2024 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
lilax

Re: 2024 New York State Tournaments

Post by lilax »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:06 pm
WhatIPostLike wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:37 pm I think the A,B,C games are toss ups and will be 1-2 goal games in either direction. I'd give slight edge to Farmingdale, SS, and JD.

For CSH Vs Marcellus, I have a feeling that CSH wins by a comfortable margin - say 4-5 goals. I have not seen Marcellus play and their record is impressive but not a lot of close games on their resume. I think CSH's is more battle tested this season and it will pay off for them this Saturday.

Regardless of the results, I'm excited for a great day of lacrosse Saturday.
When was the last time, if ever, Long Island teams went 4-0 against Westchester squads? Looking at the scores, all the games must have been terrific.

Question: Why is a catholic school playing a public school in the A group?
LI swept Section 1/2 in 2022 and 2023.

Schools like McQuaid, Aquinas and Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse) are allowed to compete in the NYS championship because there are no other Catholic schools in the section.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

lilax wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:14 pm
WhatIPostLike wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:37 pm I think the A,B,C games are toss ups and will be 1-2 goal games in either direction. I'd give slight edge to Farmingdale, SS, and JD.

For CSH Vs Marcellus, I have a feeling that CSH wins by a comfortable margin - say 4-5 goals. I have not seen Marcellus play and their record is impressive but not a lot of close games on their resume. I think CSH's is more battle tested this season and it will pay off for them this Saturday.

When was the last time, if ever, Long Island teams went 4-0 against Westchester squads? Looking at the scores, all the games must have been terrific.

Schools like McQuaid, Aquinas and Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse) are allowed to compete in the NYS championship because there are no other Catholic schools in the section.
I suppose any school can apply for membership in its geographic section, but CHSAA schools choose to be members of the CHSAA rather than try to be part of NYSPHSAA. There are private schools in Sections 8 and 11 after all (Friends Academy and Smithtown Christian).
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:18 pm

I suppose any school can apply for membership in its geographic section, but CHSAA schools choose to be members of the CHSAA rather than try to be part of NYSPHSAA. There are private schools in Sections 8 and 11 after all (Friends Academy and Smithtown Christian).
There are also Private/catholic schools in Sections I, II, III, IV, V and IX.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:24 pm

One of the only sections that does not have a Catholic in NYSPHAA is Section 8, due to the presence of Chaminade.

Joe
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I believe their attendance put them in Class A in Sec.V. Normally no one would notice because the Black Knights finally have some talented lacrosse players. That has been a long time in the making. Aquinas also plays in Class D I believe. They traditionally are a power house in football.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:57 pm

One of the only sections that does not have a Catholic in NYSPHAA is Section 8, due to the presence of Chaminade.

Joe
It was not too long ago that CHSAA sued NYSPHSAA to be included in the state tournament and lost. Cannot recall the rationale the court used to decide the case.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:15 pm

Joe
It was not too long ago that CHSAA sued NYSPHSAA to be included in the state tournament and lost. Cannot recall the rationale the court used to decide the case.
Interesting, I wonder if Chaminade would be in "A" or "B" if they played in States. Would be pretty interesting if it was "B" with GC and Manhasset!

Joe
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:41 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:15 pm

Joe
Interesting, I wonder if Chaminade would be in "A" or "B" if they played in States. Would be pretty interesting if it was "B" with GC and Manhasset!

Joe
1700 plus so A, they would win a lot of them
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

1700 boys translates to 3400 for a Public. Only a handful bigger in the State none of which are lax powerhouses.
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldlilaxer

Post by Oldlilaxer »

Not anymore. In the old days, Brentwood and Sachem.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Brentwood is listed as having 4,641. There are a few in Brooklyn and Queens.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Joe
There aren't Catholic schools in Section 11 either and I presume the same is true of 1 and 6 due to the presence of the CHSAA in those areas.

If I'm not mistaken the only private school in Section 11 is Smithtown Christian...which is NOT Catholic (no schools with Christian in their name are Catholic)
LI13

Post by LI13 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:21 pm Brentwood is listed as having 4,641. There are a few in Brooklyn and Queens.
Keep in mind that these numbers are three grade enrollments so you need to add another class to get the full picture. Brentwood 9-12 is over 6k. I believe it's #1 in NYSPHSAA. New Rochelle is close though. Don't have time to look it up right now but I will.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:27 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:21 pm Brentwood is listed as having 4,641. There are a few in Brooklyn and Queens.
Keep in mind that these numbers are three grade enrollments so you need to add another class to get the full picture. Brentwood 9-12 is over 6k. I believe it's #1 in NYSPHSAA. New Rochelle is close though. Don't have time to look it up right now but I will.
And of course NYC schools aren't members of NYSPHSAA but the PSAL
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

1) Brooklyn Tech 5,940 (My pops went there, it was all boys back then). I believe Chaminade, Holy Cross and McQuaid Jesuit are all boys. Am I missing any?

2) Brentwood High School 4,641

3) Francis Lewis High School 4,265

4) Midwood High School 4,062

5) Fort Hamilton High School 3,925

6) Tottenville High School 3,783

7) Edward R. Murrow High School 3,639

8) James Madison High School 3,630

9) Newburgh Free Academy 3,430 (Why is this an "Academy", it's a public school)

10) Forest Hills High School 3,429

Joe
LI13

Post by LI13 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:06 pm
1) Brooklyn Tech 5,940 (My pops went there, it was all boys back then). I believe Chaminade, Holy Cross and McQuaid Jesuit are all boys. Am I missing any?

2) Brentwood High School 4,641

3) Francis Lewis High School 4,265

4) Midwood High School 4,062

5) Fort Hamilton High School 3,925

6) Tottenville High School 3,783

7) Edward R. Murrow High School 3,639

8) James Madison High School 3,630

9) Newburgh Free Academy 3,430 (Why is this an "Academy", it's a public school)

10) Forest Hills High School 3,429

Joe
Only 2 of these schools are NYSPHSAA members (Brentwood and Newburgh Free Academy). The others are PSAL.

Regis is also all boys
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

It comes down to the fact that there aren't enough other Catholic schools in their areas to form a seperate league. Buffalo area Catholics are also not part of the NYSPHAA because they (barely) have enough in that area to form a separate league (they still have to travel all over to fill out their schedules though).

Also these schools are small compared to the St. Anthony's and Chaminades of the world so when they play Class A (or Class AA in other sports) they are usually pretty even.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Largest High Schools in New York State outside of New York City 9-12

Brentwood HIgh School - 4,641

Newburgh Free Academy - 3,433

New Rochelle HIgh School - 3,076

Shenendehowa High School - 3,036

William Floyd High School - 3,013

Longwood High School - 2,977

Schenectady High School - 2,743

North Rockland High School - 2,867

Albany High School - 2,676

Thomas R. Proctor High School (Utica) - 2,675

Central Islip High School - 2,576

Middletown High School - 2,547

Patchogue-Medford High School - 2,443

Monroe-Woodbury High School - 2,353

Cicero-North Syracuse High School (10-12 school. Divided by 3 and added to school enrollment) - 2352

Syosset HIgh School - 2,266

Freeport High School - 2,264

White Plains High School - 2,220

Niagara Falls High School - 2,139

Liverpool High School - 2,124

Sachem East HIgh School - 2,082

Shaker High School - 2,018

Ward Melville HIgh School - (10-12 school. Divided by 3 and added to school enrollment) - 2,009

Riverhead HIgh School - 2,001

Walt Whitman High School - 1,991

Saratoga Springs High School - 1,947

Massapequa High School - (10-12 school. Divided by 3 and added to school enrollment) - 1,937

Sachem North High School - 1,923
LI13

Post by LI13 »

The fact that if there were a TOC in New York this year the Class A rep would likely be the weakest of the four teams just cries out for a single class tournament. It would be absolutely epic and it's a shame it doesn't exist.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

LI13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:10 pm The fact that if there were a TOC in New York this year the Class A rep would likely be the weakest of the four teams just cries out for a single class tournament. It would be absolutely epic and it's a shame it doesn't exist.
Interesting idea. Lacrosse is unique in that way that there is not too much of a difference between higher and lower classes. I'd still like more teams to have the opportunity to win championships. Are you saying one tournament for everyone so only one champion or after everyone wins their respective A,B,C,D championships they play each other?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”