Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:45 am
If anyone thinks Collison should just continue passing the ball to Bauer and setting picks for him … say so here. I think many here believe Collison has first team AA potential. Passing the ball to a teammate guarded by a long pole and setting picks for the teammate is not what a first team AA midfielder does.

Again, I’m not the only one who thinks the Hopkins O is not aggressive enough. QK tagged it “minimally invasive.” And let’s face it … despite the animosity towards Quint, he knows lacrosse better than anyone here.

DocBarrister
I think the Jays should run some version of a motion offense next year. If English comes back healthy, he's likely to be the primary initiator. He can also shoot the ball, which is critical if you want teams to slide to you. Ayers needs to work on his finishing to be more of a threat. Meanwhile, Chauvette can be hanging around looking for open shots.

Collison needs to evolve his game. He likes to back into the goal, but teams double him when he does this. So he's got to anticipate that, spin or pivot, and hit the open man. He's likely to be a focal point of defenses next year and he's got to move the ball when he gets doubled. Like a center in basketball, kick it back out for open shots when they collapse on you inside. Almost all great players can make assists when defenses try to double them.

Hackler from Yale looks to be a pretty good athletic middie with leadership skills. I could see a first line of English, Hackler and Collison next year. If Ayers can raise his game up offense could click potentially. I expect defenses to focus on Melendez and Collison so other players need to step up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:27 am I think the Jays should run some version of a motion offense next year.
????

They've been running one since 2014. All a "motion offense" is is players cutting off ball, setting screens, free-flowing rather than set plays. All five guys doing *something* to help create the scoring opportunity. That's it. There's nothing more to it. Crawley's offense is the textbook definition of a motion offense. It's also heavily inspired by basketball. Perhaps more than some would like.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:01 pm
coda wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:46 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:37 am
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:38 pm Yeah with the incredibly imperfect data in only really having seen a handful of game highlights and highlight reels many of which are a year or more old there isn't a ton you can really know for sure of unless you're way more involved in the high school scene.

Gregorek is exciting because he just seems like a hard nosed do-it-all type guy that you can put anywhere on the field and he'll get the job done. He does however seem to not have a left hand at all.

McCleary is a nice horse on the offensive end with certainly a preference for his left but maybe isn't entirely one handed. Seems to not shy away from the bigger moments as well.

Both of these guys look to be able to shake defenders and get their hands free with strong shots and while on the run. But high school isn't D1 and as discussed there is plenty of talent that was riding the pine last year and being seasoned. This fall should hopefully be exciting.
I thought one of the areas of real progress was the Jay Dyer folder of the kids athleticism/physicality/quickness. He's got his work cut out for him over the next 9 months not only with the new kids, but the younger players who are going to have expanded roles next year potentially. Ayers and Chauvette for example.

Looking at the schedule there's 8 road games and 5 home games if they keep the same opponents. Syracuse should be a road game next year. It was a neutral game this year I think because Syracuse didn't want to play 3 in 4 at homewood after their 2021 home date was cancelled. Having 6 road games against ncaa tournament teams is going to be a real test. I guess for the budget Maryland/Navy/Towson/Loyola all don't require hotel rooms or flights. 9 games potentially in the state of Maryland, nice side perk of being in Baltimore.

Away Denver Towson Loyola Syracuse Navy Michigan Penn State Maryland
Home Georgetown UNC UVA Ohio State Rutgers.
Chauvette is going to be Chauvette. He has that lefty shot and that is pretty much what you get. He isnt a dodger. Can work on his passing, but he is kind of limited player. He is the obvious heir apparent to Degnon. That is his perfect role. That was the big reason I was in this thread prior to the season doubting he would make a big impact as a freshman. Hopkins already had the 25 year old version of him on the team. It is tough to put 2 guys with limited skill sets, albeit a great singular skill set, on the field at the same and maintain balance on offense.
Same used to be said of Degnon. Couldn’t dodge, they said. But Degnon probably had the best dodge of the season for a goal (triple teamed, lost shoe, picked up gb, shot, scored).

Folks said Degnon didn’t have a right hand. But one of his best looking goals was off an alley dodge and a shot with his right hand.

I’m sure Hunter Chauvette can dodge and shoot with his right hand. He may need to develop those skills, but I am sure he can. Those skills never need to become his bread and butter, but he needs to develop them to keep opposing defenses honest. Develop those skills and opposing Ds won’t be able to sit on his left-handed shot or faceguard him. If he works on his dodging and right-handed shot, it will make his set left-handed shot that much more efficient and lethal.

DocBarrister
This is nonsense. You tend to remember a singular play and state that as a proven skill set, not to mention that was just an amazingly lucky play by Degnon. Unless you are a fan of running into a triple team, losing the ball, picking it up, and scoring or Degnon's father I would not call that a good dodge. Anyone can dodge a bad approach. I saw every game Chauvette played his last 2 years of HS and I can tell you he is not a dodger. Yes, he can beat a sloppy approach. His greatest skill is his ability to get his shot off quickly and in a phone booth. He is not very athletic and is a skinny kid. Shooting is what he brings. I think passing is something he should be working on and will help his game.
coda

Post by coda »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:27 am
If anyone thinks Collison should just continue passing the ball to Bauer and setting picks for him … say so here. I think many here believe Collison has first team AA potential. Passing the ball to a teammate guarded by a long pole and setting picks for the teammate is not what a first team AA midfielder does.

Again, I’m not the only one who thinks the Hopkins O is not aggressive enough. QK tagged it “minimally invasive.” And let’s face it … despite the animosity towards Quint, he knows lacrosse better than anyone here.

DocBarrister
I think the Jays should run some version of a motion offense next year. If English comes back healthy, he's likely to be the primary initiator. He can also shoot the ball, which is critical if you want teams to slide to you. Ayers needs to work on his finishing to be more of a threat. Meanwhile, Chauvette can be hanging around looking for open shots.

Collison needs to evolve his game. He likes to back into the goal, but teams double him when he does this. So he's got to anticipate that, spin or pivot, and hit the open man. He's likely to be a focal point of defenses next year and he's got to move the ball when he gets doubled. Like a center in basketball, kick it back out for open shots when they collapse on you inside. Almost all great players can make assists when defenses try to double them.

Hackler from Yale looks to be a pretty good athletic middie with leadership skills. I could see a first line of English, Hackler and Collison next year. If Ayers can raise his game up offense could click potentially. I expect defenses to focus on Melendez and Collison so other players need to step up.
This is correct. I happen to think Collison is out of position at Midfield. He is a power dodger/short area dodger. Likes to get his body in between a defender to get his shot off. Not a guy that causes separation. He can be predictable coming from up top. When he dodges from up top and turns his body it invites the double. English is an English. All of them are good dodgers and smart lacrosse players. Not the biggest guys. Not blessed with a big shot, but really good inside of 10 yards (box player). Perfect initiator. English to Chauvette was deadly his junior year in HS, they are very familiar with each others game.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Xanders reported.

“rising junior attackman Koleton Marquis has entered the portal, per a source. IL's former No. 59 recruit appeared in four games as a freshman, playing on the Jays' EMO during the postseason. He posted 160 points playing box last summer for the @JrANorthmen.”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:42 am
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:38 pm Yeah with the incredibly imperfect data in only really having seen a handful of game highlights and highlight reels many of which are a year or more old there isn't a ton you can really know for sure of unless you're way more involved in the high school scene.

Gregorek is exciting because he just seems like a hard nosed do-it-all type guy that you can put anywhere on the field and he'll get the job done. He does however seem to not have a left hand at all.

McCleary is a nice horse on the offensive end with certainly a preference for his left but maybe isn't entirely one handed. Seems to not shy away from the bigger moments as well.

Both of these guys look to be able to shake defenders and get their hands free with strong shots and while on the run. But high school isn't D1 and as discussed there is plenty of talent that was riding the pine last year and being seasoned. This fall should hopefully be exciting.
I thought one of the areas of real progress was the Jay Dyer folder of the kids athleticism/physicality/quickness. He's got his work cut out for him over the next 9 months not only with the new kids, but the younger players who are going to have expanded roles next year potentially. Ayers and Chauvette for example.

Looking at the schedule there's 8 road games and 5 home games if they keep the same opponents. Syracuse should be a road game next year. It was a neutral game this year I think because Syracuse didn't want to play 3 in 4 at homewood after their 2021 home date was cancelled. Having 6 road games against ncaa tournament teams is going to be a real test. I guess for the budget Maryland/Navy/Towson/Loyola all don't require hotel rooms or flights. 9 games potentially in the state of Maryland, nice side perk of being in Baltimore.

Chauvette is going to be Chauvette. He has that lefty shot and that is pretty much what you get. He isnt a dodger. Can work on his passing, but he is kind of limited player. He is the obvious heir apparent to Degnon. That is his perfect role. That was the big reason I was in this thread prior to the season doubting he would make a big impact as a freshman. Hopkins already had the 25 year old version of him on the team. It is tough to put 2 guys with limited skill sets, albeit a great singular skill set, on the field at the same and maintain balance on offense.
Same used to be said of Degnon. Couldn’t dodge, they said. But Degnon probably had the best dodge of the season for a goal (triple teamed, lost shoe, picked up gb, shot, scored).

Folks said Degnon didn’t have a right hand. But one of his best looking goals was off an alley dodge and a shot with his right hand.

I’m sure Hunter Chauvette can dodge and shoot with his right hand. He may need to develop those skills, but I am sure he can. Those skills never need to become his bread and butter, but he needs to develop them to keep opposing defenses honest. Develop those skills and opposing Ds won’t be able to sit on his left-handed shot or faceguard him. If he works on his dodging and right-handed shot, it will make his set left-handed shot that much more efficient and lethal.

DocBarrister
This is nonsense. You tend to remember a singular play and state that as a proven skill set, not to mention that was just an amazingly lucky play by Degnon. Unless you are a fan of running into a triple team, losing the ball, picking it up, and scoring or Degnon's father I would not call that a good dodge. Anyone can dodge a bad approach. I saw every game Chauvette played his last 2 years of HS and I can tell you he is not a dodger. Yes, he can beat a sloppy approach. His greatest skill is his ability to get his shot off quickly and in a phone booth. He is not very athletic and is a skinny kid. Shooting is what he brings. I think passing is something he should be working on and will help his game.
Your post is nonsense based on what we saw on the field. Degnon’s sweeps up top off a pick are dodges. His alley dodge was a dodge. He obviously developed those skills from practice and his teammates clearly practiced setting those plays up for him. They are probably out of his comfort zone, but players generally have to develop if they want to succeed in Division I college lacrosse.

Hunter Chauvette will need to expand his game if he wants to continue his success in Division I. If that means developing his passing and dodging skills, that’s what he needs to do. No one can expect to be a unidimensional player and succeed in the college game. Recall how opponents quickly adapted to Chauvette and began faceguarding him after he had a couple of hat tricks.

Every Blue Jay player is a good athlete, some better than others. It’s fans like you who simplistically pidgeonhole them into limited roles.

Being unidimensional isn’t going to cut it, and certainly not in a true motion offense, where just about everyone needs to dodge, pass, and cut.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:49 am

DocBarrister

This is correct. I happen to think Collison is out of position at Midfield. He is a power dodger/short area dodger. Likes to get his body in between a defender to get his shot off. Not a guy that causes separation. He can be predictable coming from up top. When he dodges from up top and turns his body it invites the double. English is an English. All of them are good dodgers and smart lacrosse players. Not the biggest guys. Not blessed with a big shot, but really good inside of 10 yards (box player). Perfect initiator. English to Chauvette was deadly his junior year in HS, they are very familiar with each others game.
A lot of top teams are slow to slide. When Collison plays against such a team (e.g., Virginia), he needs to dodge more. Collison belongs at midfield … he just needs to play more like a midfielder.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:07 am Xanders reported.

“rising junior attackman Koleton Marquis has entered the portal, per a source. IL's former No. 59 recruit appeared in four games as a freshman, playing on the Jays' EMO during the postseason. He posted 160 points playing box last summer for the @JrANorthmen.”
Sad to hear, albeit not wholly unexpected given how his college career has played out so far and him having seemingly been passed over on the depth chart to date. Wish him well and hope he catches on somewhere.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:59 am

DocBarrister
Your post is nonsense based on what we saw on the field. Degnon’s sweeps up top off a pick are dodges. His alley dodge was a dodge. He obviously developed those skills from practice and his teammates clearly practiced setting those plays up for him. They are probably out of his comfort zone, but players generally have to develop if they want to succeed in Division I college lacrosse.

Hunter Chauvette will need to expand his game if he wants to continue his success in Division I. If that means developing his passing and dodging skills, that’s what he needs to do. No one can expect to be a unidimensional player and succeed in the college game. Recall how opponents quickly adapted to Chauvette and began faceguarding him after he had a couple of hat tricks.

Every Blue Jay player is a good athlete, some better than others. It’s fans like you who simplistically pidgeonhole them into limited roles.

Being unidimensional isn’t going to cut it, and certainly not in a true motion offense, where just about everyone needs to dodge, pass, and cut.

DocBarrister
He lost the ball on that dodge. That is not a repeatable play. A good lacrosse play is repeatable, that is not. You are a slave to the result and blind to the process. You tend to see a play like this and think it is, because he dodged hard and it is repeatable. I cant tell if it is confirmation bias or just a lack of lacrosse knowledge. I used to describe plays like this as "NOoooo, YES!!" plays. Pls never coach

They are plenty of players that have a limited skill sets and have great success. Just look at the all-time goal scorers. Teat played one game with Shellenberger and said "Now I know how Cormier scored so many goals".
Last edited by coda on Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Not surprised at all by this. Too much talent to keep on the bench. I don’t understand why he didn’t get more playing time.

Wish the young man well. I think he will find much success wherever he goes.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:08 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
He lost the ball on that dodge. That is not a repeatable play. A good lacrosse play is repeatable, that is not. You are a slave to the result and blind to the process. You tend to see a play like this and think it is, because he dodged hard and it is repeatable. I cant tell if it is confirmation bias or just a lack of lacrosse knowledge. Pls never coach

They are plenty of players that have a limited skill sets and have great success. Just look at the all-time goal scorers. Teat played one game with Shellenberger and said "Now I know how Cormier scored so many goals".
No risk, no reward.

I would prefer risking losing the ball off an aggressive dodge than aimlessly passing the ball on the perimeter, failing to make the opposing D move, and then turning the ball over on a long-shot pass inside to a cutter who is immediately hammered … which is what the Hopkins O pretty much devolved into late in the season. Far too conservative.

In a “positionless” O where everyone is a role player … supposedly the offense Crawley and PM wanted … EVERYONE has to dodge, pass, and cut. That is why it’s so mind boggling that the Big Middies too often failed to dodge and deferred to their smaller, speedier teammates (Bauer, Ayers, even McDermott).

I don’t understand what the argument is even about. It’s obvious that was a major deficiency in the Hopkins O.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

That sucks - hope he picks a good academic school at least.
coda

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:19 pm
coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:08 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
He lost the ball on that dodge. That is not a repeatable play. A good lacrosse play is repeatable, that is not. You are a slave to the result and blind to the process. You tend to see a play like this and think it is, because he dodged hard and it is repeatable. I cant tell if it is confirmation bias or just a lack of lacrosse knowledge. Pls never coach

No risk, no reward.

I would prefer risking losing the ball off an aggressive dodge than aimlessly passing the ball on the perimeter, failing to make the opposing D move, and then turning the ball over on a long-shot pass inside to a cutter who is immediately hammered … which is what the Hopkins O pretty much devolved into late in the season. Far too conservative.

In a “positionless” O where everyone is a role player … supposedly the offense Crawley and PM wanted … EVERYONE has to dodge, pass, and cut. That is why it’s so mind boggling that the Big Middies too often failed to dodge and deferred to their smaller, speedier teammates (Bauer, Ayers, even McDermott).

I don’t understand what the argument is even about. It’s obvious that was a major deficiency in the Hopkins O.

DocBarrister
I would prefer risking losing the ball off an aggressive dodge than aimlessly passing the ball on the perimeter
there are more than 2 choices.

Even in positionless offenses, players have roles. Asking Chauvette to dodge and set up set downs for English is a poor use of personnel. I highly doubt Crawley will devise a offensive game plan centered around that. The idea is more about letting people use their skill sets from different areas of the field.
DocBarrister

Aggressive on D … why so conservative on O?

Post by DocBarrister »

One thing that has been frustrating regarding the discussion here is why folks are so accepting of an aggressive, high risk/high reward D and are so resistant to an aggressive, high risk/high reward O?

The Hopkins D in my opinion developed during the season into one of the best in college lacrosse. Now, JK doesn’t allow his players to engage in wild stick checks like Steve “The Helicopter” Panarelli, but he does encourage early, aggressive slides and physical body checks. The results were impressive … lots of caused turnovers, low GAA, and even good transition O from time to time.

Contrast that to the whiny fear expressed here about running into double, triple, or quadruple teams on aggressive dodges. ONE OF THE MAIN POINTS OF DODGING IS TO DRAW DOUBLE, TRIPLE, or even QUADRUPLE TEAMS. That’s a major objective of dodging … make the opposing D move … free up your teammates. If the dodging player can make a good shot off the dodge, great. If they can make a good pass off a dodge, terrific. But drawing a double or triple or quadruple team isn’t a problem with aggressive dodging … IT IS THE POINT OF AGGRESSIVE DODGING. That frees up space for cutting teammates to receive a pass. It forces teams that are hesitant to slide to slide. Once you get an opposing D to move, that opens things up for the O.

So, why is it ok for Hopkins to have an aggressive D while the O is so conservative and risk adverse?

It makes no sense at all.

The Hopkins O needs to ramp up the aggression and stop being so conservative. QK is practically yelling at them about this. So am I. What’s up with the rest of you?

I can tell you this … none of the Final Four teams made it to Philadelphia by playing it safe, not even Tillman’s Terps.

There’s a lesson there that some of you haven’t learned.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Re: Aggressive on D … why so conservative on O?

Post by coda »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:46 pm One thing that has been frustrating regarding the discussion here is why folks are so accepting of an aggressive, high risk/high reward D and are so resistant to an aggressive, high risk/high reward O?

The Hopkins D in my opinion developed during the season into one of the best in college lacrosse. Now, JK doesn’t allow his players to engage in wild stick checks like Steve “The Helicopter” Panarelli, but he does encourage early, aggressive slides and physical body checks. The results were impressive … lots of caused turnovers, low GAA, and even good transition O from time to time.

Contrast that to the whiny fear expressed here about running into double, triple, or quadruple teams on aggressive dodges. ONE OF THE MAIN POINTS OF DODGING IS TO DRAW DOUBLE, TRIPLE, or even QUADRUPLE TEAMS. That’s a major objective of dodging … make the opposing D move … free up your teammates. If the dodging player can make a good shot off the dodge, great. If they can make a good pass off a dodge, terrific. But drawing a double or triple or quadruple team isn’t a problem with aggressive dodging … IT IS THE POINT OF AGGRESSIVE DODGING. That frees up space for cutting teammates to receive a pass. It forces teams that are hesitant to slide to slide. Once you get an opposing D to move, that opens things up for the O.

So, why is it ok for Hopkins to have an aggressive D while the O is so conservative and risk adverse?

The Hopkins O needs to ramp up the aggression and stop being so conservative. QK is practically yelling at them about this. So am I. What’s up with the rest of you?

I can tell you this … none of the Final Four teams made it to Philadelphia by playing it safe, not even Tillman’s Terps.

DocBarrister
There is a difference between dodging to draw the slide and moving the ball to the open man and running into a triple team and getting stripped of the ball.
wgdsr

Re: Aggressive on D … why so conservative on O?

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:46 pm One thing that has been frustrating regarding the discussion here is why folks are so accepting of an aggressive, high risk/high reward D and are so resistant to an aggressive, high risk/high reward O?

DocBarrister
There is a difference between dodging to draw the slide and moving the ball to the open man and running into a triple team and getting stripped of the ball.
he counts them all the same. makes it very confusing.

i do love it when high-priced attys call it risk aDverse. chuckle every time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Man even when you put the guy on ignore you can't escape it. Make it stop
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ty Xanders @tyxanders @JHUmenslacrosse rising junior attackman Koleton Marquis has entered the portal, per a source. IL's former No. 59 recruit appeared in four games as a freshman, playing on the Jays' EMO during the postseason. He posted 160 points playing box last summer for the
@JrANorthmen

-----------
Off the top of my head the most notable loss since zinn/murphy. Quite a long period without a defection.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

DocBarrister

Collison would benefit developing a right hand. Then he will be the scariest player on Hopkins. Dude is huge and has a cannon but seemed like in playoffs defenses were focused on taking away his left and that alley shot he likes
coda

Post by coda »

masondixonlax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:39 pm

DocBarrister

Collison would benefit developing a right hand. Then he will be the scariest player on Hopkins. Dude is huge and has a cannon but seemed like in playoffs defenses were focused on taking away his left and that alley shot he likes
Canadian , not a lot of them have a good off hand. John Grant JR still doesnt have an off-hand, but his BTB is as good as most off-hands.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”