Coaching Carousel 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Leonard Washington »

First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Albertus Magnus College (CT)
Benedictine (IL)
Brockport (NY)
FDU (NJ)
Guilford (NC)
Juniata (PA)
LaGrange (GA)
Northland (WI)
Oglethorpe (GA)
SUNY Potsdam
Rhodes (TN)
Virginia Wesleyan (VA) - Sam Jones (Virginia Wesleyan AC)
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm

A pretty good tool that takes many things into account. Unfortunately, it only looks at private schools.

While your point is valid, I would take these "grades" with a grain of salt. For example, Northland College needed hail mary donations to remain afloat for this year and moving forward. They also recently laid off 9 faculty members. So are they really sitting at C grade or something else entirely...

Agreed; it's as if the grades are a "gentleman's C:" If you got a C, you really got an F. Search for the schools that have closed and see what their grades are.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:17 am https://gopetrels.com/news/2024/5/24/me ... coach.aspx

Oglethorpe (GA) is open
Seemingly revolving door - how long was this most recent coach there? Might say more about the amount of support Oglethorpe is giving the program than anything else.
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

Most D3 coaching jobs are NOT good jobs. They fall under the category of "ath-missions", meaning your #1 job is to increase enrollment for the institution. You're a glorified admissions counselor. Having the facilities, budget, staffing and other resources to run a successful program aren't even factored in by the administration at most schools. As long as you have a full roster and the players, their mommies and daddies don't complain about you, you'll have job security for life. Just don't expect to get a raise or any type of merit based bonus. Many coaches across all divisions have to fundraise for a portion of their operating budget.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Guilford (NC)
Anyone with any intel on these? Where did previous guys go?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

FaceDodge wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:27 pm Most D3 coaching jobs are NOT good jobs. They fall under the category of "ath-missions", meaning your #1 job is to increase enrollment for the institution. You're a glorified admissions counselor. Having the facilities, budget, staffing and other resources to run a successful program aren't even factored in by the administration at most schools. As long as you have a full roster and the players, their mommies and daddies don't complain about you, you'll have job security for life. Just don't expect to get a raise or any type of merit based bonus. Many coaches across all divisions have to fundraise for a portion of their operating budget.
+1...sadly this is correct
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

FaceDodge wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:27 pm Most D3 coaching jobs are NOT good jobs. They fall under the category of "ath-missions", meaning your #1 job is to increase enrollment for the institution. You're a glorified admissions counselor. Having the facilities, budget, staffing and other resources to run a successful program aren't even factored in by the administration at most schools. As long as you have a full roster and the players, their mommies and daddies don't complain about you, you'll have job security for life. Just don't expect to get a raise or any type of merit based bonus. Many coaches across all divisions have to fundraise for a portion of their operating budget.
Yep
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

sguy9 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:32 am
Guilford (NC)
Anyone with any intel on these? Where did previous guys go?
Marty Kelly was technically an "interim" at Guilford, he's not going anywhere.
CNY laxer

Post by CNY laxer »

I believe SUNY Potsdam is looking for a new coach too
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Most avg D3 HC jobs pay around $50K a year with very minimal bonus opportunities. Most of those coaches have to have added responsibilities on campus or within athletics for maybe another $5-$10K if they are lucky.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

NNELax wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:01 am
+2
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

laxfan13 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:05 pm
+2
It's why you see so many HC and assistants either bounce for corporate or try and do the prep school thing.....You don't have to be an accounting/finance major to see 50k isn't enough to start a family....Most try the camp circuit/club/training hustle etc...but eventually the time away from family drags on you....might as well get paid and enjoy your life not shuttling yourself down to the Mid-Atlantic in June/July...I've done it...great in your early 20's...changes when you hit 30
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

NNELax wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:04 am
+2
It's why you see so many HC and assistants either bounce for corporate or try and do the prep school thing.....You don't have to be an accounting/finance major to see 50k isn't enough to start a family....Most try the camp circuit/club/training hustle etc...but eventually the time away from family drags on you....might as well get paid and enjoy your life not shuttling yourself down to the Mid-Atlantic in June/July...I've done it...great in your early 20's...changes when you hit 30
The prep school thing seems the most appealing for a talented young coach with kids/plans for kids. Take Dawson at Haverford School or Colf now at Episcopal. Young kids, free tuition, competitive lacrosse. Well funded. I balked at teaching, education/coaching was my plan going into college, when I did the math. I LOVE coaching. But man, you gotta hustle hard away from the game. I recently read Walk Off Winning by Steve Trimper, Stetson U baseball coach. Was looking for culture creation ideas. He basically says at his first job, IN D1, he realized that the actual coaching part was 1/3 of his responsibilities. Fundraising, stumping internally, recruiting, media relations, all of it. You have to love the game and the process enough for that to overcome the rest.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:53 am
+2
The prep school thing seems the most appealing for a talented young coach with kids/plans for kids. Take Dawson at Haverford School or Colf now at Episcopal. Young kids, free tuition, competitive lacrosse. Well funded. I balked at teaching, education/coaching was my plan going into college, when I did the math. I LOVE coaching. But man, you gotta hustle hard away from the game. I recently read Walk Off Winning by Steve Trimper, Stetson U baseball coach. Was looking for culture creation ideas. He basically says at his first job, IN D1, he realized that the actual coaching part was 1/3 of his responsibilities. Fundraising, stumping internally, recruiting, media relations, all of it. You have to love the game and the process enough for that to overcome the rest.
Also from Brini Nick Taylor (assistant coach '13-'14 season) left Arcadia HC for Haverford and then resigned last year to be HC at Princeton Day School.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Love NICK!
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

The teaching/coaching model is a good one and sadly it's dying to Prep schools hiring club directors etc....you will never be monetarily rich...but you can make a good life for yourself in all the things that matter really in the end....
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

+2
+1 most people have no idea how poor the coaches actually are. It’s a shame that schools are ok with coaches living in border line poverty. The grind is real.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Benedictine (IL)
Brockport (NY)
FDU (NJ)
Guilford (NC)
Juniata (PA)
LaGrange (GA)
Northland (WI)
Oglethorpe (GA)
SUNY Potsdam
Rhodes (TN)
Kean (NJ)
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:47 am Albertus Magnus College (CT)
Benedictine (IL)
Brockport (NY)
FDU (NJ)
Guilford (NC)
Juniata (PA)
LaGrange (GA)
Northland (WI)
Oglethorpe (GA)
SUNY Potsdam
Rhodes (TN)
Kean (NJ)
Benedictine (IL)
Brockport (NY)
FDU (NJ)
Guilford (NC)
Juniata (PA)
Kean (NJ)
LaGrange (GA)
Northland (WI)
Oglethorpe (GA)
SUNY Potsdam
Rhodes (TN)
Virginia Wesleyan (VA) - Sam Jones (Virginia Wesleyan AC)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”