Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

Post by coda »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:10 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:33 pm
Laxinmay wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 am
Kismet wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:07 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:43 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:42 pm At this rate, he should hang around and take over for Coach Corrigan when he retires. The Navy job comes with a great deal of prestige and resources. I grew up there. But damn, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They have this thing humming there. As an Irish fan, I hope he sticks it out and gets passed the torch from KC. He would be a rightful heir to the job.
Agree
Of course, the question is how long does one wait for Corrigan to retire? Ask Byrne.
I don't think it is imminent right now.
I believe RW is in a great spot. Two nattys, a coach of 36 years finally with two pinnacle wins. Winning like that, at that age, changes ones mind that they finally did it....and can exhale. I suspect it will not be long.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryne takes over once Corrigan hangs it up. He has far more history with the program / Corrigan and a ton of alumni support.
Totally understand that sentiment but would struggle to understand how a current assistant with TWO National Championships at that school would be looked over. Regardless of tenure etc.
Using that logic, why wouldn’t they hand it over to Wojcik?

The fact that Bryne was there for 16 years (vs 4 years for Wellner/Wojcik), set up the foundation for the defense that the program is built around and Wellner now stewards, made deep connections with 100’s of alumni who all sing his praises, and now has head coaching experience, I don’t think its much of a stretch to say he would be the frontrunner for the job if it opened in the next year or two.
Wellner’s defense is far different than Byrnes. But I get your point. Maybe Byrne went to Harvard for the sole reason of adding HC to his resume for a wink and nod before leaving South Bend.
If memory serves me well, his wife got a nice job offer in Boston area and that was part of the reason Bryne left ND..
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

"Wellner's" defense is far different from "Byrne's"?? Now this is getting ridiculous. It's CORRIGAN's team, having known Kevin for years, there's is no way he gives carte blanche to his assistants regarding schemes. Does he trust them, sure. But, Kevin is no figurehead like a Bobby Bowden..
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

FMUBart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:18 pm "Wellner's" defense is far different from "Byrne's"?? Now this is getting ridiculous. It's CORRIGAN's team, having known Kevin for years, there's is no way he gives carte blanche to his assistants regarding schemes. Does he trust them, sure. But, Kevin is no figurehead like a Bobby Bowden..
Correct. This is the same exact defense as under Byrne. I am intimately familiar with it and nothing has changed. Wellner has done a great job on the recruiting trail.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:42 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:18 pm "Wellner's" defense is far different from "Byrne's"?? Now this is getting ridiculous. It's CORRIGAN's team, having known Kevin for years, there's is no way he gives carte blanche to his assistants regarding schemes. Does he trust them, sure. But, Kevin is no figurehead like a Bobby Bowden..
Correct. This is the same exact defense as under Byrne. I am intimately familiar with it and nothing has changed. Wellner has done a great job on the recruiting trail.
Interesting, because it also resembles what Wellner was running at Navy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:15 pm
Can’t speak to Wellners at navy, but it must’ve been similar then. Honestly most defenses are fairly similar, with variation mostly in where the slide is coming from and philosophy on when to slide. Sure it’s possible minor changes have been made that you can’t pick up on from the stands, but I can say for sure there have been no major variations.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:10 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:33 pm
Laxinmay wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 am
Kismet wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:07 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:43 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:42 pm At this rate, he should hang around and take over for Coach Corrigan when he retires. The Navy job comes with a great deal of prestige and resources. I grew up there. But damn, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They have this thing humming there. As an Irish fan, I hope he sticks it out and gets passed the torch from KC. He would be a rightful heir to the job.
Agree
Of course, the question is how long does one wait for Corrigan to retire? Ask Byrne.
I don't think it is imminent right now.
I believe RW is in a great spot. Two nattys, a coach of 36 years finally with two pinnacle wins. Winning like that, at that age, changes ones mind that they finally did it....and can exhale. I suspect it will not be long.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryne takes over once Corrigan hangs it up. He has far more history with the program / Corrigan and a ton of alumni support.
Totally understand that sentiment but would struggle to understand how a current assistant with TWO National Championships at that school would be looked over. Regardless of tenure etc.
Using that logic, why wouldn’t they hand it over to Wojcik?

The fact that Bryne was there for 16 years (vs 4 years for Wellner/Wojcik), set up the foundation for the defense that the program is built around and Wellner now stewards, made deep connections with 100’s of alumni who all sing his praises, and now has head coaching experience, I don’t think its much of a stretch to say he would be the frontrunner for the job if it opened in the next year or two.
Wellner’s defense is far different than Byrnes. But I get your point. Maybe Byrne went to Harvard for the sole reason of adding HC to his resume for a wink and nod before leaving South Bend.
If memory serves me well, his wife got a nice job offer in Boston area and that was part of the reason Bryne left ND..
Did you hear that from Jeff Tambroni?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:23 pm
Can’t speak to Wellners at navy, but it must’ve been similar then. Honestly most defenses are fairly similar, with variation mostly in where the slide is coming from and philosophy on when to slide. Sure it’s possible minor changes have been made that you can’t pick up on from the stands, but I can say for sure there have been no major variations.
Blasphemy! You mean all of the comments about the brilliance of various DCs and magical defensive schemes are just hot air?
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Late Slide wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:53 am
Blasphemy! You mean all of the comments about the brilliance of various DCs and magical defensive schemes are just hot air?
Haha well not exactly. The brilliance is in the details: good slide decisions, good fundamental approaches, how to play picks in different areas of the field, clearing, etc.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BigTurn wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:56 am
Haha well not exactly. The brilliance is in the details: good slide decisions, good fundamental approaches, how to play picks in different areas of the field, clearing, etc.
...and that was my exact point; they are different.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:59 pm
BigTurn wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:56 am
...and that was my exact point; they are different.
Good defenses have far more in common than not in my opinion. They all execute the same fundamentals well with little variation. Again, I can’t speak to Wellners navy defense, but if you’re telling me ND is running that now, then it was identical to Byrne’s defense.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Ryan Wellner guest on this podcast

He discusses Notre Dame’s championship season recruiting and NIL the transfer portal in the life of an assistant coach

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... sh-e2krdfo

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”