The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: 2024

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:58 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:15 pm
You just made my point for me, thank you. The fact that HE IS the only one that has been run through the ringer, when most everyone knows this (white collar shenanigans) crap goes on all the time, and yet....they most always fly under the radar, cover for one another, or pay someone off. That is my point and how so many view what is going on.
Bzzzt. Nope. Hunter is on trial for white collar crime. Right now.

So in Menendez.

You don't care. Republicans don't care.

No mention of Deep State. No mention of corruption. No clutching pearls, and demands from you cats that Hunter and Menendez be set free.

You can't run. You can't hide. And if you want? I'll list alllllllll the Federal politicians who have been investigated and indicted by the FBI. Both parties. And the list goes back decades.

Your crew is acting like this has never happened before. Scooter Libbey ring a bell?

You want Trump and your party to be left to do what they want. Please, try and tell me otherwise. Because you "forgot" to tell the FBI and DoJ to let Menendez break white collar laws, my man.

If this was the first time this happened, YA? There wouldn't be this lengthy Wikipedia entry called "List of American Federal Politicians Convicted of Crimes": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... _of_crimes. Notice how many are convictions for lying on Federal forms.

Your response? Make it a good one! No walking away, my man!
Nice WIKI list that does not include a current, or sitting president, appreciate the support. ;)
You mean setting aside the the FBI and DoJ went after two sitting Presidents in Nixon and B Clinton?

And even if that never happened, are you forgetting that I have a memory (and the Forum has a search function)???

Did you and your fellow Republicans demand that the DoJ and FBI look into sitting President Biden to search for any corruption between Joe, Hunter, and Ukraine? That's right. You did,

You didn't exempt a sitting POTUS from the US Justice system when we were dealing with a Dem.

You have nowhere to run. Take a knee. You want your team to do whatever they want, with zero consequences. While at the same time, you want the full force of the US Government to chase down any D who so much as jaywalks.

Want me to pull up your posts to refresh your memory? You lost your mind over Hunter, YA. You really don't remember this?
Yep...and neither one was charged with anything....Bill even somehow negotiated his way out of it, further proving the counter point argument that was earlier presented. And your argument that whomever had the D next to their name was not investigated by Barr or equivalent is also in line with the broader point I was positing; in short, the higher up you go, the more safe you are; ala Clinton. Now you are tergiversating the original point, which is fine.

I want no such thing for either team to do whatever they want, I want them all nailed to the wall....even said so above about Trump.....you forget that quickly ;) ? Take a knee....Ha! Never! ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:44 pm Yep...and neither one was charged with anything....Bill even somehow negotiated his way out of it, further proving the counter point argument that was earlier presented. And your argument that whomever had the D next to their name was not investigated by Barr or equivalent is also in line with the broader point I was positing; in short, the higher up you go, the more safe you are; ala Clinton. Now you are tergiversating the original point, which is fine.
Clearly not true. Why do you supposed Ford pardoned Nixon? For fun?

Ford knew, and we all knew, that Nixon broke laws. And had Ford not pardoned him? He'd go to trial, get convinced, and serve jail time.

Nixon is the precedent, YA. This is not new ground. Ford simply cut the indictment short.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:44 pm
I want no such thing for either team to do whatever they want, I want them all nailed to the wall....even said so above about Trump.....you forget that quickly ;) ? Take a knee....Ha! Never! ;)
If that's true? Great. Then stop giving us cites that tell us that reasonable Republicans think that going after Trump means that our Justice system is corrupt. You clearly don't believe that, so stop citing that stuff.

And you just took a knee.....you know doggone well that Trump broke laws. Hence the felony convictions, not just of him, but of his bud Cohen for his part in the same crimes (tax crimes and campaign violations related to helping Trump's crimes).

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/mi ... iminal-tax
old salt

Post by old salt »

Illegal purchase, possession & disposal of a firearm. Failure to file & pay income taxes = white collar crime ? okie dokie

Hunter was given so many opportunities & so much time to make payment or work out a deal that the statutes of limitations began to run.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:37 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:55 pm OMG! The EUroburghers might have to prepare to defend themselves. How much of their GDP will that cost them ?
I'm 100% on the same page here. 100%.
And yet it doesn’t change our role and obligations to manage cancers around the globe before they spread to us. What about those guys never changes ones own responsibilities .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:19 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:55 pm OMG! The EUroburghers might have to prepare to defend themselves. How much of their GDP will that cost them ?
And yet it doesn’t change our role and obligations to manage cancers around the globe before they spread to us. What about those guys never changes ones own responsibilities .
Yes.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Admiral McRaven, in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... m-mcraven/

"My mother was a member of the Greatest Generation. Born in 1921, she was raised on a small farm in East Texas. She went to church every Sunday. Her family struggled through the Great Depression. Her brother went off to fight World War II in the Pacific, and she found lasting love with a fighter pilot from that war.

She believed in American Exceptionalism — not in the power of our military or the strength of our economy, but in the values that shaped the nation. She often told me stories of great acts of courage, sacrifice and integrity, stories rooted in American history. Stories that would frame my understanding of our national character.

She loved the story of John Adams, who despite withering criticism defended the British soldiers who shot and killed several rioting civilians during the Boston Massacre in 1770. She praised the jurors who found the soldiers — who had been harassed and assaulted by the crowd — not guilty of murder charges. She extolled their fairness as essential to the American character.

Then there was Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, who treated a defeated Robert E. Lee with grace and compassion at Appomattox; Gen. Douglas MacArthur, who worked to rebuild Japanese society during the post-World War II occupation of Japan; Secretary of State George C. Marshall and his plan to reconstruct a devastated postwar Europe; the Berlin Airlift; and many other examples of the American character.

Growing up in the segregated South, my mother was not naive about our nation’s faults, but she always believed in our better angels. She believed that America was exceptional because there was goodness in our hearts, goodness that transcended our hatreds, goodness that brought us together in the worst of times, goodness that showed the world that despite our internal strife and political divisions we could rise above it all and be the best version of ourselves. This was what made America exceptional.

Now, a former president has been convicted by a jury in New York, and we have a choice to make. We can show the world that we are still exceptional and continue to lead the international community with integrity and pride, or we can prolong the onslaught of crassness, vulgarity, pettiness and righteous indignation and descend into national mediocrity, where there is nothing of value worth emulating.

I have been a vocal critic of the former president, but I took no joy in seeing him found guilty. He was the president of the United States. My president. Whether I liked him or not, he had been elected by the people, the American people — your neighbors, your colleagues, your friends and your family. If we are going to continue to be viewed as exceptional, then it is time for both sides to lay down their rhetorical arms and find a way to rise above.

On the left, stop the gloating, the ugly memes, the public rants, the late-night roastings and the political vitriol. On the right, respect the legal verdict, support the jurors, fly your flag with honor and find a way to bridge the political divide. There are thoughtful, reasonable, genuinely good men and women on both sides. Let them speak for America.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of Earth.” It is up to us — all of us — to decide whether this is that place and time. Whether this is where we stand together and show the world that we can rise above, that we are exceptional, that my mother was right — that our goodness can transcend our hatreds and bring us together even in the most challenging of times."
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

George C. Marshall. Yep--did great things to help Europe rebuild, but he was a Jew-hater from way back. I'm glad Truman ignored Marshall's ultimatum and went ahead with his support for a State of Israel anyway.

This is such a pipe dream. I'd love for those things in the last three paragraphs to happen too but trends, especially in the negative areas mentioned, are only going to get worse, no matter who gets elected--sad to say.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:32 am Illegal purchase, possession & disposal of a firearm. Failure to file & pay income taxes = white collar crime ? okie dokie

Hunter was given so many opportunities & so much time to make payment or work out a deal that the statutes of limitations began to run.
Yes, white collar crime.

Non violent, false paperwork and money.
(I'm predicting a guilty verdict, but I haven't seen what the defense will be; might get limited to misdemeanors, but my hunch says felony conviction)

Do you think Menendez's crimes were something other than 'white collar'?
(I'm predicting a guilty verdict, but I haven't seen what the defense will be....but man, sure looks guilty to me)

Maybe you prefer your old "process crimes"?

Why should white collar crimes be treated as if irrelevant?
Oh yeah, only irrelevant if the perp is MAGA ?

How about this, we rank Trump's indicted crimes with Menendez's and Hunter's by order of importance?

What say you, Salty, and why?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:04 am George C. Marshall. Yep--did great things to help Europe rebuild, but he was a Jew-hater from way back. I'm glad Truman ignored Marshall's ultimatum and went ahead with his support for a State of Israel anyway.

This is such a pipe dream. I'd love for those things in the last three paragraphs to happen too but trends, especially in the negative areas mentioned, are only going to get worse, no matter who gets elected--sad to say.
And yet it remains possible for us to weather this storm of indecency and strive to lift up those of good character, whether in politics, business, law, any walk of life.

History will be the judge, but let's understand that if the extremist autocrats of any persuasion gain power, that 'history' may be entirely and purposely false for generations to come.

We still have the capacity to reject the extremism, the indecent, in our political choices.

We have a stark opportunity to do so in 2024, just as we had in 2020.

No choice is perfect, no person unflawed, no policy without unintended consequences, but the 'character' that Admiral McRaven speaks to is provided an opportunity to prevail, uniquely, in the form of government the United States has pioneered. It's messy, often frustrating, sometimes infuriating, but it enables, with time, for that arc of history to bend toward justice unlike any other form of government.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:31 am
old salt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:32 am Illegal purchase, possession & disposal of a firearm. Failure to file & pay income taxes = white collar crime ? okie dokie

Yes, white collar crime.

(I'm predicting a guilty verdict, but I haven't seen what the defense will be; might get limited to misdemeanors, but my hunch says felony conviction)

(I'm predicting a guilty verdict, but I haven't seen what the defense will be....but man, sure looks guilty to me)

How about this, we rank Trump's indicted crimes with Menendez's and Hunter's by order of importance?

Only the BEST, for the richest. Crime? What crime? destroying someones lifetime savings is murder, plain and simple. BUT.......I AM SCIENCE.

All of these creeps.....epstein islanders. Hunter Biden and tRumps can always join this club. ;)

Michael and Lori Milken
Santa Monica, California
December 2010

Dear Warren, Bill and Melinda,

We've long embraced the principles of The Giving Pledge. Charity is something we learned at an early age, whether during grade school riding our bikes around the neighborhood collecting dimes and quarters for the United Way or later, participating in community service programs in high school. From the time we began formal philanthropic programs in the 1970s, we've made contributions at a rate that will assure distribution of the overwhelming majority of assets during our lifetimes. Our goal has been to discover and develop inventive and effective ways of helping people help themselves and those around them to lead productive and satisfying lives. We do that through our work in building human capital; in advancing education; in providing greater access to financial capital and markets; in medical research and public health; and in the arts.

We are committed to accelerating basic, translational and applied medical science; to seeking out, recognizing and rewarding exceptional educators and assisting promising students; to encouraging and supporting artistic creativity; and to strengthening public health with emphasis on prevention and wellness. The Milken Institute strives to drive job creation while promoting effective financial markets that foster entrepreneurship and economic growth. The challenges in all these areas have always been immediate, which made it clear to us that we should act immediately rather than defer our giving.

Charitable involvement has taught us many lessons:

The kind of world in which our children and grandchildren reach their potential depends on the success of our efforts to provide opportunities for all children.
Early funding of promising young talent generates more progress than handing out lifetime-achievement awards.
The most effective programs create an environment that brings people in disparate organizations and disciplines together—industry, non-profits, academic and government representatives, for example—to accelerate the process of discovery.
Philanthropy is far more than just writing checks. It takes an entrepreneurial approach that seeks out best practices and empowers people to change the world.
Philanthropists should begin the process of giving by asking what they care about passionately. Intensely felt core beliefs provide the motivation to stick with projects through successful completion.

Although it has been our privilege to be able to provide financial support for a wide range of programs, we believe it's just as important to donate time and transfer knowledge, not just money. The effect of large gifts is magnified when the giver contributes skills. There's no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and working with the people who can make a difference. They get the benefit of your participation and you gain a direct understanding of the real problems and potential solutions, which makes you a more informed giver.

Thank you for the opportunity to make this pledge.

Sincerely,

Pledger Signature Michael MilkenPledger Signature Lori Milken
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:43 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:04 am George C. Marshall. Yep--did great things to help Europe rebuild, but he was a Jew-hater from way back. I'm glad Truman ignored Marshall's ultimatum and went ahead with his support for a State of Israel anyway.

And yet it remains possible for us to weather this storm of indecency and strive to lift up those of good character, whether in politics, business, law, any walk of life.

History will be the judge, but let's understand that if the extremist autocrats of any persuasion gain power, that 'history' may be entirely and purposely false for generations to come.

We still have the capacity to reject the extremism, the indecent, in our political choices.

No choice is perfect, no person unflawed, no policy without unintended consequences, but the 'character' that Admiral McRaven speaks to is provided an opportunity to prevail, uniquely, in the form of government the United States has pioneered. It's messy, often frustrating, sometimes infuriating, but it enables, with time, for that arc of history to bend toward justice unlike any other form of government.
I hear you--but I think we as a country have devolved in so many areas that any of what you are holding out hope for ain't gonna happen. We've gone too far down the road to come back from the cavernous divide in this country. Both Red and Blue are in it up their necks, and both are participating with both hands earnestly (not to mention, greedily. There's a lot more money in war than peace).
a fan

Post by a fan »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:28 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:19 am
Yes.
+!. As you all know, I'm tired of footing the bill to keep the world safe. EU nations and the UK are perfectly capable of building ships, planes, and weapons. We've been letting them spend money on their own people, who enjoy free health care, training, and education....while the American people are left to fend for themselves. I'm sick of it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:58 am

I hear you--but I think we as a country have devolved in so many areas that any of what you are holding out hope for ain't gonna happen. We've gone too far down the road to come back from the cavernous divide in this country. Both Red and Blue are in it up their necks, and both are participating with both hands earnestly (not to mention, greedily. There's a lot more money in war than peace).
At some point, working class Americans will figure out that they're being sold a bunch of shiny objects that have NOTHING to do with educating their kids for 21st century jobs. Nothing to do with getting their kids access to doctors and dentists.

Gen Z is figuring this out, fast.
a fan

Post by a fan »

More holding politicians accountable for breaking laws. Oh no, not THAT!

CNN

The Wisconsin attorney general on Tuesday filed charges against three allies of Donald Trump accused of taking part in the effort to put forth a slate of fake electors and usurp the 2020 presidential election, according to online court records.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/04/politics ... index.html
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:44 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:58 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:15 pm
You just made my point for me, thank you. The fact that HE IS the only one that has been run through the ringer, when most everyone knows this (white collar shenanigans) crap goes on all the time, and yet....they most always fly under the radar, cover for one another, or pay someone off. That is my point and how so many view what is going on.
Bzzzt. Nope. Hunter is on trial for white collar crime. Right now.

So in Menendez.

You don't care. Republicans don't care.

No mention of Deep State. No mention of corruption. No clutching pearls, and demands from you cats that Hunter and Menendez be set free.

You can't run. You can't hide. And if you want? I'll list alllllllll the Federal politicians who have been investigated and indicted by the FBI. Both parties. And the list goes back decades.

Your crew is acting like this has never happened before. Scooter Libbey ring a bell?

You want Trump and your party to be left to do what they want. Please, try and tell me otherwise. Because you "forgot" to tell the FBI and DoJ to let Menendez break white collar laws, my man.

If this was the first time this happened, YA? There wouldn't be this lengthy Wikipedia entry called "List of American Federal Politicians Convicted of Crimes": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... _of_crimes. Notice how many are convictions for lying on Federal forms.

Your response? Make it a good one! No walking away, my man!
Nice WIKI list that does not include a current, or sitting president, appreciate the support. ;)
You mean setting aside the the FBI and DoJ went after two sitting Presidents in Nixon and B Clinton?

And even if that never happened, are you forgetting that I have a memory (and the Forum has a search function)???

Did you and your fellow Republicans demand that the DoJ and FBI look into sitting President Biden to search for any corruption between Joe, Hunter, and Ukraine? That's right. You did,

You didn't exempt a sitting POTUS from the US Justice system when we were dealing with a Dem.

You have nowhere to run. Take a knee. You want your team to do whatever they want, with zero consequences. While at the same time, you want the full force of the US Government to chase down any D who so much as jaywalks.

Want me to pull up your posts to refresh your memory? You lost your mind over Hunter, YA. You really don't remember this?
Yep...and neither one was charged with anything....Bill even somehow negotiated his way out of it, further proving the counter point argument that was earlier presented. And your argument that whomever had the D next to their name was not investigated by Barr or equivalent is also in line with the broader point I was positing; in short, the higher up you go, the more safe you are; ala Clinton. Now you are tergiversating the original point, which is fine.

https://youtu.be/DPdIfHfM1Mk?si=-rwAwQ4bwMwBPH3q
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:31 am

Yes, white collar crime.

Bankers are POS but inherited wealth destroying scumbag CRE owners (he hasn’t been a developer in 20+ years really) are, as Tony le Tigre says “they’re great!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

When your illegally purchased handgun ends up in a dumpster near a school & is fished out, it's a white collar crime ? Okie Dokie.
That'll be welcome news in the 'hood.

If the ledger entries for the payments to Cohen read "reimbursement for n.d.a." then Trump & Wiselberg would be off the hook.
There would be no "fraud".

How were the payments from Hillary's campaign for the Steele Dossier via the DNC's law firm & Fusion GPS recorded in their business records ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:30 pm When your illegally purchased handgun ends up in a dumpster near a school & is fished out, it's a white collar crime. Okie Dokie.
That'll be welcome news in the 'hood.
It's hasn't been ruled illegal yet. And again, the only reason it's charged as illegal....is a Federal form.

There are no laws against throwing a gun in the trash. And your party would never allow that to be illegal.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The law behind the paperwork form is that it is illegal for addicts to purchase a gun.

Had he not lied on the form, he would not have been permitted to purchase the gun.

The paperwork form is part of the enforcement mechanism. If he was an addict, it was illegal to purchase & possess the gun.

Where's the support for gun control, dismissing it as a mere paperwork crime ?

The woman living with him felt it was dangerous enough to dispose of the gun, in a reckless manner.

It was not a mere paperwork error.

The X in that box was made with ink that matches Russian made ball point pens.
The 51 retired spooks are drafting a letter explaining it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:58 am

I suspect that you, too, hope that dire prediction is 'wrong' and that we come through this fractured time successfully.

Where I disagree, somewhat, is that I don't think there's anything close to an equivalence in how far 'gone' each party is toward its extremes.

One party is full on in cult mode and fully given up on democratic, small d, governance, whereas the other, however inept and sometimes corrupt and often feckless, rejects the autocratic formula.

Not that I couldn't see the hard left embracing an autocratic response to the criminality and endorsement of criminality being exhibited on the hard right, the hard left is just not remotely close to being dominant in that party. No personality cult. No cult of extremism.

Could the boomerang get them there?
Sure, but not if it's the center left and center right that sways the difference.

But man, we really need to get rid of gerrymandering and we really need some regulation of social media, especially removal of protection from lawsuits.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”