Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Orange Duce

Post by Brooklyn »

The Chosen One!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHMICEqARzQ

In case you didn’t see it, or didn’t want to see it, earlier today Donald Trump boasted about a new song which has proclaimed him as “The Chosen One” — and that “God has chosen President Trump to push back against the evil in our country.” The song’s artist is Natasha Owens, and she previously had a bit of success last year with a song called “Trump Won”, which was a viral sensation among conservatives.

The Savior!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thing is eventually he’s going to squeeze his sycophant revenue sources so what’s the point in trying to suck up to the crowd of whatever they are when eventually that dude with the fake hair will eye that money as his too.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:40 am
get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:12 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:31 pm The judge did not rule that the FEC expert could not testify. Rather, he limited the scope about what he would be permitted to testify (very common with expert witnesses). The defense chose not to call him.

One of the many untruths circulating about this trial.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-m ... 4de62d9032
Correct. The limited scope included not being allowed to testify as to whether it was a violation of federal campaign finance law. He was limited in scope to the purpose and operation of the FEC in general. Therefore, his testimony was rendered to be of little to no value for the defense.

This is just one of many sketchy procedures that will result in a reversal of the verdict on appeal. Never laying out the crime until closing arguments is another. The 6th Amendment guarantees the charge must be enumerated so the client can defend. Not sure why the state get's to go last in NY, but defendant never got the chance to respond.

If I was Trump, I would turn down any pardon and let this run it's course.
Just catching up on this.

Your post to which I responded said the judge ruled the expert could not testify, which was not correct. Yes, he did rule that the expert could not give an opinion that Trump did not commit the campaign violation crime, but that is different from what you initially said. That ruling was 100% correct and will certainly be upheld on appeal. It’s black letter law, true in all state and federal courts everywhere, that an expert cannot testify to the jury about what the law is. That is the province of the judge.

Now, there are other aspects of the case that are no doubt possible fodder for appeal. But the judge’s ruling limiting the scope of the expert’s testimony is not one of them.

At least from what you read in the press, it seems as though the appeal won’t be decided until after the election. Bad break for Trump? Possibly. But you have to juxtapose that one bad break against all the other good breaks he is getting in the other cases: in the DC case from the Supreme Court, in the Georgia case from the Georgia courts, and in the Florida case from Judge Cannon.

Trump is not going to get a pardon from Kathy Hochul or, I would think, any other future Democratic New York governor. If there is ever a Republican governor, maybe that one will give him a pardon, although it may need to be posthumous. (Of course, no president can pardon Trump for these state crimes.)

People misunderstand the Trump prosecution in New York. It was not brought on by the national Democrats. In fact, the feds declined to bring a very similar prosecution. Biden did not want the state to prosecute Trump for the simple reason that he, and many others, thought Trump might get off, which would give Trump ammunition with his base.

The prosecution was brought on due to the intense loathing Manhattanites have for Trump for his decades-long foppish behavior, running around the city like he was some big deal. The overwhelming sentiment in the city was that he needed to be brought down a peg. In short, he asked for it.
Was he charged with an FEC violation by Alvin Bragg? No, he was charged with business records crimes. And some other crimes he apparently was trying to cover up by use of the "altered" records? If that's true, why wouldn't Brad Smith be allowed to testify that the FEC found no wrongdoing, even in the role of a character witness?

The FEC rule is that any act that could in any way be unrelated to a campaign (not wanting the negative publicity to affect his family life, for example) isn't under the purview of the FEC. (See John Edwards and Rielle Hunter).
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don't think it is accurate to say the FEC found no wrongdoing. Not charging him is not the same thing as not finding wrongdoing.

The expert wasn't being offered as a character witness. First of all, that isn't the type of testimony any expert would give. Second, I don't know that he was personally acquainted with Trump such as to be able to talk about his "character."

Don't remember the Edwards case all that well, but as I recall he was charged with an FEC crime so the FEC did think a violation had occurred. The jury disagreed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:57 am I don't think it is accurate to say the FEC found no wrongdoing. Not charging him is not the same thing as not finding wrongdoing.

The expert wasn't being offered as a character witness. First of all, that isn't the type of testimony any expert would give. Second, I don't know that he was personally acquainted with Trump such as to be able to talk about his "character."

Don't remember the Edwards case all that well, but as I recall he was charged with an FEC crime so the FEC did think a violation had occurred. The jury disagreed.
Equivocation and dragging everyone into the mud is the name of the game. Ironically they hate snowflakes then are cool with language being so diluted by inclusion (tactically)as to be meaningless - kind of incongruous if you think about it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

This is an opinion piece in the Times, written by a NYC lawyer (bio, below) with some experience in criminal matters and criminal appeals:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/10/opin ... ction.html

"Donald Trump has vowed to appeal his conviction on 34 counts of falsifying business records. Some on the right have argued that the trial was a “target-rich environment” for an appeal. Others have said that the U.S. Supreme Court should “step in” and provide relief to Mr. Trump.

Nevertheless, the process will begin in New York, where state law gives Mr. Trump — and any other individual with a criminal conviction — an absolute right to an appeal before an intermediate appellate court known as the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department.

As a prosecutor and a defense attorney for decades, I have argued hundreds of cases at this court. I’ve looked closely at the Trump case. The burning question now is, could his conviction be reversed on appeal? My answer is, the chances of that are not good.

Mr. Trump’s legal team can approach his appeal on several fronts, but only one, concerning the legal theory behind the falsifying business records charge, is likely to hold out anything more than the slimmest of hopes for the former president.

In recent years, the Appellate Division, First Department, has reversed appeals from criminal convictions in only about 4 to 6 percent of cases. These long odds should come as no surprise. While the Constitution guarantees criminal defendants a fair trial, it does not guarantee them a perfect one.

To warrant reversal of a jury’s verdict on account of an error, the appellate court must find that an error of some kind led directly to the conviction. A technical error that does not rise to that level is called a “harmless error” and will not cause a reversal of a conviction.

In Mr. Trump’s trial, perhaps the best example of harmless error occurred during the prosecutor’s direct examination of Stormy Daniels. The prosecutor elicited intimate details of the sexual encounter Ms. Daniels alleges she had with Mr. Trump and also her testimony that she felt physically threatened by the circumstances of their encounter. Mr. Trump’s defense counsel argued that by discussing the sexual details, which made Mr. Trump appear pathetic, and the statement that she felt intimidated, which made it appear as though the sex was not consensual, the prosecutor had greatly prejudiced Mr. Trump in the eyes of the jury. This was the subject of a mistrial motion, which Justice Juan Merchan denied.

If this supposedly prejudicial testimony is put to the judges on the appellate court, they would ask if the lurid portions of Ms. Daniels’s testimony caused the jury to convict Mr. Trump. The answer here is a clear no.

The defense counsel has cited other issues as grounds for reversal. Take, for example, Justice Merchan’s denial of a change of venue. This is more a political argument that assumes, incorrectly, that because a certain percentage of Manhattan voters did not vote for Mr. Trump, they could not possibly be fair to him. The voir dire process, in which Mr. Trump’s attorneys were fully engaged and ultimately agreed to the jury selected, undermined any claim that a Manhattan jury was incapable of being fair and impartial.

Critics of the case have also suggested that the defense was not made sufficiently aware of the theory behind the charges despite the Sixth Amendment right to notice of the “nature and cause of the accusation.” This is also most likely to fail, because on Feb. 15, Justice Merchan explained in a 30-page decision the precise nature of the charges to be faced at trial.

If the Appellate Division has some concerns with the verdict, it will probably focus on the legal theory that provided the framework for the trial. This will offer the strongest chance for a successful appeal.

That theory was novel and unprecedented. Falsifying business records in the first degree is one of the most common business crimes prosecuted by the Manhattan district attorney’s office. The basic crime is a misdemeanor, but it is elevated to a felony when the false entry in a company’s business records includes “an intent to commit another crime or to aid or conceal the commission thereof.”

When the district attorney brings a case like this, the falsifying business records charge is often charged as a felony, with various underlying common crimes, like state tax fraud, elevating it from a misdemeanor.

Alvin Bragg, the Manhattan district attorney, pursued a theory, and the crime was the violation of New York Election Law 17-152 (conspiracy to promote or prevent election), which makes it a crime to promote someone’s election to public office by “unlawful means.”

In defining “unlawful means” for the jury, Justice Merchan made reference to the tax violations, but also to the Federal Election Campaign Act, which precludes corporate campaign contributions and limits personal ones. The violation of the New York Election Law transformed this rather mundane business crime into an election interference case.

When the appellate court digs into the complicated nature of these charges after Mr. Trump inevitably appeals, it must decide if the charges were unduly vague and thus may have violated constitutional due process.

Since the false filing statute has been broadly construed by the courts, the mere reference to a federal crime would not appear to jeopardize the charges. This will be an uphill climb for Mr. Trump’s lawyers.

Our Constitution makes it difficult to convict criminal defendants by requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt and a unanimous verdict of all 12 jurors. There is a good reason the prosecution bears such a heavy burden. But once that heavy burden is met and a unanimous jury convicts a criminal defendant, it becomes onerous to overturn the jury’s decision. That is as it should be.

A further appeal to New York’s highest court, the Court of Appeals, is subject to the court’s approval. That choice is informed by the significance of the legal issue presented and the necessity of deciding it for other parties litigating in the courts of New York State. If the Court of Appeals thinks there is a need to clarify the false filing statute in light of the novel theory presented here, this might be a rare instance where it allows a second appeal.

For the case to reach the U.S. Supreme Court, it must reach and get through a decision of the Court of Appeals. But this seems like an unlikely case for the Supreme Court to hear; the appellate issue concerns a New York criminal statute, rather than the type of grave constitutional or federal statutory issue ordinarily reviewed by the Supreme Court. Yes, an “unlawful means” behind the violation of state election law referred to the Federal Election Campaign Act, but there is no federal issue directly implicated by this state prosecution.

By all indications Mr. Trump received a fair trial by a jury of his peers presided over by a very able jurist. He faces long odds against winning on appeal."

Author's biographical page:

https://mintzandgold.com/attorney/roger-stavis/
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

In the interest of fairness, I guess I should include the musings of this blockhead:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... l-merchan/

"New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan, who presided over the hush money trial of former president Donald Trump that returned 34 felony convictions, ought never to have accepted the case. And Merchan surely should have stepped away once Trump’s lawyers moved that he disqualify himself.

Yes, in response to that request, an appeals court ruled last month that Trump “has not established that he has a clear right to recusal.” But I expect that such clarity will emerge in the appeal of Trump’s conviction, which will be filed soon after his sentencing next month.

Many legal analysts who have assessed the case, finding it a disturbing aberration in how criminal law ought to be used and criminal trials conducted, have nominated their favorite “most compelling” argument for Trump’s success on appeal. Mine goes to Merchan’s astonishing decision to preside in the first place.

Begin in July 2023, when New York state’s Commission on Judicial Conduct reprimanded Merchan, sending him a “caution” because the judge had made contributions to President Biden’s reelection campaign and to two anti-Republican and anti-Trump political action committees: Progressive Turnout Project and Stop Republicans. New York absolutely prohibits its judges from making such political contributions (see below), and while the rebuke delivered to Merchan was not made public — Reuters broke the story last month — it will be much discussed in the months between now and the election.

Merchan donated $15 to the Biden campaign and $10 to each of the two committees. Why would anyone make such symbolic statements, having taken an oath to be a judge and abide by the judicial code of ethics? We cannot know, but it is plausible that Merchan needed to plant three flags to signal to Team Biden he would make a fine federal judge. Or perhaps he just loves Biden. Or perhaps Juan Merchan just detests Trump. We don’t know because the judge was never obliged to answer such questions.

“A caution does not include any penalty, but it can be considered in any future cases reviewed by the state’s Commission on Judicial Conduct,” the New York Times reported in May. “A letter outlining the caution was not released because of the commission’s rules, and Justice Merchan did not make the letter available.”

Reuters added, “Under [the New York] commission rules, a caution may be taken into consideration in the event of any future misconduct.”

Last year, New York’s Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics ruled that Merchan would not have to recuse himself after the Trump legal team raised not only the judge’s contributions to Democratic organizations, but also his daughter’s work for Democrats and Merchan’s alleged suggestion to a former Trump Organization executive last year that he cooperate against Trump in the company’s tax fraud case.

But the judicial ethics advisory committee’s advice is not binding. Merchan was free to remove himself, and should have. If Merchan’s outright support for forces aligned against a defendant in his courtroom wasn’t disqualifying, then let’s hear no more of the (ludicrous) calls for Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s recusal from Jan. 6-related cases because some people disapprove of his wife’s choice of flags to display.

In a recent episode of the podcast “The McCarthy Report,” former federal prosecutor Andrew C. McCarthy and National Review editor Rich Lowry detailed 10 grounds on which the Trump legal team could demand that the verdicts against Trump be tossed out. An appeal that stays the sentencing (which is set for July 11) requires a “colorable” claim of error, and McCarthy opined that the Merchan’s conduct amounted to a “coloring book” of such claims.

Just for starters, appeals courts must reassess the significance of Merchan’s $35 in political donations. The advisory committee’s opinion is not dispositive on the issue of recusal nor is the first appeals court’s decision. Those refusals to recuse will have to be studied in light of Merchan’s many rulings against Trump in the course of the trial.

Is there any doubt, outside feverish anti-Trump circles, that Merchan was compromised by his donations? He got a slap on the wrist from the judicial conduct commission, perhaps because the offense was Merchan’s first and the amount of the donations was so small. The judge’s lack of awareness regarding the appearance of impropriety arising from his contributions, or simple indifference to it, was abetted by the advisory committee, but the commission clearly rebuked the judge last summer for the contributions. Merchan’s decision not to recuse is mystifying.

Consider these particulars from New York’s rules governing judicial conduct:

Section 100.2 provides “A judge shall avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in all of the judge’s activities.”

Section 100.4(A) provides “A judge shall conduct all of the judge’s extra-judicial activities so that they do not: (1) cast reasonable doubt on the judge’s capacity to act impartially as a judge …”

Section 100.5(A)(1) provides “Neither a sitting judge nor a candidate for public election to judicial office shall directly or indirectly engage in any political activity except (i) as otherwise authorized by this section or by law, (ii) to vote and to identify himself or herself as a member of a political party …”

Section 100.5(A)(1)(h) spells it out: A New York judge may not make “a contribution to a political organization or candidate.”

Merchan is a partisan, and a robe doesn’t disguise the team jersey with the great big “D” he is wearing underneath it."
njbill

Post by njbill »

Waiting for Hugh’s op-ed piece criticizing the recusal habits of Thomas, Alito, and Cannon.
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:29 am Waiting for Hugh’s op-ed piece criticizing the recusal habits of Thomas, Alito, and Cannon.
I thought Republicans thought that this relentless fall to rock bottom was sooper cool with them? 1st amendment is more important than having impartial judges?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

tRump to speak with probie:

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch ... 2628037522

Dunno why he should be on any form of probation. Jail is preferable for that convicted felon. :twisted:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

So I said, “Let me ask you a question.”

And he said, “Nobody ever asked this question, and it must be because of MIT, my relationship to MIT,” very smart.

I say, “What would happen if the boat sank from its weight and you’re in the boat and you have this tremendously powerful battery and the battery’s underwater, and there’s a shark that’s approximately 10 yards over there?”

By the way, a lot of shark attacks lately. Do you notice that? A lot of shark… I watched some guys justifying it today. “Well, they weren’t really that angry. They bit off the young lady’s leg because of the fact that they were not hungry, but they misunderstood who she was.” These people are crazy.

He said, “There’s no problem with sharks. They just didn’t really understand a young woman swimming now who really got decimated and other people too,” a lot of shark attacks.

So I said, “So there’s a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards or here. Do I get electrocuted if the boat is sinking, and water goes over the battery, the boat is sinking. Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted?” Because I will tell you he didn’t know the answer.

He said, “Nobody’s ever asked me that question.”

I said, “I think it’s a good question. I think there’s a lot of electric current coming through that water.” But you know what I’d do if there was a shark or you get electrocuted, I’ll take electrocution every single time. I’m not getting near the shark.
quote from DJT, June 9th, 2024.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:30 pm

And he said, “Nobody ever asked this question, and it must be because of MIT, my relationship to MIT,” very smart.

I say, “What would happen if the boat sank from its weight and you’re in the boat and you have this tremendously powerful battery and the battery’s underwater, and there’s a shark that’s approximately 10 yards over there?”

By the way, a lot of shark attacks lately. Do you notice that? A lot of shark… I watched some guys justifying it today. “Well, they weren’t really that angry. They bit off the young lady’s leg because of the fact that they were not hungry, but they misunderstood who she was.” These people are crazy.

He said, “There’s no problem with sharks. They just didn’t really understand a young woman swimming now who really got decimated and other people too,” a lot of shark attacks.

So I said, “So there’s a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards or here. Do I get electrocuted if the boat is sinking, and water goes over the battery, the boat is sinking. Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted?” Because I will tell you he didn’t know the answer.

I said, “I think it’s a good question. I think there’s a lot of electric current coming through that water.” But you know what I’d do if there was a shark or you get electrocuted, I’ll take electrocution every single time. I’m not getting near the shark.
Game-changer. I'm voting for him now, on the electrocution over shark attack plank of his platform.
NattyBohChamps04

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:35 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:30 pm quote from DJT, June 9th, 2024.
Game-changer. I'm voting for him now, on the electrocution over shark attack plank of his platform.
I picked up an electric outboard a few years ago. Total game-changer for a lot of in-shore, sound and freshwater boating and fishing. Stupidly quiet. Batteries for a 25hp equivalent weigh as much as 20 gallons of gas and are waterproof for 30 minutes in shallow water. Hardly any maintenance. A lot of no wake areas around me and I don't need to go more than 20 knots.

Offshore and larger boats are another thing, but electric will take over for boats under 20 feet staying close to shore.

Excited to see the technology progress (and get cheaper).
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Nah, big brain would use the battery to shock the shark and tweak its ampullae of Lorenzini....
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Does Doofus' admission of retaining a third gun constitute a violation of his release terms in his various criminal indictments? Federal law is superior to state law, so DeSatan's proclamation of concealed carry in FL is moot. Any judges going to revoke his release?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:38 pm Does Doofus' admission of retaining a third gun constitute a violation of his release terms in his various criminal indictments? Federal law is superior to state law, so DeSatan's proclamation of concealed carry in FL is moot. Any judges going to revoke his release?
I thought it was laughable and silly when I presented this the hypothetical earlier. Maybe seacoaster can respond to you.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

How far, how fast, & how long can you water ski behind an elec outboard ?
NattyBohChamps04

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:56 am How far, how fast, & how long can you water ski behind an elec outboard ?
With an off the shelf motor and batteries? Non-stop for an hour or two at 20mph or ~20-40 miles. Longer if you can't or don't want to ski non-stop for an entire hour or two (forearms might get tired). A lot longer with additional batteries.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:10 am

Maybe there's a way to rapidly connect a light to the boat's battery and then stick the light into the the shark and that will cure it from wanting to eat human.

Return to “POLITICS”