Long Island 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
kr522

Re: Long Island 2024

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:37 pm The problem could also be solved by going to a power league. Imagine this league (based on success from past few seasons, but could quibble with some inclusions)

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

Wouldn't have any issues with SOS, maybe 1 or 2 of these teams would be weak in a given year.
That makes a pretty nice power league
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:42 pm
LI13 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:37 pm The problem could also be solved by going to a power league. Imagine this league (based on success from past few seasons, but could quibble with some inclusions)

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

Wouldn't have any issues with SOS, maybe 1 or 2 of these teams would be weak in a given year.
And its not any worse geographically than the current setup. I mean D1 has South Fork, Floyd, Riverhead, etc in the same league as Hills, Huntington, Northport, Commack...while D2 has John Glenn in the same league as Mattituck and Westhampton lol.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

LI13 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:44 pm

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

And its not any worse geographically than the current setup. I mean D1 has South Fork, Floyd, Riverhead, etc in the same league as Hills, Huntington, Northport, Commack...while D2 has John Glenn in the same league as Mattituck and Westhampton lol.
It is in fact a long island
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:49 pm
LI13 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:44 pm

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

It is in fact a long island
And Suffolk County specifically is extremely unwieldy. It's the only county I know of that basically abandoned its de jure county seat (Riverhead) because its like 90 min on the LIE away from the county's big population centers. The de facto county seat is Hauppauge.
WhatIPostLike

Post by WhatIPostLike »

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

While great in theory, I think it's harder to create a Power League in Suffolk as the strength of teams appears more cyclical than in Nassau. I mean WM, Northport, Comsewogue, and SWR have consistently been near the top of the county for as long as I've been paying attention but the other schools come and go. It would be hard to do without someone getting slighted and pushing back - for example Huntington being absent from this league and MT Sinai being included. Rocky Point has had some strong teams in recent memory....I think. Now, I've heard that the Nassau Power league is going to have some type of relegation model but I don't know if that's true and I've yet to see someone explain how the team or teams to be promoted into the power league would be chosen. It doesn't look like there is any team in Nassau outside of the existing power league that would be competitive. If a relegation model power league could be agreed upon in Suffolk, I think that would be awesome. Otherwise, as you say, reduce the required league opponents to 12 games to allow more out of league and out of section scheduling.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

WhatIPostLike wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:25 pm

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

While great in theory, I think it's harder to create a Power League in Suffolk as the strength of teams appears more cyclical than in Nassau. I mean WM, Northport, Comsewogue, and SWR have consistently been near the top of the county for as long as I've been paying attention but the other schools come and go. It would be hard to do without someone getting slighted and pushing back - for example Huntington being absent from this league and MT Sinai being included. Rocky Point has had some strong teams in recent memory....I think. Now, I've heard that the Nassau Power league is going to have some type of relegation model but I don't know if that's true and I've yet to see someone explain how the team or teams to be promoted into the power league would be chosen. It doesn't look like there is any team in Nassau outside of the existing power league that would be competitive. If a relegation model power league could be agreed upon in Suffolk, I think that would be awesome. Otherwise, as you say, reduce the required league opponents to 12 games to allow more out of league and out of section scheduling.
Absolutely Suffolk very cyclical. Two years ago Mount Sinai was probably one of the top 15 teams in the country and this year they aren't one of the top 15 teams in Suffolk. Huntington had a nearly unbeatable team in 2006. Rocky Point had two nationally ranked teams in a row in the late 2000s (while at the same time Northport was barely making the playoffs in A).

Would have to be a promotion/relegation model.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Is the Village of RVC the new epicenter of Nassau County lacrosse? SS/RVC H.S. is having a terrific year. The MVP of the women's NCAA Championship game is from RVC. The NCAA men's Champs had a few from RVC as well.

I would credit Joe Bacarella, IMHO one of the best coaches on L.I. with getting the ball rolling in the community.
lilax

Post by lilax »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:40 pm Is the Village of RVC the new epicenter of Nassau County lacrosse? SS/RVC H.S. is having a terrific year. The MVP of the women's NCAA Championship game is from RVC. The NCAA men's Champs had a few from RVC as well.

I would credit Joe Bacarella, IMHO one of the best coaches on L.I. with getting the ball rolling in the community.
The Kavanaugh's are RVC residents as well as ND fogo Lynch.

Bacarella got the ball rolling. SS won a State Championship and was one of the top teams on LI from 2004-2010. They lost there way a bit with the team drinking scandal in California.

But current head coach Dipietro has done a phenomenal job building the youth program.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

lilax wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:47 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:40 pm Is the Village of RVC the new epicenter of Nassau County lacrosse? SS/RVC H.S. is having a terrific year. The MVP of the women's NCAA Championship game is from RVC. The NCAA men's Champs had a few from RVC as well.

Bacarella got the ball rolling. SS won a State Championship and was one of the top teams on LI from 2004-2010. They lost there way a bit with the team drinking scandal in California.

But current head coach Dipietro has done a phenomenal job building the youth program.
??????
Will Lynch and both Kavanaghs are from RVC as is Jack McDonald a LSM at UMD. Kayla Martello, B.C. is from RVC.
renault

Post by renault »

It always has been. It's just that the vast majority of good players from RVC go to Chaminade or SH.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Interesting. IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN.THE VAST MAJORITY (?). Are you aware that CSH, Manhasset, Garden City and Farmingdale are in Nassau County? Plenty of young men and women from those communities go to Chaminade and Sacred Heart as well.

How many is vast?
Last edited by wahoomurf on Fri May 31, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Joe is an excellent lax coach.
Too bad he got shanghai'd after a San Diego road trip that went awry.
Pretty sure GC lax was his next stop after fiasco.

RVC youth program only started in 1990s.
GC is way ahead on youth development for high school.

The core of SS team has been playing together since grade school.
Reason the football and lacrosse teams had such success.
RVC youth programs paying off.

The parent, not the coach.
Klaxman

Post by Klaxman »

Jim Malone wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:26 pm Joe is an excellent lax coach.
Too bad he got shanghai'd after a San Diego road trip that went awry.
Pretty sure GC lax was his next stop after fiasco.

RVC youth program only started in 1990s.
GC is way ahead on youth development for high school.

The core of SS team has been playing together since grade school.
Reason the football and lacrosse teams had such success.
RVC youth programs paying off.

South side 08 team was a great team
Klaxman

Post by Klaxman »

lilax wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:47 pm

Dipertro took over 2008
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Pat Kavanaugh just won the Tewy.
Klaxman

Post by Klaxman »

South side plays Warwick valley does anyone know the other games
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Klaxman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:47 pm South side plays Warwick valley does anyone know the other games
They are all against teams from Section 9.

CSH Vs O'Neill

Farmingdale Vs Monroe-Woodbury

BBP Vs Red Hook

Shouldn't be close, any of them.

Joe
LI13

Post by LI13 »

I wonder what else South Side has to do to pass GC in the laxnumbers ratings...if they win out, that's the best public school team in the state.

Frankly, I think they might be slight favorites over Chaminade - game would be close either way especially with Melkonian's dominance.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It took forever to get into the top 25 that contained competition beat in weekly rankings. Folk making selections were not believers until season's end.
SSHS24Lax.jpg
SSHS24Lax.jpg (195.89 KiB) Viewed 281 times
LI13 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:59 am I wonder what else South Side has to do to pass GC in the laxnumbers ratings...if they win out, that's the best public school team in the state.

Frankly, I think they might be slight favorites over Chaminade - game would be close either way especially with Melkonian's dominance.
The parent, not the coach.
Sec11Kings

Post by Sec11Kings »

WhatIPostLike wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:25 pm

Hills
WM
Northport
Smithtown East
Smithtown West
Connetquot
Comsewogue
SWR
BBP
East Islip
West Islip
Mount Sinai

I would propose a cross over schedule..... #1 Seed in the A Division would play 8 or 10 games with the current settings. (Basically the top 8/10 teams) then play 4 games with the TOP of the B Division. Count the B Division Wins/losses as half in the power points. The middle of the pack teams would need to be developed by some Math Teacher to figure out all the logistics. But you would get more competitive games for both the top and bottom of the leagues.

So Hills Schedule Next year would look like.

Northport
Ward Melville
Huntington
Smithtown East
Riverhead
Bay Shore
Longwood
Connetquot
SH/EH/BH/Pier/R/HB
Commack HS
Bayport-Blue Pt
East Islip
Smithtown West
Shoreham WR

Brentwood would look like.

Commack HS
Patchogue-Medford
William Floyd
Sachem North
Sachem East
Lindenhurst
Middle Country
Walt Whitman
North Babylon
Copiague
Rocky Point
Port Jefferson
Bellport
Deer Park

The choice of ten games would probably be the direction given the history of Suffolk. Leaves the districts with only having to schedule two games. Just a thought. Back in the day I remember having Cross League schedules.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”