Athletes Unlimited Summer ‘24

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Athletes Unlimited Summer ‘24

Post by Madlax59 »

Hearing AU scrambling to sign players as some expected to sign are not . AU very rigid in how it runs league . Having players stay 4/5 weeks in a hotel in Maryland, points system, and physicality maybe a turn off for some . Clearly they have a few marquee players but a lot of very good players are not playing and haven’t played - after being top draft picks in past. Interesting to see who ultimately plays among those drafted and who gets added .
Relax77

Re: Athletes Unlimited Summer ‘24

Post by Relax77 »

I along with my kids lost interest the season before last. Couldn’t tell you if they watched one game. I wonder how the ratings were.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I went to a game last season and plan to go again this year. I don't really find the format very interesting with the points system and the players switching teams. The downside is you don't have a college brand or a city to root for, just individuals.

However, it was a nice night out, in an easy access location for a low cost. I definitively recommend going, get to see really good players up close on a nice summer night, eat dinner from a food truck :D .
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:21 pm I went to a game last season and plan to go again this year. I don't really find the format very interesting with the points system and the players switching teams. The downside is you don't have a college brand or a city to root for, just individuals.

However, it was a nice night out, in an easy access location for a low cost. I definitively recommend going, get to see really good players up close on a nice summer night, eat dinner from a food truck :D .
I went two years ago. Other than the brutal heat (over 90) it was such a fun time. My daughter loved it and getting to meet the players was very exciting for her. Unfortunately she is now in the Relax77 camp. She just wasn't interested in it anymore.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

AU softball is moving to a more traditional format in 2025, I hope lacrosse follows suit.

Also — who is signing this year?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

timber18888 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:27 pm AU softball is moving to a more traditional format in 2025, I hope lacrosse follows suit.

Also — who is signing this year?
They can keep adding and finalising roster up to about 2 weeks before it starts .
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:21 pm I went to a game last season and plan to go again this year. I don't really find the format very interesting with the points system and the players switching teams. The downside is you don't have a college brand or a city to root for, just individuals.

I remember something from my college and post college years where good players got together during the summer, and threw sticks down to see who played with whom on that particular evening. It was called summer league. How and why the AU decided to basically re-create summer league for the women is beyond me. No chemistry. No continuity. Great players doing their thing….
Fun to watch but hard to be a real fan in my opinion.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not at all hard for me to be a fan of it, very much looking forward to the upcoming competition.
These are fantastic lacrosse players, the skill level is off the charts and it's a nice filler in the long
offseason of wlax. Oh, and no green cards either.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:14 am Not at all hard for me to be a fan of it, very much looking forward to the upcoming competition.
These are fantastic lacrosse players, the skill level is off the charts and it's a nice filler in the long
offseason of wlax. Oh, and no green cards either.
Interesting both cuse studs decided not to play . In fact are there any cuse players playing ?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, at some point real life is going to take over.
Really no money in it, big commitment, rough on
the body, and no future in it. Glad that there are
enough players who can and do play though.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

So dumb that your cant have a real 9-5 job and play. I see no future for AU womens lax. Im hearing that lots of kids opted out.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:52 am So dumb that your cant have a real 9-5 job and play. I see no future for AU womens lax. Im hearing that lots of kids opted out.
Grow the game. But only in Maryland at the US Lax Stadium.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think I make this comment every year. I like that US Lacrosse gets the rental income, but it would be better if they moved this event around to different parts of the country. Maybe Syracuse area? Not as hot as Maryland in the summer. Or the Island? My guess is that only people local to the venue go to these games (excepting family) so why not have it in the hottest of hotbeds where there are the most potential fans?

Maybe then we could get rid of that insufferable Joe Banananana. If he says (he will) “where and when the ball goes out of bounds,” I will throw a brick through my TV. For God’s sake, please delete the “where” from your lexicon, Joe. Duplicative. Unnecessary. And to me, very annoying.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I've made this prediction before and will make it again.

PLL will buy this league within 2 years. Their PE owners are active investors in women's sports. If done right, Women's PLL would be bigger than men's.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:00 am I've made this prediction before and will make it again.

PLL will buy this league within 2 years. Their PE owners are active investors in women's sports. If done right, Women's PLL would be bigger than men's.
Really don’t think the PLL would need to buy the women’s AAU. All they need to do is provide a better opportunity and the players will follow.

Here is one of my concerns:
Will the league have enough quality players to field enough teams?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I would think no, not by a long shot, which is highly likely the reason, IMO, AU is run the way it is in the same players
making up different teams week to week.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:00 am I've made this prediction before and will make it again.

Do you think they would tour with the men?
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

Why do you think this hypothetical women's PLL would be more popular than the men's? Men's college lacrosse is considerably more popular than women's lacrosse and that gap would probably be worse in the pros.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:06 am Well, at some point real life is going to take over.
Really no money in it, big commitment, rough on
the body, and no future in it. Glad that there are
enough players who can and do play though.
Would playing AU be a benefit to postgrad players looking to stick to the sport for a chance at the LA Games/2026 Worlds?
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Does anyone know some of the key players who won’t be playing this season?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”