masondixonlax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by masondixonlax »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:41 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:39 pm
coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:49 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:27 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:45 am
If anyone thinks Collison should just continue passing the ball to Bauer and setting picks for him … say so here. I think many here believe Collison has first team AA potential. Passing the ball to a teammate guarded by a long pole and setting picks for the teammate is not what a first team AA midfielder does.

Again, I’m not the only one who thinks the Hopkins O is not aggressive enough. QK tagged it “minimally invasive.” And let’s face it … despite the animosity towards Quint, he knows lacrosse better than anyone here.

DocBarrister
I think the Jays should run some version of a motion offense next year. If English comes back healthy, he's likely to be the primary initiator. He can also shoot the ball, which is critical if you want teams to slide to you. Ayers needs to work on his finishing to be more of a threat. Meanwhile, Chauvette can be hanging around looking for open shots.

Collison needs to evolve his game. He likes to back into the goal, but teams double him when he does this. So he's got to anticipate that, spin or pivot, and hit the open man. He's likely to be a focal point of defenses next year and he's got to move the ball when he gets doubled. Like a center in basketball, kick it back out for open shots when they collapse on you inside. Almost all great players can make assists when defenses try to double them.

Hackler from Yale looks to be a pretty good athletic middie with leadership skills. I could see a first line of English, Hackler and Collison next year. If Ayers can raise his game up offense could click potentially. I expect defenses to focus on Melendez and Collison so other players need to step up.
This is correct. I happen to think Collison is out of position at Midfield. He is a power dodger/short area dodger. Likes to get his body in between a defender to get his shot off. Not a guy that causes separation. He can be predictable coming from up top. When he dodges from up top and turns his body it invites the double. English is an English. All of them are good dodgers and smart lacrosse players. Not the biggest guys. Not blessed with a big shot, but really good inside of 10 yards (box player). Perfect initiator. English to Chauvette was deadly his junior year in HS, they are very familiar with each others game.
Collison would benefit developing a right hand. Then he will be the scariest player on Hopkins. Dude is huge and has a cannon but seemed like in playoffs defenses were focused on taking away his left and that alley shot he likes
Canadian , not a lot of them have a good off hand. John Grant JR still doesnt have an off-hand, but his BTB is as good as most off-hands.
True true. Just thought he was almost predictable that defenses became very stingy and take away his left
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

masondixonlax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:47 pm
If anyone thinks Collison should just continue passing the ball to Bauer and setting picks for him … say so here. I think many here believe Collison has first team AA potential. Passing the ball to a teammate guarded by a long pole and setting picks for the teammate is not what a first team AA midfielder does.

Again, I’m not the only one who thinks the Hopkins O is not aggressive enough. QK tagged it “minimally invasive.” And let’s face it … despite the animosity towards Quint, he knows lacrosse better than anyone here.

DocBarrister
I think the Jays should run some version of a motion offense next year. If English comes back healthy, he's likely to be the primary initiator. He can also shoot the ball, which is critical if you want teams to slide to you. Ayers needs to work on his finishing to be more of a threat. Meanwhile, Chauvette can be hanging around looking for open shots.

Collison needs to evolve his game. He likes to back into the goal, but teams double him when he does this. So he's got to anticipate that, spin or pivot, and hit the open man. He's likely to be a focal point of defenses next year and he's got to move the ball when he gets doubled. Like a center in basketball, kick it back out for open shots when they collapse on you inside. Almost all great players can make assists when defenses try to double them.

Hackler from Yale looks to be a pretty good athletic middie with leadership skills. I could see a first line of English, Hackler and Collison next year. If Ayers can raise his game up offense could click potentially. I expect defenses to focus on Melendez and Collison so other players need to step up.
This is correct. I happen to think Collison is out of position at Midfield. He is a power dodger/short area dodger. Likes to get his body in between a defender to get his shot off. Not a guy that causes separation. He can be predictable coming from up top. When he dodges from up top and turns his body it invites the double. English is an English. All of them are good dodgers and smart lacrosse players. Not the biggest guys. Not blessed with a big shot, but really good inside of 10 yards (box player). Perfect initiator. English to Chauvette was deadly his junior year in HS, they are very familiar with each others game.
Collison would benefit developing a right hand. Then he will be the scariest player on Hopkins. Dude is huge and has a cannon but seemed like in playoffs defenses were focused on taking away his left and that alley shot he likes
Canadian , not a lot of them have a good off hand. John Grant JR still doesnt have an off-hand, but his BTB is as good as most off-hands.
True true. Just thought he was almost predictable that defenses became very stingy and take away his left
Grant Jr didn't need a right hand at Delaware - he might have needed a right hand in the MLL but probably not, he definitely did not need a right hand in the pro box leagues.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Collison made a concerted effort to shoot with his right more this year — don't think he actually scored any with his right (that I can remember) but he's already recognized it would make him a lot more dangerous if defenses at least have to respect the possibility that he will roll back or split to his right if you overplay the left.

Marquis news is not surprising. Been dreading it for awhile but can't blame him. I'm not at practice everyday so not about to go apoplectic over personnel decisions like some here but let's just say I'm disappointed he didn't find a role. Really talented kid and wish him well.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:01 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:47 pm

DocBarrister

Grant Jr didn't need a right hand at Delaware - he might have needed a right hand in the MLL but probably not, he definitely did not need a right hand in the pro box leagues.
I don’t doubt that about grant . I was still talking about Collison
Rusty_chisel

Post by Rusty_chisel »

Doc

You need to stop. Peshko, Grimes, even Collison, are not dodgers. There is no need to slide to them. Asking them to dodge more would have resulted more turn overs than goals by a wide margin.

Would everyone here like to see middies that could dodge, of course. They did not have it this year. They were good at getting lost in the ball movement and have good hands once they get inside.

Each year, someone takes a position that is not reflective of the talent. Initially, it is more of a quick observation but when they get pushback, they not only refuse to back down but then start taking even more absurd positions. Looks like you are this years Sag A (sorry for the cheap shot Sag A, you have been much more rationale this year albeit quiet). Your position is what makes a good offense if you have the players, and is not what players they had.

Since you like to cherry pick a bad play that somehow worked, I am sure you are also convinced that David Tyree should have had a hall of fame career based on his facemask catch in the Super Bowl.

I am not saying this to beat up on you. I appreciate many of your posts, especially on the players that came before Larry Quinn, Brian Wood, Del, Morrill, etc. You are just arguing something that is just not supported by the skill set of this year's team.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:01 pm Marquis news is not surprising. Been dreading it for awhile but can't blame him. I'm not at practice everyday so not about to go apoplectic over personnel decisions like some here but let's just say I'm disappointed he didn't find a role. Really talented kid and wish him well.
Yeah it sucks to lose a talented player; I'd have thought next year would be full of opportunity for him here but if it isn't working in practice or there are other external factors it can be one of those things where even if he goes on to do great elsewhere that doesn't mean it would have happened here. The door is just further open for everyone else new and returning to find a spot on the offense now if he goes elsewhere.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BANG

https://x.com/TerenceFoy/status/1798069466624032846

Luke Staudt taking a quick jog down Charles Street to join the Jays. Goalie question answered. Tremendous pickup. Staff is crushing the portal this offseason.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Staudt's save % against Hopkins opponents the last two years as Loyola's starter:

Maryland - 59%, 73%
Rutgers - 40%, 58%
Navy - 55%, 56%, 45%, 72%
Towson - 64%, 58%
Georgetown - 52%, 14% (pulled after 6 goals, we don't need to talk about that)

Also, he's gone 57% and 67% against the Blue Jays the last two meetings.

If they were just going to bring in any old goalie it wouldn't be worth it. But this is a no brainer. When's the last time an experienced and battle tested 6'0''+ goalie transfer from Western New York worked out for us?
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:22 pm Staudt's save % against Hopkins opponents the last two years as Loyola's starter:

Maryland - 59%, 73%
Rutgers - 40%, 58%
Towson - 64%, 58%

If they were just going to bring in any old goalie it wouldn't be worth it. But this is a no brainer. When's the last time an experienced and battle tested 6'0''+ goalie transfer from Western New York worked out for us?

Great pickup by the Jays
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:22 pm Staudt's save % against Hopkins opponents the last two years as Loyola's starter:

Maryland - 59%, 73%
Rutgers - 40%, 58%
Towson - 64%, 58%

He has been a low 50% Goalie. That is similar to Ierlan, when he came in. Given the defense Hopkins has put together, you probably see a similar jump in save percentage from Stuadt.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:11 pm BANG

Luke Staudt taking a quick jog down Charles Street to join the Jays. Goalie question answered. Tremendous pickup. Staff is crushing the portal this offseason.
Huge get. This staff has been really good at addressing specific needs via the portal.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I'm ecstatic at the goalie transfer, but how will current goalies on the roster feel? Did any of them show promise on the bench?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:11 pm BANG

You guys are getting a great goalie who not only is meticulous about his craft but genuinely loves the game of lacrosse. He'll be extremely well liked in the locker room. Luke leaves with a lot of love from all the guys in green.

He more than likely will give Hopkins the best scouting report available given that he's been inside loyolas program for 4 years. he'll know every tendency, every rotation, every slide guy.

The game next year is going to be very very interesting for both teams.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Echo the sentiment on DocB - if anybody has an idea on how to stop it (ignoring only goes so far as if somebody quotes him -you will still see it) It almost makes me wish for storming Jen Baker's office and warming up the goalies. But I will warn the more "unseasoned" fanlax readers - it will not stop - I wish I could recreate the 2009/2010 + posts on laxpower where he insisted Hopkins had the talent to win it all (nothing could have been further from the truth- as 2009/2010 saw the two worst Hopkins playoff defeats in history to that point) but "aggressive dodging" will now interrupt your sleep.

Too bad about Marquis - that's an examp-le of where you wish you were a true insider - would have thought through his box experience he could have found a role as a middie until Melendez left and then right handed attack - oh well

Speaking of warming up the goalies - the news on Staudt is awesome in most ways - but as norcal pointed out - what does the rest of the goalie room think?- especially the Ohio State transfer and Verdi? You can imagine Andrew Cook is OK with it - but those two just saw another year pass by. No one said life is fair. At some point we have to try to create multi year stability. When Lamitie shows up in 2026 - it's possible Hopkins could have Four 4 star rated goalies on the roster.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:14 pm I'm ecstatic at the goalie transfer, but how will current goalies on the roster feel? Did any of them show promise on the bench?
PM brought in Ierlan, Patrick Moore and Galinas last year
Caraciola for 2023
Verbsfeld for 2022
Kirson for 2021

Webb has 2 games and 0 starts in 3 years. In 4 years together of PM/JK, Marcille is the only non transfer to start in goal (Kirson/Marcille, Kirson, Marcille/Verbsfeld, Ierlan, now Staudt). That's a track record for the current group and that's not the recruit, develop and play model Maryland uses. There were some stories about how in other college sports like football and basketball in the NIL/Portal world some coaches are now choosing to pluck developed players from other programs for 1-2 years rather than go through the traditional trial and error of letting a kid build through games.

The questions now are PM done with his portaling and who else takes the Koleton train out of homewood?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:57 pm Echo the sentiment on DocB - if anybody has an idea on how to stop it (ignoring only goes so far as if somebody quotes him -you will still see it) It almost makes me wish for storming Jen Baker's office and warming up the goalies. But I will warn the more "unseasoned" fanlax readers - it will not stop - I wish I could recreate the 2009/2010 + posts on laxpower where he insisted Hopkins had the talent to win it all (nothing could have been further from the truth- as 2009/2010 saw the two worst Hopkins playoff defeats in history to that point) but "aggressive dodging" will now interrupt your sleep.

Too bad about Marquis - that's an examp-le of where you wish you were a true insider - would have thought through his box experience he could have found a role as a middie until Melendez left and then right handed attack - oh well

Speaking of warming up the goalies - the news on Staudt is awesome in most ways - but as norcal pointed out - what does the rest of the goalie room think?- especially the Ohio State transfer and Verdi? You can imagine Andrew Cook is OK with it - but those two just saw another year pass by. No one said life is fair. At some point we have to try to create multi year stability. When Lamitie shows up in 2026 - it's possible Hopkins could have Four 4 star rated goalies on the roster.
Could have said the same thing last year about bringing in Ierlan — then that group ended up getting really close and the goalie room is tighter than ever. Coach BK has helped in that regard. Have to believe this was done as respectfully as possible and if he's what houndace suggests as a teammate then it won't be a problem. One of this staff's strengths appears to be creating and fostering a culture that can not only withstand but also thrive off this sort of thing. While Staudt is obviously the heavy favorite to start next year, he's still got to earn it.

I do think, after next year, they will hit pause on the goalie transfers and go with what they've got on the roster. There's talent there, especially once Lamitie comes in. But this makes sense for now — this team has championship aspirations and he makes them better.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:13 pm Could have said the same thing last year about bringing in Ierlan — then that group ended up getting really close and the goalie room is tighter than ever. Coach BK has helped in that regard. Have to believe this was done as respectfully as possible and if he's what houndace suggests as a teammate then it won't be a problem. One of this staff's strengths appears to be creating and fostering a culture that can not only withstand but also thrive off this sort of thing. While Staudt is obviously the heavy favorite to start next year, he's still got to earn it.
He's beyond the heavy favorite - he was an HM AA in 2023 - with close to a 56% save percentage - he had a 52% save percentage on a not so good team last year with a non Patriot schedule that includes Maryland/Hopkins/Georgetown/Towson and Duke - and of course the Patriot league is not filled with Little Sisters of the Poor as evidenced by our struggles with Navy/Lehigh (and Army was ranked #1 at one point). In addition - we lament the face-off percentage and say what could have been - what do you think Staudt might say about a .401 face-off success rate???? When Chayse came in - Galinas was also coming in and Verdi was a freshman - not a hard call. Now those two have toiled in the program for a year and probably don't see a bright path to playing time. I am sure Luke is a great teammate and they will support him but it has to be hard. Those two in particular have not played a single second so it's not like you can point to a game or plays and say.....
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Let me be clear - this is a HUGE get for the program for 2025 - it solidifies the biggest questionmark. I often saw him play and wish he was in Hopkins Blue. It just must be tough on the reast of the kids who want to play that position.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:27 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:13 pm Could have said the same thing last year about bringing in Ierlan — then that group ended up getting really close and the goalie room is tighter than ever. Coach BK has helped in that regard. Have to believe this was done as respectfully as possible and if he's what houndace suggests as a teammate then it won't be a problem. One of this staff's strengths appears to be creating and fostering a culture that can not only withstand but also thrive off this sort of thing. While Staudt is obviously the heavy favorite to start next year, he's still got to earn it.
He's beyond the heavy favorite - he was an HM AA in 2023 - with close to a 56% save percentage - he had a 52% save percentage on a not so good team last year with a non Patriot schedule that includes Maryland/Hopkins/Georgetown/Towson and Duke - and of course the Patriot league is not filled with Little Sisters of the Poor as evidenced by our struggles with Navy/Lehigh (and Army was ranked #1 at one point). In addition - we lament the face-off percentage and say what could have been - what do you think Staudt might say about a .401 face-off success rate???? When Chayse came in - Galinas was also coming in and Verdi was a freshman - not a hard call. Now those two have toiled in the program for a year and probably don't see a bright path to playing time. I am sure Luke is a great teammate and they will support him but it has to be hard. Those two in particular have not played a single second so it's not like you can point to a game or plays and say.....
For sure, but both of those guys have only been in the program a year and have multiple years of eligibility left. If they stick around they'll get their shot. Their main competition in 2026 will likely be a freshman. So they should be given every opportunity to earn the job at some point. I feel for Webb more than I feel for the others but it's the big leagues, gotta do what you've gotta do.

And agree - always thought Staudt was impressive when we played them.

The staff has done a good job using the portal to target specific needs rather than just bring in as many guys as they can seemingly at random like some other schools have done. Still lots of playing time that's up for grabs and 90% of it will be won by homegrown recruits.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

A hopkins degree is not a bad consolation prize for Webb however.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”