Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner-Maybe Best Assistant In The Game Right Now?

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:57 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:44 pm This thread is too funny...I guess Corrigan is just so-so, thank goodness for his assistants :lol:
What makes you think I believe that? So many legendary coaches in all sports have had top assistants in their respective sports. A program, no matter what, revolves first and foremost around the head coach.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

That may not have been one of Maryland's best offensive units. However, no one can deny that ND's defense had quite a performance against them.
coda

Re: Notre Dame DC Ryan Wellner-Top Current Assistant Coach In The Game?

Post by coda »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:51 pm I give the nod to Bernhardt.

It’s Corrigan’s defense, Wellner is just maintaining what he and Bryne developed. I think the Wojcik addition has had more of an impact on the team with how the offense has evolved over the last three years.

What Bernhardt was able to do this year with all the personnel turnover they had was very very impressive.
Last 15 years the median score for ND has been 11.0 -8.9..
ND. Only the 2019 defense averaged giving up over 10 goals (10.1). I didn’t include the shortened 2020 season. Only thing that has changed ND’s standing is the offense has now averaged just over 15 goals the last 3 seasons. The defense has not changed
VoiceofReason

Post by VoiceofReason »

Don't forget that Wellner is also the Director of Recruiting and has done a decent job finding some under the radar type guys who ended up becoming All-Americans!

-Dobson was only the #61 player in the class of 2020; ended up being a multiple-time AA
-Ramsey was #87 in the 2021 class; multiple-time AA
-Faison has thus far outplayed his #48 2023 ranking

And from the class of 2025, he already has verbals three top-25s/top-10s; as well as six top-25s in 2026!

In a duel-capacity; he is doing quite well!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

VoiceofReason wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:13 pm Don't forget that Wellner is also the Director of Recruiting and has done a decent job finding some under the radar type guys who ended up becoming All-Americans!

-Dobson was only the #61 player in the class of 2020; ended up being a multiple-time AA
-Ramsey was #87 in the 2021 class; multiple-time AA
-Faison has thus far outplayed his #48 2023 ranking

And from the class of 2025, he already has verbals three top-25s/top-10s; as well as six top-25s in 2026!

In a duel-capacity; he is doing quite well!
Wow! His resume is even more impressive than I thought!
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

I know I said it earlier, but we want him back in Annapolis (even more so than before). We can say what we want about scheme etc but the numbers speak for themselves, pre ND (Navy etc)and during. Ask around the lacrosse world and you will learn a lot about Coach Wellner, more than those that just tune in on Saturdays or read Inside Lacrosse and Fan Lax.

No need to question and for those that talk about the offense, I believe Coach Wojcik and Garnsey have added a ton of value as well.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Laxinmay wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:33 pm I know I said it earlier, but we want him back in Annapolis (even more so than before). We can say what we want about scheme etc but the numbers speak for themselves, pre ND (Navy etc)and during. Ask around the lacrosse world and you will learn a lot about Coach Wellner, more than those that just tune in on Saturdays or read Inside Lacrosse and Fan Lax.

No need to question and for those that talk about the offense, I believe Coach Wojcik and Garnsey have added a ton of value as well.
Well, let's see what happens with Amplo. Wonder how much more time they will give him to get to the NCAA Tournament?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

At this rate, he should hang around and take over for Coach Corrigan when he retires. The Navy job comes with a great deal of prestige and resources. I grew up there. But damn, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They have this thing humming there. As an Irish fan, I hope he sticks it out and gets passed the torch from KC. He would be a rightful heir to the job.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:42 pm At this rate, he should hang around and take over for Coach Corrigan when he retires. The Navy job comes with a great deal of prestige and resources. I grew up there. But damn, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They have this thing humming there. As an Irish fan, I hope he sticks it out and gets passed the torch from KC. He would be a rightful heir to the job.
He very well might do that.
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

We shall see….timing is everything in life. Guys been at a few great places. Someone will end up with him.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:42 pm At this rate, he should hang around and take over for Coach Corrigan when he retires. The Navy job comes with a great deal of prestige and resources. I grew up there. But damn, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They have this thing humming there. As an Irish fan, I hope he sticks it out and gets passed the torch from KC. He would be a rightful heir to the job.
Agree
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:43 am
Agree
Of course, the question is how long does one wait for Corrigan to retire? Ask Byrne.
I don't think it is imminent right now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:07 am
Agree
Of course, the question is how long does one wait for Corrigan to retire? Ask Byrne.
I believe RW is in a great spot. Two nattys, a coach of 36 years finally with two pinnacle wins. Winning like that, at that age, changes ones mind that they finally did it....and can exhale. I suspect it will not be long.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 am
Agree
I believe RW is in a great spot. Two nattys, a coach of 36 years finally with two pinnacle wins. Winning like that, at that age, changes ones mind that they finally did it....and can exhale. I suspect it will not be long.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryne takes over once Corrigan hangs it up. He has far more history with the program / Corrigan and a ton of alumni support.
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:55 am
Agree
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryne takes over once Corrigan hangs it up. He has far more history with the program / Corrigan and a ton of alumni support.
Totally understand that sentiment but would struggle to understand how a current assistant with TWO National Championships at that school would be looked over. Regardless of tenure etc.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Laxinmay wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:18 am
Agree
Totally understand that sentiment but would struggle to understand how a current assistant with TWO National Championships at that school would be looked over. Regardless of tenure etc.
Using that logic, why wouldn’t they hand it over to Wojcik?

The fact that Bryne was there for 16 years (vs 4 years for Wellner/Wojcik), set up the foundation for the defense that the program is built around and Wellner now stewards, made deep connections with 100’s of alumni who all sing his praises, and now has head coaching experience, I don’t think its much of a stretch to say he would be the frontrunner for the job if it opened in the next year or two.
FMUBart

Re: Notre Dame DC Ryan Wellner-Top Current Assistant Coach In The Game?

Post by FMUBart »

coda wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:57 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:51 pm I give the nod to Bernhardt.

It’s Corrigan’s defense, Wellner is just maintaining what he and Bryne developed. I think the Wojcik addition has had more of an impact on the team with how the offense has evolved over the last three years.

What Bernhardt was able to do this year with all the personnel turnover they had was very very impressive.
Last 15 years the median score for ND has been 11.0 -8.9..
ND. Only the 2019 defense averaged giving up over 10 goals (10.1). I didn’t include the shortened 2020 season. Only thing that has changed ND’s standing is the offense has now averaged just over 15 goals the last 3 seasons. The defense has not changed
Thank you, this over-hyping of assistants is comical. The HC set the scheme(s) and the assistants follow his lead. Giving Wellner--or even Byrne--too much credit takes away from the job done by Corrigan.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:33 pm
Laxinmay wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:18 am
Agree
Using that logic, why wouldn’t they hand it over to Wojcik?

The fact that Bryne was there for 16 years (vs 4 years for Wellner/Wojcik), set up the foundation for the defense that the program is built around and Wellner now stewards, made deep connections with 100’s of alumni who all sing his praises, and now has head coaching experience, I don’t think its much of a stretch to say he would be the frontrunner for the job if it opened in the next year or two.
Wellner’s defense is far different than Byrnes. But I get your point. Maybe Byrne went to Harvard for the sole reason of adding HC to his resume for a wink and nod before leaving South Bend.
~Livy

Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

All great points!
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Now if Corrigan hangs around another 5 years and ND wins another 1-2 NCs my opinion may change on the topic…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”