2024 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
LI13

Re: 2024 New York State Tournaments

Post by LI13 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:25 pm
LI13 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:52 pm
Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:46 pm Gotta be real disappointed if you're Shen. This year ya beat Genny, ya beat Nisky, ya already beat Mamaroneck, ya beat Shaker, and today ya lay an egg. Credit to the Tigers for a stout defensive effort.
Yup. You gotta wonder if not now, when?
Shen school district has the perfect demographics for a lax powerhouse but they just can't do. it. It's a wealthy district obsessed with sports in general with over 9,000 kids in it. I guess for whatever reason lacrosse skipped over the Albany area. Only because Mike Vorgang at Niskayuna as an individual has the Section 2 Albany area ever been on the lacrosse map. At the end of the day it's possible that Shen will become a powerhouse. They have all the right ingredients just haven't found the right chef lol
Yep. The thing that stings about this year is that Shen was actually the best team in Section 2...and the A bracket was wide open.

No doubt if Shen gets its own Vorgang it could be a state power. Corning used to compete with the big boys even with half the school size it has now and an empty local schedule. It's all about coaching.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:15 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:16 pm
Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:07 pm
LI13 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:46 pm Vestal scores with 8 seconds left and wins 6-5.

Wow.
At one time there were a few WG posters on the old LP board and this one. They gotta be shaking their heads at the WG teams of the last 5-10 years. Guessing this is their first ever loss to Vestal and no doubt, it hurts.
This is what you get after you run your HOF coach (850 career wins) into retirement. Nobody should be surprised. For YEARS they never lost to Baldwinsville either :oops:
FWIW Messere was losing the magic at the end and constantly complaining about the kids. His last game was a 17-2 loss to WM in the state final, after which he said that his kids had quit weeks ago.
Then again, maybe he was right about THAT, too! May explain why the Cats have not shown up in a big game since then.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Kismet wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:47 am
LI13 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:46 pm Vestal scores with 8 seconds left and wins 6-5.

Wow.
At one time there were a few WG posters on the old LP board and this one. They gotta be shaking their heads at the WG teams of the last 5-10 years. Guessing this is their first ever loss to Vestal and no doubt, it hurts.
This is what you get after you run your HOF coach (850 career wins) into retirement. Nobody should be surprised. For YEARS they never lost to Baldwinsville either :oops:
FWIW Messere was losing the magic at the end and constantly complaining about the kids. His last game was a 17-2 loss to WM in the state final, after which he said that his kids had quit weeks ago.
Then again, maybe he was right about THAT, too! May explain why the Cats have not shown up in a big game since then.
Kids are kids everywhere. Camillus doesn't have worse kids than other towns. Messere gave up.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:32 am

Wow.
Kids are kids everywhere. Camillus doesn't have worse kids than other towns. Messere gave up.
Now I'm not saying that was unwarranted. The parents seemed like they were getting really annoying. But then again a lot of towns have annoying parents. I think his patience had worn thin and everyone was used to winning a lot more.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Wow.
His team made the state championship in 3 of his last 5 years, winning in 2015. I wouldn’t call that giving up.

I was told he got frustrated because the WG kids were putting club lacrosse before HS. For the longest period the WG kids were playing year round with Messere and avoiding club.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

lilax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:41 am

Wow.
His team made the state championship in 3 of his last 5 years, winning in 2015. I wouldn’t call that giving up.

I was told he got frustrated because the WG kids were putting club lacrosse before HS. For the longest period the WG kids were playing year round with Messere and avoiding club.
They were still winning, which is what made it look that much worse.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Doesn’t sound like it was so much about giving up as it was old school coach vs new age kids. As a coach you did have to adapt to connect with the way kids evolved. When I was young I was told you don’t question the coach or talk back, so if there was any trouble it was pretty much on you not him. And parents didn’t question motives or tactics. That’s no longer the case, and many coaches struggled with that change

Btw, with NIL invading college (and who knows about HS down the road), coaches will have to adapt yet again to managing expectations of the “professional” athlete and their parents
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:56 am
lilax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:41 am

Wow.

They were still winning, which is what made it look that much worse.
sigh. messere had been there a very long time, obviously. he had been used to having culture set, and of course had to evolve some over the years. i can promise expectations had been set at the beginning of every year, for anyone involved in the program. and also know it had nothing to do with club. winning was a byproduct, not a driver. when his expectations for handling... everything... clashed too much with others' willingness to go along, that was that. and it wasn't one year in the making.

it could've continued to work, but it didn't. and yes, there is still lacrosse culture left and lots of goals in backyards in section 3. and camillus. new coach is off to a decent start.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:10 am Doesn’t sound like it was so much about giving up as it was old school coach vs new age kids. As a coach you did have to adapt to connect with the way kids evolved. When I was young I was told you don’t question the coach or talk back, so if there was any trouble it was pretty much on you not him. And parents didn’t question motives or tactics. That’s no longer the case, and many coaches struggled with that change

Btw, with NIL invading college (and who knows about HS down the road), coaches will have to adapt yet again to managing expectations of the “professional” athlete and their parents
Yes. When I say he gave up, I mean he no longer wanted to manage today's kids. But to blame the kids is disingenuous as other coaches still succeed in producing high quality, cohesive teams just as he did 20 years ago.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Nest221 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:57 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:05 pm
Nigel wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:49 pm West Genesee WIldcats 16-7 winner and will be S3 Class B rep. They will get S4 Vestal Bears 17-0 next.
Vestal had a pretty empty schedule. Shouldn't be close.

Joe
Guess that’s why they play the games on the field
I am eating crow, great win for vestal. Happy that I am wrong!

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:12 am
kr522 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:10 am Doesn’t sound like it was so much about giving up as it was old school coach vs new age kids. As a coach you did have to adapt to connect with the way kids evolved. When I was young I was told you don’t question the coach or talk back, so if there was any trouble it was pretty much on you not him. And parents didn’t question motives or tactics. That’s no longer the case, and many coaches struggled with that change

Yes. When I say he gave up, I mean he no longer wanted to manage today's kids. But to blame the kids is disingenuous as other coaches still succeed in producing high quality, cohesive teams just as he did 20 years ago.
Agree

Looking ahead, it feels like all the LI vs Section 1 games are going to be tight. No idea about upstate, except I’m sticking with Marcellus. Assume JD is a strong favorite too
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:33 am

Agree

Looking ahead, it feels like all the LI vs Section 1 games are going to be tight. No idea about upstate, except I’m sticking with Marcellus. Assume JD is a strong favorite too
I like Farmingdale close and low scoring over Mamo like 6-4.

South Side 10-5 over Yorktown

BBP 12-8 over Rye

Pleasantville 6-3 over CSH
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Although I picked against CSH last year so they'll probably prove me wrong again.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:59 am Although I picked against CSH last year so they'll probably prove me wrong again.
I think Yorktown keeps it closer, but we’ll see. Hopefully CSH makes their run…..I don’t think they’ve lost a game ever once they get off LI. But I think this year will be tough for them even in D
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Agree

I'm hoping Marcellus and JD win too but don't think either is a "strong" favorite. Bayport looks really good and don't count out Rye either. 5 of their 7 losses were by 1 goal to good teams and they have some big wins on the resume as well.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:52 pm

Agree

I'm hoping Marcellus and JD win too but don't think either is a "strong" favorite. Bayport looks really good and don't count out Rye either. 5 of their 7 losses were by 1 goal to good teams and they have some big wins on the resume as well.
Yeah i meant strong favorite for upstate…..JD-BBP if it happens seems like it will be a great battle, as will Marcellus vs any downstate team. I’m remembering both teams last year being not quite great enough against very strong Section VIII teams, and returning a lot of starters. So they’re experienced and hungry, that should help them
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Just how good is Liverpool in Class A to have gotten past Baldwinsville, the two time state champs. I can’t recall Liverpool getting this far since their stunning OT defeat of West Genesee in the section final in 2003.

I’ll be heading to Cortland today and hoping the T-storms come late.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:40 am Just how good is Liverpool in Class A to have gotten past Baldwinsville, the two time state champs. I can’t recall Liverpool getting this far since their stunning OT defeat of West Genesee in the section final in 2003.

Baldwinsville doesn't appear to be what they were the past two years. Liverpool was a .500 team that wouldn't be favored against any of the other Section 3 champs. That's not to say they won't beat McQuaid, but I would guess McQuaid is the favorite.

An aside I think you're referring to 2001 when Genny lost in the sectional final. That's the year my Northport Tigers won states and Genny's loss was the reason we faced OP instead for the title.
ardilla secreta

At Cortland
Marcellus 6 Aquinas 3, H
ardilla secreta

LI13 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:49 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:40 am Just how good is Liverpool in Class A to have gotten past Baldwinsville, the two time state champs. I can’t recall Liverpool getting this far since their stunning OT defeat of West Genesee in the section final in 2003.

Baldwinsville doesn't appear to be what they were the past two years. Liverpool was a .500 team that wouldn't be favored against any of the other Section 3 champs. That's not to say they won't beat McQuaid, but I would guess McQuaid is the favorite.

An aside I think you're referring to 2001 when Genny lost in the sectional final. That's the year my Northport Tigers won states and Genny's loss was the reason we faced OP instead for the title.
I have the program and T-shirt at home. I’ll confirm later

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”