Virginia 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
camskidamski

Virginia 2025

Post by camskidamski »

Seeing a bunch of other threads for other programs for looking forward to next season…so here’s a UVA one.

Who’re we excited for to step into some of these holes next year?

Some notable guys coming back:

A - Millon
A - Sunderland (healthy)
A - Boyden (has another year)
A - Mencke

M - Schutz
M - Colsey
M - Terenzi

LSM - Wayer

SSDM - Chizmar
SSDM - Erdmann
SSDM - Burt

D - Schroter
D - Fulton

G - Nunes
G - Morris
ChopMan23

Re: Virginia 2025

Post by ChopMan23 »

Is boyden coming back confirmed? That would be a fun attack unit to watch.
dek

Post by dek »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:40 pm Is boyden coming back confirmed? That would be a fun attack unit to watch.
Not confirmed yet. He has 1 more year of eligibility.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

Was Sunderland hurt this year? I wasn't sure if the lack of playing time was attributable to Millon or something else.
2023 2024
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

camskidamski wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:22 pm Seeing a bunch of other threads for other programs for looking forward to next season…so here’s a UVA one.

A - Millon
A - Sunderland (healthy)
A - Mencke

M - Schutz
M - Colsey
M - Terenzi

LSM - Wayer

SSDM - Chizmar
SSDM - Erdmann
SSDM - Burt

D - Schroter
D - Fulton

G - Nunes
G - Morris
Would add Kology, who has started numerous games at close D , Till at SSDM, who was injured much of this season. The elephant in the room is the 2024 recruiting class, which could arguably be the best one and is loaded. Numerous blue chip players at pole, midfield, and attack are likely to figure throughout the above units
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Is the younger Millon coming in this year or the following? That kid might break into the lineup. Sunderland's injuries have slowed his development for sure.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

How is Boyden eligible? He played 10 games in 2021, 22 in '22, 23 games in '23 (they sure play a lot of games in D3) and then this whole season.

I don't understand this whole eligibility equation
molo

Post by molo »

Sunderland was getting some runs with the second midfield until he was injured. His first year he saw some meaningful minutes ag attack when Dickson ran midfield. I would imagine he’d be competing for time at midfield.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:59 pm Is the younger Millon coming in this year or the following? That kid might break into the lineup. Sunderland's injuries have slowed his development for sure.
Year after

As far as Sunderland goes, I just don't think he has the size. If you're gonna weigh what that dude does, you gotta be like Joey Sankey, Chris Gray fast. He....is not.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:48 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:59 pm Is the younger Millon coming in this year or the following? That kid might break into the lineup. Sunderland's injuries have slowed his development for sure.
Year after

As far as Sunderland goes, I just don't think he has the size. If you're gonna weigh what that dude does, you gotta be like Joey Sankey, Chris Gray fast. He....is not.
Yet he was still ranked the #2 overall recruit in the country by the recruiting gurus. Not an indictment on the kid, he didn't rank himself; just an ongoing observation on the silliness of lacrosse recruiting rankings.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Was that the year where some coaches anonymously commented on the lack of talent even among the top recruits? I remember some year recently they made that comment, probably on a piece by IL. If so, I must say they had a point as even the top ranked that year was underwhelming athletically.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

2023 - so this years incoming freshmen - I believe was the class that coaches felt was most impacted by COVID and they were uncertain of their evals for guys. I think it was because those guys did not have a freshmen season and some maybe had sophomore seasons heavily impacted as well; so when they were committing coaches didn't have nearly as much tape on them

I know Maryland and UVA were two teams quite unsure about that class; Maryland took only 8 commits. UVA took Millon but after that didn't rack up nearly as many of the top names as they usually do

Sunderland was 2022, Spallina's year. Honestly, in hindsight, I think the 2023 class has turned out pretty good. The 2021 and 2022 classes feel a little lighter in comparison. Those guys lost their junior/senior seasons and I think it stunted development for a bit
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Interesting. The 2023s seem plenty skilled and athletic. I still have doubts about some of the top of the previous class. I mean they're good but not amazing.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:48 pm
Year after

Never saw him in high school but heard the hype and then saw him at UVA and this was my exact thought. How does this guy do anything vs D1 poles. Just not big enough or quick enough. With the massive talent UVA pulls in every year, not sure he is ever going to see a lot of the field unless something really changes with his game.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Shelly with 8 points in his debut for the Atlas.. Looked like a vet out there and his game translates really well to the PLL.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:38 pm How is Boyden eligible? He played 10 games in 2021, 22 in '22, 23 games in '23 (they sure play a lot of games in D3) and then this whole season.

The 2021 D3 season did not count towards eligibility. This ruling was specific to D3.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

SouthieLax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:59 pm
keno in reno wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:38 pm How is Boyden eligible? He played 10 games in 2021, 22 in '22, 23 games in '23 (they sure play a lot of games in D3) and then this whole season.

The 2021 D3 season did not count towards eligibility. This ruling was specific to D3.
Interesting. Thanks. As for the other conversations above, the second Millon looks like legit #1 Shellenberger level skill. He's better than his bro from what I've seen.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Yeah, from what I've seen, I agree that the next Millon looks even better.

I'm surprised that I've seen some hestitancy to call Shellenberger the best UVA player of all time, like they will say he's arguably the best. It seems clear to me, both statistically and from his complete game. I don't know who else was better. Steele Stanwick? Shelly had his IQ plus dodging ability.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

camskidamski wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:22 pm Seeing a bunch of other threads for other programs for looking forward to next season…so here’s a UVA one.

A - Millon
A - Sunderland (healthy)
A - Mencke

M - Schutz
M - Colsey
M - Terenzi

LSM - Wayer

SSDM - Chizmar
SSDM - Erdmann
SSDM - Burt

D - Schroter
D - Fulton

G - Nunes
G - Morris
UVA would need Schutz to become more of an alpha. This lineup leaves a lot to be desired (compared to the other Virginia rosters of the Lars era)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gatsby wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:04 pm Yeah, from what I've seen, I agree that the next Millon looks even better.

I'm surprised that I've seen some hestitancy to call Shellenberger the best UVA player of all time, like they will say he's arguably the best. It seems clear to me, both statistically and from his complete game. I don't know who else was better. Steele Stanwick? Shelly had his IQ plus dodging ability.
jay jalbert, wah, connor gill, conrad. list can get longer. even several guys in the 80s, tho as a team never captured a championship. certainly peeps could debate it, as uva has a long rich history as a bunch of programs do.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”