D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: House v NCAA

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:02 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:36 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:15 pm From what I have seen the immediate impact for lacrosse could be
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I have a hard time seeing schools adding lacrosse scholarships but the roster limits I think could benefit the competitiveness of d1. Instead of Hopkins and Syracuse hoarding players those last guys are available for other schools.
Pretty obvious to me that the NCAA can't limit scholarships post NCAA v. Alston.

The question is: when do the athletes and/or smart Athletic Directors figure this out?
So every participant for every sport will be on scholarship?
depends on hoo is at the negotiating table. nil is/has been a placeholder. things are moving even faster than i was expecting. when we get to collective bargaining (there will be leaks), we'll have some more defined possible outcomes.
That is what I am waiting for. Something rational will come out of it unless Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey etc collectively bargains their own deal. If so, I can see non revenue/olympic sports following a D3 model. Are we also saying D3 schools will have to pay all their athletes also?
Speaking for myself....all you have to do is look at ordinary students. Can the NCAA or some other entity prevent, for example, UVa from cutting a check to an honors kid for $10K? No, right? Apply that to students who plays sports. The Engineering Dept. at UMich can hand out all the scholarshiops they want, right?

It's not about forcing schools to do something. The SCOTUS is telling the NCAA that THEY can't tell students (Americans) what they can and can't earn.

The rest of the stuff? Unions, collective bargaining, revenue v. non-revenue sports? I've got nothing. No clue what will happen.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:34 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:15 pm From what I have seen the immediate impact for lacrosse could be
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I have a hard time seeing schools adding lacrosse scholarships but the roster limits I think could benefit the competitiveness of d1. Instead of Hopkins and Syracuse hoarding players those last guys are available for other schools.
Pretty obvious to me that the NCAA can't limit scholarships post NCAA v. Alston.

The question is: when do the athletes and/or smart Athletic Directors figure this out?
depends on hoo is at the negotiating table. nil is/has been a placeholder. things are moving even faster than i was expecting. when we get to collective bargaining (there will be leaks), we'll have some more defined possible outcomes.
That is what I am waiting for. Something rational will come out of it unless Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey etc collectively bargains their own deal. If so, I can see non revenue/olympic sports following a D3 model. Are we also saying D3 schools will have to pay all their athletes also?
Speaking for myself....all you have to do is look at ordinary students. Can the NCAA or some other entity prevent, for example, UVa from cutting a check to an honors kid for $10K? No, right? Apply that to students who plays sports. The Engineering Dept. at UMich can hand out all the scholarshiops they want, right?

It's not about forcing schools to do something. The SCOTUS is telling the NCAA that THEY can't tell students (Americans) what they can and can't earn.

The rest of the stuff? Unions, collective bargaining, revenue v. non-revenue sports? I've got nothing. No clue what will happen.
this ^^^^^.
and not only is no one going to be told what they can't do (within whatever limits), but no one is going to be told what they have to do either. on certain things, anyway. still have to have the appearance on growing women's opportunities and resources, etc.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:45 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

this ^^^^^.
and not only is no one going to be told what they can't do (within whatever limits), but no one is going to be told what they have to do either. on certain things, anyway. still have to have the appearance on growing women's opportunities and resources, etc.
I'm waiting for a program like Hopkins to figure out that they can hand out lacrosse scholarships for 1,000 kids if they want, and there's not thing one the NCAA can do about it.

Same goes for the football schools. What happens when Alabama hands out 200 football scholarships? All I know is that the NCAA can't stop them from doing that. Uncharted waters......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

Pretty sure you can tell people what they can earn. They can go down the street if they don’t like it. Not sure how you force schools to offer scholarships and pay students. I don’t know of a single professional sports league that’s a “free market”.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

. . . And in regards to collective bargaining, it is not an option for student-athletes unless they are considered employees under the law. As of yet, there is nothing I have seen to indicate scholarship athletes are employees.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:16 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

Pretty sure you can tell people what they can earn. They can go down the street if they don’t like it. Not sure how you force schools to offer scholarships and pay students. I don’t know of a single professional sports league that’s a “free market”.
What I said was: the NCAA can't LIMIT what people earn, per SCOTUS, unanimous decision.

Frankly, since I'm not a lawyer, I don't understand how salary caps are legal for NBA et. al. I'm sure a lawyer around here can explain how that works in US law.

I'm not saying that you can force schools to hand them out. I'm saying nothing is STOPPING.... to keep it to lacrosse.... Syracuse's lacrosse program from handing out 40 full rides if they want to....per SCOTUS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NovaLax17 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:42 pm . . . And in regards to collective bargaining, it is not an option for student-athletes unless they are considered employees under the law. As of yet, there is nothing I have seen to indicate scholarship athletes are employees.
Dartmouth basketball players deemed ‘employees’ under the National Labor Relations Act

https://www.mcafeetaft.com/dartmouth-ba ... tions-act/
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:16 pm Pretty sure you can tell people what they can earn. They can go down the street if they don’t like it.
Not if collusion is involved between employers....which is what the NCAA is trying to do.

Here's an example:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Four major tech companies including Apple and Google have agreed to settle a lawsuit accusing them of conspiring to hold down salaries in Silicon Valley, just weeks before a high profile trial had been scheduled to begin.
The settlement was disclosed in a court filing on Thursday, which did not spell out terms. The case has been closely watched due to the potentially high damages award and a steady disclosure of emails in which Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt and some of their Silicon Valley rivals hatched plans to avoid poaching each other's prized engineers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04 ... 120140424/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NovaLax17 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:42 pm . . . And in regards to collective bargaining, it is not an option for student-athletes unless they are considered employees under the law. As of yet, there is nothing I have seen to indicate scholarship athletes are employees.
yes. but we're talking about tipping points. they will happen eventually.
an example: football teams in the b1g see their ath departments making $150- 350 million depending on the school in revenue. most from football. they organize and are ready to hold out. now what?

this is all if it comes to that. i think everybody understands we will get there if we have to. it's like a game of chicken.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:48 pm
Dartmouth basketball players deemed ‘employees’ under the National Labor Relations Act

i mean, yeah, but that wasn't a court ruling. actually don't think it sends the wind in any direction.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:47 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

What I said was: the NCAA can't LIMIT what people earn, per SCOTUS, unanimous decision.

Frankly, since I'm not a lawyer, I don't understand how salary caps are legal for NBA et. al. I'm sure a lawyer around here can explain how that works in US law.

I'm not saying that you can force schools to hand them out. I'm saying nothing is STOPPING.... to keep it to lacrosse.... Syracuse's lacrosse program from handing out 40 full rides if they want to....per SCOTUS.
The NCAA enforcement arm is dead right now. NIL isn’t supposed to be a recruiting inducement but it is because there is no enforcement. What’s keeping Syracuse from offering 40 full rides is economic reality. I am going to see my friend that runs an NIL cooperative in two weeks. I am going to ask him if he expects the University to take the governor off. I would let all the air out of the balloon and I have had this position for years. If kids don’t understand the value of a college scholarship and the network, they can find something else to do.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:56 pm

i mean, yeah, but that wasn't a court ruling. actually don't think it sends the wind in any direction.
Starts the ball rolling, at the very least. Was just trying to answer his question, and I remembered this story.

Nova: I'm not a lawyer. So take my posts with that in mind.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:57 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

The NCAA enforcement arm is dead right now. NIL isn’t supposed to be a recruiting inducement but it is because there is no enforcement. What’s keeping Syracuse from offering 40 full rides is economic reality. I am going to see my friend that runs an NIL cooperative in two weeks. I am going to ask him if he expects the University to take the governor off. I would let all the air out of the balloon and I have had this position for years. If kids don’t understand the value of a college scholarship and the network, they can find something else to do.
you are old school. at least the ivies didn't fold post-covid, as expected.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:58 pm

Starts the ball rolling, at the very least. Was just trying to answer his question, and I remembered this story.

i don't agree!!! makes the world go 'round.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:00 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I am. I understand the value of a quality education versus cash in hand. I would not mind seeing some kind of wage scale but I am not making college kids rich. If that’s the case they can pay tuition and room and board out of their salary. Football is the only sport where opportunities to play professionally right out of high school don’t exist. Maybe that new league can be a feeder to the NFL.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:58 pm

I briefly read about the NLRB determination previously, but note that the Board ruled about non-scholarship student athletes, not scholarship athletes.
This will create all sorts of bad decisions and subsequent lawsuits.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:04 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

I am. I understand the value of a quality education versus cash in hand. I would not mind seeing some kind of wage scale but I am not making college kids rich. If that’s the case they can pay tuition and room and board out of their salary. Football is the only sport where opportunities to play professionally right out of high school don’t exist. Maybe that new league can be a feeder to the NFL.
They already let the horse out of the barn with me when they let kids attend schools where there is NO WAY they'd get admitted to if they couldn't catch a ball, or run track and field well, etc. I find the idea that a kid that was born into a 6' 6" frame gets into a college, while a kid with a far better GPA and academic record doesn't.... is flawed, at the very least. Doubly so when we're talking Government-run State Universities.

And back in the days of John Wooden, professors still made more than coaches did, and there was at least the patina of amateurism in place.

Now that everyone is making money for BB and Football....including a whole mess of middle men.....it's just not right for everyone to get paid but the players.

That said, I think it's full on un-American to not let an American charge what the market will bear for honest, legal work. America is built on this idea.

Just my opinion.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:04 pm
-roster limits
-unlimited scholarships

They already let the horse out of the barn with me when they let kids attend schools where there is NO WAY they'd get admitted to if they couldn't catch a ball, or run track and field well, etc. I find the idea that a kid that was born into a 6' 6" frame gets into a college, while a kid with a far better GPA and academic record doesn't.... is flawed, at the very least. Doubly so when we're talking Government-run State Universities.

And back in the days of John Wooden, professors still made more than coaches did, and there was at least the patina of amateurism in place.

Now that everyone is making money for BB and Football....including a whole mess of middle men.....it's just not right for everyone to get paid but the players.

That said, I think it's full on un-American to not let an American charge what the market will bear for honest, legal work. America is built on this idea.

Just my opinion.
Prop 48 is long gone. Nobody gets into any of these schools that don’t meet admissions standards. A better GPA and “academic record” can be bought or managed up. I am a product of one of the worst school districts in the country…. Pretty sure private school then boarding school kids I went to college with looked better on paper. Did better than a lot of them in school and then afterwards.

Not everyone is making money with every college football and basketball program in the country.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

https://www.insidehighered.com/opinion/ ... ue-opinion
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

They need not be "scholarship athletes" to be employees according to the lawsuit at Dartmouth and the NLRB ruling regarding them forming a union.

https://www.troutman.com/insights/nlrb- ... oyees.html

The answer to the coming chaos would be a player's union that represented the interests of all the athletes in a cohesive fashion, bargaining with the employers, whether as individual institutions, leagues, NCAA or other organizing voluntary body.

The union can bargain for various benefits for all players such as healthcare, safety, etc, as well as differentiated 'pay' rates based upon whatever organizing principle they deem appropriate and negotiated in good faith with the counterparty 'employers'.

This could take into account various aspects like D1, D2, D3, club leagues, etc and it could take into account bonus structures for top players, minimums and maximums per team, high revenue and low revenue sports, and any other matter which the parties agree is in the interest of the overall.

It would be complicated, but would ultimately result in an organized approach that has some predictability.

That said, I could see the football world having a separate union and organizing groups on the employer side.
Typical Lax Dad

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”