PLL 2024

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Lax Mouse

Re: PLL 2024

Post by Lax Mouse »

Possession differential has been a huge factor. Dobson has been a brick wall and Dillon Ward has not looked great, but I think both are partly due to the quality of looks each team is getting.

Brandau gets his first after a loose ball with under 2 seconds left in the quarter.

9-4 Archers at the half.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

3rd quarter started the same with a 2pt goal from Schreiber followed immediately by a long 1pt from Leclaire. Archers were up 12-4 but 4 straight from Philly has this down to 12-8 going into Q4. This game is far from over. Ward has looked better and the Dogs defense has tightened up.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

One goal game with 5 minutes left after Witcher's second goal in transition. 12-11.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Wow. Crazy ending. Waterdogs had a man-up with 30 seconds left, took a bad shot and lost it. Got it back and had two clean looks with 5 seconds left. Dobson stuffed both and the Archers hung on to win 12-11.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Dobson is probably right there with Riordan as far as being the best tender in game . He was the difference in this game with assist from Sisselberger who dominated face-offs . on the other hand vet Ward had a terrible 1h but did bounce back in 2h as did Dogs D who were rather lethargic in 1h.

Good to see a healthy Ament and ex Chaos Fields and OKeefe are a potent lefty combo. All three had strong 1h before Dogs D swarmed quieted.

Physical and sloppy game . Archers young dm's are very good but their D otherwise underwhelmed

Different outcome than I expected but still see Dogs as stronger team, just couldn't start out so slow agaisnt a team with a top fight goalie and fogo.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

stupefied wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:31 pm Dobson is probably right there with Riordan as far as being the best tender in game . He was the difference in this game with assist from Sisselberger who dominated face-offs . on the other hand vet Ward had a terrible 1h but did bounce back in 2h as did Dogs D who were rather lethargic in 1h.

Good to see a healthy Ament and ex Chaos Fields and OKeefe are a potent lefty combo. All three had strong 1h before Dogs D swarmed quieted.

Physical and sloppy game . Archers young dm's are very good but their D otherwise underwhelmed

Different outcome than I expected but still see Dogs as stronger team, just couldn't start out so slow agaisnt a team with a top fight goalie and fogo.
Yeah, the game was a good reminder of just how lethal the Archers offense is. I know they're going to bring back Stathakis once he finishes his grad program but I don't think that the Dogs can wait that long. Naso, Ignacio, Weitfeldt, Phaup, and maybe? Kohn are all in the player pool. Curious to see how the lack of a FO guy affects the Cannons later today.

Tough to see Sabia go down but hopefully it's not a long term injury. They've got options though with Mercurio and Mazzone if it is.

Agree that I was not impressed with the Archers defense. Dobson bailed them out as did a tilted field due to Sisselberger.

It's the first game so both teams will have time to adjust and get better. I also agree that I think the Waterdogs have a higher ceiling but this game just goes to show how close these teams are to each other. Take a half off against anyone and you're going to be in trouble.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Injuries suck. Hope Sabia is fine, strangely Dogs d appeared to play better after he went out.

Atlas will be improved and presently up 2-1 but I expect them to start season with 0-2 record as I expect Cannons to win this game because they are very good then also expect Atlas to lose tomorrow because their legs will be dead playing two games within 24 hrs

Every weekend home teams playing two back to back games will be a huge disadvantage with rosters limited to 19
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

stupefied wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:06 pm Injuries suck. Hope Sabia is fine, strangely Dogs d appeared to play better after he went out.

Atlas will be improved and presently up 2-1 but I expect them to start season with 0-2 record as I expect Cannons to win this game because they are very good then also expect Atlas to lose tomorrow because their legs will be dead playing two games within 24 hrs

Every weekend home teams playing two back to back games will be a huge disadvantage with rosters limited to 19
I definitely have some choice thoughts about this "home team" structure this year as well. While I have warmed to the teams having home cities, this is not my first choice of how to go about it. The back to back games, teams having bye weeks at the start and end of the season, it all seems not optimal.

Atlas up 6-5 after Q1. Shellenberger with 4 points (1g 3A) has the Atlas offense looking dangerous.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Gonna miss 2h because wife said enuff is enuff lol. Cant expect Adler to cover Nolting, Asher is tremendous talent but honestly could shed to be at best. nm
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Atlas up 9-8 at the half.

Shellenberger has been as advertised as Dickson got going at the end of Q2. Aitken had their first goal, crazy to think about what this offense will do should Cormier join the fray.

Cannons have kept pace but many of their goals have been in slightly unsettled situations. Nolting bullied his way in for one as well. PKav with an assist but he's been running out of the box.

Exciting game so far!
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Fight just broke out. Matt Kavanagh threw three punches. So naturally the Atlas get two players sent to the box and Kav only gets a minute penalty.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

End of Q3 and Atlas up 16-11. Their offense looks completely rejuvenated with Shellenberger. They're getting good contributions from Jacoby and Bowering as well. Gotta wonder what the future is for players like Jones and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Costabile with the new direction of this offense. I think Costabile's spot is certainly more secure.

Cannons may also be in the market for a competitive FO option after this game. Their new look defense has not looked good. Epple has been beat clean a few times.

That being said, as the last game proved, everything can turn on its head in a quarter.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

And just like that, Costabile scores off a feed from Teat
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Atlas win 19-12.

A surprising day of results for sure. I think the first game could've been different had the faceoffs been competitive, not so sure about the second (though I think the Cannons do clearly need to address it).

The new look Atlas offense was electric. Shellenberger (3g 5a) not only made an immediate, direct impact, but his presence allowed Teat (4g 7a) to play a complementary style of lacrosse. They took pressure off of each other and were able to play confidently and effectively. Troutner (54%) gave them something they desperately needed a season ago - a goalie who can go beyond the routine saves. The job is still likely Entenmann's for the long term, but Troutner's presence will allow the team to be patient and get him up to speed. Although there is a chance they give Entenmann the reigns tomorrow to see what he's got.

The Cannons should be okay, but all the new pieces on defense need time still to learn and come together. They didn't play like a unit today.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A beautiful day in Albany with relatively empty stands unfortunately. If the PLL had done a little homework they would have known that the NY State high school lacrosse playoff games were today. I'm pretty sure this cut into attendance . Too bad, as there was some really good lacrosse played today.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:27 pm A beautiful day in Albany with relatively empty stands unfortunately. If the PLL had done a little homework they would have known that the NY State high school lacrosse playoff games were today. I'm pretty sure this cut into attendance . Too bad, as there was some really good lacrosse played today.
Good point
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Carolina beat Denver 16-11. I was only able to tune in for the 4th so missed a bunch. Hope Riorden's injury isn't serious. Kaut looked good in relief in the fourth. Very balanced offensive effort from the Chaos.

Wierman had a great debut for Denver, but it seems like their offense is still incredibly underwhelming. O'Neill out of the box at midfield is a choice. Wisnauskas looked good but Brendan has to be more involved. The offense has a lot of new faces, but it did not look good today.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

What's the story with Shellenberger?
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

stupefied wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:43 pm What's the story with Shellenberger?
Sounds like he's out today with a groin injury. Nothing I've seen indicates it'll be a long term thing, probably just precautionary after a long college season and a weekend double header. Molloy is in for him and this Atlas offense has not missed a beat. Up 6-0 halfway through Q1.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

7-1 Atlas after Q1.

Troutner has been lights out again and the Atlas O is getting goals before the fatigue sets in.

Bernlohr already pulled. Whipsnakes defense seems unsettled with some new pieces, not terribly surprising since Zappitello has had limited practice time with the team. I'm interested to see how their SsDM depth will hold up over the rest of the game.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”