D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTurn

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by BigTurn »

Finster wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:23 pm
Gobigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:56 pm
Chousnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:26 am
Gobigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:26 am
NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 pm ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
The "natty" has been won 27 times by teams "with 1 or fewer losses."
And 13 of those teams were undefeated. Plus:
Cornell won back to back in 76-77 with 0 losses on the way to 42 straight wins
JHU won three in a row from 78-80 with a 40-2 record
UNC won back to back in 81-82 with a 26-0 record
JHU won back to back in 84-85 with a 27-1 record
Syracuse won three in a row from 88-90 with a 42-1 record
Princeton won three in a row from 96-98 with a 44-2 record
Syracuse (08-09), Duke (14-15) and UVA (19/21) also recently won back to back titles

And none of those teams won with rosters filled with graduate students. ND lost to Georgetown and was outplayed by a Cornell team with an average age about 2-3 years younger. And I can't remember a season when almost all the seeded teams limped into the tournament. ND didn't exactly beat a murderers' row of teams to win the title.

By all means, enjoy the two titles. Nobody is saying ND didn't deserve it or that they didn't have a great season.

But let's cut down on the hyperbole and the misinformation. Based on the above, I don't think ND sniffs the top 10 of all time, let alone the best ever.

But, of course, everything ND is the best, always/s :P Best team ever; best goalie ever; best coach ever; best assistant coaches ever; best attack ever; best uniforms ever; Best defense ever; best ride ever. Did I leave anything out?
Best bagpipes.

At the quarterfinals at Hofstra, the ND fans were lined up for the Georgetown locker room after the game screaming at the players the usual ‘you blow etc…’ and to Warne they were yelling ‘hey you fat ‘eff’, not rolling around now’.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
Don’t get me started on the sh*t you’d hear coming in and out of the dome or klockner. At DU, the student section stands in front and heckles you off the bus, and several members of their women’s soccer team even ran into the locker room to chirp. Spare us the choir boy routine, every single fan base is doing this.
Last edited by BigTurn on Wed May 29, 2024 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

You should still be hiding in your hole, Ohio.

Well put, Finster.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 pm ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
Syracuse (08-09), Duke (14-15) and UVA (19/21) also recently won back to back titles

And none of those teams won with rosters filled with graduate students. ND lost to Georgetown and was outplayed by a Cornell team with an average age about 2-3 years younger. And I can't remember a season when almost all the seeded teams limped into the tournament. ND didn't exactly beat a murderers' row of teams to win the title.

By all means, enjoy the two titles. Nobody is saying ND didn't deserve it or that they didn't have a great season.

But let's cut down on the hyperbole and the misinformation. Based on the above, I don't think ND sniffs the top 10 of all time, let alone the best ever.

But, of course, everything ND is the best, always/s :P Best team ever; best goalie ever; best coach ever; best assistant coaches ever; best attack ever; best uniforms ever; Best defense ever; best ride ever. Did I leave anything out?
Best bagpipes.

At the quarterfinals at Hofstra, the ND fans were lined up for the Georgetown locker room after the game screaming at the players the usual ‘you blow etc…’ and to Warne they were yelling ‘hey you fat ‘eff’, not rolling around now’.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
Unfortunate if true. For football, the fanbase has the reputation of being one of the more friendly and welcoming.
2023 2024
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Best bagpipes.
Oh don't forgot Jordan Faison is the best frosh in America...probably 3rd best player behind the Kav brothers. Oh, and I'm not sure you were aware or not...but did you know he plays ND football too? An often overlooked fact that doesn't get nearly enough attention.
Last edited by Hooz123 on Wed May 29, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:46 pm

Best bagpipes.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
Don’t get me started on the sh*t you’d hear coming in and out of the dome or klockner. At DU, the student section stands in front and heckles you off the bus, and several members of their women’s soccer team even ran into the locker room to chirp. Spare us the choir boy routine, every single fan base is doing this.
Maryland has the worst fans in America, hands down. Obnxious. type of folks you're embarrassed to have your kids around in the stands.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:04 pm
Chousnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:55 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:11 am A lot of old timers showing their saltiness lol. I hate ND as much as the next guy, but it's hard to say they aren't an all-time team. 16-0-1 this year (hockey record).

Two 80-point scorers at attack, with the 3rd scoring 40+ goals. Best goalie in the country. Great close D and rope units. Solid fogo who can scrum it up if the clamp isn't going his way. But the kicker... 3 lines of midfielders that can produce. 8 different midfielders scored in the National Championship... depth kills.

Kids today are so much bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled than back then. The average D1 lacrosse player now vs the D1 lacrosse player of the 80's/90's is much different. So much more athletic nowadays.
Take the players from the 70s and 80s and give them today's equipment, coaching, year round playing opportunities, and training techniques and they are just as big, fast, and skilled as the athletes today.
I can think of two off the top of my head that I would have liked to have seen with the advantages of today's players,

Del Dressel and Eamon McEneaney,
those two were serious athletes.

There are others of course.
Urso
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:51 pm

Best bagpipes.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
Maryland has the worst fans in America, hands down. Obnxious. type of folks you're embarrassed to have your kids around in the stands.
I remember being one of the obnoxious fans at Byrd some decades ago. An impossibly old gentlemen advised me that I was reflecting poorly on JHU. I never thanked him. I should have.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 pm

Best bagpipes.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
Unfortunate if true. For football, the fanbase has the reputation of being one of the more friendly and welcoming.

We were surprised but I chalk it up more to Long Island locals who jumped on the Kavanaugh Chaminade train. The ND parents sat on the other side of the field behind the team. It was ugly stuff.

Most real lacrosse fanbases are respectful, including ND’s (I was being sarcastic saying humorously ‘the best fans’). The style of play from the Kavanaugh’s is promoting some moronic behavior from some of their followers. I’ve got friends whose daughters play for ND women’s and they couldn’t be nicer. It’s also a reason I stay semi-anonymous on this board. The way folks take the lightest of criticisms can lead to the end of otherwise great relationships.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:59 pm

Best bagpipes.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
I remember being one of the obnoxious fans at Byrd some decades ago. An impossibly old gentlemen advised me that I was reflecting poorly on JHU. I never thanked him. I should have.
The Maryland fanbase can literally be summed up perfectly: Think a shirtless, drunk Matt Rambo screaming obscenities at the other players and fans all game long. Jumping up and down.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 pm

Best bagpipes.
Oh don't forgot Jordan Faison is the best frosh in America...probably 3rd best player behind the Kav brothers. Oh, and I'm not sure you were aware or not...but did you know he plays ND football too? An often overlooked fact that doesn't get nearly enough attention.
Notre Dame lives rent free in that head huh? :lol: Keep coping knowing even if UVA had a player in a similar situation it wouldn't be nearly as impressive since that football team isn't even close to the same level as the Irish ;)
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

azim21 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Best bagpipes.
Notre Dame lives rent free in that head huh? :lol: Keep coping knowing even if UVA had a player in a similar situation it wouldn't be nearly as impressive since that football team isn't even close to the same level as the Irish ;)
It's more of an indictment on the sorry state of the announcers and how lazily ESPN handles production and game prep. I can go back and watch every ND game, every single first touch for Faison includes a reference to the "lightning quick athlete, ND football player" literally. Same exact script, every single game.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

And for the record, I couldn't care less about UVa football. Goes without saying ND football is an afterthought.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:48 pm
azim21 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Best bagpipes.
It's more of an indictment on the sorry state of the announcers and how lazily ESPN handles production and game prep. I can go back and watch every ND game, every single first touch for Faison includes a reference to the "lightning quick athlete, ND football player" literally. Same exact script, every single game.
A fair point, I think most would agree the ESPN commentators could switch up how they do things. I don't hate them as much as others though, but you're right the commentary for Faison was the same all year.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:49 pm And for the record, I couldn't care less about UVa football. Goes without saying ND football is an afterthought.
I know I just wanted to talk a little smack :lol: But I think you could understand why ESPN would want to advertise a player who is also a contributing player on one of the biggest brands in college sports.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Best bagpipes.
They let you out of FANLAX Penitentiary already?!?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hooz123 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:30 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:59 pm

Best bagpipes.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.
The Maryland fanbase can literally be summed up perfectly: Think a shirtless, drunk Matt Rambo screaming obscenities at the other players and fans all game long. Jumping up and down.
Not really responding to this specifically,

but Rambo was walking the stands on Saturday - a lot of lot of kids asking for autographs, photos.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Best bagpipes.
They let you out of FANLAX Penitentiary already?!?

DocBarrister ;)
Youth offender
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The announcers love football! When Yale had its great shorty combo of Tyler Warner and Jason Alessi, you would have thought Jason Alessi's name full name was "Jason Alessi Who Has Returned Two Punts for Touchdowns for the Yale Football Team." And they loved mentioning football for Maryland's Dante Trader and Navy's Xavier Arline.

Re: fan bases, post pandemic I can attest that high school student section behavior has gotten really edgy and sometimes ugly, and I'm not surprised if that's happening at the college level too. I've never seen ND's fan base as problematic (and I've been to a few games in person if never to Arlotta) although every college can have some loudmouths that leave a sour taste for those trying to just focus on the games.

Again -- congrats to the Notre Dame faithful. Great run and it might not be over. Cheers.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:42 pm The announcers love football! When Yale had its great shorty combo of Tyler Warner and Jason Alessi, you would have thought Jason Alessi's name full name was "Jason Alessi Who Has Returned Two Punts for Touchdowns for the Yale Football Team." And they loved mentioning football for Maryland's Dante Trader and Navy's Xavier Arline.

Re: fan bases, post pandemic I can attest that high school student section behavior has gotten really edgy and sometimes ugly, and I'm not surprised if that's happening at the college level too. I've never seen ND's fan base as problematic (and I've been to a few games in person if never to Arlotta) although every college can have some loudmouths that leave a sour taste for those trying to just focus on the games.

Again -- congrats to the Notre Dame faithful. Great run and it might not be over. Cheers.
The Rabils, Carc, Anish, et al keep trying to legitimize the sport with the whole “look our guys are athletic enough to play football too” schtick, while anyone over 12 with a brain stopped caring about the “not a real sport” commentary long ago.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:42 pm The announcers love football! When Yale had its great shorty combo of Tyler Warner and Jason Alessi, you would have thought Jason Alessi's name full name was "Jason Alessi Who Has Returned Two Punts for Touchdowns for the Yale Football Team." And they loved mentioning football for Maryland's Dante Trader and Navy's Xavier Arline.

The Rabils, Carc, Anish, et al keep trying to legitimize the sport with the whole “look our guys are athletic enough to play football too” schtick, while anyone over 12 with a brain stopped caring about the “not a real sport” commentary long ago.
Yes, it comes off a little defensive/desperate to me. Lacrosse has nothing to apologize for. It's in such a great place. The arch "he's the first lacrosse player to play in the NFL bwahahaha" schtick has gotten very old too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”