UNC 2025

D1 Womens Lacrosse
uncfan1013

Re: UNC 2025

Post by uncfan1013 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:28 pm I think Charlotte Corkins also sees some time on D as a freshman. Her speed will help the transition game.

I can’t see Zenk starting. Nelson was a more highly ranked recruit and she struggled as a freshman. I see Nelson coming back a different player and her being a key to how high the ceiling is for UNC. I watched Zenk a lot over the last couple of years and often she was outplayed by the other goalie on her club team who is going to Hopkins.
I think Corkins could get time too, very good recruit.

I think Zenk could also start tho, she looked very good for her high school team? especially against the top teams like Darien. Not sure that Nelson will be starting material yet, she struggled alot this season and I wonder if she was really top 4 recruit. I think being from Colorado, she didn’t face much competition too. I think Zenk could get that spot ahead of Nicolas & Nelson
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

laxfan9999 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:28 pm I think Charlotte Corkins also sees some time on D as a freshman. Her speed will help the transition game.

I can’t see Zenk starting. Nelson was a more highly ranked recruit and she struggled as a freshman. I see Nelson coming back a different player and her being a key to how high the ceiling is for UNC. I watched Zenk a lot over the last couple of years and often she was outplayed by the other goalie on her club team who is going to Hopkins.
As I recollect, at the time of her commitment, Corkins was IL’s # 2 ranked recruit in the country. Levy is the # 4 ranked recruit. They’ve played midfield their whole life. They were recruited to play midfield. I can’t see either of them being really happy being moved to defense. And getting recruited as a middie and then getting shunted to defense- isn’t that the very reason one poster on this forum said that Markey is transferring to Syracuse ?
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:00 pm

As I recollect, at the time of her commitment, Corkins was IL’s # 2 ranked recruit in the country. Levy is the # 4 ranked recruit. They’ve played midfield their whole life. They were recruited to play midfield. I can’t see either of them being really happy being moved to defense. And getting recruited as a middie and then getting shunted to defense- isn’t that the very reason one poster on this forum said that Markey is transferring to Syracuse ?
I think you have a point but with the amount of midfielders UNC is getting in the next 2 seasons, you have to think some players would rather become a full time starter as a defender than not get much time as a midfielder. I think Levy can play both and Corkins is fast in transition so she can play both. Some players would rather get time in a position they are equally as good at then split time in your primary position.
301Hayes

Post by 301Hayes »

Most D1 college commits players midfield in HS. Most don’t end up playing midfield in college. Most college teams don’t even use 3 true 2-way midfielders.
Djkhalid

Post by Djkhalid »

Levy is a top offense player in the country. She will never start on defense. Mid or lefty attack for her. Corkins could be a def mid or defender for sure.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Djkhalid wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:18 pm Levy is a top offense player in the country. She will never start on defense. Mid or lefty attack for her. Corkins could be a def mid or defender for sure.
Agree. To state she may play D will never happen.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:17 pm

I think you have a point but with the amount of midfielders UNC is getting in the next 2 seasons, you have to think some players would rather become a full time starter as a defender than not get much time as a midfielder. I think Levy can play both and Corkins is fast in transition so she can play both. Some players would rather get time in a position they are equally as good at then split time in your primary position.

If UNC starts moving top 10 middie recruits to defense , they aren’t going to get many 10 middie recruits in the future.

You also can’t yank them back and forth between positions- it makes them weaker and less experienced at both. Also, it’s not easy to play an entirely new position starting in college. Also, the fact that they are good athletes or fast doesn’t mean they will be good defenders.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:56 pm

If UNC starts moving top 10 middie recruits to defense , they aren’t going to get many 10 middie recruits in the future.

You also can’t yank them back and forth between positions- it makes them weaker and less experienced at both. Also, it’s not easy to play an entirely new position starting in college. Also, the fact that they are good athletes or fast doesn’t mean they will be good defenders.
Two things can both be correct at the same time. Most d1 commits play midfield in high school. They are the best players and best athletes on their teams. Most d1 commit midfielders are either more naturally offense or defense inclined, but are good enough at both and athletic enough to excel in high school in the midfield. In college, this flips. The vast majority of former midfielders simply aren’t good enough to play two way midfield. They become attackers or defenders. Many of the best college defenders and attackers were midfielders in high school. Emma trenchard. Izzy Scane.

I don’t know if levy or corkins are good enough to play two way midfield at unc. Jenny levy will figure that out. I have no opinion on either of them as I haven’t seen them play. Nor do I know what levy told them when they committed as to where she saw them playing on the field.

But you are right that the EXPECTATIONS of top 10 IL ranked midfielders (and as importantly their parent) are that they will play midfield, whether or not they are actually good enough to do so at the highest level.

So I agree that if unc (or any other team) starts committing top recruits by telling them they will play position X, but consistently moves them to position Y (where Y is seen as suboptimal from the recruits perspective) it will impact their yield down the road.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Two things can both be correct at the same time. Most d1 commits play midfield in high school. They are the best players and best athletes on their teams. Most d1 commit midfielders are either more naturally offense or defense inclined, but are good enough at both and athletic enough to excel in high school in the midfield. In college, this flips. The vast majority of former midfielders simply aren’t good enough to play two way midfield. They become attackers or defenders. Many of the best college defenders and attackers were midfielders in high school. Emma trenchard. Izzy Scane.

I don’t know if levy or corkins are good enough to play two way midfield at unc. Jenny levy will figure that out. I have no opinion on either of them as I haven’t seen them play. Nor do I know what levy told them when they committed as to where she saw them playing on the field.

But you are right that the EXPECTATIONS of top 10 IL ranked midfielders (and as importantly their parent) are that they will play midfield, whether or not they are actually good enough to do so at the highest level.

So I agree that if unc (or any other team) starts committing top recruits by telling them they will play position X, but consistently moves them to position Y (where Y is seen as suboptimal from the recruits perspective) it will impact their yield down the road.
So you think UNC’s current defenders and attackers played defense and attack in HS? Maybe some of the attackers played attack but the majority of them would have played middie in Hs. This isn’t new - for any top team.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:04 pm

So you think UNC’s current defenders and attackers played defense and attack in HS? Maybe some of the attackers played attack but the majority of them would have played middie in Hs. This isn’t new - for any top team.
You misread my post. Most d1 players played midfield.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:05 pm

You said:

Coaches are already doing that, at UNC and every other top school. A coach will rarely tell a midfielder during the recruiting process exactly where they will play once they arrive on campus 2 years later. But they know in most cases it wont be at midfield. That’s the way it’s been for a while and has only gotten more so in the last several years as 2-way middies have become less and less common on many teams. Im not seeing any impact to recruiting as a result.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:14 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:05 pm

You said:

Coaches are already doing that, at UNC and every other top school. A coach will rarely tell a midfielder during the recruiting process exactly where they will play once they arrive on campus 2 years later. But they know in most cases it wont be at midfield. That’s the way it’s been for a while and has only gotten more so in the last several years as 2-way middies have become less and less common on many teams. Im not seeing any impact to recruiting as a result.
Ah. Got it. I was responding to comment about the top 10 IL recruits only. We are in agreement on nearly everyone else. And maybe you’re right. Hope springs eternal. “Just because SHE was converted into a defender doesn’t mean I will!”
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Some of UNC’s best defenders recently also played midfield in high school:

Emma Trenchard
Emily Nalls
Brooklyn Walker Welch
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

I think both Levy and Corkins end their unc careeers at midfield but I think they both see time on defense next year. I think recruits are more worried about playing early than at what position. It might actually help recruiting in that recruits know you want the best players on the field regardless of position.
Djkhalid

Post by Djkhalid »

Levy will most definitely play mid or lefty attack. Kid is a playmaker and imo a top 2 offensive player in the 24 class. She can dodge , pass and shoot. Better that the CO girls and the NY girls. Corkins is a left handed hillman with better scoring ability.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:48 pm
Djkhalid wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:18 pm Levy is a top offense player in the country. She will never start on defense. Mid or lefty attack for her. Corkins could be a def mid or defender for sure.
Agree. To state she may play D will never happen.
FACTS - no defense in her future, at least not outside of playing defense while being a 2 way mid.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

Djkhalid wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:42 pm Levy will most definitely play mid or lefty attack. Kid is a playmaker and imo a top 2 offensive player in the 24 class. She can dodge , pass and shoot. Better that the CO girls and the NY girls. Corkins is a left handed hillman with better scoring ability.
What’s a “hillman”?
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:43 pm
Djkhalid wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:42 pm Levy will most definitely play mid or lefty attack. Kid is a playmaker and imo a top 2 offensive player in the 24 class. She can dodge , pass and shoot. Better that the CO girls and the NY girls. Corkins is a left handed hillman with better scoring ability.
What’s a “hillman”?

Elizabeth Hillman
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Levy saw everyone doubting UNC next season and took action. The #1 recruiting class right now and probably the #1 transfer class right now

Confirmed transfers:
Sarah Gresham (VT leading DC)
Alice Ripper (from England)
Nicole Humphrey (was at her peak when left UNC, now joins back for a 6th year)

Close to confirmed:
Julia Ford (transfer from Brown)
Olivia Vergano (another good attacker & DC specialist from VT

Not confirmed but could happen:
Claudia Kelly (sister of Paige Kelly, has one year of eligibility)
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:36 pm Levy saw everyone doubting UNC next season and took action. The #1 recruiting class right now and probably the #1 transfer class right now

Confirmed transfers:
Sarah Gresham (VT leading DC)
Alice Ripper (from England)
Nicole Humphrey (was at her peak when left UNC, now joins back for a 6th year)

Close to confirmed:
Julia Ford (transfer from Brown)
Olivia Vergano (another good attacker & DC specialist from VT

Not confirmed but could happen:
Claudia Kelly (sister of Paige Kelly, has one year of eligibility)
For the life of me I don’t know why girls would want to commit and play, well most likely never play, for a top 10 team in this era of transfer portal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”