Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:28 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:05 pm If it took you 5 minutes to read my next to last post - maybe you need even more help than I imagined
Put him on ignore. Best decision I've made since joining this forum.

2025 season begins now for every team. Depends how the rest of the transfer portal shakes out but my guess is the Jays will be ranked in the back half of the top 10. Somewhere in the 6-8 range. Back-to-back quarterfinals earns them the benefit of the doubt as a preseason top 10. Some real losses but Smith (fingers crossed), Collison, English, Kilrain, Chauvette, Ayers, Deans, Melendez, Bauer, Brown + the Yale guys is a good core to build around. We'll see how the goalie room unfolds and if there's an addition there. But they return key pieces at every position and where they don't they've already made impactful adds. Coming in with reduced expectations from the outside observers might be good for this team
After I taught you that one of the actual goals of dodging is to draw a slide?!?

Come on … you didn’t know that. I saved you from further embarrassing yourself. That’s worth at least a $25 Starbucks gift card.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

PotomacRiver wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:52 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:28 pm
Put him on ignore. Best decision I've made since joining this forum.

2025 season begins now for every team. Depends how the rest of the transfer portal shakes out but my guess is the Jays will be ranked in the back half of the top 10. Somewhere in the 6-8 range. Back-to-back quarterfinals earns them the benefit of the doubt as a preseason top 10. Some real losses but Smith (fingers crossed), Collison, English, Kilrain, Chauvette, Ayers, Deans, Melendez, Bauer, Brown + the Yale guys is a good core to build around. We'll see how the goalie room unfolds and if there's an addition there. But they return key pieces at every position and where they don't they've already made impactful adds. Coming in with reduced expectations from the outside observers might be good for this team
6-8 feels right. I think we'll be better than expected despite some losses - as 51percentcorn said, Degnon is certainly a loss but replacing shooters is something we've done well for a long time (Huntley to Wharton to Brown to Marr to Degnon) and I think Chauvette will step in just fine. Not suggesting he's close to the same player yet, but consider Ryan Brown's leap from Fresh to Soph (17goals as a middie to 40 goals in lefty attack spot); Chauvette put up 14 in a similar role and hopefully with more opportunities and a bit of time in weight room he can put up 30+ next year. Most of the other top contenders have big losses as well. Just been a while since we've had a game changing QB-type attackman, probably not since Dan Denihan (Wells and Shack were great but more opportunistic against #1 poles rather than real dodging threats, some of that due to injury).
We may be ranked 6-8 early in the season, but we will probably (in actuality) be somewhere among the top 12 to 16 teams in the country early on. It’s going to take some time for our O and D to gel, and it will probably take a full season to replace the productivity of Angelus and Degnon. Neither Bauer nor Ayers is an offensive QB like Angelus. Considering the likely tough schedule, would not be surprised if we finish with a regular season record of 7-6 or 8-5 next year. Indeed, I think making the NCAA tournament will be a challenge in 2025.

Blue Jays won’t be lacking in talent. However, more than most teams, their success will be reliant on playing good team offense and defense.

And of course, if our offense is to succeed, Collison will need to play a much bigger role than he did this season. Won’t be good enough to be a role player. Frankly, I thought his third-team AA was generous. I suspect the powers that be were rewarding his highlights and potential, rather than his actual game-to-game performances

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
PotomacRiver

Post by PotomacRiver »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:50 pm
We may be ranked 6-8 early in the season, but we will probably (in actuality) be somewhere among the top 12 to 16 teams in the country early on. It’s going to take some time for our O and D to gel, and it will probably take a full season to replace the productivity of Angelus and Degnon. Neither Bauer nor Ayers is an offensive QB like Angelus. Considering the likely tough schedule, would not be surprised if we finish with a regular season record of 7-6 or 8-5 next year. Indeed, I think making the NCAA tournament will be a challenge in 2025.

Blue Jays won’t be lacking in talent. However, more than most teams, their success will be reliant on playing good team offense and defense.

And of course, if our offense is to succeed, Collison will need to play a much bigger role than he did this season. Won’t be good enough to be a role player. Frankly, I thought his third-team AA was generous. I suspect the powers that be were rewarding his highlights and potential, rather than his actual game-to-game performances

DocBarrister
Agreed that 3rd team may have been generous based on the season he had, although midfield play was overall weak this year so graded on a curve. He’ll for sure have to play a bigger role, but I’ll be interested to see what form those increased shot attempts take. I think there’s a decent chance we’ll be better than that if a few key upperclassmen come back healthy and a couple guys take the sophomore leap.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:54 pm
norcalhop wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:29 pm will be a slow 9 months from here on out. Only transfer portal to ponder.
Fall ball in four or five months.
The biggest turnover since Petro's departure and one of those mega personnel transitions particularly offensively like 2005-2006, 2010 regular season, and 2013-2014.

There's also this fallout, although it could be years away.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ettlement/
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 pm
No evidence to support this. The team was hampered offensively not by your lunacy of not dodging aggressively - but by the fact that most of them were not very good at it or were somewhat one dimensional - e.g. Peshko/Grimes. They also wanted to play slower given the issues at face-off and therefore didn't "hunt shots" as wg.. put it I think. The Melendez troubles (whatever they were) and the English/Iler injuries were direct hits to dodging success as well. They were ranked 5th or so in the pre-season - they' came within a goal of making the Final Four week-end - sounds like they hit the bulls-eye in terms of what most thought.
Sorry, was travelling all last week and didn't have a chance to comment.

I'm not so down on the offense for next year as many other here. I think the turnover will be good for the offense. Let's be honest, it couldn't be worse - especially the last 6 weeks or so, the offense was to be polite - offensive. Again, it points to when your offense is stagnant you need to score more in unsettled situations. Forcing additional control on the offense only made it more stagnant. Who cares if you aren't great at FO, Hopkins certainly had a deep set of SSDMs and long sticks, that could cover up any fatigue issues. If you can't force guys to slide for whatever reasons, you need to get scores in other ways including pushing the pace of play. There is literally no reason you need to hold the ball and only shot when the shot clock is under 15 seconds. I don't think you need to play like SU but there were opportunities in lots of games toward the end of the season that presented opportunities to score that Hopkins didn't take.

I will also add that one of the more concerning issues was basically the entire offense (outside of English) returned and the offense took a decided step back. I know HOP16 will point to the overall offensive efficiency numbers but I'd like to see a breakdown between of the offensive efficiency before Michigan and after Michigan because while the offense was humming before that, it wasn't afterwards. You could make the argument facing tougher defenses but I don't think that was all of it. I think that should put pressure on Crawley and Millman to solve these issues, particularly Crawley.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but Hopkins ride basically disappeared the back half of the season. It was very good in creating unsettled situations but that seemed to tail off as the season went along.

The defense should be fine so long as it gets decent goalie play - and man was it nice to see some competence between the pipes for a season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:28 pm I will also add that one of the more concerning issues was basically the entire offense (outside of English) returned and the offense took a decided step back.
Most, if not all, of this was due to the aforementioned English injury and Melendez's ineffectiveness (though he certainly wasn't the problem in the quarterfinals, and thus not the reason we didn't advance to the Final Four, even if it was a struggle for much of the year). They were our two primary initiators heading into the season. Suddenly one of them is done for the year and the other is in a major slump, which may or may not have been injury related as well. So it's not a huge surprise the offense was sluggish in the second half of the year, especially as the two freshmen — Chauvette and Ayers — who had been productive in the early/middle parts of the season, hit the infamous freshman wall. Bauer was also banged up. Evans, who got us 12 pts last year, was simply not healthy enough to contribute either. That, quite frankly, didn't leave you with a ton.

The offense wasn't a whole lot better late in the year last year either. Fewer than 10 goals in two of the last three games (including the QF loss to Notre Dame). Hm I wonder what could have been a big part of the offensive explosion against Bryant, let me think: A program record 9 points from Melendez and a first quarter hat trick from English to set the tone. Arguably the two most critical O players in that game and neither were available/healthy/effective for the majority of 2024.

Angelus and Degnon are real, impactful losses. But there is a chance the offense is better next year despite those losses if:

- English comes back healthy (and stays healthy)
- Melendez plays more like his 2023 self than 2024
- Collison takes a step

The good things re: Melendez are A) we know what he's capable of, so it doesn't require some quantum leap or magical thinking to get him to where he needs to be. This is a guy who was taking Brett Makar, Chris Fake, and Marcus Hudgins to the rack last year... and B) he is going to have to carry more and be more assertive simply by virtue of us losing Angel. We can't afford for him to be a secondary presence of the offense. He's got to drive things from the attack while English, Collison, Bauer, and others run the midfield. Assuming the other attackmen are Chauvette and Ayers — Chauv is not a dodger and while Ayers has shown flashes in that area (great first step), that's mostly been against SSDMs and is unproven as a college attackman against top poles. Long story short, Russ is going to have more responsibility in '25 than he did in '24. I predict that'll help to unlock the ability we know he has.

The other thing is Collie's got to take the next step. He was basically the same player this year as last (a very good one), except a bit more clutch (which is not unimportant). Need him to develop a bit more as a playmaker (e.g. the unbelievable pass he made against Michigan) and be more assertive without forcing things. He has 1st team AA potential.

And then of course there's a whole bunch of guys (Iler, Jewell, McCleary, Crogan, etc.) who are unknown entities as collegiate players but pop on tape with the very skill that is needed: midfield dodging. We'll see if any of them pan out. I think the odds are good that someone will.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:10 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:28 pm I will also add that one of the more concerning issues was basically the entire offense (outside of English) returned and the offense took a decided step back.

Angelus and Degnon are real, impactful losses. But there is a chance the offense is better next year despite those losses if:

- Collison takes a step
Theoretically possible, but they have to really move the ball. If your top six are Melendez, Ayers, Chauvette, Collison, English and Bauer, I would think you'd want to push transition at every opportunity. Put RM at the point where he can either shoot or pass and try to get as many wide open looks for Chauvette as possible. Also the EMO will need to be lights out. You have 4 initiators, one pure shooter, and two guys, maybe three if you include English, who can do both. Collison can go to the next level if he can learn to pass the ball before he gets double teamed. He can draw a slide but he needs to use it to hit the open man. I think the key for next year's O is rapid ball movement and really pushing transition giving the skill of their ball handlers. Not a lot of size, other than Collison, but lots of quickness and stick skills.

I hope PM can find a quality FO man in the portal. Really essential to have a second FO man.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:22 am

- Collison takes a step
Theoretically possible, but they have to really move the ball. If your top six are Melendez, Ayers, Chauvette, Collison, English and Bauer, I would think you'd want to push transition at every opportunity. Put RM at the point where he can either shoot or pass and try to get as many wide open looks for Chauvette as possible. Also the EMO will need to be lights out. You have 4 initiators, one pure shooter, and two guys, maybe three if you include English, who can do both. Collison can go to the next level if he can learn to pass the ball before he gets double teamed. He can draw a slide but he needs to use it to hit the open man. I think the key for next year's O is rapid ball movement and really pushing transition giving the skill of their ball handlers. Not a lot of size, other than Collison, but lots of quickness and stick skills.

I hope PM can find a quality FO man in the portal. Really essential to have a second FO man.
I think people have to account for the freshmen and if any of them will step up like Collison did his first year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oYVVGkMfL4

Not much insight although PM states the transfer class will be small (for positions of need only and to respect those who paid their dues on the roster). Incoming freshman class is 10 people.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

PM also maybe officially/unofficially confirmed that English got a redshirt for this past year and intends to stick around campus for 5. Certainly not a surprise that a medical waiver could be/maybe was already granted but this seemingly indicates that they went through the process and that playing the next 3 years here is part of the life plan. Great to hear from a program perspective if that is the case.

Next years offense will certainly be a new look with playing time opening up all over the field on that end. Hard to handicap before we see the incoming class and development over the summer and fall from those returning but there is plenty of potential that was locked on the bench this year and hopefully being seasoned during practice that we never got to see much of even in the scrimmages. Sorichetti, Jewell, Rawson, Iler were all 4 stars from last years class along with now upperclassmen like Marquis. And while you're not replacing the 6-4 listings with quite similar size pretty much only Iler is a bit on the shorter side to Sags point. If English can come back ready to rock that is a huge shot in the arm.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The Athletic has been running a few stories on recruiting in the portal era and how conference commissioners are approaching roster sizes and their budgets in the wake of the settlement that was announced last week which they feel is going to cause $ cuts.

On recruiting it seems that a lot of coaches now in some sports in the power conferences-big ten etc are taking smaller freshmen recruiting classes leaving off developmental prospects and focusing more on getting transfers from lesser conferences who've proven themselves in college.

On roster sizes there seems to be a fight coming between coaches and administrators about how big rosters should be moving forward now that conferences have to budget for $20 million they need to pay athletes. Obviously Hopkins isn't d1 in football and most sports but you wonder if they're going to start to limit numbers on lacrosse rosters especially if they're making football feel pain. The argument that coaches have put to administrators is that they can't add players in season the way the pros do and so if lets say Hopkins has a rash of injuries at fogo and you only have 4 fogos instead of 5 it starts to put kids long term health or the season in jeopardy.

FWIW I said for awhile here they should do more content and hf16 among others said it was a dumb idea and this wasn't football. I think PM does himself and the program a lot of good by doing these.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:33 pm PM also maybe officially/unofficially confirmed that English got a redshirt for this past year and intends to stick around campus for 5. Certainly not a surprise that a medical waiver could be/maybe was already granted but this seemingly indicates that they went through the process and that playing the next 3 years here is part of the life plan. Great to hear from a program perspective if that is the case.

Next years offense will certainly be a new look with playing time opening up all over the field on that end. Hard to handicap before we see the incoming class and development over the summer and fall from those returning but there is plenty of potential that was locked on the bench this year and hopefully being seasoned during practice that we never got to see much of even in the scrimmages. Sorichetti, Jewell, Rawson, Iler were all 4 stars from last years class along with now upperclassmen like Marquis. And while you're not replacing the 6-4 listings with quite similar size pretty much only Iler is a bit on the shorter side to Sags point. If English can come back ready to rock that is a huge shot in the arm.
PM says English is due to start running again soon. Probably won't see much of him in the fall but that puts him well on track to be good to go for the spring.

His younger brother Sawyer is a 4-star/top 50 player committed to Brown — I have no inside info but am hoping that perhaps with the coaching change there we can flip him and get him to Homewood. If Brooks stays for three more years, that'd give him two with his bro instead of just one. And would give their poor parents a break after they've had to divide their time between Baltimore, Syracuse, Chapel Hill, and NJ the last few years.

I'm a broken record at this point but I will always hold a candle for Marquis. I know that the box game does not always translate to field but I just cannot imagine not being able to find a role for a kid who had 160 points in the OJLL last summer. Especially now that there are roles for the taking. He's up with the Peterborough Lakers in the Senior A league this year. Collison had 8 pts in his first game back with the Jr A Toronto Beaches.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

norcalhop wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:38 am
I think people have to account for the freshmen and if any of them will step up like Collison did his first year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oYVVGkMfL4

Not much insight although PM states the transfer class will be small (for positions of need only and to respect those who paid their dues on the roster). Incoming freshman class is 10 people.
I can definitely see Tyler Eye getting serious PT at LSM.
On offense, maybe Cirian McLeary or Liam Gregory crack the line up...
Has anyone seen these player play in person?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Best WWM vodcast by a country mile - from PM's standpoint - coming a long way from I am sure from the Epstein controversy of 2021 - not tripping over any landmines. I am wondering about his math - e,g, he says 10 incoming recruits - IL lists 11. He mentioned saying goodbye to 16. I count 14 you have no choice - it's been widely put forth Ince is moving on to employment life - that's 15 - who's the 16th?

As far as Tyler Eye - as I said - reputed skill set and ranking a couple years ago - IL #26 - might lead you to believe he's poised to make such a leap - last two years have been ones where he may not have played very much which might put you behind the 8 ball as a freshman. Wait and see.

Hopkins will almost unbdoubtedly be smaller yet faster and quicker at mid-field - does not appear to be unusually loaded with converted attackmen - might work - again wait and see
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:22 am

- Collison takes a step

For me, the measure of Collison going “to the next level” is just one thing … he forces opponents to defend him with a longstick the majority of the time. That will come from multiple things, whether it is dodging more aggressively or improving his passing as a distributor, etc.

If Collison can consume more defensive resources (which is the mark of a truly great midfielder, and why midfielders scoring just 40 points a season can become first-team AAs and all-time greats), that will free things up for guys like Bauer, RM, Chauvette, and whoever the new regulars will be.

Bottom line … the offense will depend heavily on Collison next season. If he remains just a very good role player, 2025 will be a rough haul.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:35 pm Best WWM vodcast by a country mile - from PM's standpoint - coming a long way from I am sure from the Epstein controversy of 2021 - not tripping over any landmines. I am wondering about his math - e,g, he says 10 incoming recruits - IL lists 11. He mentioned saying goodbye to 16. I count 14 you have no choice - it's been widely put forth Ince is moving on to employment life - that's 15 - who's the 16th?

As far as Tyler Eye - as I said - reputed skill set and ranking a couple years ago - IL #26 - might lead you to believe he's poised to make such a leap - last two years have been ones where he may not have played very much which might put you behind the 8 ball as a freshman. Wait and see.

Hopkins will almost unbdoubtedly be smaller yet faster and quicker at mid-field - does not appear to be unusually loaded with converted attackmen - might work - again wait and see
A) Definitely back (3): Melendez, Bauer, Deans
B) Definitely gone (13): Aviles, Ierlan, Angelus, Stoebner, Degnon, Szuluk, Grimes, Martin, Ince, Dunn, McDermott, Peshko, Jaronski
C) Don't know (5): Moore, C. Chauvette, Raposo, Arteaga, Evans
D) Waiting for official word but hopefully back (1): Smith

To get to 16 gone, you need at least three from column C to join column B. I personally do not know which of the column C guys will be back but I'm sure the team does by now. I had assumed Moore was gone, but I just saw him in a video training with Goaliesmith yesterday — not sure why you'd do that if your college career was over but who knows maybe he's just having fun.

With a very strong group of poles returning, it might be tough for Eye to see the field (outside of wings) in year one. The PT opportunities for the young guys are clearly going to be primarily at the midfield.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of incoming freshmen, McCleary and Hobot were named to the "New Balance" (used to be Under Armour) All-American game: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/63565

Nice job by the staff with these two. Neither were believed to be AA type players when they committed. But similar to Kilrain last year, both have exploded as seniors and now look like the kind of guys who could make an instant impact.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu May 30, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes I had counted Moore gone and thought Raposo - 4 appearances in '21 - would be gone as well - he straddles the line oh so close - 30% of 13 games is 0.1 shy of 4 and the last game he appeared in 2021 was the April 4 game against Michigan which was exactly the midpoint of the season. Could make an argument if he wants to return.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:53 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:35 pm Best WWM vodcast by a country mile - from PM's standpoint - coming a long way from I am sure from the Epstein controversy of 2021 - not tripping over any landmines. I am wondering about his math - e,g, he says 10 incoming recruits - IL lists 11. He mentioned saying goodbye to 16. I count 14 you have no choice - it's been widely put forth Ince is moving on to employment life - that's 15 - who's the 16th?

A) Definitely back (3): Melendez, Bauer, Deans
B) Definitely gone (13): Aviles, Ierlan, Angelus, Stoebner, Degnon, Szuluk, Grimes, Martin, Ince, Dunn, McDermott, Peshko, Jaronski
C) Don't know (5): Moore, C. Chauvette, Raposo, Arteaga, Evans
D) Waiting for official word but hopefully back (1): Smith

To get to 16 gone, you need at least three from column C to join column B. I personally do not know which of the column C guys will be back but I'm sure the team does by now. I had assumed Moore was gone, but I just saw him in a video training with Goaliesmith yesterday — not sure why you'd do that if your college career was over but who knows maybe he's just having fun.

With a very strong group of poles returning, it might be tough for Eye to see the field (outside of wings) in year one. The PT opportunities for the young guys are clearly going to be primarily at the midfield.
It is my understanding that Evans is back. Raposo will not be returning barring an unexpected change.
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:35 am
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:49 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:17 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 am
Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.
Very good pickups through the portal so far.

Any word on where Ramsey from Yale might go?

DocBarrister
Nicholas Ramsey is a good FOGO; if he does transfer he'll be a nice addition to any team's options at the X. He was Yale's starting FOGO in 2022 and 2023 at about 54% both years, and this year did quite well in a secondary role to Mac Rodriguez. All three of Yale's FOGOs, including Ramsey, got injured late in the season which doomed Yale's chances of advancing in the Ivy League tournament and making the NCAAs. (It was rough going from "we're so lucky we have two great FOGOs" to "wow we have no healthy FOGOs" but that's lacrosse for you and that position is tough on your body.). I assume Ramsey will have a full recovery (and hope he does).

It's not beyond the realm of possibility he'd want to go where two teammates/classmates are heading, but with Callahan returning and another FOGO already transferring in, not sure he'd feel like he'd be getting a chance to get on the field? Lars Tiffany collects transfer FOGOs like baseball cards so Charlottesville could be an option, and a couple of Yalies made a big impact at Notre Dame last year so maybe ND would like an insurance policy for Lynch? Hard to say.
If he transferred, he might be close to primary FO. The dickinson guy has very average 50% win rate in D3 and callahan is 51% on the year. Hopkins needs better personnel at the position.
No, the Dickinson guy is above 60% in his career, not 50. He was 61% this year and 63% last year. His worst year was 54% as a freshman in 2021.

Also UNC hasn’t had “gaudy point stats” in years. They get recruits because kids like the idea of going to college there. Has nothing to do with their offense. Certainly has nothing to do with recent success, because that’s been in short supply. A handful of their better players on offense have ended up transferring lately.
Last edited by Devil4Life on Fri May 31, 2024 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Devil4Life wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:33 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:35 am
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:49 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:55 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:25 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:23 am
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:17 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:16 am
Lax Mouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:55 am https://x.com/tyxanders/status/17940188 ... 10o1w&s=19

Now it's confirmed
Can't really overstate how big this is. Exactly the type of player we want. Great job by the staff to get this (and Monfort) done
Solid leadership coming.
Bio says he was the team captain last year. Veteran leadership in the middle of the field. Good.
Yes, it was mentioned he was the sole captain (a customary measure) at Yale. Would not be surprised to see him reprise that role at Hopkins.
Very good pickups through the portal so far.

Any word on where Ramsey from Yale might go?

DocBarrister
Nicholas Ramsey is a good FOGO; if he does transfer he'll be a nice addition to any team's options at the X. He was Yale's starting FOGO in 2022 and 2023 at about 54% both years, and this year did quite well in a secondary role to Mac Rodriguez. All three of Yale's FOGOs, including Ramsey, got injured late in the season which doomed Yale's chances of advancing in the Ivy League tournament and making the NCAAs. (It was rough going from "we're so lucky we have two great FOGOs" to "wow we have no healthy FOGOs" but that's lacrosse for you and that position is tough on your body.). I assume Ramsey will have a full recovery (and hope he does).

It's not beyond the realm of possibility he'd want to go where two teammates/classmates are heading, but with Callahan returning and another FOGO already transferring in, not sure he'd feel like he'd be getting a chance to get on the field? Lars Tiffany collects transfer FOGOs like baseball cards so Charlottesville could be an option, and a couple of Yalies made a big impact at Notre Dame last year so maybe ND would like an insurance policy for Lynch? Hard to say.
If he transferred, he might be close to primary FO. The dickinson guy has very average 50% win rate in D3 and callahan is 51% on the year. Hopkins needs better personnel at the position.
No, the Dickinson guy is above 60% in his career, not 50. He was 61% this year and 63% last year. His worst year was 54% as a freshman in 2021.

Also UNC hasn’t had “gaudy point stats” in years. They get recruits because kids like the idea of going to college there. Has nothing to do with their offense. Certainly has nothing to do with recent success, because that’s been in short supply. A handful of their better players on offense have ended up transferring lately.
FWIW
This will be my first and last post
John McKee is the Dickinson FOS who is joining the JHU team this fall
John loves the JHU coaches especially Coach Milliman, Coach K and Coach Cohen
John has started every high school and college game( (except this year’s Second Round NCAA tournament game when he was in a boot for a severely sprained ankle) since his freshman year at Episcopal High School in the IAC and broke the single season FO win records and was 4 short of the career record because his senior season was cancelled due to Covid. His backup at EHS, Victor Salcedo, was in the 2-man Tufts FO rotation and had the clinching goal in the Tufts championship game. John holds the single season and career records for both Dickinson College and the Centennial Conference for ground balls(191 and 532, respectively) and face off wins( 291 and 890, respectively),
John is a three time first team all Centennial Conference selection and two time USILA AA selection, USA Lacrosse AA selection and First Team IL D-3 Preseason AA team.
For the last three years, Dickinson has scrimmaged Penn and Drexel and John has fared favorably against their FOSs.
The highlights of those games are available on HUDL and YouTube and Dan Kaplan’s Twitter account has John’s clinching goal against Gettysburg in the Centennial Conference final.
John’s goal is to be the best that he can be and to help the JHU men’s lacrosse program in any way he can on and off the field. His brother-in -law is Steele Stanwick so Wells and Shack are excited for John. The McKees are glad to be part of the JHU men’s lacrosse program.
Go Blue Jays!
Thanks and great report, D4L!

Looking forward to seeing McKee in a Hopkins uniform.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”