TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by 10stone5 »

Eamon McAnaney, the former Notre Dame defenseman who has called the last five NCAA championships, is leaving the Worldwide Leader to become a full-time anchor at SNY, a regional sports network owned by the New York Mets, C
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:19 am
Brownlax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:11 pm
Brownlax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:39 pm
Brownlax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:58 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:35 am You can promote the game by just presenting/reporting the game. These guys pump "memes", whether their own or prompted by espn IDK. It's not out of the ordinary: "up close and personal", or the NBA for years being (in)famous for focusing on stars/personalities over the sport. It's kind of understandable if you define growing the game as appealing to 10-14 year old boys.
I’m a fan of the Kavanaughs. But watching the game today - the way they mention their names non-stop is so annoying.

Quint’s most recent comment: “Be a Kavanaugh Today”
Rinse and Repeat: Quint with another “Play like a Kavanaugh Today”

And of course they bring it around to mention the 1 sister.
Had to do a few things for work so I had to step away. Just walked back in to yet another “Play Like a Kavanaugh” today!
when i turned it on, immediately got a "that bounce shot actually accelerated on the wet turf!!!" and i knew it might be a long day.
Physics 101 precludes acceleration...energy is lost not gained on impact. High school physics actually if that's even taught anymore...!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:13 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:35 am You can promote the game by just presenting/reporting the game. These guys pump "memes", whether their own or prompted by espn IDK. It's not out of the ordinary: "up close and personal", or the NBA for years being (in)famous for focusing on stars/personalities over the sport. It's kind of understandable if you define growing the game as appealing to 10-14 year old boys.
I’m a fan of the Kavanaughs. But watching the game today - the way they mention their names non-stop is so annoying.

Had to do a few things for work so I had to step away. Just walked back in to yet another “Play Like a Kavanaugh” today!
when i turned it on, immediately got a "that bounce shot actually accelerated on the wet turf!!!" and i knew it might be a long day.
Physics 101 precludes acceleration...energy is lost not gained on impact. High school physics actually if that's even taught anymore...!
Unbeknownst to many people not on ESPN's payroll, Notre Dame and the Kavanaughs bring enough energy to the games to transform the laws of physics (!!!).
viho

Post by viho »

HGK wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:03 pm Sadly it continues in the PLL coverage - “he was born to shoot the rock”. Carc commenting on a 2pt goal by Chanechuck.
I thought the 1st week of the PLL broadcasts were much tighter. The action is so fast that they don’t have time to wander off on their tangents.
random observer

Post by random observer »

henryben wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:00 pm I miss Eamon McAnaney doing college lacrosse broadcasts. He was terrific. Still remember his call of the DU v ND semi final in 2015…
Everyone waxes poetic about how great Eamon was. But at the time, he got just as much grief on laxpower as Anish/Quint/Carc get now. People thought he was too loud, a homer, and was too shticky: in particular people whined constantly about the "right down [insert local street]" and "that's why they call it execution" calls.

I always thought it was nonsense -- like you and many others on this board now, I thought he had a great voice for the booth and he brought an appropriate and palpable level of excitement to proceedings. But it speaks to a larger phenomenon I see, where people are extremely critical of seemingly everyone who is on the air, but then when they're gone people gain perspective and forget about how critical they were in the moment.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:58 am

Unbeknownst to many people not on ESPN's payroll, Notre Dame and the Kavanaughs bring enough energy to the games to transform the laws of physics (!!!).
Not saying it happened on that shot, but if a ball is spinning hard enough, when it hits the ground, some of that energy can be transmitted to forward velocity. Watch a professional tennis match in person.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:18 pm
FannOLax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:58 am

Not saying it happened on that shot, but if a ball is spinning hard enough, when it hits the ground, some of that energy can be transmitted to forward velocity. Watch a professional tennis match in person.
lacrosse shots and passes have backspin. always.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

So, in lacrosse, a bounce shot would always be slower after the bounce than before.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:36 pm So, in lacrosse, a bounce shot would always be slower after the bounce than before.
was my original point, yes. the contrary was the opener to me turning on the game.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If you really want your head to explode, tune into the Mitchell Pehlke podcast.

All of sudden, Carc is like freakin Tom Brokaw.

I am way too old for this. I don’t understand the world anymore.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:51 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:36 pm So, in lacrosse, a bounce shot would always be slower after the bounce than before.
was my original point, yes. the contrary was the opener to me turning on the game.
Of course a shot can move faster (forward) after bouncing. Its total energy can only decrease with hitting the ground but if it changes its angle of movement, more of the energy can be directed horizontally than vertically and it can accelerate towards the goal. If it’s the same horizontal momentum then a bounce shot will get there same time as a straight shot. But hitting the ground (because the ball has spin and the surface isn’t exactly smooth) can change the ratio of horizontal to vertical momentum and thus the horizontal speed while at the same time having less total energy. Basic physics. Bounce shots accelerate all of the time.
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

Anyone who has had to chase a ball down an asphalt street or the beach at low tide knows this. That dreaded 2nd bounce. Missed physics during my time at Cortland but playing goalie on that old field house floor also informs my understanding.
Now back to our regular scheduled Broadcast/Announcers/ Production discussion.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:18 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:51 pm
Of course a shot can move faster (forward) after bouncing. Its total energy can only decrease with hitting the ground but if it changes its angle of movement, more of the energy can be directed horizontally than vertically and it can accelerate towards the goal. If it’s the same horizontal momentum then a bounce shot will get there same time as a straight shot. But hitting the ground (because the ball has spin and the surface isn’t exactly smooth) can change the ratio of horizontal to vertical momentum and thus the horizontal speed while at the same time having less total energy. Basic physics. Bounce shots accelerate all of the time.
in theory... a wet turf can get a skip, and that's the only time i'd guess would even have that possibility. someone would have to do an actual experiment for me to sign on. what he's referencing is certainly the "surprise" speed that a bounce shot on wet turf has vs. a dry turf bounce... namely that the water dulls some friction (and reversal or decceleration of spin dynamics post-bounce) and can provide some of the forward kick angle you're talking about at the right trajectory, etc.. in quint's case, he saw a lot of shots, dry and wet turf. and the difference in the 2 in that experience can have someone come to conclusions based on the delta alone.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Lax904 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:32 am Anyone who has had to chase a ball down an asphalt street or the beach at low tide knows this. That dreaded 2nd bounce. Missed physics during my time at Cortland but playing goalie on that old field house floor also informs my understanding.
Now back to our regular scheduled Broadcast/Announcers/ Production discussion.
that 2nd bounce had forward spin.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

[/quote]
lacrosse shots and passes have backspin. always.
[/quote]

But not if you flick your wrist. :P
CU77

Post by CU77 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:18 am Of course a shot can move faster (forward) after bouncing. Its total energy can only decrease with hitting the ground but if it changes its angle of movement, more of the energy can be directed horizontally than vertically and it can accelerate towards the goal.
For a ball that's not spinning, conservation of linear momentum in the horizontal direction forbids this.

A spinning ball can get a horizontal "kick" from hitting the ground (converting some rotational kinetic energy to kinetic energy of forward motion), as already noted above.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:53 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:18 am Of course a shot can move faster (forward) after bouncing. Its total energy can only decrease with hitting the ground but if it changes its angle of movement, more of the energy can be directed horizontally than vertically and it can accelerate towards the goal.
For a ball that's not spinning, conservation of linear momentum in the horizontal direction forbids this.

A spinning ball can get a horizontal "kick" from hitting the ground (converting some rotational kinetic energy to kinetic energy of forward motion), as already noted above.
Right, but the ball is always spinning. It is essentially impossible to throw a ball with zero spin. The ball bounces, loses energy from the contact with the ground and friction, get accelerates horizontally because the spin has shot it forward rather than up, changing the angle it comes off at from the angle it came in on. Very well versed in the physics here.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

But the only way to get topspin is to shoot a worm-burner.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The bad takes continue in the PLL: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/4VvXg7CaMZ7ZtqAQ/

Comment section is funny:

~ "Love the broadcaster saying if that's me and I see that I lose it and crosscheck him in the head 😅 settle down hoss... it's lacrosse"
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:55 am The bad takes continue in the PLL: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/4VvXg7CaMZ7ZtqAQ/

Comment section is funny:

~ "Love the broadcaster saying if that's me and I see that I lose it and crosscheck him in the head 😅 settle down hoss... it's lacrosse"
I like the "all the lawyers' sons getting riled up" comment. Obviously not a lacrosse fan. They're financial managers' sons, pal. Get your facts straight.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”