The numbers from the Final

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: The numbers from the Final

Post by njbill »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:27 am Do a four year rotation- Boston, Philly/NJ , Balt/DC and then have the fourth in non-traditional places like Chicago, Atlanta, Cincy/Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, etc.
I would replace Boston with LI in that rotation. Nobody likes to drive to LI but it is the largest hot bed and, in fairness, deserves to get the FF on a regular basis. Boston is not a hot bed.

Agree about a trial rotation in other places (Phoenix is too hot).
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:02 am
laxfan9999 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:27 am Do a four year rotation- Boston, Philly/NJ , Balt/DC and then have the fourth in non-traditional places like Chicago, Atlanta, Cincy/Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, etc.
I would replace Boston with LI in that rotation. Nobody likes to drive to LI but it is the largest hot bed and, in fairness, deserves to get the FF on a regular basis. Boston is not a hot bed.

Long Island on MDW, no less
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:12 am The Philly area, and a smaller venue, has always seemed like the place to be for the women's final(s). Draw from NY, NJ, Delaware, PA, and more of Delmarva. The 2013 semis and finals were played at Villanova, I think, and 2015 was played in Chester, PA, at PPL Park. Just seemed like these were good venues and good locations in relation to the ardent fan base.
I agree in priniciple. the problem is any state north of Maryland is still in playoffs championship weekend so you will never optimize attendance because girls/families will likely prioritze seeing their local team/playing in a sectional final or state championship. The edge Maryland has is that it has a short lax season which ends early (especially for IAAM).

I agree the DMV should be the permanent location for the finals, but would challenge that there are better locations available than Homewood. I actually think Audi Field could be the ideal venue.
Have you been to Audi field? Went there for the MD/UVA men's game last year and it was an absolute disaster.
Yes. Have been to MLS games with 13-14k attendance and no issues beyond typical DMV traffic.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

njbill wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:02 am

Problem with LI is that you are competing with section finals on Friday of final four games. Attendance would not be what you think it would be. If they moved the tourney back a week, then I would agree completely.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Doesn't that depend on when Memorial Day Weekend is? Some years it is earlier, some years later, like this year.

LI has had the FF several times in the past so any scheduling conflicts with HS games evidently weren't reason enough not to have the FF.

Conflicts with HS games aren't unique to the Island of course. Playoffs are going on everywhere north of Md. I know I have had to tape FF games in the past because of conflicting NJ playoff games.

But yes, I agree. NY could move its HS playoffs, say, to Saturday, or back a week, or to some other date in the comparatively few years the FF would be on the Island.

I'm not making a case for the Island because I live there or because it would be convenient for me. I don't and it wouldn't be. I live near Philly so, selfishly, I'd like the FF to be near here.

But, given that more lax is played on the Island than anywhere else, I think they have a very valid argument that they should be in the regular rotation to host the FF.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

njbill wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:42 pm Doesn't that depend on when Memorial Day Weekend is? Some years it is earlier, some years later, like this year.

LI has had the FF several times in the past so any scheduling conflicts with HS games evidently weren't reason enough not to have the FF.

Conflicts with HS games aren't unique to the Island of course. Playoffs are going on everywhere north of Md. I know I have had to tape FF games in the past because of conflicting NJ playoff games.

But yes, I agree. NY could move its HS playoffs, say, to Saturday, or back a week, or to some other date in the comparatively few years the FF would be on the Island.

I'm not making a case for the Island because I live there or because it would be convenient for me. I don't and it wouldn't be. I live near Philly so, selfishly, I'd like the FF to be near here.

But, given that more lax is played on the Island than anywhere else, I think they have a very valid argument that they should be in the regular rotation to host the FF.
I know when it was at SB when JMU won, the teams had to stay a long distance away. Not sure if that was due to just a general lack of hotels or what but JMU stayed like 45 mins from the field.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Girls should be at homewood and men at Navy every year.

Make it happen
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:36 pm Girls should be at homewood and men at Navy every year.

Make it happen
Can’t, Navy Commissioning is that weekend in the stadium
LaxCats27

Post by LaxCats27 »

There just isn't a demand for much lacrosse in Cary, North Carolina, especially considering it's a 10-13 hour drive from most eastern areas where lacrosse is most prevalent. Cool thing about holding it in the mid Atlantic or in New England is that fans from NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, etc... all can make the drive.

Put your championship where people actually care.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxCats27 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:58 pm There just isn't a demand for much lacrosse in Cary, North Carolina, especially considering it's a 10-13 hour drive from most eastern areas where lacrosse is most prevalent. Cool thing about holding it in the mid Atlantic or in New England is that fans from NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, etc... all can make the drive.

Well, not for MD people. Not a terrible drive for us IF 95 in VA isn't a mess (chances are it will be). BUT I do agree. Have it somewhere in MD and north. Homewood was a great atmosphere. And we would have made the drive to Philly had it been there this year.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

spidey44 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:26 am
LaxCats27 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:58 pm There just isn't a demand for much lacrosse in Cary, North Carolina, especially considering it's a 10-13 hour drive from most eastern areas where lacrosse is most prevalent. Cool thing about holding it in the mid Atlantic or in New England is that fans from NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, etc... all can make the drive.

Well, not for MD people. Not a terrible drive for us IF 95 in VA isn't a mess (chances are it will be). BUT I do agree. Have it somewhere in MD and north. Homewood was a great atmosphere. And we would have made the drive to Philly had it been there this year.
"IF 95 in VA isn't a mess" :lol:

I have a rule to never drive through DC again, I95 in Virginia is a nightmare. I know someone who drove through DC on 95 at 3am to avoid the nightmare traffic and they drove 60mph through a 55mph work zone with absolutely no one on the roads or working, they received a camera ticket for the trouble.

lesson is there is never an OK drive on 95 through DC/virginia.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:46 am Here are the attendance numbers from Sunday's Final...4884 attended the Final. Seating Capacity at WakeMed Park, 10,000
And the number for Friday's Final Four was 4308.

I thought the TV coverage was good and solid. Great camera angles and replays.
Simply garbage...but everyone wants to argue the women's game deserves more. I agree it does, but you can't justify it when heading SOUTH and pulling under 5K each day.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:04 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:46 am Here are the attendance numbers from Sunday's Final...4884 attended the Final. Seating Capacity at WakeMed Park, 10,000
And the number for Friday's Final Four was 4308.

I thought the TV coverage was good and solid. Great camera angles and replays.
Simply garbage...but everyone wants to argue the women's game deserves more. I agree it does, but you can't justify it when heading SOUTH and pulling under 5K each day.
BC drew over 4300 on a Thursday afternoon for reg season game v SU after the ACC reg season title had already been decided.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:40 am
spidey44 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:26 am

"IF 95 in VA isn't a mess" :lol:

I have a rule to never drive through DC again, I95 in Virginia is a nightmare. I know someone who drove through DC on 95 at 3am to avoid the nightmare traffic and they drove 60mph through a 55mph work zone with absolutely no one on the roads or working, they received a camera ticket for the trouble.

lesson is there is never an OK drive on 95 through DC/virginia.
First mistake, not driving around the beltway. Avoid DC at all costs. Beltway doesn't go through the city and you avoid those ridiculous DC cameras ($125+ for a camera ticket - I know from experience :evil: ).

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”