Who will win

D2 Mens Lacrosse
vburk6

Re: Who will win

Post by vburk6 »

Wow what a finish in the south regional. I don’t know what was said in that last timeout but I was not a fan of that play. Get the ball to Canyon Birch he’s the best player in the country hands down.

Also you can’t convince me that this university of Texas guy that got picked up by the Cannons is better than Canyon Birch in any way. (I know Kyle Hartzell is the coach at Texas and that’s the “reason” why)
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Adelphi wins 12-9 after a late game surge by St A's. Adelphi led 10-4 after 3Qs. Was 11-9 with 3 minutes left, but Adelphi had too much of a lead.

LR beat a tough Tampa team 15-14. Probably was the national championship. Great game, LR was down early and then it was a barnburner at the end. LR plays really tough. I feel like every big game they have, a young guy you don't hear much about pops off for a career high. Lots of offensive depth.

So, we got LR vs Adelphi in the National Championship next Sunday.

They played earlier this year on 2/24 and Adelphi lost 7-3. I watched this early game and Adelphi looked like they could've used an extra few days of pre-season. They played Georgian Court and then headed down to NC. LR at that point beat Barton, Belmont Abbey, Uindy and Tampa. I don't think it'll be as low scoring this next time around.

Prediction: LR wins 15-9.

I'd much rather it be a closer and competitive game though. Last year wasn't much fun to watch.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

vburk6 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:14 pm Wow what a finish in the south regional. I don’t know what was said in that last timeout but I was not a fan of that play. Get the ball to Canyon Birch he’s the best player in the country hands down.

Also you can’t convince me that this university of Texas guy that got picked up by the Cannons is better than Canyon Birch in any way. (I know Kyle Hartzell is the coach at Texas and that’s the “reason” why)
Didn't realize Hartzell's his coach... Makes so much sense now. I'll be impressed if he makes it past training camp.
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:57 pm Adelphi wins 12-9 after a late game surge by St A's. Adelphi led 10-4 after 3Qs. Was 11-9 with 3 minutes left, but Adelphi had too much of a lead.

LR beat a tough Tampa team 15-14. Probably was the national championship. Great game, LR was down early and then it was a barnburner at the end. LR plays really tough. I feel like every big game they have, a young guy you don't hear much about pops off for a career high. Lots of offensive depth.

They played earlier this year on 2/24 and Adelphi lost 7-3. I watched this early game and Adelphi looked like they could've used an extra few days of pre-season. They played Georgian Court and then headed down to NC. LR at that point beat Barton, Belmont Abbey, Uindy and Tampa. I don't think it'll be as low scoring this next time around.

I'd much rather it be a closer and competitive game though. Last year wasn't much fun to watch.
I believe for many years to come we will see the south region winning the national championship. “the rich just keep getting richer” I’ve also heard schools down south are better funded in the sense that they have 3 full time coaches while in the north you mostly see 1 full time head coach and 2 part time (pay wise) assistants
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

vburk6 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:21 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:57 pm Adelphi wins 12-9 after a late game surge by St A's. Adelphi led 10-4 after 3Qs. Was 11-9 with 3 minutes left, but Adelphi had too much of a lead.

I believe for many years to come we will see the south region winning the national championship. “the rich just keep getting richer” I’ve also heard schools down south are better funded in the sense that they have 3 full time coaches while in the north you mostly see 1 full time head coach and 2 part time (pay wise) assistants
Also doesn't help when the good northern teams we had decided to reclassify as Division 1.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Yeti_33 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:44 pm

Also doesn't help when the good northern teams we had decided to reclassify as Division 1.
D2 bracket's getting expanded too. A lot of not great teams in the North will have the chance to make it.

I think Uindy, Marville, and Lewis could join the North just to make it a bit more competitive. All 3 were Tourney teams in the South. Maybe even just add in the whole GLVC. That'd include Rockhurst, Davenport, William Jewell, and Quincy.

Northwood is joining the RMAC next year and is in Michigan. Davenport is also in Michigan. In a crazy turn of events, if Northwood made the tournament and Davenport also made the tournament. Northwood would be competing in the North, and Davenport would be competing in the South- even though they're both in Michigan. Doesn't make much sense to me.
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

The North primarily ran division 2 for the past two decades. Relinquishing their dominance the past 2 years for sure, but largely with teams leaving to go to D1, closing, or merging. The list is quite extensive: Bryant, Merrimack, LIU Post, NYIT, Lemoyne, Dowling, and now Mercyhurst.

The south front runners are definitely the class of D2 (LR, Tampa, Limestone). There are other good teams but they I think fall within the same realm of the northern teams in terms of level of play.

Ideally some of the up and coming north teams continue to build and get back to ranks of the LeMoynes etc. I’m thinking Adelphi, Saint Anselm, Bentley, Mercy, Seton Hill will continue to improve and even out the north/south discrepancy in years to come.

Don’t count out Adelphi this Sunday. If Renner gets hot he is very difficult to score on. The Adelphi defense is solid, score earlier this year was 7-3 so I expect this to be a close game and possibly low scoring.
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:32 am

The North primarily ran division 2 for the past two decades. Relinquishing their dominance the past 2 years for sure, but largely with teams leaving to go to D1, closing, or merging. The list is quite extensive: Bryant, Merrimack, LIU Post, NYIT, Lemoyne, Dowling, and now Mercyhurst.

The south front runners are definitely the class of D2 (LR, Tampa, Limestone). There are other good teams but they I think fall within the same realm of the northern teams in terms of level of play.

Ideally some of the up and coming north teams continue to build and get back to ranks of the LeMoynes etc. I’m thinking Adelphi, Saint Anselm, Bentley, Mercy, Seton Hill will continue to improve and even out the north/south discrepancy in years to come.

Don’t count out Adelphi this Sunday. If Renner gets hot he is very difficult to score on. The Adelphi defense is solid, score earlier this year was 7-3 so I expect this to be a close game and possibly low scoring.
I don’t disagree with you not counting Adelphi out. Pensabene hasn’t played “good” all tournament at 43% vs limestone and 39% vs Tampa. If Adelphi starts scoring earlier they will shoot the lights out in Philly
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

vburk6 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:49 am

I don’t disagree with you not counting Adelphi out. Pensabene hasn’t played “good” all tournament at 43% vs limestone and 39% vs Tampa. If Adelphi starts scoring earlier they will shoot the lights out in Philly
Prior to the start of the tournament, I would have said this would be a low scoring game like 8-6 or 9-7.

But LR's defense has given up double digit goals in the last four games. I am sure Paradine is getting back to basics this week.

Adelphi can't win faceoffs and that is worrisome in a game like this. But they also are in this position despite that.

I have Lenoir Ryne winning 12-10.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

I think LR's senior class will be the difference maker. They were all freshman in 2021 and juniors in 2023. They know what it's like to lose it and they know what it's like to win it. With the latter being the preferred choice.

Adelphi hasn't been to the National Championship since 2011. While LR has a ton of experience on their side. This scenario reminds me of 2022, Mercyhurst worked its ass off to make it out of the North and to the Natty (first time since 2013). Just to run into a very HOT LR squad that had been there before.

Different styles of ball in the North and South. If LR plays at their pace... It'll be a long day for Adelphi.
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

D2fan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:25 pm

Prior to the start of the tournament, I would have said this would be a low scoring game like 8-6 or 9-7.

But LR's defense has given up double digit goals in the last four games. I am sure Paradine is getting back to basics this week.

Adelphi can't win faceoffs and that is worrisome in a game like this. But they also are in this position despite that.

Adelphi just got a faceoff guy back in their semi final game. In two previous games vs Saint Anselm they won 1 faceoff. They went 8-25 on Sunday. Still not good, but maybe this kid can give them a glimmer of competition at the X. Or at least muck it up.

They also didn’t have their top midfielder Steinbach when they played LR the first time I don’t think.

LR is elite, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see this be an 8-7 game. Picking the underdog Adelphi to take it in a close one.
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:09 pm

Adelphi just got a faceoff guy back in their semi final game. In two previous games vs Saint Anselm they won 1 faceoff. They went 8-25 on Sunday. Still not good, but maybe this kid can give them a glimmer of competition at the X. Or at least muck it up.

They also didn’t have their top midfielder Steinbach when they played LR the first time I don’t think.

LR is elite, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see this be an 8-7 game. Picking the underdog Adelphi to take it in a close one.
To be honest I don’t really care who wins though. I would rather have an 8-7 game than a 20 something to like 6 like it was last year. Lets just hope for a good game
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:09 pm

To be honest I don’t really care who wins though. I would rather have an 8-7 game than a 20 something to like 6 like it was last year. Lets just hope for a good game
D2LaxMan44!

Post by D2LaxMan44! »

Not this year. The NORTH is still here! Adelphi takes down LR to win the natty 12-10. With a strong second half and great performance by their first line midfield. More individual talent took the day for AU. Renner in net, then Steinbach, Harinski, and Lewis took over.
vburk6

Post by vburk6 »

D2LaxMan44! wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:57 pm

Not this year. The NORTH is still here! Adelphi takes down LR to win the natty 12-10. With a strong second half and great performance by their first line midfield. More individual talent took the day for AU. Renner in net, then Steinbach, Harinski, and Lewis took over.
I’m glad to be wrong in this situation had the score right 12-10 just going the wrong way…
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

vburk6 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:13 pm
D2LaxMan44! wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:57 pm

I’m glad to be wrong in this situation had the score right 12-10 just going the wrong way…
Same!

Adelphi looked tougher and determined. Big days from Steinbach and Harinski. Renner outplayed Pensabene and that ended up leading to an Adelphi win. Congrats Panthers... glad we had a great game.

Vburk... Saw your post on Renner potentially going to Michigan. He's a stud, could definitely see him making an impact. Although Junior goalie (and 1.5 year starter) Hunter Taylor may not like that happening. Michigan picked up Tyler Papa (Limestone 2020)- they pay attention to the D2 studs.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”