The numbers from the Final

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

The numbers from the Final

Post by LarryGamLax »

Here are the attendance numbers from Sunday's Final...4884 attended the Final. Seating Capacity at WakeMed Park, 10,000
And the number for Friday's Final Four was 4308.

I thought the TV coverage was good and solid. Great camera angles and replays.
spidey44

Re: The numbers from the Final

Post by spidey44 »

Last time I went was the 2019 Final Four and Homewood was absolutely packed. In fact, just found this "while women’s lacrosse sold 9,017 tickets to the Division I women’s final in a stadium with a capacity for 8,500". I understand "growing the game," but maybe being in a lax hotbed is a better move? I didn't see the numbers for 21, 22, or 23 though...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

The Philly area, and a smaller venue, has always seemed like the place to be for the women's final(s). Draw from NY, NJ, Delaware, PA, and more of Delmarva. The 2013 semis and finals were played at Villanova, I think, and 2015 was played in Chester, PA, at PPL Park. Just seemed like these were good venues and good locations in relation to the ardent fan base.
bhall123

Post by bhall123 »

We had a similar discussion last year and I think playing in a professional soccer stadium near a hotbed city feels like the right size solution to grow the sport.

You can find the Final Four attendance by looking at the box scores on the team schedules for the teams involved. Here are the Finals attendance for the last four years:

2021 Towson 5405 (remember access to this game was limited due to Covid)
2022 Homewood 8500
2023 Cary 6705
2024 Cary 4884

Although my team won this year, I'm glad to see the last of Cary. I don't know what the solution is but the RDU area is just too far off the beaten path for most people to get to easily. Hotels may be reasonable but airfare is not and it's a good haul to drive from just about anywhere. Last year there seemed to be lots of locals and visitors excited about the sport and its debut in Cary, but this year it looks the attendance was about 2/3 of last year's turnout. Maybe the novelty wore off.

I think the NCAA part was well done with the treatment of the teams and the broadcasting, but the facility even with its reduced attendance wasn't really ready for the event. Running out of water on a 90 degree, very humid day is not a joke. Concessions dropped the ball because apparently the people selling drinks were only allowed to sell alcohol and the food concessions didn't have water or gatorade almost from the start. Those of us who had water in their cars were not allowed to leave. I saw a 15 yo girl collapse from heat exhaustion, hitting her head on the pavement. Enough venting.

The NCAA experiment opted for a small town venue to grow the sport and apparently failed in this aspect. People from all over the country may be willing to drop money to fly to the "hotbeds" because there is more to see and do in those areas than just lacrosse and the local fan base assures a good turnout. Most people who have visited Cary once, don't make plans to return there. It reminds me of my old home in Albany NY, where the saying is "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there". I wouldn't recommend Albany to host the NCAA's either even though they have good facilities and an arguably better local fan base.

The irony of this discussion is our sister D2 Forum is complaining about their venue/treatment in Florida and wondering why they couldn't have been in Cary too.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:12 am The Philly area, and a smaller venue, has always seemed like the place to be for the women's final(s). Draw from NY, NJ, Delaware, PA, and more of Delmarva. The 2013 semis and finals were played at Villanova, I think, and 2015 was played in Chester, PA, at PPL Park. Just seemed like these were good venues and good locations in relation to the ardent fan base.
I agree in priniciple. the problem is any state north of Maryland is still in playoffs championship weekend so you will never optimize attendance because girls/families will likely prioritze seeing their local team/playing in a sectional final or state championship. The edge Maryland has is that it has a short lax season which ends early (especially for IAAM).

I agree the DMV should be the permanent location for the finals, but would challenge that there are better locations available than Homewood. I actually think Audi Field could be the ideal venue.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

It appears that next year's Final will be at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough. I think the optics of 4000-5000 fans in a 70,000 seat giant stadium will be less than optimal. They are better off at venues that fold 8000-10,000.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I have been to PPL Stadium in Chester, PA a few times. Great location and great facility. Perfect size venue.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:12 am The Philly area, and a smaller venue, has always seemed like the place to be for the women's final(s). Draw from NY, NJ, Delaware, PA, and more of Delmarva. The 2013 semis and finals were played at Villanova, I think, and 2015 was played in Chester, PA, at PPL Park. Just seemed like these were good venues and good locations in relation to the ardent fan base.
I agree in priniciple. the problem is any state north of Maryland is still in playoffs championship weekend so you will never optimize attendance because girls/families will likely prioritze seeing their local team/playing in a sectional final or state championship. The edge Maryland has is that it has a short lax season which ends early (especially for IAAM).

I agree the DMV should be the permanent location for the finals, but would challenge that there are better locations available than Homewood. I actually think Audi Field could be the ideal venue.
Have you been to Audi field? Went there for the MD/UVA men's game last year and it was an absolute disaster.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:12 pm I have been to PPL Stadium in Chester, PA a few times. Great location and great facility. Perfect size venue.
I second that motion. The fact that it is 30 minutes from my house has nothing to do with it.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I agree a NE hotbed city is the way to go. I’m all for the support to grow the game in non traditional areas, but sometimes you have to pay tribute to the sports history. The NCAA needs to utilize its advantages and that’s by filling up a medium sized soccer stadium in the NE. This draws the most fans, both due to proximity and activities to do within NE cities. Although Homewood is a struggle for parking, the history of the stadium is incredible. Maryland, especially Baltimore and Hopkins (more so Men’s than women’s) is known for lacrosse. MD is the Lax Capital. When watching on TV the atmosphere looked incredible. Would love Navy to be able to host, but the stadium might be too big. Maybe Loyola? Philly and Boston areas both seem ideal.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm Have you been to Audi field? Went there for the MD/UVA men's game last year and it was an absolute disaster.
What was wrong with it? I've heard nothing but good things (from a football and soccer standpoint). Looks great from the outside (I haven't been in...).
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:29 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:31 pm Have you been to Audi field? Went there for the MD/UVA men's game last year and it was an absolute disaster.
What was wrong with it? I've heard nothing but good things (from a football and soccer standpoint). Looks great from the outside (I haven't been in...).
Nothing wrong with the stadium at all. It's the logistics of parking/traffic.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

The Linc for the men and Villanova for the the women is the best venue period. If the women don't want to share a spot there are a bunch of other schools in striking distance. D3 at West Chester, D2 at St Joe's etc.
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

What was the name of the soccer stadium just outside Philly they had the Men’s acc tourney at I believe the women played there for something as well I want to say PPl park but could be wrong or just pack it all into the Linc same with Foxboro
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

tothedraw wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:38 pm The Linc for the men and Villanova for the the women is the best venue period. If the women don't want to share a spot there are a bunch of other schools in striking distance. D3 at West Chester, D2 at St Joe's etc.
I thought this was a great combination as well. The weather was crap at Villanova if I remember correctly, but the venue felt right. The Final Four for both men and women should be in the same city.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:37 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:38 pm The Linc for the men and Villanova for the the women is the best venue period. If the women don't want to share a spot there are a bunch of other schools in striking distance. D3 at West Chester, D2 at St Joe's etc.
I thought this was a great combination as well. The weather was crap at Villanova if I remember correctly, but the venue felt right. The Final Four for both men and women should be in the same city.
It's the size of venue and options for games in other close places for a festival like atmosphere. Tons of lodging options and ways into the area. IMO. Slightly easier for Upstate and New England people to get to v Baltimore.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

hmmm wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:34 pm
Gotta take metro.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:29 am
Gotta take metro.
I go to a few Nats games a year. Use SpotHero and parking's never a big issue.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:40 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:29 am
Gotta take metro.
I go to a few Nats games a year. Use SpotHero and parking's never a big issue.
Not sure what caused the issues that day but it was a nightmare.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Do a four year rotation- Boston, Philly/NJ , Balt/DC and then have the fourth in non-traditional places like Chicago, Atlanta, Cincy/Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, etc.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”