gut, and that may or not be your 1st instinct as you look at it from a number of angles and possible outcomes.

a suggestion you could make on your end? that the player contacts her present-day future coach, and explain that she didn't take the time (within a few weeks in september... which is ridiculous, imo) to consider all options. that she has a handful of places she'd like to at least investigate, never really did, and determine if present school is still best fit. the coach's reaction to that may give a good indication of whether the program at least is a good fit.

obviously, any route has potential downside (and upside). one of the questions to help answer all this is how sure she is that the committed school is not for her. if it REALLY feels like it's the wrong spot altogether, cut ties.

as far as approaching other coaches without warning to the committed school, i don't see the upside for you in doing so. the parent(s) could do this just as easily if both they and the player are committed to that route. and you should also suggest that as the alternative route that they as a family/player could choose.

you have given them the options. even your opinion. but they are choosing and will live with their decision.

you may have players down the line, relationships with coaches, yada. getting involved beyond the above is not only not necessary, but potentially problematic any number of ways. of course offer to help in any other way that you can once they've chosen which way to go.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

This is why the student athlete needs to do their detailed homework on potential schools well before 9/1.
QuickTiger19

Post by QuickTiger19 »

cltlax wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:50 pm

This is why the student athlete needs to do their detailed homework on potential schools well before 9/1.
100% agree - unfortunately, I think for many in this day and age they get caught up trying to keep up with the joneses, waiting for the day they can share that stylized commitment Instagram post for everyone to see…
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:13 pm

damn, good for you. 1stly, i have to assume the parent(s) are in on this situation, or will be.
next, at the end, go with your gut, and that may or not be your 1st instinct as you look at it from a number of angles and possible outcomes.

a suggestion you could make on your end? that the player contacts her present-day future coach, and explain that she didn't take the time (within a few weeks in september... which is ridiculous, imo) to consider all options. that she has a handful of places she'd like to at least investigate, never really did, and determine if present school is still best fit. the coach's reaction to that may give a good indication of whether the program at least is a good fit.

obviously, any route has potential downside (and upside). one of the questions to help answer all this is how sure she is that the committed school is not for her. if it REALLY feels like it's the wrong spot altogether, cut ties.

as far as approaching other coaches without warning to the committed school, i don't see the upside for you in doing so. the parent(s) could do this just as easily if both they and the player are committed to that route. and you should also suggest that as the alternative route that they as a family/player could choose.

you have given them the options. even your opinion. but they are choosing and will live with their decision.

you may have players down the line, relationships with coaches, yada. getting involved beyond the above is not only not necessary, but potentially problematic any number of ways. of course offer to help in any other way that you can once they've chosen which way to go.
I think the biggest question for the player to consider is the one highlighted above. The fact she is considering this action may already speak volumes. She would not want to attend this school asking herself “what if” the entire time she’s there or until she transfers. I hate to see players commit for the sake of saying they committed when they are not buying their own decision.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:02 pm Yep. It’s all one big Ponzi Scheme. Starts with Colleges and their camps right down to the Showcases and to the Clubs. They make a ton of money but are all dependent on each other to keep bringing in the kids. That’s why college coaches get paid at these events. And don’t kid yourself. There is no difference between AS, UA, NB AA, Juniors, Apex….they are all money grabs.

College camps are important but they are a money maker too. Or do we really think that Clemson, UNC or Duke are looking at 200 kids that show up to their camps? It’s a necessity those camps but they are evil. You can tell by the group your kid is in, if they are actually interested in you.
Agree with Relax77. If you choose to attend these camps and can not answer yes to the question your kid is on the prospect team then it’s not worth your time and money.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”