Maryland 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2025

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:16 pm
When Higgins arrives, though, look out. That kid is a game-changer. Can he just sign right now so the known poachers stay away?!!! Higgins probably starts Day 1.
I’m excited for Higgins, too. He’s the type of shifty, quick x qb we haven’t had since Cannizzaro.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I'm not saying all incumbents should be replaced. I'm saying every position should be open to the best available player regardless of experience or redshirt ramifications. 2024's offense was worse than 13 of the 17 opponents' offenses they played. It has appeared, based on some very low individual scoring figures, that several guys played a lot because of experience and comfort level. DK certainly was one of the best offensive players in the tournament.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:00 am I'm not saying all incumbents should be replaced. I'm saying every position should be open to the best available player regardless of experience or redshirt ramifications. 2024's offense was worse than 13 of the 17 opponents' offenses they played. It has appeared, based on some very low individual scoring figures, that several guys played a lot because of experience and comfort level. DK certainly was one of the best offensive players in the tournament.
Gotta imagine atleast DK and Spanos spots are safe
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:00 am I'm not saying all incumbents should be replaced. I'm saying every position should be open to the best available player regardless of experience or redshirt ramifications. 2024's offense was worse than 13 of the 17 opponents' offenses they played. It has appeared, based on some very low individual scoring figures, that several guys played a lot because of experience and comfort level. DK certainly was one of the best offensive players in the tournament.
Gotta imagine atleast DK and Spanos spots are safe
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

I know we have a lot of pieces now and we have a history of RS top players but we don’t really have an inside guy. Ford can be the inside finisher, cutter, off ball guy, great passer we need and he has that flair we lack.

He could slide into Maltz’s role and be better than Maltz right away. Who knows, if there is anything Duke has taught me it’s that chemistry and how things fit is often more important than talent.

Higgins does look like the piece we have been missing for a couple of years….cant wait for him to arrive.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Many of you know more about the incoming freshmen and transfers but I believe, Gravino, Aitken, #3, #88,#44 and some others will be challenging for time. As usual, Terps have D on their mind. AJ Hernandez will be impactful.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:13 pm I know we have a lot of pieces now and we have a history of RS top players but we don’t really have an inside guy. Ford can be the inside finisher, cutter, off ball guy, great passer we need and he has that flair we lack.

He could slide into Maltz’s role and be better than Maltz right away. Who knows, if there is anything Duke has taught me it’s that chemistry and how things fit is often more important than talent.

Higgins does look like the piece we have been missing for a couple of years….cant wait for him to arrive.
[/

Did you see many BL games this season? You Giving to much credit in the IL rankings
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:02 pm
Terpslax1991 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:13 pm I know we have a lot of pieces now and we have a history of RS top players but we don’t really have an inside guy. Ford can be the inside finisher, cutter, off ball guy, great passer we need and he has that flair we lack.

Did you see many BL games this season? You Giving to much credit in the IL rankings
maltz's iq was one of the 1st things to have to gameplan for. for a good while. without tempering expectations, making up for him will be...interesting.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I’m not sure if Ford would be better than Maltz right away. I’d lean towards no, but you can’t rule it out. What made Maltz so effective is he was a great shooter from a lot of different spots, could also bump inside, so he had strong versatility off-ball. And pretty much immediately he had an innate understanding of how to find space, where to go to get the ball, how to be available on the crease in transition. All sorts of things that are very hard to do as a freshman. Now that is Ford’s strength, he’s an incredibly smart player, fantastic off-ball, good shooter, coach’s son, etc. if Ford is better than Maltz, it would be because he’s likely going to be a better dodger, but being able to do that while also having what Maltz did off ball would be hard for a freshman. That’ll be the question to answer if he winds up being better early on. Again, my guess is no, but we’ll see. It’s possible!

6 transfers is more than I expected them to take, but it seemed pretty clear early on that they were going to really overhaul the personnel on offense. Additionally, this is where I think some of the less than elite recruiting classes on the offensive end the last few years is manifesting. There’s just not a lot of top notch underclassmen on this team. Spanos and Erksa have broken through, but other than that the last time a freshman really broke through in the lineup was Malever or Maltz in 2021. It has been a minute. So they do need a bit of an immediate talent injection. We’ll see if they wind up being top notch B1G players. Good news is the next two classes definitely appear to have talent capable of contributing early and raising the talent level compared to the last 2 years
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

These are the 4 players that IL has listed in the portal
Ryan Falkenstein, M, Fr.
Eric Malever, A/M, Gr. to Duke
Owen Murphy, A/M, Gr.
Cayden Onagi, A/M, Sr.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:40 am I’m not sure if Ford would be better than Maltz right away. I’d lean towards no, but you can’t rule it out. What made Maltz so effective is he was a great shooter from a lot of different spots, could also bump inside, so he had strong versatility off-ball. And pretty much immediately he had an innate understanding of how to find space, where to go to get the ball, how to be available on the crease in transition. All sorts of things that are very hard to do as a freshman. Now that is Ford’s strength, he’s an incredibly smart player, fantastic off-ball, good shooter, coach’s son, etc. if Ford is better than Maltz, it would be because he’s likely going to be a better dodger, but being able to do that while also having what Maltz did off ball would be hard for a freshman. That’ll be the question to answer if he winds up being better early on. Again, my guess is no, but we’ll see. It’s possible!

6 transfers is more than I expected them to take, but it seemed pretty clear early on that they were going to really overhaul the personnel on offense. Additionally, this is where I think some of the less than elite recruiting classes on the offensive end the last few years is manifesting. There’s just not a lot of top notch underclassmen on this team. Spanos and Erksa have broken through, but other than that the last time a freshman really broke through in the lineup was Malever or Maltz in 2021. It has been a minute. So they do need a bit of an immediate talent injection. We’ll see if they wind up being top notch B1G players. Good news is the next two classes definitely appear to have talent capable of contributing early and raising the talent level compared to the last 2 years
saying there's not a lot of top notch underclassmen on the team isn't fair. tillman had room to bring in some transfers and he did. guys get "better". they learn how to compete. sometimes they don't get the reps even in practice after figuring what 2024 needs to look like.

there will be a competition for spots and there's a good chance all 6 don't get the role they envisioned also. my guess is the staff will play the guys they think give them the best chance to win.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:58 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:40 am I’m not sure if Ford would be better than Maltz right away. I’d lean towards no, but you can’t rule it out. What made Maltz so effective is he was a great shooter from a lot of different spots, could also bump inside, so he had strong versatility off-ball. And pretty much immediately he had an innate understanding of how to find space, where to go to get the ball, how to be available on the crease in transition. All sorts of things that are very hard to do as a freshman. Now that is Ford’s strength, he’s an incredibly smart player, fantastic off-ball, good shooter, coach’s son, etc. if Ford is better than Maltz, it would be because he’s likely going to be a better dodger, but being able to do that while also having what Maltz did off ball would be hard for a freshman. That’ll be the question to answer if he winds up being better early on. Again, my guess is no, but we’ll see. It’s possible!

saying there's not a lot of top notch underclassmen on the team isn't fair. tillman had room to bring in some transfers and he did. guys get "better". they learn how to compete. sometimes they don't get the reps even in practice after figuring what 2024 needs to look like.

there will be a competition for spots and there's a good chance all 6 don't get the role they envisioned also. my guess is the staff will play the guys they think give them the best chance to win.
Here were their top scorers last year by year

Erksa: 41 (2nd)
Spanos: 39 (3rd)
Malever: 37 (4th)
Koras: 34 (4th)
Maltz: 34 (5th)
Siracusa: 31 (5th)
Kelly: 25 (4th)
Murphy: 12 (5th)

Last year, Erksa was a freshman and Spanos was 2nd year. Everyone else was upperclassmen. So there have not been underclassmen breaking into a lineup that has been starved for offensive production. Yes, the staff will play the guys they think give them the best chance to win. So, if there were underclassmen that did that, they would play. There have not been many underclassmen on this roster that they think give them the best chance to win in a long time.

This coaching staff has never been afraid to play young players. Maltz and Brennan started as freshman in 2020. Kyle Long was an important piece as a freshman in 2019. Wisnauskas, Fairman, and DeMaio all started in 2018 as either true or redshirt freshmen. Bernhardt, Rambo, etc. all started immediately. What that tells you is they'll play the best players. If there haven't been young players playing on an offense that isn't producing the last two years, then they don't have a lot of very good younger players.

Their recruiting classes even largely indicate this. They had 12 players in their '22 class. 7 were FO/G/DM/D. They only recruited 8 players total in last years class. One of em was a middie who just transferred out.

If you bring in 6 transfers, 4 of them on the offensive side, you do it because you think you need a talent injection on that side. Last year they took 4, 3 of whom were on the defensive end. All of them played significant minutes, one of them was a starter on close defense. Going into 2023 they took 3 transfers; one of them was a goalie who wound up starting a game after McNaney got hurt, the other was one of their Top 2 SSDMs. So when they add players in the portal, they're getting guys who they fully believe can and will contribute. That's the track record. If they're going after these guys, they believe a lot of them are going to contribute. If they believed they had ready-made talent to step into the offensive end, they wouldn't be adding as many guys, because we've seen that be the case in the past.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you are saying things in a way that to me show you never played for maryland. not everything is black and white. i'll say again, they'll sort it out between now and february and beyond. without knowing anything, i'd guess some guys that weren't on your list from this year or in the transfer haul will be on the field.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

No one on this board played for Maryland. Who cares.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:10 pm No one on this board played for Maryland. Who cares.
i'm trying to tell you how it actually works. or... go with your small sample size and label your players and recruits. your call.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Oh okay cause you know how everything works cause you played for Maryland obviously. I apologize for questioning the all-knowing immense knowledge of decorated terp legend wgdsr
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:20 pm Oh okay cause you know how everything works cause you played for Maryland obviously. I apologize for questioning the all-knowing immense knowledge of decorated terp legend wgdsr
yeah, just take it as not everyone is bowing to your all-knowing perspective as you are throwing terps under the bus.

my first reply was an attempt to describe the not-so-crazy scenario that actually transpires. in reply, you threw out numbers and calculations to justify your stuff. maryland isn't 100% sure they have all their guys, in all likelihood. so it'll flesh out. doesn't mean their guys can't do it, or aren't good players. what i do know is you don't know either.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Yes, I used evidence and stats to justify my opinion. Which is what you should do. Or you could just yell that people weren't a player so they have no clue what's happening in an attempt to engage in a pissing contest. Take care.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:48 pm Yes, I used evidence and stats to justify my opinion. Which is what you should do. Or you could just yell that people weren't a player so they have no clue what's happening in an attempt to engage in a pissing contest. Take care.
my guy, what i said was there will be a competition for spots. this was in response to you saying that the terps' young guys can't play. repeatedly. pretend i'm the bad guy instead of walking it back a little. great move.
Lax232530

Post by Lax232530 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:54 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:48 pm Yes, I used evidence and stats to justify my opinion. Which is what you should do. Or you could just yell that people weren't a player so they have no clue what's happening in an attempt to engage in a pissing contest. Take care.
my guy, what i said was there will be a competition for spots. this was in response to you saying that the terps' young guys can't play. repeatedly. pretend i'm the bad guy instead of walking it back a little. great move.
First time poster going back to the lax power days but some of you guys are out of control. WGDSR decides since someone on here didn’t play for Maryland they can’t post their thought out opinion then plays victim after like he didn’t engage trying to get a reaction. Where did you play to put other people down? This is suppose to be a page for genuine lacrosse convos in a sport that needs more of it and somehow you guys turn it into an ego feast. Grow up

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”