2024 Women’s Tewaaraton Watch List

D1 Womens Lacrosse
watcherinthewoods

Re: 2024 Women’s Tewaaraton Watch List

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am
Lax101 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 pm You have to remember that every team game plans for Scane and she gets the other teams best defender or two. Tewey committee has to look beyond stats in the future and even consider defenders - too many players on average teams playing tons of minutes and putting up insane stats. Put them on Top 4 team and they would not shine nearly as much IMO
Good point.
+1 ^ ...

When the list was announced, I did think there was a strong possibility that a couple of names would not make the quarters with their team. Part of the criteria should be the ability to "anchor" a team during the post-season. Is there any precedent for the committee to add another name(s) to the list prior to the winner being announced? Was Meghan Taylor on the short list prior to her win in 2019?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:19 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 am
Lax101 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 pm You have to remember that every team game plans for Scane and she gets the other teams best defender or two. Tewey committee has to look beyond stats in the future and even consider defenders - too many players on average teams playing tons of minutes and putting up insane stats. Put them on Top 4 team and they would not shine nearly as much IMO
Good point.
+1 ^ ...

When the list was announced, I did think there was a strong possibility that a couple of names would not make the quarters with their team. Part of the criteria should be the ability to "anchor" a team during the post-season. Is there any precedent for the committee to add another name(s) to the list prior to the winner being announced? Was Meghan Taylor on the short list prior to her win in 2019?
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:08 pm BC and Terps leading the way with 4 nominees each

Position breakdown: 4 goalies, 3 defenders, only 5 middies, and a whopping 13 attackers

Andie Aldave, Notre Dame - Soph., Midfield
Samantha Apuzzo, Boston College - Sr., Attack
Dempsey Arsenault, Boston College - Sr., Midfield
Julia Braig, Maryland - Sr., Defense
Elizabeth George, Princeton - Sr., Attack
Samantha Giacolone, Notre Dame - Sr., Goalie
Jen Giles, Maryland - Sr., Midfield
Kali Hartshorn, Maryland - Jr., Attack
Emily Hawryschuk, Syracuse - Jr., Attack
Olivia Jenner, Duke - Sr., Attack
Ally Kennedy, Stony Brook - Jr., Midfield
Kenzie Kent, Boston College - Graduate, Attack
Kelly Larkin, Navy - Jr., Attack
Selena Lasota, Northwestern - Sr., Attack
Elizabeth Miller, Boston College - Sr., Defense
Taylor Moreno, North Carolina - Soph., Goalie
Sammy Mueller, Virginia - Jr., Midfield
Jamie Ortega, North Carolina - Soph., Attack
Lindsey Ronbeck, Florida - Sr., Attack
Gabby Rosenzweig, Pennsylvania - Jr., Attack
Livy Rosenzweig, Loyola - Soph., Attack
Caroline Sdanowich, James Madison - Sr., Defense
Mira Shane, Michigan - Sr., Goalie
Miranda Stinson, Colorado - Sr., Attack
Megan Taylor, Maryland - Sr., Goalie
She was...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Someone posed a great question:

Which was the last D1 women's team to win a national championship with no one representing their team among the five finalists for the Tewaaraton? (If there even was one...)
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Probably JMU - did they have someone? If you put 3 of the 5 finalist on BC they are not finalist in my opinion. Maybe 4 of the 5? They team you play for, the coach the coach you play for, the conference you play within and the talent pool you are surrounded by dictate your role, your stats and your personal success in my opinion, unless you are a phenon like Scane, North and Appuzzo.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:55 pm Probably JMU - did they have someone? If you put 3 of the 5 finalist on BC they are not finalist in my opinion. Maybe 4 of the 5? They team you play for, the coach the coach you play for, the conference you play within and the talent pool you are surrounded by dictate your role, your stats and your personal success in my opinion, unless you are a phenon like Scane, North and Appuzzo.
Attacker Kristin Gaudian was amongst the Five in 2018.
Batman

Post by Batman »

2016 UNC
OuttaNowhereWregget

For those hoping to watch the ceremony tonight, it will most likely be streamed on YouTube.

MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:31 am For those hoping to watch the ceremony tonight, it will most likely be streamed on YouTube.

I expect there will be no surprises with this one. Maybe I'm wrong.
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:42 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:31 am For those hoping to watch the ceremony tonight, it will most likely be streamed on YouTube.
I expect there will be no surprises with this one. Maybe I'm wrong.
I agree. I can't see anyone but Scane taking it--as it should be.
OuttaNowhereWregget

2024 Tewaaraton Ceremony

For those who feel better late than never, here is the Tewaaraton ceremony from last night.

https://tewaaraton.com/2024ceremony/?fb ... qil8nUfiMd
OuttaNowhereWregget

For those who'd like to watch only the (9 minute) women's portion of the ceremony:

laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

I know it’s WAY too early but I am just having fun and here are my pre season predictions for the 2025 tewaaraton fianalists:

Chase Boyle, Loyola
Rachel Clark, BC
Jill Smith, Michigan
Madison Taylor, NW
McKenna Davis, BC

I do think it’s possible we have a UNC girl in the mix. Look forward to watching Chloe H. play. Lopinto, Dolce and Duffy are names I can also see as possibly being up there.

What are other people’s thoughts?
DMac

Post by DMac »

My thought is, yes, I agree, it's way too early.
You can compare your list to the pre-season
T Award list and then the top 100 watch list
shortly after the season begins to see how
you're doing. Oh, and Taylor? C'mon, she's
just a big flopper.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

laxfan2889 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:54 am I know it’s WAY too early but I am just having fun and here are my pre season predictions for the 2025 tewaaraton fianalists:

Chase Boyle, Loyola
Rachel Clark, BC
Jill Smith, Michigan
Madison Taylor, NW
McKenna Davis, BC

I do think it’s possible we have a UNC girl in the mix. Look forward to watching Chloe H. play. Lopinto, Dolce and Duffy are names I can also see as possibly being up there.

What are other people’s thoughts?
I would love to hear other people’s 2025 predictions :D
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Sammy White
Madison Taylor
Shea Baker
Chase Boyle
Jill Smith
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

hsllax wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:52 pm Sammy White
Madison Taylor
Shea Baker
Chase Boyle
Jill Smith
These are the Tewaarton winners from 2006-2023

2023 Izzy Scane Attack Northwestern
2022 Charlotte North Attack Boston College
2021 Charlotte North Attack Boston College
2020 N/A N/A N/A
2019 Megan Taylor Goalie Maryland
2018 Sam Apuzzo Attack Boston College
2017 Zoe Stukenberg Midfield Maryland
2016 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2015 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2014 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2013 Katie Schwarzmann Midfield Maryland
2012 Katie Schwarzmann Midfield Maryland
2011 Shannon Smith Attack Northwestern
2010 Caitlyn McFadden Midfield Maryland
2009 Hannah Nielsen Midfield Northwestern
2008 Hannah Nielsen Midfield Northwestern
2007 Kristen Kjellman Midfield Northwestern
2006 Kristen Kjellman Midfield Northwestern

Every winner except for 2012 played in the National Championship
FINAL game. The 2012 winnner lost in the semis.

If past is prologue, and the voting stays true to history, the Tewaarton winner will be the best player on one of the two teams in the Finals. I don’t see NU, Loyola or Michigan in the Finals. I think BC will be back in the Finals. If I’m handicapping who the winner will be, I think the favorite is Rachel Clark.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Personally, I think it is way too soon to predict next year's best team. As I watched the finals this year, I noted that Madison outplayed BC's superb middle fielders towards the end of the game. If NW had used that strategy of sending the draw out to her towards the sidelines earlier, it might have had an easier time getting into attack mode. We saw that NW came back from 2 goals down to have a real chance to tie the game at the end.

So, I have Madison high on my list of best players -- we also saw BC be outplayed in the draw by several good teams, but used a tremendous ground ball defense to gain control of many of those draw controls that should have been losses. 3 or 4 of those great BC players are gone -- I haven't yet seen a draw control person who will give BC draw control wins. So the question is, can BC rebuild that D with the players it has left or coming in -- Who will take the draw for BC? -- yes, it will have a great attack between Clark, LaPinto and Davis, and they will have a great goalie, but they cannot shoot without the ball and they lost a 5-star to the transfer portal. Florida surprised a lot of us this year -- they were overlooked. Maybe there is someone else out there that folks are overlooking. It also seems like CUSE, NW, MD, and NC will have tons of talent left or coming on to their teams -- and there has been so much discussion about how good Clemson is going to be.

There are so many great players and great coaches that I am willing to wait and see.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

2004wrongisland wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 4:57 pm
hsllax wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:52 pm Sammy White
Madison Taylor
Shea Baker
Chase Boyle
Jill Smith
These are the Tewaarton winners from 2006-2023

2023 Izzy Scane Attack Northwestern
2022 Charlotte North Attack Boston College
2021 Charlotte North Attack Boston College
2020 N/A N/A N/A
2019 Megan Taylor Goalie Maryland
2018 Sam Apuzzo Attack Boston College
2017 Zoe Stukenberg Midfield Maryland
2016 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2015 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2014 Taylor Cummings Midfield Maryland
2013 Katie Schwarzmann Midfield Maryland
2012 Katie Schwarzmann Midfield Maryland
2011 Shannon Smith Attack Northwestern
2010 Caitlyn McFadden Midfield Maryland
2009 Hannah Nielsen Midfield Northwestern
2008 Hannah Nielsen Midfield Northwestern
2007 Kristen Kjellman Midfield Northwestern
2006 Kristen Kjellman Midfield Northwestern

Every winner except for 2012 played in the National Championship
FINAL game. The 2012 winnner lost in the semis.

If past is prologue, and the voting stays true to history, the Tewaarton winner will be the best player on one of the two teams in the Finals. I don’t see NU, Loyola or Michigan in the Finals. I think BC will be back in the Finals. If I’m handicapping who the winner will be, I think the favorite is Rachel Clark.
ONLY 3 schools on the list from 2006 to present (granted, lot of repeat winners). I think the trend continues in 2025 and that the winner comes from either BC or NW. Clark or Taylor has my Vegas money.
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Taylor should have won it last season (Taylor’s fantasy points 538, Scane 367 - not even the same ballpark).

She’ll be given it this year if she’s even close to the others and NW is around the final weekend, due to last year’s requirement to give it the most hyped / best for the growth of the game / scoring star. Not saying Scane didn’t deserve it, just saying Taylor had a much better season. And it really was not close.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Bystanders wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:45 am Taylor should have won it last season (Taylor’s fantasy points 538, Scane 367 - not even the same ballpark).

She’ll be given it this year if she’s even close to the others and NW is around the final weekend, due to last year’s requirement to give it the most hyped / best for the growth of the game / scoring star. Not saying Scane didn’t deserve it, just saying Taylor had a much better season. And it really was not close.
First off, I’m a big Taylor fan. But you also need to realize that Scane and Coykendal would draw the top 2 defenders every game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”