Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:23 am Having said all that, I don't think high school highlights are always a good indication.
This is probably the most important point - recruiting/highlight videos are close to useless - maybe you can remove the word "close". By sheer definition it's the "highlights" - 20 or so high school games and a mind numbing number of summer fall circuit games which may be against inferior or not as well organized teams. Also could be the 6th game of the day in the heat and the opponents are tired and Jimmy and Joey - playing on a good team - didn't have to play as much. Didn't get to see the time the subject had a wide open look and blew the ball 10 feet over the goal or got his pocket picked out front trying to dodge.

FWIW - I just watched a Gary Gait highlight video - about 3 minutes - every goal was left handed except ironically the most famous one.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

My biggest thing about one handedness is really more about the potentially problematic nature of having too many of those players on the offensive end together at once and how that can hinder an offensive set if you're lacking in balance due to that. Not really any different from having too many guys with a skill set that fit the same offensive role as shooter vs dodger, etc. You always need a mix or at the very least people that are good enough playing "out of position" to make it work and that's really the question. Does your offensive spacing and ability completely fall apart when a guy who "should be" on the left side finds himself on the right side after some cuts and picks? How many of those guys are out there and do we need to reset back to where everyone is comfortable before attacking with the next dodge?

As a dodger it is much more serviceable as long as you are able to actually go any direction; the problem is really just with predictability with regards to your moves. The token move of an all left player switching to his right hand before initiating a dodge from the restraining line isn't going to really work in D1 with any amount of scouting and planning ahead from the opposing staff. When everyone in the stands and watching at home even knows you're just going to split dodge or roll back to your left because the right is just for show that's a problem. You need to be able to go to and be dangerous from the "wrong" part of the field.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:09 pm How important is it for people to have a strong shot on their off hand? I'm looking at the recruit videos and I can't even find a shot from their weak hand.
I always thought it was a bit over-valued. Studies have shown getting the stick to the inside is a better percentage shot. For step downs how you catch the ball can dramatically minimize the time to shoot (not optimal to catch left and then shoot right). Always thought the key was you needed to be able to dodge and shoot on the run with your weak hand enough to make your defender respect it. If not, he will just sit on your strong hand. The downside of a team with strong hand tendencies is you lose flexibility. You defined roles.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:38 pm Yeah with the incredibly imperfect data in only really having seen a handful of game highlights and highlight reels many of which are a year or more old there isn't a ton you can really know for sure of unless you're way more involved in the high school scene.

Gregorek is exciting because he just seems like a hard nosed do-it-all type guy that you can put anywhere on the field and he'll get the job done. He does however seem to not have a left hand at all.

McCleary is a nice horse on the offensive end with certainly a preference for his left but maybe isn't entirely one handed. Seems to not shy away from the bigger moments as well.

Both of these guys look to be able to shake defenders and get their hands free with strong shots and while on the run. But high school isn't D1 and as discussed there is plenty of talent that was riding the pine last year and being seasoned. This fall should hopefully be exciting.
I thought one of the areas of real progress was the Jay Dyer folder of the kids athleticism/physicality/quickness. He's got his work cut out for him over the next 9 months not only with the new kids, but the younger players who are going to have expanded roles next year potentially. Ayers and Chauvette for example.

Looking at the schedule there's 8 road games and 5 home games if they keep the same opponents. Syracuse should be a road game next year. It was a neutral game this year I think because Syracuse didn't want to play 3 in 4 at homewood after their 2021 home date was cancelled. Having 6 road games against ncaa tournament teams is going to be a real test. I guess for the budget Maryland/Navy/Towson/Loyola all don't require hotel rooms or flights. 9 games potentially in the state of Maryland, nice side perk of being in Baltimore.

Away Denver Towson Loyola Syracuse Navy Michigan Penn State Maryland
Home Georgetown UNC UVA Ohio State Rutgers.
coda

Post by coda »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:37 am
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:38 pm Yeah with the incredibly imperfect data in only really having seen a handful of game highlights and highlight reels many of which are a year or more old there isn't a ton you can really know for sure of unless you're way more involved in the high school scene.

Gregorek is exciting because he just seems like a hard nosed do-it-all type guy that you can put anywhere on the field and he'll get the job done. He does however seem to not have a left hand at all.

McCleary is a nice horse on the offensive end with certainly a preference for his left but maybe isn't entirely one handed. Seems to not shy away from the bigger moments as well.

Both of these guys look to be able to shake defenders and get their hands free with strong shots and while on the run. But high school isn't D1 and as discussed there is plenty of talent that was riding the pine last year and being seasoned. This fall should hopefully be exciting.
I thought one of the areas of real progress was the Jay Dyer folder of the kids athleticism/physicality/quickness. He's got his work cut out for him over the next 9 months not only with the new kids, but the younger players who are going to have expanded roles next year potentially. Ayers and Chauvette for example.

Looking at the schedule there's 8 road games and 5 home games if they keep the same opponents. Syracuse should be a road game next year. It was a neutral game this year I think because Syracuse didn't want to play 3 in 4 at homewood after their 2021 home date was cancelled. Having 6 road games against ncaa tournament teams is going to be a real test. I guess for the budget Maryland/Navy/Towson/Loyola all don't require hotel rooms or flights. 9 games potentially in the state of Maryland, nice side perk of being in Baltimore.

Chauvette is going to be Chauvette. He has that lefty shot and that is pretty much what you get. He isnt a dodger. Can work on his passing, but he is kind of limited player. He is the obvious heir apparent to Degnon. That is his perfect role. That was the big reason I was in this thread prior to the season doubting he would make a big impact as a freshman. Hopkins already had the 25 year old version of him on the team. It is tough to put 2 guys with limited skill sets, albeit a great singular skill set, on the field at the same and maintain balance on offense.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:47 pm

IL says his D needs work … I’m sure JK can fix whatever issues are there.
Who cares if his defense needs work. I'm sure he'll get caught on defense once or twice but at the end of day his primary job is on the other side of the field.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:03 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:47 pm

IL says his D needs work … I’m sure JK can fix whatever issues are there.
Who cares if his defense needs work. I'm sure he'll get caught on defense once or twice but at the end of day his primary job is on the other side of the field.
according to their IL recruiting profiles bauer, grimes, hunter chauvette, ayers, casey mcdermott, cam chauvette were all recruited as attackmen. I'm guessing there's a difference between the athleticism of a recruited middie and a recruited attackmen and I don't remember how many of those kids were recruited as freshmen rather than what we're going to see moving forward.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Casey was all CNY as a midfielder if memory serves and it may not. When i first heard he was committed he was described to me as a middie. Then again Collison was listed at attack and later changed to middie.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:37 am My biggest thing about one handedness is really more about the potentially problematic nature of having too many of those players on the offensive end together at once and how that can hinder an offensive set if you're lacking in balance due to that. Not really any different from having too many guys with a skill set that fit the same offensive role as shooter vs dodger, etc. You always need a mix or at the very least people that are good enough playing "out of position" to make it work and that's really the question. Does your offensive spacing and ability completely fall apart when a guy who "should be" on the left side finds himself on the right side after some cuts and picks? How many of those guys are out there and do we need to reset back to where everyone is comfortable before attacking with the next dodge?

As a dodger it is much more serviceable as long as you are able to actually go any direction; the problem is really just with predictability with regards to your moves. The token move of an all left player switching to his right hand before initiating a dodge from the restraining line isn't going to really work in D1 with any amount of scouting and planning ahead from the opposing staff. When everyone in the stands and watching at home even knows you're just going to split dodge or roll back to your left because the right is just for show that's a problem. You need to be able to go to and be dangerous from the "wrong" part of the field.
Similar thoughts but good insight from you and others who chimed in. The two ways to counter it would be to do pass off to another man getting open if forced to off hand or to switch hands.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:07 pm according to their IL recruiting profiles bauer, grimes, hunter chauvette, ayers, casey mcdermott, cam chauvette were all recruited as attackmen. I'm guessing there's a difference between the athleticism of a recruited middie and a recruited attackmen and I don't remember how many of those kids were recruited as freshmen rather than what we're going to see moving forward.
Bauer/Grimes/McDermott/Chauvette were all recruited by Petro and under the old rules - they were all verified by IL very early in their high school careers
Bauer and Cam Chauvette - July of 2016
McDermott - August of 2016
Grimes - was August 2016 to Ohio State originally and Flipped to Hopkins in 2018

Ayers and Chauvette the Younger were recruited under the new rules so committed as their junior seasons began. Fall 2021 for their 2023 high school class.

It doesn't matter of course but McDermott was listed as Attack in both the IL and NCSA recruting profiles - there's a gazillion highlight videos where you can see him doing a little bit of both. Some might find it interesting that his junior season high school video showed about 10 clips where he caused a turnover on the ride. He apparently was well known for that given one of the IL comment blurbs.

I don't know there's a difference in athleticism necessarily - and now you have the "positionless" offense but I think - as one of the recent posts suggests - its beneficial to have a variety of skills out there and not just 6 converted attackmen - especially if they are all undersized.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

coda wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:46 am

Chauvette is going to be Chauvette. He has that lefty shot and that is pretty much what you get. He isnt a dodger. Can work on his passing, but he is kind of limited player. He is the obvious heir apparent to Degnon. That is his perfect role. That was the big reason I was in this thread prior to the season doubting he would make a big impact as a freshman. Hopkins already had the 25 year old version of him on the team. It is tough to put 2 guys with limited skill sets, albeit a great singular skill set, on the field at the same and maintain balance on offense.
Same used to be said of Degnon. Couldn’t dodge, they said. But Degnon probably had the best dodge of the season for a goal (triple teamed, lost shoe, picked up gb, shot, scored).

Folks said Degnon didn’t have a right hand. But one of his best looking goals was off an alley dodge and a shot with his right hand.

I’m sure Hunter Chauvette can dodge and shoot with his right hand. He may need to develop those skills, but I am sure he can. Those skills never need to become his bread and butter, but he needs to develop them to keep opposing defenses honest. Develop those skills and opposing Ds won’t be able to sit on his left-handed shot or faceguard him. If he works on his dodging and right-handed shot, it will make his set left-handed shot that much more efficient and lethal.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:01 pm

Same used to be said of Degnon. Couldn’t dodge, they said. But Degnon probably had the best dodge of the season for a goal (triple teamed, lost shoe, picked up gb, shot, scored).

Folks said Degnon didn’t have a right hand. But one of his best looking goals was off an alley dodge and a shot with his right hand.

I’m sure Hunter Chauvette can dodge and shoot with his right hand. He may need to develop those skills, but I am sure he can. Those skills never need to become his bread and butter, but he needs to develop them to keep opposing defenses honest. Develop those skills and opposing Ds won’t be able to sit on his left-handed shot or faceguard him. If he works on his dodging and right-handed shot, it will make his set left-handed shot that much more efficient and lethal.

DocBarrister
and if he works even further on dodging aggressively into triple teams, losing the ball and his shoe, getting at least the ball back, and then scoring, hopkins will really have something and chauvette maybe the dodge of the year.

doc, i could not resist.
#drawitupinthedirt
#nothingwrongwithaggressivedodgingintotripleteams
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1Fzh8EH0I

Yeah - not having a right hand really hurts development and the ability to contribute

Hunter Chauvette does not need to dodge or shoot right handed - he needs others to dodge that are a threat and give him the ball
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:46 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1Fzh8EH0I

Yeah - not having a right hand really hurts development and the ability to contribute

Hunter Chauvette does not need to dodge or shoot right handed - he needs others to dodge that are a threat and give him the ball
Yes, this team needs an attackman that can get his own shot. Weakhand or not. Melendez has shown that in the past and angelus ofcourse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:21 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:46 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1Fzh8EH0I

Yes, this team needs an attackman that can get his own shot. Weakhand or not. Melendez has shown that in the past and angelus ofcourse.
Ayers absolutely can, and will only get better — but needs to work on his finishing. Lot of times this year he dodged to the middle with his hands free but lobbed an easy one for the goalie. You can improve your shooting, but can't teach that speed or first step.

If Ayers can make the sophomore leap and Melendez comes back closer to his '23 form, the attack could be quite good. That's a lot of "ifs," but you don't need to strain too hard to see the best-case scenario. I am very much looking forward to the idea of Chauvette shooting it 100+ times instead of 40.

What the offense loses in sheer size with Degnon/Peshko/Grimes leaving, think it makes up for it with more speed and athleticism in the form of English, McCleary, Hackler, and others in the freshman and sophomore classes (Iler hopefully). "Speed kills" is one of those cliches that is often true — the offense was big this year but not necessarily fast. It's gonna be faster in 2025.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:17 pm

DocBarrister
and if he works even further on dodging aggressively into triple teams, losing the ball and his shoe, getting at least the ball back, and then scoring, hopkins will really have something and chauvette maybe the dodge of the year.

doc, i could not resist.
#drawitupinthedirt
Aggressive dodging goes a long way.

Are you going to tell me the ancient Iroquois and other Native Americans didn’t dodge aggressively?

Lacrosse was described as the first contact sport.

Despite the peacemaking and spiritual intentions of the game, the game itself was quite physical.

The Haudenosaunee name for lacrosse is gajihgwa'ee (gah-jee-GWA-eh), according to Turner. While the name translates a little differently among the Haudenosaunee's six languages, it roughly translates to "they're bumping hips."

"It's the original contact sport," Turner said. "That's how they described [it] because they were constantly bumping hips, trying to knock the ball out of the possessor."

https://www.foxweather.com/lifestyle/la ... saunee.amp

Does that sound like minimally invasive Tulip Ball to you?

So yeah … if a Hopkins player dodges hard into a f*cking triple team, gets pounded, loses his shoe, then the ball, picks up the d*mn ball, shoots, and scores, then I’m going to nod my head and enjoy the whole thing on replay … because that is how the game is supposed to be played.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:07 pm

DocBarrister

doc, i could not resist.
#drawitupinthedirt

Are you going to tell me the ancient Iroquois and other Native Americans didn’t dodge aggressively?

Despite the peacemaking and spiritual intentions of the game, the game itself was quite physical.

The Haudenosaunee name for lacrosse is gajihgwa'ee (gah-jee-GWA-eh), according to Turner. While the name translates a little differently among the Haudenosaunee's six languages, it roughly translates to "they're bumping hips."

"It's the original contact sport," Turner said. "That's how they described [it] because they were constantly bumping hips, trying to knock the ball out of the possessor."

So yeah … if a Hopkins player dodges hard into a f*cking triple team, gets pounded, loses his shoe, then the ball, picks up the d*mn ball, shoots, and scores, then I’m going to nod my head and enjoy the whole thing on replay … because that is how the game is supposed to be played.

DocBarrister 8-)
classic.
i have no intention of trying to dissuade you of the "aggressively dodging into triple teams is good" mantra. i will note, iroquois, haudenosaunee fields were sometimes a mile long and games lasted for days. not a lot of triple teams.

to chauvette and him dodging hard righty into slides instead of ripping from 12.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

:?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:48 pm
norcalhop wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:21 pm

Ayers absolutely can, and will only get better — but needs to work on his finishing. Lot of times this year he dodged to the middle with his hands free but lobbed an easy one for the goalie. You can improve your shooting, but can't teach that speed or first step.

If Ayers can make the sophomore leap and Melendez comes back closer to his '23 form, the attack could be quite good. That's a lot of "ifs," but you don't need to strain too hard to see the best-case scenario. I am very much looking forward to the idea of Chauvette shooting it 100+ times instead of 40.

What the offense loses in sheer size with Degnon/Peshko/Grimes leaving, think it makes up for it with more speed and athleticism in the form of English, McCleary, Hackler, and others in the freshman and sophomore classes (Iler hopefully). "Speed kills" is one of those cliches that is often true — the offense was big this year but not necessarily fast. It's gonna be faster in 2025.
I would think that natural midfielders instead of attackmen playing midfield would mean more groundballs and higher percentage shots closer to the goal. On the other hand grimes/peshko etc had decent outside shots.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:07 pm

DocBarrister

doc, i could not resist.
#drawitupinthedirt

DocBarrister 8-)
classic.
i have no intention of trying to dissuade you of the "aggressively dodging into triple teams is good" mantra. i will note, iroquois, haudenosaunee fields were sometimes a mile long and games lasted for days. not a lot of triple teams.

to chauvette and him dodging hard righty into slides instead of ripping from 12.
During the season, we saw Bauer dodge into a quadruple team (four opposing defenders move towards him) before dishing to a wide open Collison. In another play, Bauer dodged from the wing, with two defenders chasing him and pulling a third from Peshko, who drifted away to receive Bauer’s pass.

It works, but the Blue Jays don’t do it enough.

Collison dodged hard into a triple team and dished to Degnon for the most spectacular assist of the season.

A Denver middie dodged hard against Beau Pederson and then scored while running into a triple team.

Blue Jays know how to dodge hard, they just didn’t do it often enough. Running into triple or even quadruple team is fine as long as you know what to do with the ball and the offensive spacing and positioning is good for a pass or a shot.

Blue Jays underutilized their big middies (not enough dodges) and did too much perimeter passing that did not get the opposing D moving. More aggressive dodging would have gotten the opposing D moving more, making off-ball cuts more effective. Just way too much reliance on guys like Bauer and Ayers. Too much reliance on speed dodges and not enough power dodging.

If anyone thinks Collison should just continue passing the ball to Bauer and setting picks for him … say so here. I think many here believe Collison has first team AA potential. Passing the ball to a teammate guarded by a long pole and setting picks for the teammate is not what a first team AA midfielder does.

Again, I’m not the only one who thinks the Hopkins O is not aggressive enough. QK tagged it “minimally invasive.” And let’s face it … despite the animosity towards Quint, he knows lacrosse better than anyone here.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”