Maryland 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Maryland 2025

Post by masondixonlax »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:37 pm Per LaxRef, top 5 TO Rates on the 2024 team:

Erksa - 0.95
Koras - 0.84
Murphy - 0.80
Spanos - 0.73
Brennan - 0.69

Top 5 play shares on the 2024 team:

Erksa - 10.%
Koras - 7.5%
Spanos - 6.7%
Malever - 6.6%
Siracusa - 6.3%

Murphy checks in at 10th on the team with 3.5%.

So the clustering of Erksa, Koras, and Murphy on TOs is astute. The problem is Murphy was 3rd in TO rate despite being only 10th in play shares.

If you look at usage adjusted Expected Goals for just offensive players, here's what you get for the Top 5 on the 2024 team:

Spanos - 1.9
Malever - 1.63
Maltz - 1.61
Kelly - 1.55
Siracusa - 1.41

Erksa and Murphy come in at 10th with 1.17 apiece. High turnovers combined with player usage impacts their expected goals per game.

Hence why I do not think Erska should be on attack anymore. If you are going to have that high of a usage rate you have to take care of the ball. Think he is great coming out of the box since he will likely get a short stick and catch D by surprise.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:03 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:50 pm Pretty sure Brennan is out of eligibility. Was a freshman on the 2020 team, played in 2021, 2022, 2023, and now 2024. That's the same sequence for guys like Siracusa.

I'd be surprised, too, if Murphy came back for one more year.

Brennan had such a great 2022 season. The shooting slump he went into in 2023 was one of the greater mysteries of that season. Everyone in the program had very high hopes for him, but he couldn't shake the funk. Worked hard as hell. Kept being a great teammate. That remained the case this year.

Murphy was just never a ball carrier. When surrounded with the 2022 talent and experience, his ability to shoot made a difference. When he had to take on a bigger role, he struggled with turnovers. He always seemed to zig when everyone else thought he would zag.

Definitely wish those guys well. Brennan is a great student and will do well out there in the work world. Murphy will find a spot somewhere and get back to his gunslinging ways.
Brennan was hurt in 2021, and didn't play. So he would have a 6th year if he wanted it, but he's gonna be like 24 and the team isn't in the spot to be keeping 24 year old second midfielders around IMO

Same goes for Murphy, but if he wants to keep it rolling, he'll do well at Providence next year
Totally forgot about Brennan's injury in 2021.
He announced on IG this afternoon that he was done and not coming back
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:44 pm
Hence why I do not think Erska should be on attack anymore. If you are going to have that high of a usage rate you have to take care of the ball. Think he is great coming out of the box since he will likely get a short stick and catch D by surprise.
Agreed.

I also like the idea that if you have 6 midfielders without a ton of separation between 1 and 6, not having a set "1st line" and "2nd" line is kinda interesting. We saw that kind of usage in the NCAA tournament, and it really caused defenses problems. Wonder if we see the same thing next season.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

last year, erksa was the future. guys are going to be putting in a lot of time this summer and then go at it in the fall. just as he didn't take the step that some might like after year 1, he showed out once and next year is next year. ya never know.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:04 pm last year, erksa was the future. guys are going to be putting in a lot of time this summer and then go at it in the fall. just as he didn't take the step that some might like after year 1, he showed out once and next year is next year. ya never know.
He's led the team in scoring the past 2 seasons with 48 and 41 points, respectively. 89 points through 2 seasons isn't something to sneeze at. If he keeps that pace, he'll finish next year with 134 career points. That would tie him for 30th in school history. A senior year with another 45 points gets him 179 for his career. That'd be good for 19th on the all-time points list at Maryland.

So, yeah, he's a pretty good player!

The issue is where do you put him to maximize his potential? Is it at attack or midfield? He could be that Connor Kelly-type player that spends the rest of his career flipping between A and M through each game.

Speed is his greatest asset. His has a good shot, too. Can he develop a 3rd tool? So far, he hasn't been a change of direction dodger. He's been more of a one cut and go kind of dodger. That's why more physical defenders have given him problems. He's not big enough to get into their bodies, and he's doesn't yet have a change of direction dodge to make defenders pause (which makes his speed more dangerous).

Running him through the box definitely gives him more runway to use his speed from up top. Of course, even against LSMs, he's going to probably win that match up. UVA bumped Kastner up to the midfield when Erksa ran through the box. Notre Dame bumped Lyght up, as well.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:36 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:04 pm last year, erksa was the future. guys are going to be putting in a lot of time this summer and then go at it in the fall. just as he didn't take the step that some might like after year 1, he showed out once and next year is next year. ya never know.
He's led the team in scoring the past 2 seasons with 48 and 41 points, respectively. 89 points through 2 seasons isn't something to sneeze at. If he keeps that pace, he'll finish next year with 134 career points. That would tie him for 30th in school history. A senior year with another 45 points gets him 179 for his career. That'd be good for 19th on the all-time points list at Maryland.

The issue is where do you put him to maximize his potential? Is it at attack or midfield? He could be that Connor Kelly-type player that spends the rest of his career flipping between A and M through each game.

Speed is his greatest asset. His has a good shot, too. Can he develop a 3rd tool? So far, he hasn't been a change of direction dodger. He's been more of a one cut and go kind of dodger. That's why more physical defenders have given him problems. He's not big enough to get into their bodies, and he's doesn't yet have a change of direction dodge to make defenders pause (which makes his speed more dangerous).

Running him through the box definitely gives him more runway to use his speed from up top. Of course, even against LSMs, he's going to probably win that match up. UVA bumped Kastner up to the midfield when Erksa ran through the box. Notre Dame bumped Lyght up, as well.
i agree. but history has shown you ^need^ a #1 guy. and on top of that, that #1 guy will be what your offense looks like. kelly was an attackman that did his work after transition up top, as that was where he was most dangerous. he was on the field for every possession and transition as well.

you start running out of the box and you're missing shifts to the 2s, transition...it takes an absolute stud and a focus on a player for that mid to be #1. anyway, erksa i thought would've put on more weight for the pounding, to have other options to dodge... he has another chance.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:49 pm
i agree. but history has shown you ^need^ a #1 guy. and on top of that, that #1 guy will be what your offense looks like. kelly was an attackman that did his work after transition up top, as that was where he was most dangerous. he was on the field for every possession and transition as well.

you start running out of the box and you're missing shifts to the 2s, transition...it takes an absolute stud and a focus on a player for that mid to be #1. anyway, erksa i thought would've put on more weight for the pounding, to have other options to dodge... he has another chance.
Spanos is your alpha next year. Might not wear #1 but he's the guy who will stir the drink.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:36 pm

He absolutely does and has earned another chance. He’s a good player but the offense looked completely rejuvenated once Spannos and and Kelly were put on attack and moved Erksa up top.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:52 pm

Spanos is your alpha next year. Might not wear #1 but he's the guy who will stir the drink.
maybe so. next year is a complete guess fest.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The way it’s looking, I think they’re looking at Spanos,
Erksa, and Kelly as the guys who are coming back and everything after that is up for grabs. If you’re a returning guy, you’re probably either looking at way less minutes or you should get in the portal. It’s clear they viewed what happened this year offensively as unacceptable and they’re not letting it happen again without at least making major changes. They kept the status quo from 2023 -> 2024 and….well, prior to the tournament it was the same thing.

Malever was 3rd leading scorer. Gone. Koras, Maltz, and Siracusa graduated. Murphy is gonna portal it. Brennan probably is just done, but I doubt there was a role for him. That’s 3 guys who played substantial minutes out the door when they could have returned.

They’ve already brought in two from the portal. Would not be surprised if there’s more. They’ve got some talented freshmen coming in. The offense is gonna look wildly different if I had to guess. Will it be better? Well, I’m not sure it could be any worse than it was at times. We’ll see if they can replicate what they had working in May.

Either way, it’s going to be interesting. Even in 2023, while there was a lot of turnover, you knew the pieces in play because they featured extensively in 2022. This year might be the most turnover they have on offense in a long, long time. Could be 3+ portal guys in, freshmen. There will be changes
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hate to say it, but I really hope Tillman opens up the entire offense to competition, I don't feel there is anyone on offense that has done enough or played well enough over the year to warrant being a shoe-in to start...Erksa, Kelly and Spanos included...neither of the three above have set a tone of being in control of the game...
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

I’m sure Aiken, Gravino, Hiluth, Stobaugh,McPherson will have opportunities to compete for time. With Ford, Gardiner and Draley coming they too will get the chance to compete. D will be strong again even with Zap gone. Possessions? Not replacing Luke but I’m confident between Shea, Sean and Floyd we will have a chance. Hopefully, some #52 rubbed off!
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDralphie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:20 am I’m sure Aiken, Gravino, Hiluth, Stobaugh,McPherson will have opportunities to compete for time. With Ford, Gardiner and Draley coming they too will get the chance to compete. D will be strong again even with Zap gone. Possessions? Not replacing Luke but I’m confident between Shea, Sean and Floyd we will have a chance. Hopefully, some #52 rubbed off!

I saw a few of Gravino’s high school games. I could’ve sworn he was D1 ready. I’d love to understand why he wasn’t used this past year, when Maryland was in need of solid middies.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Finster wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:51 pm
MDralphie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:20 am I’m sure Aiken, Gravino, Hiluth, Stobaugh,McPherson will have opportunities to compete for time. With Ford, Gardiner and Draley coming they too will get the chance to compete. D will be strong again even with Zap gone. Possessions? Not replacing Luke but I’m confident between Shea, Sean and Floyd we will have a chance. Hopefully, some #52 rubbed off!
I saw a few of Gravino’s high school games. I could’ve sworn he was D1 ready. I’d love to understand why he wasn’t used this past year, when Maryland was in need of solid middies.
Gravino’s Redshirted this year. There were several redshirts this season.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

You would think that if ever there was a year to break into a lineup, this team and this year would be it...during the regular season, 4 of the top 6 middies had point totals of 16, 5, 11 and 4. This run will generally be forgotten because they didn't win the title, but this was one of the more incredible tournament performances in recent history.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

I would think this year’s tournament run really highlights that the Terps have Coach K for a lax coach and I would think HS recruits, their parents, and Transfer’s would see if they want the best it’s Tillman…..
AllaboutLax

Post by AllaboutLax »

Coach Bernhardt doesn't receive the credit he deserves for the success for this team. Coach K is a stretch.
Finster

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:29 pm
Gravino’s Redshirted this year. There were several redshirts this season.

I realize he was redshirted. My question is why?
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:36 pm
You would think that if ever there was a year to break into a lineup, this team and this year would be it...during the regular season, 4 of the top 6 middies had point totals of 16, 5, 11 and 4. This run will generally be forgotten because they didn't win the title, but this was one of the more incredible tournament performances in recent history.

If Gravino doesn’t break through next year, I’ll be interested in understanding what happened. Like I said, he looked D1 ready in his senior year in HS, as well as at the summer Under Armor all American game.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

AllaboutLax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:27 am Coach Bernhardt doesn't receive the credit he deserves for the success for this team. Coach K is a stretch.
Absolutely agree on Bernhardt

As for the Coach K comparison, I’m pretty confident Tillman has far exceeded in his first 11 years by comparison vs K’s first eleven years at Duke. You can say it’s not apples to apples I guess.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”