Delaware’s New Conference ?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
BigRedChant

Delaware’s New Conference ?

Post by BigRedChant »

Seeing reports that the Delaware men are going to A10 for 2026 season- anybody know about the women ?
Last edited by BigRedChant on Wed May 22, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyamihere

Re: Delaware to A10?

Post by whyamihere »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:18 pm Seeing reports that the Delaware men are going to A10 for 2026 season- anybody know about the women ?
no decision on what conference the women's lax program will go to. A-10 has been ruled out
Wlax31

Re: Delaware’s New Conference ?

Post by Wlax31 »

I’m wondering if it will be Big East or AAC.
LaxPundit07

Re: Delaware to A10?

Post by LaxPundit07 »

whyamihere wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:25 pm
BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:18 pm Seeing reports that the Delaware men are going to A10 for 2026 season- anybody know about the women ?
no decision on what conference the women's lax program will go to. A-10 has been ruled out
Why has the A10 been ruled out? And why are they leaving the Colonial?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Delaware is joining Conference USA,who doesn't field lacrosse.

I will be shocked if the Delaware womens don't join the Big East.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

If they aren’t joining the A10 with the men’s team … do they really gain anything with CAA to Big East?

One thing they don’t gain is a better shot at the AQ and the tournament.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I can't see them willing putting a non-revenue sport in a conference that makes them travel to Denver, Milwaukee, Butler Indiana, etc. I would imagine they try to keep them closer to home. Delaware will need to put aside a lot of funding to keep football up to par with other FBS programs.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

BigRedChant wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:42 am If they aren’t joining the A10 with the men’s team … do they really gain anything with CAA to Big East?

One thing they don’t gain is a better shot at the AQ and the tournament.
Guessing CAA won’t let them stay (see JMU).
harflax

Post by harflax »

Delaware was among the country's biggest disappointments this year with a losing record in the CAA. As long a Stony brook is in the conference they would be better off in another mid-major conference.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

harflax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:43 pm Delaware was among the country's biggest disappointments this year with a losing record in the CAA. As long a Stony brook is in the conference they would be better off in another mid-major conference.
But how does the Big East and Denver change their situation?
harflax

Post by harflax »

BigRedChant wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:21 pm
harflax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:43 pm Delaware was among the country's biggest disappointments this year with a losing record in the CAA. As long a Stony brook is in the conference they would be better off in another mid-major conference.
The A10 makes the most sense for the program
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

harflax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:28 pm
With Umass leaving the A10 - that means Richmond is the queen to knock off. Sounds doable for a Delaware to me.

If having a real shot at the aq is the goal - A10 makes sense to me too (especially since you have the boys going anyway)

Otherwise keep the rivalries and history growing in the CAA
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

BigRedChant wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:35 pm
harflax wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:28 pm
With Umass leaving the A10 - that means Richmond is the queen to knock off. Sounds doable for a Delaware to me.

If having a real shot at the aq is the goal - A10 makes sense to me too (especially since you have the boys going anyway)

Otherwise keep the rivalries and history growing in the CAA
the A-10 has already turned Delaware's request to join.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

And the answer is…

ASUN
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:21 pm And the answer is…

ASUN
Definitely a step down for Delaware from a recruiting perspective.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

suffolk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:23 pm

ASUN
Not sure why -

In the CAA- girls could travel to a lot of college locations where they have probably been to before and root for Stony Brook as the rep in the tournament

in the ASUN - girls can travel to some interesting places outside of hotbed areas and have a chance of going to the tournament (because there are good quality teams but no Stony Brook level team in it)

Seems like a good move
Wlax31

Post by Wlax31 »

This move will a lot the team a chance to dominate. That will build confidence and the team will have loads of fun. Traveling isn’t too far and will give them the travel experience of flying. No sense moving to a conference to end up just being in middle of pack.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Wlax31 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:50 am This move will a lot the team a chance to dominate. That will build confidence and the team will have loads of fun. Traveling isn’t too far and will give them the travel experience of flying. No sense moving to a conference to end up just being in middle of pack.
Agree with everything here but they won’t dominate. Too many good coaches in the ASUN who know how to build winning teams. I don’t think they would have made the ASUN tournament this year.

And it should help the recruiting for the other ASUN teams - Maryland/Philly/Delaware girls know they will have a local game every other year that extended family can go to.

Win win for everybody.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:38 pm
suffolk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:23 pm

ASUN
Not sure why -

In the CAA- girls could travel to a lot of college locations where they have probably been to before and root for Stony Brook as the rep in the tournament

in the ASUN - girls can travel to some interesting places outside of hotbed areas and have a chance of going to the tournament (because there are good quality teams but no Stony Brook level team in it)

Seems like a good move

Agree with Suffolk here. The issue for Delaware is that they won't have any drivable road conference games for kids from Jersey, Philly or even downstate NY. This could impact recruiting as it makes it harder for some kids families to see them.

Don't think the quality of conference impacts recruiting as much. With the history of Jax and the continued improvement of Coastal, I can see the conferences be pretty comparable top to bottom soon.
harflax

Post by harflax »

The Delaware men hit a home run going into the A10, the women logistically wise have a nightmare. What used to be a trip for a game at Drexel or Towson, is now going to be a trip to the Philly or Baltimore airport to travel. I see no way that the switching of conferences is beneficial to the women. I know this is football driven by Delaware, but it is at the detriment of Olympic sports like women's lacrosse. In addition, I think it is a step down competition wise in regard to the upper half of the conference.
803.7 miles Jacksonville
521.4 Coastal
876.3 Lindenwood
277 Liberty
496 Queens
913.6 Stetson
749 Kennesaw
3834 Total miles for 7 schools

548 miles average distance

57 miles Towson 57
44 miles Drexel
193 Stony Brook