BC NORTHWESTERN

D1 Mens Lacrosse
hofpride

BC NORTHWESTERN

Post by hofpride »

Watched the womans championship game yesterday , absolutely fantastic play . Damn shame these 2 grt academic institutions do not have mens lacrosse teams , just mind boggling
The Orfling

Re: BC NORTHWESTERN

Post by The Orfling »

It was a great game and a great advertisement for how the women’s game, while different in some key respects, can be a lot of fun to watch. And it’s always rewarding to see stars playing at the top of their game.

As far as adding new programs, I’m afraid that the pressure to use athletic department revenue to pay athletes is going to make it increasingly unlikely that schools will add new non-revenue sports. And that’s a shame. No shade being thrown on the athletes getting compensated, just thinking that some of the collateral effects will be unfortunate for fans of the non-revenue sports.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

It all comes down to title IX and cost. If you add a men’s lacrosse team with ~50 guys, you need probably two new women’s teams to balance it for title IX considerations. A men’s D1 lacrosse team is also about a million in the red each year, at least where I went. Add on the fact that schools may now start paying their athletes, and starting a new program is looking pricey.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTurn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:01 am It all comes down to title IX and cost. If you add a men’s lacrosse team with ~50 guys, you need probably two new women’s teams to balance it for title IX considerations. A men’s D1 lacrosse team is also about a million in the red each year, at least where I went. Add on the fact that schools may now start paying their athletes, and starting a new program is looking pricey.
Agreed. Most colleges take somewhere around a 4-5% draw from endowment so if you wanted to endow a new program to cover coaches salaries and the 12.5 scholarships (leaving aside other operational costs) you are looking at trying to raise $20 - 25 million. If, to satisfy Title IX, you add a high roster sport like women’s crew to balance it out, throw in another $25 million to fund that. That’s a really tall order.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:17 am
BigTurn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:01 am It all comes down to title IX and cost. If you add a men’s lacrosse team with ~50 guys, you need probably two new women’s teams to balance it for title IX considerations. A men’s D1 lacrosse team is also about a million in the red each year, at least where I went. Add on the fact that schools may now start paying their athletes, and starting a new program is looking pricey.
Agreed. Most colleges take somewhere around a 4-5% draw from endowment so if you wanted to endow a new program to cover coaches salaries and the 12.5 scholarships (leaving aside other operational costs) you are looking at trying to raise $20 - 25 million. If, to satisfy Title IX, you add a high roster sport like women’s crew to balance it out, throw in another $25 million to fund that. That’s a really tall order.
Yup. Years back I said the same thing about Stanford.. they would probably be very competitive in just a handful of years. But all in, to add a men’s program and the necessary women’s teams, they were looking in the ballpark of $50m given their athletic department is fully endowed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:00 am It was a great game and a great advertisement for how the women’s game, while different in some key respects, can be a lot of fun to watch. And it’s always rewarding to see stars playing at the top of their game.
Not only a fun game to watch, but a beautiful game to watch. The sticks don't do the work for the girls, they still have to cradle the ball and the ball will still come out of the stick easily as it was intended to before manufacturers took the sticks to the perverted level we see today. The girls' game is truer to the game and a better game (takes more skill) than what the men's game has turned into. Pinch & pop...pinch is not a word that should be used when describing how one is picking up the ball in lacrosse. Clang, clang, clang, sticks banging, player being triple teamed and goes to the ground, rolls over, then the commentator says, I can't believe he was able to hold onto the ball. Well, he didn't, the stick held it for him.
Fix the sticks!!!
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

northwestern 14 billion , BC 3.3 billion endowments?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Make cheerleading, dance, etc a varsity sport and problem solved.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

With only “club like” support BC fielded a decent team until they dropped lacrosse circa early 90’s? With proper funding and support they would easily be a top 15 team. Reinstating the BCs Men’s program has been discussed but is not going to happen. The Eagles field 26 teams 9 Men 12 Women and 5 Coed including Spirit , you would have to cut existing men’s programs to add lacrosse. If pay for play is in the future it’s more likely to see some teams dropped before adding men’s lacrosse.

A court decision in Connecticut ? ruled Cheer is not a Sport.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

Right. Men's football is what allows/creates Women's lacrosse, rowing, field hockey, volleyball, etc. It's about the proportionate opportunity nature of Title IX.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

Is womans flag football a div 1 sport?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

hofpride wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:17 am Is womans flag football a div 1 sport?
Not yet.
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

hofpride wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:52 am Watched the womans championship game yesterday , absolutely fantastic play . Damn shame these 2 grt academic institutions do not have mens lacrosse teams , just mind boggling
sadly you can't fix stupid ...might as well throw Pitt into this as well. all 3 could have a yearly top 20 program, but refuse to.
Homer

Post by Homer »

gmen1986 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:34 pm
hofpride wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:52 am Watched the womans championship game yesterday , absolutely fantastic play . Damn shame these 2 grt academic institutions do not have mens lacrosse teams , just mind boggling
sadly you can't fix stupid ...might as well throw Pitt into this as well. all 3 could have a yearly top 20 program, but refuse to.
Because most institutions don't have a terminal goal of sponsoring the absolute maximum number of non-revenue sports in which they can be top 20. BC, NW, and Pitt all already have a bunch of non-revenue sports, some of which do quite well. It's not obvious why they would rather add another mouth to feed than use the marginal dollar to make the existing teams better. Either from a "what does this do for the university at large" or from a "let's be good at sports for the sake of being good at sports" standpoint.

The other part is that these schools (BC and Pitt, at least) HAVE men's lacrosse. Kids go there, pay tuition, play men's lacrosse with the school's name on their shirts, have their college experience enhanced by sports, make lifelong friendships, blah blah blah someday donate more money, whatever. The schools just don't have to pay for it. The argument here is really that they should switch to paying for it, in exchange for:

1. Maybe the players will blah blah blah donate slightly *more* money if they made friends playing *varsity* sports.
2. People like you and me who pay attention to college lacrosse teams will pay attention to their lacrosse team. (There are very few such people.)

Of course I'd love it if any of these schools started mlax. It just doesn't exactly sell itself, is what I'm saying.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

What do those Universities get out of adding lacrosse?

They already have name recognition and are not hurting for male enrollment. All it would do is take resources away from football and basketball.

Listen I’d love for more schools to add, but you have to be realistic. But lacrosse is a small niche sport.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The idea that these three schools (BC, Pitt and Northwestern) would be perennial Top 20 teams is a pretty huge leap in my opinion. Boston College had a d1 team for decades before ending the program in 2002. As far as I remember they were less than middling program that never threatened to enter Top 20. Why would you assume that they’d be that good by re-entering D1 lacrosse? Especially, given the fact they’d be in the ACC. Nortwestern has a nice history for women’s sports but I can’t think of a men’s D1 program at NW that has had any sustained success ever. Why would men’s lacrosse be different in the Big10? Same with Pitt in the ACC. In what world is Pitt a top 20 team in ANY men’s sport? Just saying.

There is a reason they don’t have men’s lacrosse besides the obvious Title IX excuses. Each would have very little chance for success.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:52 pm The idea that these three schools (BC, Pitt and Northwestern) would be perennial Top 20 teams is a pretty huge leap in my opinion. Boston College had a d1 team for decades before ending the program in 2002. As far as I remember they were less than middling program that never threatened to enter Top 20. Why would you assume that they’d be that good by re-entering D1 lacrosse? Especially, given the fact they’d be in the ACC. Nortwestern has a nice history for women’s sports but I can’t think of a men’s D1 program at NW that has had any sustained success ever. Why would men’s lacrosse be different in the Big10? Same with Pitt in the ACC. In what world is Pitt a top 20 team in ANY men’s sport? Just saying.

There is a reason they don’t have men’s lacrosse besides the obvious Title IX excuses. Each would have very little chance for success.
All true,
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Late Slide wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:19 pm
Right. Men's football is what allows/creates Women's lacrosse, rowing, field hockey, volleyball, etc. It's about the proportionate opportunity nature of Title IX.
I’m assuming this is sarcasm without any emojis right?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:19 pm
Because most institutions don't have a terminal goal of sponsoring the absolute maximum number of non-revenue sports in which they can be top 20. BC, NW, and Pitt all already have a bunch of non-revenue sports, some of which do quite well. It's not obvious why they would rather add another mouth to feed than use the marginal dollar to make the existing teams better. Either from a "what does this do for the university at large" or from a "let's be good at sports for the sake of being good at sports" standpoint.

The other part is that these schools (BC and Pitt, at least) HAVE men's lacrosse. Kids go there, pay tuition, play men's lacrosse with the school's name on their shirts, have their college experience enhanced by sports, make lifelong friendships, blah blah blah someday donate more money, whatever. The schools just don't have to pay for it. The argument here is really that they should switch to paying for it, in exchange for:

1. Maybe the players will blah blah blah donate slightly *more* money if they made friends playing *varsity* sports.
2. People like you and me who pay attention to college lacrosse teams will pay attention to their lacrosse team. (There are very few such people.)

Of course I'd love it if any of these schools started mlax. It just doesn't exactly sell itself, is what I'm saying.
Come on this doesn’t sell itself?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6SdBo3OFk

Hewed Tupac’s Coachella image has called this the GOAT
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

D2fan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:26 pm
What do those Universities get out of adding lacrosse?

They already have name recognition and are not hurting for male enrollment. All it would do is take resources away from football and basketball.

Listen I’d love for more schools to add, but you have to be realistic. But lacrosse is a small niche sport.
i am being realistic...every sport not named football or basketball is niche at the college level. wouldn't you want to allocate assets/resources to something you could have a greater chance of being successful in?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”