Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Navy 2019

Post by oldjayfan »

what about JB Clarke of Limestone? The new HC should have head coaching experience...assistant coaches become head coaches, obviously, but don't think Navy--with all the other factors associated with coaching at a SA--is a job for a first time HC.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Oldjay,
That makes zero sense- hire a head coach just because and he has no experience at a SA but a current 18 year assistant and 8 years at a SA shouldn’t be hired because he’s never been a HC. Not following that logic.
molo

Post by molo »

And Faust was a coach at a hs that was a national power, comparable to coaching lax in the MIAA, LI, CNY, etc. From what little I know about hs lax in California, St. Margaret is not a powerhouse.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:10 pm Oldjay,
That makes zero sense- hire a head coach just because and he has no experience at a SA but a current 18 year assistant and 8 years at a SA shouldn’t be hired because he’s never been a HC. Not following that logic.
Not at all what I said--my point is: Navy, I don't believe, will hire a first timer as HC.. It's hard enough to be a first time HC without the SA issues that other coaches do not have to contend with.
I would think RW would have to cut his teeth at a SHU or RoMo or Dartmouth, for example. After the flak Chet got in hiring a proven HC, one can only imagine if he hires one with no HC experience, unless the newbie has amazing success...
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

IMO, it is more important to hire a coach, whether HC or asst, with both SA experience and proven recruiting ability. 4 and 5 star recruits aren’t lining up to come like previous generations and newer civilian options like the Ivies and Big Ten are very much in play along with the ACC for the better players.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

Why is no one talking about Ryan Moran at UMBC?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 am
Not at all what I said--my point is: Navy, I don't believe, will hire a first timer as HC.. It's hard enough to be a first time HC without the SA issues that other coaches do not have to contend with.
I would think RW would have to cut his teeth at a SHU or RoMo or Dartmouth, for example. After the flak Chet got in hiring a proven HC, one can only imagine if he hires one with no HC experience, unless the newbie has amazing success...
So help us understand why someone like RW, with 8 years at SA (Navy to be exact) a handful of them as Associate Head Coach, would need to be an official HC elsewhere? He was the primary responsible party for recruiting, especially after JL left.

At this point, you are just trolling.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Only 15 years ago. Not that long.
Last edited by old salt on Mon May 27, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I was at that game.....so much fun. I remember deciding to go that very morning and had to sit in the upper deck it was so crowded. Those were the days.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 am
So help us understand why someone like RW, with 8 years at SA (Navy to be exact) a handful of them as Associate Head Coach, would need to be an official HC elsewhere? He was the primary responsible party for recruiting, especially after JL left.

At this point, you are just trolling.
Read the Navy threads for the last 8 years...oh, and RW has never been a HC. Just like on football teams, the backup QB is often the fans favorite...until he takes some snaps... You can disagree, but I still doubt a program like Navy will take a first time HC, just my opinion, I won't cry if you don't believe my theory!!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 pm I was at that game.....so much fun. I remember deciding to go that very morning and had to sit in the upper deck it was so crowded. Those were the days.
Was also at the game with oldest son. End zone lower level which was great since son was a goalie. Think I still have a sun burn from that game.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Big Navy hire was not going to be announced during championship weekend.

Still believe it's going to be Tillman
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

old salt wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:07 pm Only 15 years ago. Not that long.
What a great final !
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 pm Big Navy hire was not going to be announced during championship weekend.

Still believe it's going to be Tillman
Why would Tillman go where it is much tougher to win?

He’s running one of the most successful programs of the past decade. Why leave?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The last Navy appearance the goalie was injured and could not lift his arm above his shoulder.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

That goalie was incredible--what Navy is all about--forgot his name, but he wasn't a big dude, but had the heart of a champion. Every lax fan was pulling for Navy that day(unless you were wearing orange).
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 am That goalie was incredible--what Navy is all about--forgot his name, but he wasn't a big dude, but had the heart of a champion. Every lax fan was pulling for Navy that day(unless you were wearing orange).
Matt Russell
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Some people might like to hear this, and some may not. However, I believe that, the longer we wait for an announcement, the more likely Ryan Wellner will be the new man.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I am sure Wellner is an awesome dude. And his resume seems great. But I cannot possibly understand why you would move on from Sowell...to hire his top assistant. Unless you feel like Sowell individually was the problem and everything else about your program is in a solid state.
If you didn’t like the way Rick did things, then why hire his right hand man? Will be really be that different?

There are so many proven winners and head coaches that would be great in this position...JB Clarke at Limestone, Jon Torpey at High Point, Dan Chemotti at Richmond.

Toomy and Tillman aren’t leaving.
Nadelen is holding out for Hopkins. If he wanted the money, he would have moved to Michigan two years ago.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Watch out. Pew! Pew!

Laser beams approaching.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”