UNC 2025

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxguy95

Re: UNC 2025

Post by laxguy95 »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:09 pm
2004wrongisland wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:20 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:02 am
laxguy95 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:41 pm They just created a job listing for a new assistant coach position, so I guess they have the money to fund that for now at least
Is someone leaving? They have 3 assistant coaches now and isn't that the limit? Job is listed as entry level with minimum 1 year experience
Their biggest issue going into next year is the youth and relative inexperience of their assistant coaches. And they are seeking an assistant coach with perhaps only one year of experience?? If they want to return to being in the National Championship they should be searching for an offensive coach with at least a decade of experience. That would be the best choice for a team that will have multiple returning players and multiple high level recruits scrapping for playing time ( with an over abundance of attackers) , 3 sisters and a coach’s daughter. These issues are best handled by a veteran coach.
Ideally yes a great idea. However I don’t see levy gelling with a veteran Asst coach . Last one was Dowd and that didn’t work out too well.
What happened there?
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

laxguy95 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:41 pm They just created a job listing for a new assistant coach position, so I guess they have the money to fund that for now at least
Is someone leaving? They have 3 assistant coaches now and isn't that the limit? Job is listed as entry level with minimum 1 year experience
Their biggest issue going into next year is the youth and relative inexperience of their assistant coaches. And they are seeking an assistant coach with perhaps only one year of experience?? If they want to return to being in the National Championship they should be searching for an offensive coach with at least a decade of experience. That would be the best choice for a team that will have multiple returning players and multiple high level recruits scrapping for playing time ( with an over abundance of attackers) , 3 sisters and a coach’s daughter. These issues are best handled by a veteran coach.
Ideally yes a great idea. However I don’t see levy gelling with a veteran Asst coach . Last one was Dowd and that didn’t work out too well.
It worked out pretty well for Brown. Under Dowd they went from 10.9 to 16.3 goals per game , an increase of almost 50%. Meanwhile, in their last two NCAA tournament losses UNC has scored 4 goals and 8 goals an abysmal average of 6 goals per game.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

laxguy95 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:11 pm
What happened there?
I think personality clash/power struggle. Based on recent hirings it appears Levy would rather hire inexperienced Asst coaches that she can control. Just my opinion .
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

I would guess Cordingly is being replaced as the 3rd assistant. I'm sure position will be filled by young inexperienced coach, which is typical on almost every staff with 3 assistants.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:54 am
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:18 pm
LiveLaxLove wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:34 pm
ACClaxfan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:17 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:27 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:23 pm I wonder how this year could affect our recruiting for the 2026 class. We unanimously have been the best recruiting team for the past 3 years with 17 total 5-stars, 4 total 4-stars and 2 unranked. I hope that with this tremendous recruiting the staff does, we are able to stack the roster with more good recruits that’ll help bring home national championship #4. I hope the HS Class of 2026 looks at the recent years of success rather than this year.
Unc is a great school with a great lacrosse tradition. They have been a perennial final 4 team and acc champ. But BC is clearly top dog program in the ACC at this point in terms of momentum and ncaa tournament success. Cuse embarassed them. And uva and notre dame beat them. That combination hasn’t happened in a decade.

My guess is that unc will get a strong class…but not the same embarrassment of riches as in years past. Finishing ranked out of the top 15 is a real blow to the program. It’s been forever since that’s happened to unc, and this is now two years in a row where unc hasn’t been a real contender to win it all….
That matters to top recruits and to parents
They will have more talent on the field next year than they had this year assuming everyone is healthy….but the fact that their only championship of the past 7 years came from what is probably the best women’s lacrosse team ever doesnt help and will start to fade in memory for recruits. The last time unc won a national championship, the class of 2026 was in 8th grade.

Will be interesting to see…
There are too many other serious options for top recruits to consider who have done more recently…
Please , UNC will still have one of the top if not the top recruiting classes year after year. " Too many other options to consider" , which schools have the previous success , with possibly the nicest lacrosse stadium , excellent weather , ability to get players in who on their own had little chance to get in , great sports culture, awesome campus and nice town etc etc. The school sells itself to the recruits and parents of recruits. The only thing I think may be a negative for the next recruiting class may be having to compete with the Levy kid and the sister act as many of the top players want to have the red carpet rolled out .
UNC may not have a program for much longer. Their athletic director is on the ropes for his job right now because he's running a deficit, and the guy has had 21 National Championships under his belt. What men's and women's sports cost the most (large team, very little revenue) and are easiest to cut? I'd say men's and women's lacrosse is near the top of the list, right there with field hockey.
Why bother to post such a speculative and doom and gloom post? You—along with everyone else—have no clue what will happen to college athletics over the next 3-5 years.

Let’s deal with it when it happens. Why weigh in on it now when the boards of trustees for these schools don’t even know what they’re going to do??
Why weigh in now?
Because there's time to impact what's coming. If we're completely reactive, it truly might be doom and gloom.

Unless there is a division 1 AD posting in this board, head of athletic conference or school trustee, “we” have zero impact at all.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:39 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:23 pm I wonder how this year could affect our recruiting for the 2026 class. We unanimously have been the best recruiting team for the past 3 years with 17 total 5-stars, 4 total 4-stars and 2 unranked. I hope that with this tremendous recruiting the staff does, we are able to stack the roster with more good recruits that’ll help bring home national championship #4. I hope the HS Class of 2026 looks at the recent years of success rather than this year.
Unc is a great school with a great lacrosse tradition. They have been a perennial final 4 team and acc champ. But BC is clearly top dog program in the ACC at this point in terms of momentum and ncaa tournament success. Cuse embarassed them. And uva and notre dame beat them. That combination hasn’t happened in a decade.

My guess is that unc will get a strong class…but not the same embarrassment of riches as in years past. Finishing ranked out of the top 15 is a real blow to the program. It’s been forever since that’s happened to unc, and this is now two years in a row where unc hasn’t been a real contender to win it all….
They will have more talent on the field next year than they had this year assuming everyone is healthy….but the fact that their only championship of the past 7 years came from what is probably the best women’s lacrosse team ever doesnt help and will start to fade in memory for recruits. The last time unc won a national championship, the class of 2026 was in 8th grade.

There are too many other serious options for top recruits to consider who have done more recently…
Please , UNC will still have one of the top if not the top recruiting classes year after year. " Too many other options to consider" , which schools have the previous success , with possibly the nicest lacrosse stadium , excellent weather , ability to get players in who on their own had little chance to get in , great sports culture, awesome campus and nice town etc etc. The school sells itself to the recruits and parents of recruits. The only thing I think may be a negative for the next recruiting class may be having to compete with the Levy kid and the sister act as many of the top players want to have the red carpet rolled out .
UNC may not have a program for much longer. Their athletic director is on the ropes for his job right now because he's running a deficit, and the guy has had 21 National Championships under his belt. What men's and women's sports cost the most (large team, very little revenue) and are easiest to cut? I'd say men's and women's lacrosse is near the top of the list, right there with field hockey.
Why bother to post such a speculative and doom and gloom post? You—along with everyone else—have no clue what will happen to college athletics over the next 3-5 years.

Let’s deal with it when it happens. Why weigh in on it now when the boards of trustees for these schools don’t even know what they’re going to do??
Why weigh in now?
Because there's time to impact what's coming. If we're completely reactive, it truly might be doom and gloom.

Unless there is a division 1 AD posting in this board, head of athletic conference or school trustee, “we” have zero impact at all.
"we" have lots of relationships with coaches, athletic leadership personnel, etc. If "we" start asking the questions, "we" might be able to initiate saving the sport.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:10 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:39 am

Why weigh in now?

"we" have lots of relationships with coaches, athletic leadership personnel, etc. If "we" start asking the questions, "we" might be able to initiate saving the sport.
Coaches? Assistant assistant ads? These people will find out what is going to happen when they are told by the people who actually make decisions. Color me skeptical of the influence of the group of lax fanatics on this forum to influence how the ncaa sports landscape will look post settlement and conference realignment.

In the meantime, you of course are feee to post doom and gloom…and I should be mature enough to just skip your post!
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Good addition! Excited to see this offense
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Phil Barnes is everywhere! :lol:
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Excited to watch this team next year. BC will be unanimous #1 but I think we could beat them during the season and top the rankings. Already 3 transfer additions, unanimous #1 recruiting class, great players returning from injury. I wouldn’t want to face this team’s offense if I were another team in the ACC. But, defense. Not so much! But we will improve greatly with Levy and Walker-Welch
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Updated roster with speculations/confirmed transfers

Attack:
Tessa Calabria: Freshman (#20 ranked recruit: 5-star)
Chloe Humphrey: R-Freshman
Eva Ingrilli: Sophomore
Marissa White: R-Sophomore
Kiley Mottice: Junior
Caroline Godine: Junior
Ashley Humphrey: R-Senior
Reilly Casey: R-Senior (Not confirmed if she is returning for her fifth year)
Sarah Gresham JR (VT > UNC) Confirmed
Olivia Vergano 5th (VT > UNC) Not confirmed

Midfield:
Eliza Osborn: Freshman (#1 ranked recruit: 5-star)
Kate Levy: Freshman (#4 ranked recruit: 5-star)
Charlotte Corkins (#10 ranked recruit: 5-star)
Haley Carver: Freshman
Kaleigh Harden: R-Sophomore
Grace Ann Leonard: Sophomore
Avery Roberts: Sophomore
Julia O’Connor: Sophomore
Ella Cabrera: Junior
Darcy Felter: Junior
Sophie Student: R-Senior
Amelia Sheehan: R-Senior (not confirmed if she is returning for a 5th)
Nicole Humphrey: R-5th year (UNC graduate > USC missed season > returning to UNC)
Julia Ford: 5th - Brown > UNC (Not confirmed)
Alice Ripper: 5th - England > UNC (Confirmed)

Defense:
Paige Kelly: Sophomore
Molly Longfield: Junior
Ellie Traggio: Junior
Brooklyn Walker-Welch: R-Senior
Adair Martin: Senior
Mckenna Harden: Senior
Sam Forrest: Senior

Goalies:
Lexi Zenk (16 ranked recruit- 5-star recruit) Freshman
Betty Nelson: Sophomore
Lucy Catherine Olmert: Senior
Alecia Nicholas: Senior
Stella Harrison: R-Senior (not confirmed if returning)
laxguy95

Post by laxguy95 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:47 pm Updated roster with speculations/confirmed transfers

Attack:

Midfield:
Nicole Humphrey: R-5th year (UNC graduate > USC missed season > returning to UNC)

Defense:

Goalies:
No McKenna Harden, Transfer portal
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Forgot to remove her
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:47 pm Updated roster with speculations/confirmed transfers

Attack:

Midfield:

Defense:

Goalies:
They have 10 attackers and 15 middies, 25 total. How many can get quality playing time? 5 maybe 6 attackers? The more attackers you play the more you dilute the playing time of the top 3 ( Humphrey, Humphrey and White if she’s healthy ? ) How many middies do you play? Do you run an extra attacker or two at offensive middie? If you run two attackers at middie, how many other middies are you going to be able to play regularly ? 3 or 4? There’s going to be a lot of unhappy players and parents next spring.

And wait to the following year when 7 freshman middies arrive on campus.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:02 pm

Attack:

Midfield:

Defense:

Goalies:
They have 10 attackers and 15 middies, 25 total. How many can get quality playing time? 5 maybe 6 attackers? The more attackers you play the more you dilute the playing time of the top 3 ( Humphrey, Humphrey and White if she’s healthy ? ) How many middies do you play? Do you run an extra attacker or two at offensive middie? If you run two attackers at middie, how many other middies are you going to be able to play regularly ? 3 or 4? There’s going to be a lot of unhappy players and parents next spring.

And wait to the following year when 7 freshman middies arrive on campus.
But, Levy will also convert players into primary defenders. Why would Harden transfer when UNC so far isn’t getting any primary defenders from recruiting or transfer portal. You have 6 defenders for next year, and 3 barely got time in a year where UNC’s defense sucked.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

In a must win game, who are your projected 'starters'--12 + draw specialist?
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:35 pm In a must win game, who are your projected 'starters'--12 + draw specialist?
For me right now it would be- (until we have better primary defenders)

Draw- Sarah Gresham

Attack:
Chloe Humphrey
Ashley Humphrey
Marissa White
Eva Ingrilli

Midfield:
Kaleigh Harden
Nicole Humphrey
Eliza Ozburn

Defense:
Kate Levy
Sam Forest
Brooklyn Walker-Welch
Ellie Traggio

GK:
Lexi Zenk
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Well done. This is a formidable group to be sure.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

I think Charlotte Corkins also sees some time on D as a freshman. Her speed will help the transition game.

I can’t see Zenk starting. Nelson was a more highly ranked recruit and she struggled as a freshman. I see Nelson coming back a different player and her being a key to how high the ceiling is for UNC. I watched Zenk a lot over the last couple of years and often she was outplayed by the other goalie on her club team who is going to Hopkins.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”